Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sufuma']If I understand steamprices right, the ultimate edition was 12.49 euros or $16 US.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Regular price was 40 euros, so 50% off would be 20 euros, which is more than $25

[quote name='jatan11t']Not true. Regular price was 40 euros, so 50% off would be 20 euros, which is more than $25[/QUOTE]

My mistake, I was looking at Pounds, not Euros.

My haul so far :D

Children of the Nile
CivCity: Rome
Patricians and Merchants Box (DarkStar One, Patrician 3, The Great Arts race)
Hinterland
Mirror's Edge
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Overlord Complete Pack
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sim City 4 Deluxe
Sniper Elite
X-Com: UFO Defense

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']damn would love Crysis Maximum edition for 5 euros instead of $10, any Europeans on here willing to help?[/QUOTE]

If maximum edition = Complete Pack (4.99 Euro for Normal + Warhead) then I can help you with that. Just leave a marketplace remark afterwards ^^

Man I love having games on Steam and not having to worry about disks/keys/patching - however I also feel really silly rebuying games I already own. I own boxed copies of Doom(s), Crysis, etc AND yet I feel compelled to buy the Steam version. Is that me being crazy? Anyone have any luck selling their old versions? Is there even a market for (used) boxed PC games?

-

[quote name='gunstar808']Man I love having games on Steam and not having to worry about disks/keys/patching - however I also feel really silly rebuying games I already own. I own boxed copies of Doom(s), Crysis, etc AND yet I feel compelled to buy the Steam version. Is that me being crazy? Anyone have any luck selling their old versions? Is there even a market for (used) boxed PC games?

-[/QUOTE]

Well, there's Goozex, Gametradingzone, eBay...

Anybody have any thoughts on Global Agenda? I would try the demo but with my connection I may not even finish downloading before the sale is over(that and I would have to leave my computer on all night).

[quote name='gunstar808']Man I love having games on Steam and not having to worry about disks/keys/patching - however I also feel really silly rebuying games I already own. I own boxed copies of Doom(s), Crysis, etc AND yet I feel compelled to buy the Steam version. Is that me being crazy? Anyone have any luck selling their old versions? Is there even a market for (used) boxed PC games?

-[/QUOTE]

If your games are in good condition, there's certainly a market for older boxed PC games on eBay. I'm selling my sealed boxed copy of KotOR on eBay for about $12.50 (got it for being a mod years ago and simply never got around to playing it), which more than covers the $2.50 I spent on the Steam version. You won't get what you originally paid for the game but you'll usually get more than enough to cover a digital purchase.

I can confirm that Crysis is cheaper in the Australian store. Price for Maximum edition is $7.50 US. Looking back at other daily deals Saints Row 2 was cheaper here. A lot more games seemed to be cheaper in the US store but it's nice to know it can go both ways. The other thing to remember here is that the Australian store still uses USD currency so any purchase attracts a currency conversion fee because my credit card account and bank account use Australian dollars which eats into the savings a little bit in this case and means other games work out slightly more expensive than they would otherwise be.

[quote name='BoringPat']It seems Australia pricing on Crysis is cheaper than US.

Crysis $3.74
Crysis Warhead $3.74
Crysis Maximum $7.49

Anyone from Australia can confirm?[/QUOTE]

Yes, those prices are correct. Europe (some if it anyway) seems to have a slightly better price for the Maximum/Complete pack at around $7 flat, although Crysis by itself is more expensive there.

-[/QUOTE]

I do it too. But selling our boxed copies is actually a smart idea! *gets right on it*

[quote name='DarkPGR']Worth noting steam is the only store with such a stupid policy. All other stores (including the Games for Windows Marketplace) have no problems with your IP.[/QUOTE]
Direct2Drive.com, Direct2Drive.co.uk and Direct2Drive.eu check your IP now, as does Impulse. EA Store won't even let me look at other country's EA store pages, always redirecting me to the EA store homepage for my current country. What did you mean by "only store"?

I have a question for everyone. I have not really paid much attention to the Steam Holiday Sales of past, but do they ever lower their bundles even further closer to the last day of the sale? I am interested in the Indie Beat Pack (even though I got Beat Hazard for free through PWYW (no Steam activation) and I have Chime on the 360) and the Indie Future Pack. Anyone know if there is precedence for bundles that are already crazy cheap getting cheaper?

Also, the main reason I want to get the Indie Beat Pack is for Beat Hazard's achievements. I would have just bought Beat Hazard by itself, but it turns out that the pack is the same price as the stand alone game, and I thought it would be closer to one or two dollars.

I really highly doubt they'll be lowering the indie packs anymore. They're basically already insanely low priced. There weren't indie packs in the previous holiday sales except Thanksgiving and basically the packs *are* the reductions.

[quote name='Pheace']I really highly doubt they'll be lowering the indie packs anymore. They're basically already insanely low priced. There weren't indie packs in the previous holiday sales except Thanksgiving and basically the packs *are* the reductions.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured. Alright! All doubts are erased from my mind, gonna get 'em! Thanks!

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']That's what I figured. Alright! All doubts are erased from my mind, gonna get 'em! Thanks![/QUOTE]

Might as well wait til the last day. Can't hurt. And there is a chance they'll slash prices.

YES! I've been waiting for another Crysis Max Pack deal. Bought! Rush looked cool too and the IGN review sealed the deal for me. Thanks eastx! I'll wait on Dirt 2 since i want the full racing pack.

Bought the Indie Rhythm Pack, and every game in it has been really fun except for Turba. Still, for $1, you really can't go wrong with any of these games.

[quote name='bigsick']this steam deal is killing my wallet. awesome sale.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many times "killing my wallet" is used on this site per day.

I'm waiting for these

Dead Space - < $5
Amnesia - < $5
Metro 2033 - < $10
Dawn of War II - < $5

I already picked up these

The Witcher - $5
Batman:AA - $7.50
Mass Effect 2 - $9.99
Fear 1&2 bundle - $9.99
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate - $24.99
Indie Fright pack - $4.99

= $62

[quote name='djesiret']are you f'n kidding me! I paid more for doom 2 by itself!! On floppy in 94'.[/QUOTE]

My Doom II came on CD in '94, but I hear ya. Its crazy how things have changed!

-

I don't know if anyone is still doing requests, but I would love to pay for a copy of ME2 and Alpha Protocol off anyone that has extras-I simply missed the sale. Will throw in a free HL2 or HL2 Ep1.

I'm new to Steam and this is my first year following the sales. So if a game is on sale, but not the daily sale, it's good to wait til the end and see if it goes cheaper, I've gathered that much. Does this count for indie games? I've been watching VVVVVV the whole time now, it's 50% off but is that as far as it will go, or should I continue watching it until Jan 2nd?

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']damn would love Crysis Maximum edition for 5 euros instead of $10, any Europeans on here willing to help?[/QUOTE]

If you (or anybody here) still need help you can pm me an i will gladly help

[quote name='gryphter']I'm new to Steam and this is my first year following the sales. So if a game is on sale, but not the daily sale, it's good to wait til the end and see if it goes cheaper, I've gathered that much. Does this count for indie games? I've been watching VVVVVV the whole time now, it's 50% off but is that as far as it will go, or should I continue watching it until Jan 2nd?[/QUOTE]

Always a chance a single indie game will be on sale.

Still, one of the indie packs will give you far more value though, unless you simply really don't want the other games :)

[quote name='gryphter']I'm new to Steam and this is my first year following the sales. So if a game is on sale, but not the daily sale, it's good to wait til the end and see if it goes cheaper, I've gathered that much. Does this count for indie games? I've been watching VVVVVV the whole time now, it's 50% off but is that as far as it will go, or should I continue watching it until Jan 2nd?[/QUOTE]Unless it's the Indie daily special, it'll keep that price until the end, so you can wait and see if it'll become the daily special.

Grabbed Rush...

It looks challenging

And about VVVVVV, since it is in one of the indie packs, I doubt it will go any cheaper than its current sale price.

Would love to get King's Bounty Platinum and Crysis Maximum, but I can't afford to buy anymore games for a while. Buying gifts for family and friends and previous daily deals has cleaned me out. Makes me sad I'll have to miss out on potentially awesome deals the rest of the sale.

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']Anybody have any thoughts on Global Agenda? I would try the demo but with my connection I may not even finish downloading before the sale is over(that and I would have to leave my computer on all night).[/QUOTE]

A friend and I tried the demo last night and neither of us thought it was bad but neither of us thought it was good enough to invest the time into it either. It may just be that we didn't know the game well or the demo but as noobs we had a hard time finding each other in the game. The enemies seemed fairly bland. The combat wasn't very satisfying. It was very heavy in the typical MMO tropes, collect this item from this person, kill 5 of these guys here, etc. Overall we decided that there are better games to invest time into and if we wanted to play an MMO there are even better free alternatives.

Picked up Rush - quite fun and well done. Also grabbed ProtoGalaxy - the Indie Deal of the Day - which is a strange combination of shooter/puzzler with co-op and level editing/sharing tools. Played a bit so far and it could be promising.

Also note Section 8 buyers - an updated version of that game (called Section 8 Prejudice) from a different publisher (same dev) is coming out very soon (at a $15 price point) and there's a good chance any S8 MP activity will move there. It's in open beta now.

[quote name='DarkPGR']
Worth noting steam is the only store with such a stupid policy. All other stores (including the Games for Windows Marketplace) have no problems with your IP. [/QUOTE]

Well that's not true at all. But we get it already... you are a GFWL fan or something and hate Steam. All of your posts seem to basically say the same thing.

[quote name='hal']Also note Section 8 buyers - an updated version of that game (called Section 8 Prejudice) from a different publisher (same dev) is coming out very soon (at a $15 price point) and there's a good chance any S8 MP activity will move there. It's in open beta now.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this is what is stopping me from wanting to buy Section 8. If it was $1/2 dollars though, I'd still buy it.

If this has been discussed at length in the earlier days of the sale I apologize as I haven't been following this thread since the beggining.

All of the indie packs look like great deals! I have pretty much sold myself on the kids pack, but the adventure, fright, fantasy and beat packs all look solid also. Anyone have anything to say about packs that are especially good / maybe not so?

And I am already aware they are all amazing deals, what can I say, I'm cheap. ;)

Oh and here is hoping for DoW2 gold for ten bucks or less before we are through!

its just about noon time....its my day off, im about to crack open a colt 45 and see what new deals steam has for us. if nothing good im playing assassins creed 2 and crysis all day.
a recap, Batman GOTY (7.50) shank (7.50) lara croft (5.10) AC2 DE (17.50) Crysis Max Ed (10.00) yeah thats not bad technically 6 games for 47.60 thank you steam we love you. viva la pc gaming!!!

[quote name='hal']
Also note Section 8 buyers - an updated version of that game (called Section 8 Prejudice) from a different publisher (same dev) is coming out very soon (at a $15 price point) and there's a good chance any S8 MP activity will move there. It's in open beta now.
[/QUOTE]

thanks for the tip. i thought this game was a bomb, didn't know another developer was going to do an update. was going to pick up the southpeak pack for it, but might just pick up individual titles that i want from it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back