Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hockey37']Is there car customization in GRID? Or do they just give you specific cars for certain challenges?[/QUOTE] You can create a team and pick your team colors. That's about it. I played the Xbox360 when it first released. I just bought the PC version yesterday and it is vastly superior! The mods are awesome. To be able to knock the graphics quality up to ultra is awesome. The cars and reflections on the cars are nothing short of amazing. Also, I always hated that yellow tint effect, and a mod took care of that. I'm lovin' it. I forgot how good this game is. $5 is more than a steal, and all the money goes towards a good cause.

The more I try to advance in Dredmor, the less I like it. Maybe I'm just burnt out on roguelikes though.

As a fan of beat-em-ups, old school heavy hitter stuff, I can say that the Watchmens games aren't that good. For the price, you can nab one of them. Rorshach's BULL RUSH charge is satisfying and if the whole game had been about poundings as fun as that it would have been great. Sadly, it isn't.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Nice Civ V deal - wish it had been a little further away from the summer sale![/QUOTE]

I wish the DLC was 66% off, too. :/

Civilization V is very tempting. But I am thinking of waiting until the giant sale later this year. Maybe it will be cheaper and also include the DLC...

I bought Altitude during the December 2010 sale. I'd have bought it much sooner though if I'd known about it. I'm at over 400 hours now. So addicting and never gets old.

Unfortunately it is probably not fun for new players and a lot won't give it enough time. You will die a lot and probably will be playing in new player servers where no one really knows how to play. Game is awesome after you figure out what you are doing and playing with experienced players.

Civ 5 Digital Deluxe Edition is $20 as well. (doesn't include all DLC- just Babylon and the soundtrack, etc.).

I'm going to try out Altitude it seems to have some potential.. but I hated the similar game on PSN (can't recall the name).

I also grabbed Grid at the last minute.. can't wait to try it out with some mods.

Chewbacca's Abortion;8687591 said:
I wonder if this is because the amount that Microsoft takes from each sale compared to how much Steam takes, or the actual amount of sales.
It could also be that this was an x-box live indie game (where it's swamped with tons of other x-box live indie games), and well this was featured on the front page of the steam store.

I mean steam is one of the few platforms that showcase indie as well as retail games very well. Steam is just awesome.

Also Beat Hazard Ultra has internet Radio Support now. This feature is pretty amazing since not only do you not know what your gonna hear next, but every playthrough is 100% different and everything still works as amazing as a normal song off the library. Plus you can add your own stations. When you choose a station you can play between 4 and 20 mins.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I
Also Beat Hazard Ultra has internet Radio Support now. This feature is pretty amazing since not only do you not know what your gonna hear next, but every playthrough is 100% different and everything still works as amazing as a normal song off the library. Plus you can add your own stations. When you choose a station you can play between 4 and 20 mins.[/QUOTE]

This may be the thing to tear me away from Dungeons of Dredmor for a while. Last.fm support I hope?

[quote name='Trelow']This may be the thing to tear me away from Dungeons of Dredmor for a while. Last.fm support I hope?[/QUOTE]
You can't play Last.fm stations but I am pretty sure you can scrobble from beat hazard. When I opened up beat hazard last night it asked me if I want to import my Last.fm account.

I actually only tried internet radio last night but I am pretty sure it scrobbles.

Picked up Watchmen Pt 1 + Pt 2 and the CSTW / BOD7 2-pack. Sounds like it's better to pick up the CSTW / BOD7 2-pack via Steam as the developer gets more money. Price is certainly right as well.

Chewbacca's Abortion;8687591 said:
I wonder if this is because the amount that Microsoft takes from each sale compared to how much Steam takes, or the actual amount of sales.
The sales themselves

If you follow to see how he talks about the sales it's the number of sales that he gets along with the idea that 1 and 3 is expensive for an indie game while it's cheap for a PC game.

[quote name='shrike4242'] Sounds like it's better to pick up the CSTW / BOD7 2-pack via Steam as the developer gets more money. Price is certainly right as well.[/QUOTE]
Yep, $1.50 for two RPG's even if they are not the best is a steal. Although these games are good.

I find it funny when you have companies like Capcom and their UMvC3 fiasco, then you have some indie developer offering two games for $3 or the Beat Hazard developer adding in things like internet radio and last fm support for free.

Tells you how times have changed.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yep, $1.50 for two RPG's even if they are not the best is a steal. Although these games are good.

I find it funny when you have companies like Capcom and their UMvC3 fiasco, then you have some indie developer offering two games for $3 or the Beat Hazard developer adding in things like internet radio and last fm support for free.

Tells you how times have changed.[/QUOTE]That's why I gave Steam my money instead of XBL, as I have more than enough XBLM points to purchase both games.

Here's one article about the money differences with CSTW and BOD7:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ie-rpg-struggles-on-xbox-thrives-on-steam.ars

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Eufloria is the daily deal today, 67% off at $4.99 from the original $14.99.[/QUOTE]
It's VERY slow to get a game started, but once the action starts there's a LOT of micromanagement to be done. Essentially you're simply waiting patiently for the first 20 minutes or so for your forces to build (maybe have some reading material nearby), then when you're ready to attack, suddenly it becomes this huge click-fest as you're giving directions to hundreds of little units at your disposal.

Visuals are pretty artistic and nice to look at, but if you're really playing the game then you're probably zoomed out anyway since it's so much easier to manage the battles when you have a clear view of the entire battlefield.

[quote name='shrike4242']That's why I gave Steam my money instead of XBL, as I have more than enough XBLM points to purchase both games.

Here's one article about the money differences with CSTW and BOD7:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ie-rpg-struggles-on-xbox-thrives-on-steam.ars[/QUOTE]Nothing against XBLM but it seriously seems like Steam is a more welcoming platform for games/game developers who make quality stuff. Especially after reading that, I like Steam more as a platform.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Eufloria is the daily deal today, 67% off at $4.99 from the original $14.99.[/QUOTE]
Anyone try this? It looks interesting.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yep, $1.50 for two RPG's even if they are not the best is a steal. Although these games are good.

Tells you how times have changed.[/QUOTE]

Capcom has probably already made more money on UMvC3 preorders (when they pay in full, I mean) than Zeboyd has made in the entire life Beat Hazard, or BoDVII and CStW combined.

The whole UMvC3 "fiasco" doesn't really matter much since most people complaining will buy it anyway. Capcom's basically been doing this for decades already. It's not really any different than all the DVD/BRD movies that have a tone of different releases a few months apart. People complain, but then buy anyway. It's a proven sales model.

I recommend both Eufloria and Altitude. Both are immensely fun. Eufloria is one of those games that is nice to look at and such and is also fun once you get far enough in. It does have its dull moments early on though.

Altitude is a great multiplayer game. I picked it up during the steam summer sale (along with a ton of other games) and haven't really played any other pc games since. If you find a server with some nice people who talk and such this game is an absolute blast.

[quote name='shrike4242']Picked up Watchmen Pt 1 + Pt 2 [/QUOTE]

I was thinking about buying them at the last minute but decided to hold off until it's $3ish for both games and not individually.

[quote name='Monroeski']Capcom has probably already made more money on UMvC3 preorders (when they pay in full, I mean) than Zeboyd has made in the entire life Beat Hazard, or BoDVII and CStW combined.
[/QUOTE]
Right but my point is that in today's world the market can support both and it's welcomed. Even if UMvC3 has already generated more money than those indie games, it's still nice to see that they can live and thrive on.

[quote name='shiftdeleted']

I also grabbed Grid at the last minute.. can't wait to try it out with some mods.[/QUOTE]

Seeing how I'm not computer savvy I've never used mods for a computer game. Are they hard to apply or does it depend on the game? I've read about how mods help out V:tMB and Torchlight, but I'm leery about trying to use them due to my poor computer skills.

I'm a fan of Eufloria. It's not perfect. But it's a nice chilled out little RTS. The sound is great. It takes a bit to get the hang of the mouse-only controls, but once you do, it's really quick and efficient.

The strategy (as noted earlier) is not very sophisticated - hunker down, develop a big force, then go overrun the AI. Very basic RTS strategy.

But boy is it fun to develop the "death star" pods and send them crashing into nearby planets, wiping out entire enemy fleets. That never gets old.

I paid $5 for this a couple of years ago on D2D, and played it over a few weeks as a "lunchtime" game. This is a perfect use for it- it's not a late-night high-strategy game.

Hope this helps someone.

[quote name='CapnO']Seeing how I'm not computer savvy I've never used mods for a computer game. Are they hard to apply or does it depend on the game? I've read about how mods help out V:tMB and Torchlight, but I'm leery about trying to use them due to my poor computer skills.[/QUOTE]

It depends on the game. For example, VtMB only requires you to download and run an .exe file, telling it your game directory. On the other hand, something like Oblivion, even with the mod managers available, is a pain in the ass because of things like loading order and compatibility between mods if you use more than one (and you'll want to use more than one).

On the plus side, every game I've seen with a large mod community also has great support to help you get them up and running, and mods really can make a game leaps and bounds better than it was.

[quote name='intent']Why is Eufloria only 66% off ($5.10) for me instead of 67%/$4.99?[/QUOTE]

I see $5.10, too. I don't think you're singled out. They don't usually do 67%, they usually do 66%.

Mine's 66% off too ($5.10). It was 67% a little bit ago. This is crazy. I can't believe they hiked up the price in the middle of the sale. Definitely not buying now ;)

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Mine's 66% off too ($5.10). It was 67% a little bit ago. This is crazy. I can't believe they hiked up the price in the middle of the sale. Definitely not buying now ;)[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, I can't believe they'd pull something like this. Wasn't it supposed to be a *daily* deal, like, for the whole day? I saw it for 67% off and was going to buy it after work today, but now that it's only 66% off I'm going to pass.

I'm really shocked and disappointed right now.

Steam outselling the XBLIG releases is nothing to be surprised about. XBLIG is a ghetto where reams of garbage sit right next to fantastic little gems like Vorpal and Sequence with no good way to sift through the chaff. (Indie game reviews are almost always unreliable, even the weekly updates at Eurogamer.) The XBL store interface is awful for the stuff Microsoft actually cares about. It's even WORSE for the indies. Points and buying are pains in the ass too. Steam gets front page news in a controlled environment with easy access to promo materials and descriptions for a game and an under $5 price in a system where it is almost easier than Amazon to make a payment in a few clicks. It's really wonderful.

That said, the only store interface that makes me long for XBL's garbage is PSN. Just dreadful, those two, but Sony is much worse.

Has anyone else tried the demo for Runespell: Overture? I played about 30 minutes of it and really liked it. I'm not hugely familiar with poker, but the mechanics seem pretty solid. Love the animations and concept.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Has anyone else tried the demo for Runespell: Overture? I played about 30 minutes of it and really liked it. I'm not hugely familiar with poker, but the mechanics seem pretty solid. Love the animations and concept.[/QUOTE]

Shipwreck played it. Did you check out his review?

[quote name='Monroeski']Capcom has probably already made more money on UMvC3 preorders (when they pay in full, I mean) than Zeboyd has made in the entire life Beat Hazard, or BoDVII and CStW combined.

[/QUOTE]

Um ok?

Thought about civ5 but got all these summer sale games I need to play first. I added you terbonurd if any cags wanna add me it's todzillaoh

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back