Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='UNDERSTAR']So which has a better kickass online community, M&B or Warband? I DEMAND SATISFACTION![/QUOTE]

The original doesn't have multiplayer, I just picked up Warband just for the multiplayer.

I bought the originla M&B when it was a Steam sale for $5 or something...dropped 24 hours into (almost straight) and loved it. However, I am still wondering whether or not to wait for the Warband drop even more, or a better package deal down the line. Backlog is killing me at the moment, but...$6 seems pretty decent.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']The original doesn't have multiplayer, I just picked up Warband just for the multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Well thank you my good sir!!!!:)

[quote name='utopianmachine']Anyone guess the liklihood Steam will match the EA sale? Or that EA will let Steam match it? Or however that works?[/QUOTE]

Not a chance.

EA likes to fleece the rest of the world with their games before finally lowering price on their games 6+months later compared to US, so generally, except closer to big sales, the pricing's completely different for US/EU, far in favor for US. That's why generally EA sales are almost exclusively for the US. (admittedly last easter was an exception)

[quote name='Pheace']Not a chance.

EA likes to fleece the rest of the world with their games before finally lowering price on their games 6+months later compared to US, so generally, except closer to big sales, the pricing's completely different for US/EU, far in favor for US. That's why generally EA sales are almost exclusively for the US. (admittedly last easter was an exception)[/QUOTE]

Ah well. Just started playing Sims 3 on 360, and it'd be so much nicer to play on PC. And since I apparently like to support monopolies, I wanted to get the game through Steam. ;)

But not at it's current Steam price of $40.

I've thought about getting Mount & Blade in the past, and after finally playing the demo for a bit I finally got Warband today. I think RollingSkull's comparison to Pirates! seems to be spot on. But I love that game, and so far am loving this one.

[quote name='loafing...']I've thought about getting Mount & Blade in the past, and after finally playing the demo for a bit I finally got Warband today. I think RollingSkull's comparison to Pirates! seems to be spot on. But I love that game, and so far am loving this one.[/QUOTE]

And there you have it. In a nutshell, it captures some of the charm of Sid Meier's Pirates! but in a Medieval setting. Sprinkle in a fairly cool combat system and a completely moddable experience and a small price tag and you've summed up why the M&B series is such a fan hit. There's plenty of graphic upgrades and gameplay mods for the original M&B which is why it's still being sold (fairly cheap at that). I've never upgraded to Warband because the best mods are mainly for stock M&B. This is a no brainer for me, $6 for Warband, but to I shell out the extra cash for the Fire&Sword expansion. Sounds a lot like a mod, but it might revolutionize the existing mods with firearms. It looks like I can save $0.50 if I buy them separate ($5.99 + $13.49 vs. $19.99 for complete package).

[quote name='pROvIs']Still seems a bit too high to bite on DAII[/QUOTE]

agreed the price is still too high, I grabbed DA II when it was on sale on the EA store (rpg weekend sale) using a b-day code I brought it down to $30 plus I got Mass Effect 2 for free along with it, definitely going to grab DA Ultimate for that price

Really thinking of getting DA:U for 20 bucks. Played a little of the 360 version and didnt think it was to bad. I've been dying for some kind of RPG game. Just reinstalled Oblivion this weekend. Is this a good bang for the buck game? I think it might be what im looking for but unsure.

Thanks for the help! :)

ps - That 30 secs to Mars song kinda killed the trailer for me lol :)

[quote name='BluePotato']And Dragon Age: Origins (non-Ultimate Edition) is $14.99.[/QUOTE]

But Ultimate comes with both Origins and Origins Awakening. If you don't want the awakening DLC/Expansion pack, then sure, the non-ultimate can be had for $14.99.

[quote name='slofton']Really thinking of getting DA:U for 20 bucks. Played a little of the 360 version and didnt think it was to bad. I've been dying for some kind of RPG game. Just reinstalled Oblivion this weekend. Is this a good bang for the buck game? I think it might be what im looking for but unsure.

Thanks for the help! :)

ps - That 30 secs to Mars song kinda killed the trailer for me lol :)[/QUOTE]

DA:O is probably one of the best PC RPGs (and COMPLETELY different from its sequel) in recent years, and fairly more enjoyable on a PC rather than a console. A large number of pros:

1) Unique introductions based on race/class...adds some re playability, at least for the first hour.

2) I probably got about 80 hours of gameplay from it and the Awakenings expansion.

3) Decent choices and consequences...there are quests where your choice actually makes a difference on the story and other quests. That means its a little less linear than Oblivion, but I wouldn't say it matches The Witcher.

4) Actually requires the use of party based tactics on higher difficulties.

I bought this when EA was offering it for $20, and had NO regrets (although I played it much earlier with a friend's copy). I wish I had waited for Steam, but regardless, DA:O was a game that I was glad I bought.

Oh, and about the trailer - yeah, leading up to the game's release there were a lot of crappy trailers that made this "the new shit" mature face of RPGs, but PLEASE look past it - the game was very much an unexpected surprise.

[quote name='mrfossey']DA:O is probably one of the best PC RPGs (and COMPLETELY different from its sequel) in recent years, and fairly more enjoyable on a PC rather than a console. A large number of pros:

1) Unique introductions based on race/class...adds some re playability, at least for the first hour.

2) I probably got about 80 hours of gameplay from it and the Awakenings expansion.

3) Decent choices and consequences...there are quests where your choice actually makes a difference on the story and other quests. That means its a little less linear than Oblivion, but I wouldn't say it matches The Witcher.

4) Actually requires the use of party based tactics on higher difficulties.

I bought this when EA was offering it for $20, and had NO regrets (although I played it much earlier with a friend's copy). I wish I had waited for Steam, but regardless, DA:O was a game that I was glad I bought.

Oh, and about the trailer - yeah, leading up to the game's release there were a lot of crappy trailers that made this "the new shit" mature face of RPGs, but PLEASE look past it - the game was very much an unexpected surprise.[/QUOTE]

SOLD! Thanks mrfossey!

[quote name='slofton']Really thinking of getting DA:U for 20 bucks. Played a little of the 360 version and didnt think it was to bad. I've been dying for some kind of RPG game. Just reinstalled Oblivion this weekend. Is this a good bang for the buck game? [/QUOTE]

120 hours in on just DA:O and the DLC - haven't even touched the Awakenings expansion yet. As the poster above mentioned there are unique intro pieces and plot lines for each of the eight major race/skill combinations and as many endings. There are many major decisions you make along the way that have sometimes surprising effects on the ending. DA:U for 19 bucks is the very definition of bang-for-buck!

Just a word of warning for anyone wanting to get Dead Space 2 at some point (I was real jazzed about it until I saw this), the game has 3rd party DRM on Steam although it's not listed in its usual manner on Steam, need to check the online disclaimer to see it.

The game uses Tages solidshield, same as Crysis 2 and probably all future EA releases on Steam.

Honestly I wasn't crazy about DA:O, just too long and too repetitive, I got bored of the game after over 20 hours of playing. Not to say the game isn't fun, just it's plot was gripping enough to keep me interested after so long. I really have no intrest in playing Awakening or 2.

I know my thread got deleted but can we change the title of this one so people know about this. I was hugely excited about this game and alot of people don't bother to click into this thread they just skim the title for the top deal. Like I did. lol

I kind of wish I hadn't picked up the 360 version at Target right now - I can't justify paying another $20 for a game I haven't had time to play yet, even though I'd rather have the PC version... :whistle2:/

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I know my thread got deleted but can we change the title of this one so people know about this. I was hugely excited about this game and alot of people don't bother to click into this thread they just skim the title for the top deal. Like I did. lol[/QUOTE]

Personally, I still think the site should just use independent threads for deals on Steam like we used to - this doesn't help anything, because it's a lot harder to tell when a new deal begins.

Picked up DA:O UE. Hit the price point that I was waiting for on Steam. My sister has been telling me that she's thoroughly enjoyed it through multiple playthroughs (on the 360).

I've been wanting to get DA on Steam for a while (played it some on 360 and couldn't get past the controls) and this may come across as a little spoiled or entitled, but $20 still seems a little high to me :bouncy:

What are the chances we will see it cheaper in the very-possible summer sale?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Personally, I still think the site should just use independent threads for deals on Steam like we used to - this doesn't help anything, because it's a lot harder to tell when a new deal begins.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. At least for 24-hour sales.

EastX does good work, but this thread falls flat on time-sensitive sales.

While I'm posting, does anyone know anything about Hydrophobia: Prophecy? Good looking game, and only $10.19 during pre-order. But I've never heard of it.

[quote name='loafing...']I've been wanting to get DA on Steam for a while (played it some on 360 and couldn't get past the controls) and this may come across as a little spoiled or entitled, but $20 still seems a little high to me :bouncy:

What are the chances we will see it cheaper in the very-possible summer sale?[/QUOTE]

Probably slim to none. I can't imagine they'd decide to mark it down further between now and then, especially since their track record for the big sales says if they put anything up, it'll be the older titles like Burnout or Mirror's Edge.

[quote name='loafing...']I've been wanting to get DA on Steam for a while (played it some on 360 and couldn't get past the controls) and this may come across as a little spoiled or entitled, but $20 still seems a little high to me :bouncy:

What are the chances we will see it cheaper in the very-possible summer sale?[/QUOTE]

same here, waiting on dragon age ultimate edition and mass effect 2 to hit 15 dollar each. ive waited this long, i can wait longer

[quote name='gcorlett']EastX does good work, but this thread falls flat on time-sensitive sales.[/QUOTE]

...which is all of them. ;)

People have lives they need to attend to. That's fine. I just think it's a lot easier to do separate threads unless we're in the middle of one of the big Steam sales. Trying to find useful information in a thread that's full of a few thousand outdated posts is borderline impossible.

The only reason I knew that there was a sale today was because I saw it on the front page of Steam. The title here doesn't indicate that (yet), and for all I knew you guys were still talking about Mount and Blade.

IMO, if the thread isn't updated at 1pm eastern every single day (or at least every day there is a new deal, which is most of them), then it is worthless and there should be individual threads.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Personally, I still think the site should just use independent threads for deals on Steam like we used to - this doesn't help anything, because it's a lot harder to tell when a new deal begins.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. So many people are gonna miss this. Even if this thread were updated tonight people will miss it because they came to CAG earlier and it wasn't posted. I love eastx but I almost missed this and I've been waiting for a LONG time on this one.

Can threads in this forum be wikified?

I'm hoping for the Deathspank games and maybe Hot Pursuit. I imagine Bulletstorm will be amongst the sale games since they had it on sale over the last week or two already.

[quote name='gcorlett']Agreed. At least for 24-hour sales.

EastX does good work, but this thread falls flat on time-sensitive sales.

While I'm posting, does anyone know anything about Hydrophobia: Prophecy? Good looking game, and only $10.19 during pre-order. But I've never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

It looks interesting but I am a bit wary of getting it since this is the third re-release of the game and the reviews of the initial xbla version were pretty low. A demo of this new version would be nice.

I agree with this, it would catch my attention faster. Maybe have a mega thread for the big sales.

I haven't played it yet, but I've been told Hydrophobia has been vastly improved over the original release.

BTW, on the one-thread-or-many issue, I've always felt the best solution is the main thread for general discussion with new threads created to call attention to new sales, possibly with a link to the main thread. A wiki thread could work, too.

[quote name='hal']Can threads in this forum be wikified?

I'm hoping for the Deathspank games and maybe Hot Pursuit. I imagine Bulletstorm will be amongst the sale games since they had it on sale over the last week or two already.[/QUOTE]

i'm in for deathspank as well. i'd probably pick up the new risk game at

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Funny, I was just about to pick up a physical copy of DA:O UE for $20, but decided I could wait since I have so much to play. Then this shows up.[/QUOTE]

Wheres the physical copy at?

[quote name='slofton']

ps - That 30 secs to Mars song kinda killed the trailer for me lol :)[/QUOTE]

Seriously, that's some crap music.

I'm in the boat with others who've waited but have so much else to play that they're gonna wait a little longer for a better price. It's very tempting, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back