Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Any thoughts on The Ball? I am almost tempted on it because it's a $2.50 FPS with weird shit in it.

Dwarfs is meh to me, I don't need another mining game.[/QUOTE]
It's 5 dollars

[quote name='Jaysonguy']It's 5 dollars[/QUOTE]
Oh $5. Well I am a fan of the like weird FPS games like Doom, Quake, Serious Sam, etc... Stuff that has a lot of odd shit to kill. It looks kinda like a cross between portal and quake.

Grid for 5 bucks is a goddamn steal. Even with no multi it is by far one of the BEST racers out there. Also, from reading the forums on steam, even though the official multi servers are gone there seems to be some unofficial multiplayer servers going on.

Dwarfs for $2.50 sounds like my price range. Wasn't going to get anything else (I HAVE GOT TO STOP READING THIS THREAD) but when you have steamitis, its terminal. :p

I just wasted a bunch of money on the steam sale and here they put out Grid. GODDAMN YOU STEAM GOD! :p What should I do :'(. If I like Dirt 2 will I like this? even without the MP?

Three great games today. My thoughts:

Dwarfs?! is not at all like Terraria or Minecraft. It's sort of a strategy game in that you use resources to purchase things you need and train more dwarfs. It's a little bit like Lemmings in that you have to watch them because they're prone to getting themselves (and your whole world) into grave danger - they're autonomous. It's a very fun game and best of all there are several different modes and a completely entertaining tower-defense game to boot.

The Ball is kind of like Portal with a ball in that it's a first-person puzzler. There's tons of content including a super-cool portal-themed mission (remember it was part of the Portal 2 ARG), a survival mode, and a leaderboard. It's a good deal and it's a great looking game.

GRiD is a solid racer for $5.00. Well, for just about any price, really, so it's a steal at that price. Lots of mission-based racing, build your own team kind of stuff - not a sim, but very similar to its sister game, DiRT, except it isn't rally racing.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Did anyone think that?[/QUOTE]

I hope not, saying Dwarfs?! is like Terraria is like saying Super Mario Brothers is like Half-Life - because they both take place in indoor/outdoor environments.

[quote name='hal']GRiD is a solid racer for $5.00. Well, for just about any price, really, so it's a steal at that price. Lots of mission-based racing, build your own team kind of stuff - not a sim, but very similar to its sister game, DiRT, except it isn't rally racing.[/QUOTE]

What does mission-based racing mean? We're not talking Grand Theft Auto or anything, right? This is a track racing game? I just wonder what you mean by missions. Thanks for any further clarification.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Did anyone think that?[/QUOTE]

No idea, but with comments about "mining games" I didn't want anyone to get a false impression.

[quote name='gcorlett']What does mission-based racing mean? We're not talking Grand Theft Auto or anything, right? This is a track racing game? I just wonder what you mean by missions. Thanks for any further clarification.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a little vague and poorly worded on my part. It is indeed a track racing game. You're constantly presented with a choice of challenges like "race this kind of car on this kind of track and beat so-and-so to win a bonus". Very much like DiRT.

Somewhat tempted on GRiD because I've got a racing wheel, but I know I'll never use it because setting up/taking down the thing is kind of a bitch. Also tempted on The Ball, how long is the campaign?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Somewhat tempted on GRiD because I've got a racing wheel, but I know I'll never use it because setting up/taking down the thing is kind of a bitch. Also tempted on The Ball, how long is the campaign?[/QUOTE]

This website says around 6 hours.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide'] Also tempted on The Ball, how long is the campaign?[/QUOTE]
I played through the campaign on normal, played the bonus Portal maps, and messed around a bit in the survival maps and Steam says I've played about 8 hours

Anyone who's ever wanted to try a racing game: GRID is the best you'll ever get. It's Arcade-ey but extremely fun. Especially multiplayer. There's all sorts of cars including F3 and F1000. There's also destruction derby mode but you'll have to find a host willing to do that though :p On top of it all the graphics are very nice as well.

I've had some great and excitingly intence races with this game (I got it for 360 though).

[quote name='Therapy']Anyone who's ever wanted to try a racing game: GRID is the best you'll ever get. It's Arcade-ey but extremely fun. Especially multiplayer. There's all sorts of cars including F3 and F1000. There's also destruction derby mode but you'll have to find a host willing to do that though :p On top of it all the graphics are very nice as well.

I've had some great and excitingly intence races with this game (I got it for 360 though).[/QUOTE]

For PC does it have multiplayer? Steam says online single player.

From what ive been told, GRID online servers were taken down for good. So basically just a single player experience. Still I heard it was a GREAT single player experience in its own right.

After dying frequently for a bit, my husband I got the hang of Terraria and were playing it the last few hours. Definitely a time sink-hole! I'm looking forward to building an epic house, someday.

Bought The Ball. It looked too good to not pass up.

I really like these daily deals. It allows me to try new games without breaking my wallet (if I decide I like the game enough). I wont buy anything if it's over $10 unless I really want the game though.

[quote name='ShadowSx']No daily deal? Alteast its not showing for me.[/QUOTE]
Don't see anything. I will be assuming there is one especially since they still show dwarfs and the ball for the same price.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']It's showing for me that The Ball and Dwarfs! are still on sale, just not showing up under the daily deal.
Maybe they are having issues today[/QUOTE]
A day without issues for Steam is a good day :lol:. No matter what the deal is, lol.

According to their News page, Brainpipe is today's daily deal game. 66% off so the price is at $3.40. I'm not near my Steam client at the moment so I checked it through the site but I don't see a link to a demo there (not logged in to Steam). Any opinions on the game?

[quote name='dumlaox']According to their News page, Brainpipe is today's daily deal game. 66% off so the price is at $3.40. I'm not near my Steam client at the moment so I checked it through the site but I don't see a link to a demo there (not logged in to Steam). Any opinions on the game?[/QUOTE]
It looks like all you do is travel a vertical path and avoid objects coming at you. Looks like it would be fun for like 10-15 minutes then get boring.

Not really a daily deal...

But after sinking many hours over the past week into Dungeons of Dredmor, I would highly recommend my fellow CAG'ers pick this one up! I think today is the last day for 10% off, so go save that 50 cents!

[quote name='DeathDream']For PC does it have multiplayer? Steam says online single player.[/QUOTE]

Oops, I did not know that. Sorry... that severely limites the joy of the game I think. I only played it multiplayer. Racing games SP never interest me much...

Does anyone know if you can play it over LAN? Was kinda planning on trying that this weekend.

[quote name='jimbodan']Glad I held off on Dwarfs!? during the summer sale, definitely going to jump on that now for 75% off.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I knew after playing the demo it'd be an instant buy at $2.50 but I was surprised when it didn't go on sale. However I got it now.

[quote name='Therapy']Oops, I did not know that. Sorry... that severely limites the joy of the game I think. I only played it multiplayer. Racing games SP never interest me much...

Does anyone know if you can play it over LAN? Was kinda planning on trying that this weekend.[/QUOTE]

On another site I frequent they were talking about this deal, apparently you can play multiplayer still over tunngle or gameranger using the ingame LAN function. I am not familiar with either of those though, so I can not comment on quality.

The Watchmen deal would be better if it were a $3-$5 bundle. The games have been out for quite some time now and I don't think that is unreasonable to expect.

Altitude is great. A fun way to kill some time. Apparently there was a pretty big update today as well adding more maps, interface changes and balancing tweaks.

Tempted to get Civ5, but I'm still holding out eventually for a bundle deal that includes all the DLC. Besides, I've got PLENTY of strategy games to keep me occupied.

I know it's not a daily deal or anything. But has anyone bought Trapped Dead? I'm curious if it's any good, looks interesting enough.

Altitude is lots of fun. Can be played with a mouse, but pretty much requires a controller to be played well, IMO. Bought it last year and I've had a good time with it.

Decided to buy GRID before the deal ended, I'm a sucker for racing game (especially from Codemasters). I also went ahead and bought that new indie game, Runespell:Overture. It looks like fun so I said "what the hell" and just slyly added it to my cart. Oh Steam I love and hate you all at the same time!

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Cthulhu and Breath of Death made more revenue for the developer in one week on Steam than it did for an entire year+ on XBLIG. http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/20/steam-releases-of-cthulhu-saves-the-world-breath-of-death-vii-o/[/QUOTE]
Very, very cool. I really, really hope other developers take note and start releasing more XBLA games on PC, like Scott Pilgrim or any of the Double Fine games. There is absolutely no good reason those games aren't available on the PC, they would sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back