Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
In for The Ball and Sword and Soldier. Missed Global Agenda yesterday but no big deal. Nothing else for me, I will wait until I find PVZ cheap on XBLA.

Edit: Joined the S&SHD CAG Steam group.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pROvIs']I know it was mentioned before for different games but for all of you who bought BFBC2, I was able to get BFBC2: Vietnam which works with steam for $5. Also was able to get Sim City 4 and Mirror's edge for free from the following thread:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278843

For those interested BFBC2 Vietnam is just a code you put into your copy of the game to unlock the content. It's stored with your EA account.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

[quote name='pROvIs']Is the game only 3 hours long?[/QUOTE]

Steam says I played 3.3 hours and I went through the whole thing. So, either it was longer and didn't record the timec or yes.

It was a good ride though.

[quote name='pROvIs']Is the game only 3 hours long?[/QUOTE]

My first play through on the 360 took about 5-6 hours since I always take my time and repeat levels and such. Afterward I did a coop campaign on the hardest difficulty with a friend and we wanted to speed-run through it. Took easily less than 3 hours to pass it from start to finish on hardest. But we both knew what we were doing, were to go and what was coming. But yes, it is that short; fun though.

[quote name='Sufuma']Considering Amnesia due to all the praise, but I haven't even touched the Penumbra pack.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my issue. A question for anyone who's played both: should I wait until I have time to finish (and even start) the Penumbra games, or is Amnesia just so much better that I should throw the Penumbra games into my "Probably Will Never Play" pile and get on with the new game?

[quote name='Unicorntard']Im going to wait on Dead Space... I saw the trailer. It LOOKS great like Resident Evil 5, but it looks like its slow paced... just like Resident Evil 5. Am I right?[/QUOTE]

Resident Evil 5 was slow paced? You were shooting constantly.

[quote name='zillionandnine']So how's The Ball? I'm tempted by that ... The story sounds like my kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

There's a story, but it's not important to the game and it isn't really all that great. The game, however, is great fun. It's a first-person puzzler along the lines of Portal with a little bit of combat (using the ball) thrown in for good measure. The design work is top notch and I think anyone would enjoy the game for this price.

Oh yeah, and there's a nice little Survival mode with leaderboards too.

Whats weird about this is everyone has told me how awful the game is and somehow by people telling me its a short campaign I am interested in it. These days I prefer shorter experiences as I have less time. sigh steam you may get another $5 out of me.

[quote name='pROvIs']I know it was mentioned before for different games but for all of you who bought BFBC2, I was able to get BFBC2: Vietnam which works with steam for $5. Also was able to get Sim City 4 and Mirror's edge for free from the following thread:

For those interested BFBC2 Vietnam is just a code you put into your copy of the game to unlock the content. It's stored with your EA account.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'll have to try it out. That explains the no gifting policy of it on Steam I guess.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']
The Ball - No one gives this game love, its a fucking blast.
.[/QUOTE]

I looked at it again, and it does look like a lot of fun. No multiplayer means I don't have to feel bad that I'm not playing that part of the game.

[quote name='SelmaBlair']Resident Evil 5 was slow paced? You were shooting constantly.[/QUOTE]

Well, except for that whole Tomb Raider level which was pulling a bunch of levers, running through mazes and adjusting mirros. Level 4-1 and 4-2? That level really, really sucked the steam out of RE5 for me. I was really enjoying it until it went all Lara Croft on me. I don't understand what made them throw some ridiculous crap like that into a zombie horror game.

[quote name='avwjase']Well, except for that whole Tomb Raider level which was pulling a bunch of levers, running through mazes and adjusting mirros. Level 4-1 and 4-2? That level really, really sucked the steam out of RE5 for me. I was really enjoying it until it went all Lara Croft on me. I don't understand what made them throw some ridiculous crap like that into a zombie horror game.[/QUOTE]
I had more laughs on that part in coop then the rest of the game :)

[quote name='gbpackers94']Is Company of Heroes any good?[/QUOTE]

Yes, very good.

192b81336e873e7c6f766933001cc730866a8970_full.jpg

Everyone who gets Swords & Soldiers HD, please join the CAG Swords & Soldiers Steam group!

[quote name='legendarydogs']The only good deal so far was Deus Ex collection for 2.50 or whatever it was.[/QUOTE]

Hilarious! Please continue to post in this thread.

[quote name='folkmojo']okay.....the music video thingy popcap did for PvZ totally sold me. That was really funny.[/QUOTE]

I don't even have the game and I still listen to that regularly xD

[quote name='jezz.torrent']Exactly my issue. A question for anyone who's played both: should I wait until I have time to finish (and even start) the Penumbra games, or is Amnesia just so much better that I should throw the Penumbra games into my "Probably Will Never Play" pile and get on with the new game?[/QUOTE]

If you play Penumbra you only have to play Overture and Black Plague, which are about 5-6 hours a pop. You can skip Requiem as it's not very good and isn't even considered canon. Amnesia is indeed better but the Penumbra series is well worth playing.

[quote name='pROvIs']Sure, but then you would have to pay close to full price for the second game. I think its better to buy now and wait for that to drop later.[/QUOTE]

Well, what I was saying it they might put the original at 75% off then and the suggested retail might drop from $2- to $15 or $10 as well.... If retail drops to $10 and is at 75% off, you would get Dead SPace 1 for $2.50 then... If it drops to $15, it's $3.75... Or am I just dreaming??? :whistle2:#

Got BF Vietnam for $5 and the Spectat Kit upgrade for free. The latter is tied to your EA account, no code necessary, so make sure you add the Spectat Kit in the cart!

Thanks again!

[quote name='jazyje']Well, what I was saying it they might put the original at 75% off then and the suggested retail might drop from $2- to $15 or $10 as well.... If retail drops to $10 and is at 75% off, you would get Dead SPace 1 for $2.50 then... If it drops to $15, it's $3.75... Or am I just dreaming??? :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]
The 1st game is usually cheapest right before the sequel comes out, or a year after the sequel comes out. The right before the sequel comes out is right now for Dead Space, just as it was for Batman, Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, and The Witcher this Steam sale.

The next price drop is a year after the sequel comes out, and/or right before the 3rd game in the series comes out, as it currently was for Bioshock 1 and Mass Effect 1.

Do you want to wait a year after Dead Space 2 comes out to play Dead Space 1?

[quote name='jazyje']Isn't Dead Space 2 coming out in January??? I'm sure once that one is out the original will either be bundled in with the new version or cheaper....[/QUOTE]
Nah, this is the price drop right now. They want to get everyone playing Dead Space, get them hooked, and then get them to pre-order Dead Space 2 at full MSRP. The prime time to get new customers is right before the sequel hits. There's no point to lowering the price on Dead Space 1 AFTER 2 is released, unless it's a year or two later and they're prepping for Dead Space 3.

considering picking up pvz and someone posted this last time it amnesia was on sale it deserves to be shared more. Horror definitely not my genre but found this amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loSzpvq73FY

ended up picking up rush during yesterdays sale, and passed on King's bounty after playing both the demos, despite KB reminding me of a game I sort of want to play again, lords of magic, not enough to buy it on gog for $3 though.

Picked up Amnesia and Swords and Soldiers. Too bad Quake pack isn't a little cheaper, I would have bit at around $7.50, too much double dipping with my physical discs for that price.

[quote name='oscargrouch']Picked up Amnesia and Swords and Soldiers. Too bad Quake pack isn't a little cheaper, I would have bit at around $7.50, too much double dipping with my physical discs for that price.[/QUOTE]
The more and more we distance ourselves from the "Quake Era," the more I realize that to this day Doom is still their premier franchise. Each Quake game did a ton for us technologically, especially for online multiplayer and Open GL, but none of them seem like good games to go back and play. I think they are best left as relics of the past to be remembered fondly.

[quote name='guyver2077']Im actually interested in Kane and Lynch 2 (since playing with them in Lara Croft dlc). Is it a GFWL title?

too bad its not a bundle with the first game since ive missed out on the series so far. I wonder if they patched up some of those graphical issues from the review[/QUOTE]
It's not GFWL, and what graphical issues? You mean the nausea inducing visual style? That's sadly intentional. I had a headache after 5 minutes, and had to quit after 10.

But maybe I'm just more sensitive to that stuff. Playing Doom 1 and 2 now gives me some faint motion sickness too (I blame the super low resolution).

[quote name='plutoknight']Plants v. Zombies was fun for a while but I grew bored of it. $4.00 would have been a much reasonable price for it imo.
[/QUOTE]

Whereas I played it for over 60 hours on Steam and several hours on the XBLA version. It's my favorite tower defense game ever and has so much stuff to do that I never get bored.

[quote name='eastx']Whereas I played it for over 60 hours on Steam and several hours on the XBLA version. It's my favorite tower defense game ever and has so much stuff to do that I never get bored.[/QUOTE]
amen, I second that brother!

So is Amnesia in anyway a sequel/continue the story of Penumbra? I have Overture, but haven't played yet, so I'm wondering if I should play the Penumbra games first, or just play Amnesia and revisit Penumbra later on.

[quote name='blitztwn36']So is Amnesia in anyway a sequel/continue the story of Penumbra? I have Overture, but haven't played yet, so I'm wondering if I should play the Penumbra games first, or just play Amnesia and revisit Penumbra later on.[/QUOTE]

No. Totally different stories. Similar gameplay though.

[quote name='Mike UFC']No. Totally different stories. Similar gameplay though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I'm going to streamline Amnesia to the top of my queue since I heard it's relatively short, but is just so dang good.

(Speaking of which, I think I'm totally backward on gaming, as I love games I can finish in around 10 hours. There's just so much to play and so little time!)

[quote name='eastx']Whereas I played it for over 60 hours on Steam and several hours on the XBLA version. It's my favorite tower defense game ever and has so much stuff to do that I never get bored.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='pROvIs']amen, I second that brother![/QUOTE]

It's nice seeing both sides, and I even played the demo for a bit and enjoyed it... But, that would knock my budget (which I had to set in place) down to $12.50 left for the next couple of days. Thankfully, since I can't really run anything too grand, that takes away from most everything priced about $5 or $6, but I'm still just in a bind. I could see really getting $4 out of this, but I do want to end the sale with something really nice and pick up a few fillers along the way... Decisions decisions... Thanks guys!

[quote name='blitztwn36']Thanks - I'm going to streamline Amnesia to the top of my queue since I heard it's relatively short, but is just so dang good.

(Speaking of which, I think I'm totally backward on gaming, as I love games I can finish in around 10 hours. There's just so much to play and so little time!)[/QUOTE]

Amnesia lasted just over 5 hrs for me. Very worth it @ the sale price.

[quote name='Vulgarism']It's nice seeing both sides, and I even played the demo for a bit and enjoyed it... But, that would knock my budget (which I had to set in place) down to $12.50 left for the next couple of days. Thankfully, since I can't really run anything too grand, that takes away from most everything priced about $5 or $6, but I'm still just in a bind. I could see really getting $4 out of this, but I do want to end the sale with something really nice and pick up a few fillers along the way... Decisions decisions... Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Put me down as another who highly recommends Plants vs. Zombies. According to Steam I put in over 200 hours, though a bunch of that was just letting my snail collect coins for me.

This will put how I feel about PvZ in perspective. The list of games I will buy first day of release/full price is as follows:

Any Bioware game
Any new Diablo game
Plants vs. Zombies sequel.

Lucky for me I have talked myself back down to considering just three of these titles.

Definitely in for PvZ, loved the demo.

Downloading Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway on my 360 to see if I want that. If I like it, would any of you suggest the two older titles as well? Or just play the newest for 5 bucks?

Also haven't completely ruled out Sniper: Ghost Warrior as the atmosphere intrigues me. Someone talk me off the edge on this game, because I know every critic said it is bad, but I need a person or two to reinforce that with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back