Starcraft Game Arrangement Thread. Also, buy House of the Dead: Overkill

Ok guys, have a very basic question because I was getting frustrated today when playing with Terran. How do you fight effectively with Marines and Medics?

Here's what was happening to me. I would select a group of 12 consisting of M&Ms. Hit 'A' and then a spot on the mini map. Well the marines would stop and attack on the way while the medics would go to that spot first, then stop, and then if close to a marine then heal. And then because of this they would be in between the marines and the enemy and then get killed pretty easily. Those that weren't dead were healing eachother instead of the marines!

Another case is that I had a group of M&Ms guarding a spot on my base so I had them 'hold ground' at the choke point. Well the marines did fine but the medics just stood there. I guess I should of just had the marines held ground but I figured the medics would do something since they were right there next to the marines. Uggh.

Any tips on how I should handle this?

Rperez, I have the same problems with medics, especially during attacks, because they move faster than marines and seem to have better path finding. So what ultimately happens is they'll rush a base and then just stand there, healing each other while a sunken/cannon slowly kills them. Then my marines show up with no healing support. I'm still working on this, but only option appears to be micromanagement.

Crotch, I will be gone until (at the earliest) 10:30 my time (9:30 for you). That is around the time I normally get on, so I don't imagine this to be a problem. Feel free to PM if needed. I'll respond if I can.

set a movement point prior to your attack point with your marines/medics...

Stim the marines and attack move.. the medics will run along healing the marines as they attack, and you should have more control in their general movement -- they won't move too far IN that way.. they MAY be left too far OUT..

Remeber if you hold ctrl as you click on a unit it will select all of the same type on the screen. Sometimes I would have to do that with lurkers to make sure only they burrow. Otherwise you just have to micro it really well. That's the problem with playing terran. Of course, if you can do it then it's worth it.

Fun game last night Crotch. I threw the replay up on the site.

I don't know why I seemed to do much better this time than I normally do, and I've identified the mistakes I made. It seems like you could have zealot rushed at any time and I wouldn't have been able to recover. Maybe the wall actually worked? Never seems to do so until whatever happened in that game.

I still keep thinking if you hadn't found the factories on the left, I could have made about 4-6 more tanks and then began an attack, all the while manufacturing about 6 at a time. That would have been interesting. Maybe I'll get another chance.

I'll be on tonight most likely just for fun.

I was wondering if there was any punishment for not being able to get the game in by night's end? I know cunphuzd has been around the weekend while I was gone, and I was on late last night and most of tonight trying to meet up with him (although I was mostly playing on East and checking in every hour or so). I think it would be unfair to award either of us the loss - so maybe we can get a day or so extension?

And cunphuzd, if you log on, stay on - if I'm not on, I will be shortly, unless it is after like 11:45 or so.

[quote name='ByRdO']I was wondering if there was any punishment for not being able to get the game in by night's end? I know cunphuzd has been around the weekend while I was gone, and I was on late last night and most of tonight trying to meet up with him (although I was mostly playing on East and checking in every hour or so). I think it would be unfair to award either of us the loss - so maybe we can get a day or so extension?

And cunphuzd, if you log on, stay on - if I'm not on, I will be shortly, unless it is after like 11:45 or so.[/quote]

cunphuzd doesn't read cag. let me know what time you want to play him and i'll give him a call.

Nice game last night Phoom. We should call it battle of the spore colonies. Everytime I had an edge I felt like I was just about to lose it and everytime you had an edge I felt like I was just about to lose the game. I was especially pissed at myself near the end when I realized I had an overlord over EVERY expansion except for the one place you expanded to :)

Yeah that was one intense game, I couldn't tell who had the upper hand or when the game was gonna end.

And just when I thought I had the game, you come out with a mass mutas out of nowhere .... my dumbest mistakes was not building spores in my main~!

Oh nice one when you made it sound like your natural was like your final base, I would have nearly suicided all my Mutas if I hadn't been so cautious ...

Yeah, they can be real smartasses some times. That's why I like playing with them.

I don't see the replay of phoom vs spectre. Do I have to log in or something? Now that we've made it to the 3rd rounds I expect the games to be much more entertaining.

BTW Ikai and I decided to have a best 2 out of 3 since there's no match after us. I assume that's what the rest of you will be doing in the semifinals and final?

Yeah, you gotta log in to see the Phoom vs Spectre replay.

I'm okay with the best of 3 semifinal-on rule, but does that go for loser bracket too?

[quote name='cletus']Hey Crotch, what program did you use to find everyone's apm? I wanna see my apm in a couple of games I had vs darren.[/QUOTE]
he just said it, BWchart :D

can someone point me to the replay of fatty77 and ty wilson? i don't see it on the site even after logging in. also, what is fatty77's alias on cag? tia.

I still can't figure out how to upload replays on our site. I'll just put these on rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/44374845/cletus_vs_ikai_round1.rep.html
I decided to try 2hatch muta and it didn't work out.

http://rapidshare.com/files/44375018/cletus_vs_ikai_round2.rep.html
I was overconfident.

Good games though and pretty fast too. Now that my part in this tourney is over I don't think I'll be playing as much anymore. There's always so much other stuff to do and not enough time for me to do them.

[quote name='jarvis307']can someone point me to the replay of fatty77 and ty wilson? i don't see it on the site even after logging in. also, what is fatty77's alias on cag? tia.[/QUOTE]

Jarvis, Ty Wilson never played me so I got my only victory by default, lol.

Yes, I champion more team melee games. I think Cletus and I are getting better at knowing what the hell needs to be done and by who. :)

Although I totally expected him to handle all the attacking and that I'd handle the base, where he thought the other way around. :)

You just have to let your partner do his thing and try not to move his scvs if they look like they are about to build something. Right Strell?

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Post here people with your results or upload the replays onto the Website so I know how the matches turn out.

Me and Spectre are preemptively set to play Sunday, so hopefully we can at least get the winner's bracket rolling

Alright remember people that I cannot update the OP so I will be posting details in replys or on the Website.

@Hero101: Currently we are in the middle of a tournament, now there one person who next round doesn't have a match, now the only thing is that that will be are #1 seeded person so I am gonna post a poll on the website asking the members if we should let you in this tourny or not.

If we don't let you in this time feel free to hit up the CAG channel on US west and play with us casually, the 2v2 tourny should start in a few weeks.

Just got a widescreen monitor today and I'm trying to figure out how to play Starcraft in a window to preserve the proper aspect ratio. Anyone come across this problem?

Tried the '-window' and '-w' commands on the shortcut properties window and no dice. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro and tried adjusting the "Catalyst Control Center' to turn off image scaling and still no luck. Any solutions?

Haha Kyo - I later watched the replay and I didn't think that I was that close to doing any damage to you. I figured you had 8 bases, and with the weird map style I had no idea of where you were :p

Well, me and Spectre still haven't played but we were scheduled to play yesterday... sorry if I missed you Spectre, I was on most of the night, but I didn't know what time you were looking for specifically. Hopefully we can meet up soon and get this match going.

Darthbudge,

Lordwow and I were supposed to play a match in the loser's bracket, but he has been very busy and has said he gives me the win.

So I guess I move forward in that bracket.

[quote name='Strell']Darthbudge,

Lordwow and I were supposed to play a match in the loser's bracket, but he has been very busy and has said he gives me the win.

So I guess I move forward in that bracket.[/QUOTE]

I confirm this, I will forfeit to Strell.

[quote name='ByRdO']Haha Kyo - I later watched the replay and I didn't think that I was that close to doing any damage to you. I figured you had 8 bases, and with the weird map style I had no idea of where you were :p

Well, me and Spectre still haven't played but we were scheduled to play yesterday... sorry if I missed you Spectre, I was on most of the night, but I didn't know what time you were looking for specifically. Hopefully we can meet up soon and get this match going.[/quote]

I will be online tonight between 10 and 12 pm EST, US West. Hopefully we can get our game played.

Sorry Spectre, I was out last night... could you make it tonight? Or even at some point during the day? I will be gone from 6-8:30 or so EST, but I can fit a match in at any point during the rest of the day.

[quote name='ByRdO']Sorry Spectre, I was out last night... could you make it tonight? Or even at some point during the day? I will be gone from 6-8:30 or so EST, but I can fit a match in at any point during the rest of the day.[/quote]

Lets try again tonight between 10 and 12. I will be on US West.

Okay Round 3 has officially ended, please post here if you played your match so I know who won. Also if you did not play your match post here and I will decide who tried more and they will advance.

Sorry Spectre - I did sign on at about 10:45 but my computer was giving me trouble and I signed off about 11. I can fit the match in today if darth is okay with it and you can make it - just tell me when is best for you.

Winners Bracket:
Ikai gets a bye.
A.wentz VS DARRRENC

Losers Bracket:
Blueshinra VS pcktlnt
HotShotX VS Phoom
Jarvis307 VS Strell
Spectre3353 VS Hero101

Is the winner of the loser's bracket going to be cycled back into the winner's bracket, for some form of a final/semi-final matchup?

~HotShotX

Sorry guys but I've decided to uninstall Starcraft. It was starting to take up all of my time and I think I may have been getting addicted. At least I eventually managed to beat Darren once (out of the dozen games we've played :p ). We should get together again when Starcraft 2 comes out.

I'm curious to know what happens to the loser of me and darren. That would leave the winner and Ikai in the winner's bracket, with 4 people winning their loser's bracket game and the loser of me and darren also still around.

I'm thinking that of the currently remaining loser bracket people, play should continue until there is only one of the eight remaining. Then, that one player should have to face the loser of me vs darren. And then, the winner of the game would play the loser of ikai vs (whoever wins between me and darren), with the winner of that game playing the winners-bracket winner, still with double-elimination rules in effect.

Also, are we at best-of-three yet?

Is that how things will continue? Darth, did crotch leave any sort of template on how to proceed, or are things completely your call?

Also, I am sad to see you go, cletus.

And, if this league is to have continued success we need more people to play. I'm thinking, maybe we can run tourneys only for CAG players exclusively, that will take place fully in one night. If we get 16 players or so, we can run a full 1v1 tournament in a matter of a couple of hours. I would be willing to run one of these as long as we could find a good time and date to do it. But, this should be discussed more after the conclusion of this tournament.

Anyways, good luck to those remaining and I look forward to letting you pound me in the ass, darren.

[quote name='cletus']Sorry guys but I've decided to uninstall Starcraft. It was starting to take up all of my time and I think I may have been getting addicted. At least I eventually managed to beat Darren once (out of the dozen games we've played :p ). We should get together again when Starcraft 2 comes out.[/QUOTE]

:(

My team melee partner :(

bread's done
Back