Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to get 20 of them and had a great time getting all of them. Kinda wished I could have gotten 28, but I wasn't going to buy codblops just for the objective.

I got 17. I wasn't about to try 28. I had most of them already and had fun with some of the objectives. Some were annoying as could be, though. After playing a few of those indie games for those objectives I can see they need some promotion like that to get you to play them. I certainly wouldn't have otherwise.

I got my two hats for TF2 which I play a lot. So I'm satisfied.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Ahahaha, the Flight Control objective is the one I have the most overkill on. I actually bought that game on launch, and I already had a score of about 200 on that level, but oddly, the objective didn't automatically register, so I had to go play it again.

Looking forward to tomorrow. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Beat Hazard was that way for me. I had already crushed that score because I bought the game during the summer sale and played the heck out of it. It didn't register so I had to go back in and do it real quick. I'm actually glad they had this thing because I hadn't played Beat Hazard in a month or so. This promotion actually reminded of how much I like that game.

I did 7 objectives, and I have no idea if I'll actually log in on the 20th. (Depends on if I need to buy something on the Holiday Sale's first day.) Nevertheless, it was a fun diversion.

I didn't expect to participate at all, but I was able to snag most of my seven objectives with little or no effort. (For example, the objective for Bob Came in Pieces, was already completed.) Even though I didn't reach the full 10, I still found it entertaining.

Good job, everyone.

I only completed 6. I could write a referral and get a 7th one but it'd be pointless. At least I'm eligible for the 5 game drawing.

I hit 16 objectives. Congratulations to everyone who made it past the 10 mark!

This was actually my favorite Steam sale ever as it was so creative and encouraged people to actually play their games and explore Steam features. I wasn't concerned with buying a lot of games as the holiday sale is literally right around the corner, but I was glad to have fun with the Treasure Hunt.

[quote name='Lost Loser']I only completed 6. I could write a referral and get a 7th one but it'd be pointless. At least I'm eligible for the 5 game drawing.[/QUOTE]

Actually since that's still today's objective if you did it you would get another entry for today's drawing of 5 free games.

12 objectives completed, all i could do with the games i have. I would have more if I had bought a few more games but kinda broke now heh
We got one more day so we'll see if any of the sales tomorrow can put at 15 hehe

16 objectives complete here! Eligible for the 100 games grand prize and got the TF2 hat. Only treasure hunts games I bought were Poker Night and Chime and Flight Control was gifted to me (thanks again!). Ha, I didn't even win the Iron Curtain in Poker Night. Too much bullshit going on and after 4 hours of play, I gave up.

I'm certainly looking forward to the big sale tomorrow! Am REALLY hoping for awesome deals on Dragon Age Ultimate ($25 or lower) and The Witcher ($7.50 or less). Oh, and the Claptrap DLC for Borderlands ($3ish)

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Actually since that's still today's objective if you did it you would get another entry for today's drawing of 5 free games.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't know that each objective counted as an entry.

20 objectives for me. I didn't try very hard, I guess I'm just a sucker for indie and/or cheap games.

Starting tomorrow, I'm hoping for deals on The Witcher, Shank, Assassin's Creed, and ME 1/2. Dead Space and BioShock 2 would be nice, too, I know they were cheap last year, maybe they'll re-run them.

Bah, at 9 and don't want to pay for another game just to have a slight chance at the big prize. I have L4D2 that I could get the achievement on, but I've not even played it yet and I don't have time before I have to sleep so I can get up for work. Woulda been easy were I still a kid in school.

Ended with 13, I was tempted to buy some more games but when I thought about how I would be spending money to get TF2 hats, that's a line I'd rather not cross.

[quote name='BitLooter']20 objectives for me. I didn't try very hard, I guess I'm just a sucker for indie and/or cheap games.

Starting tomorrow, I'm hoping for deals on The Witcher, Shank, Assassin's Creed, and ME 1/2. Dead Space and BioShock 2 would be nice, too, I know they were cheap last year, maybe they'll re-run them.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see The Witcher, Shank, and ME 2 for between 50-75% off. These Steam sales really brings out the CheapA$$ in me!

I am not seeing enough Steamcards in people's sigs! You can get a Steamcard like mine here:

Steamcard.com

eastx.png

[quote name='panzerfaust']what time does the christmas sale start?[/QUOTE]

Should start at 10 AM PST on Monday.

I got 10 total accomplishments, so I'm eligible for the grand prize. Thanks to those who friended me; much appreciated!

I also think this was a terrific promotion and very original. I like that they made it possible to earn even a few things, many of them passively. I really hate promotions that are all-or-nothing. I don't have a ton of time these days, so that's really appreciated. I also like that it got me to check out some features of Steam I have ignored for too long.

Good luck to all of you in the contest!

Ended up with 23. Could've had 24 but I don't think I wanna pick up Flight Control HD. Only games I bought during the sale were Chime and AaaaAaaAaAAAA.

[quote name='panzerfaust']what time does the christmas sale start?[/QUOTE]

I have the same question. And is there a list of what's gonna be on sale already?

Should start at 10AM PST like all of their previous sales. Other than the rumored leaked Indie packs (presumably one per day) nobody knows what else will be on sale.

got to 10. hadn't even looked at the treasure hunt until a few hours ago. noticed I already had 5 treasures, so I said what the hell let's get to 10 and get into the contest.

Looks like I might hit 9 objectives if I can get a few friends real quick. Add me: rockstarnati

Too bad I don't see any way to get 10 objectives since I don't own any of the games involved except Just Cause 2.

I managed to get the 10 points, the last one belonging to Flight Control HD. Glad I held out on buying it because I was already going to get it at $5.00. Let's see how much money goes bye bye from my wallet with this years Christmas sale.

I have 13 objectives, I wanted to get to 15 so I could get the other TF2 hat... whatever. I'm excited for the Christmas deals, I will probably go broke :p

My wife is going to be so angry at me this xmas steam sale.

So far Im planning on buying a 4 pack of serious sam hd (me, my son, my cousin, his son) and that Potato Pack if its 30 or less (plz plz plz plz). I can think of tons of other stuff Ill order given a decent price. The Witcher Enhanced Edition (I need this... badly), still debating on 10 dollar worms while I got a couple hours left. Just ordered my father Restrepo on DVD for xmas last minute for way too much.

I need BFBC2 and the expansion (black ops/treyarch can kiss my ass at this point).

I think Im done buying indie games. Even at 2-3 bucks... I get maybe an hour or 2 of play per every 5 games. Im just not that into them. Hmmmm, I do want Deathspank+xpack, Super Meat Boy, Amnesia, Shank and uh.... god. plz give me the will to say no to great steam deals!

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I've logged into Steam at 12:01 and now have a mark next to the final box. I'm ready to start picking my 100 games anytime Steam dudes ;-)[/QUOTE]

I'll see you at the top!... Sad thing is with the Christmas sale here I would end up spending money even if I won, lol.

Managed to get enough of the objectives to qualify. I like the idea of the treasure hunt though. It got me to play some of the games I haven't played yet long enough to earn the achievement.

Ended up with 10. I just decided to try out PC gaming again since the original Counterstrike/Diablo 2 were released. So far, I'm not impressed by most of the games that I tried in demo for the one challenge. Though, I do enjoy Flight Control (the one game I did purchase).

[quote name='apbeatty']So how did everyone do in terms of number of objectives completed? I ended up with 19 of the 28 and I had a lot of fun doing it.[/QUOTE]

28. So know I can wear that octopus with pride (and more than a little CAG cognitive dissonance). Buying the Dlx editions of Civ V and Mafia 2, as well as Metro 2033 means the 2K and THQ packs are no longer the bargains they would be.

Here's hoping (in vain) that Steam will adopt the GOG approach to publisher bundles and not punish us for giving them more money sooner.

I'm stoked for the sale, however. Many publishers (Meridian4, Strat First, Southpeak ,Paradox, Kalypso) have had many of their games recently price-dropped. That will make a 50/75% discount even sweeter.
=========

Oh, and remember folks: If you see anything crazy like the 1C Pack for $20 (price mixup in an earlier sale), just CART IT & BUY IT. Don't waste time thinking about what else you'll buy. (Now i'll never have Full Pipe, *sniff*)

I wonder if you can gift any of the 100 games you win or not? I tell you what, if I win(HAHAH!)then I will gift a handful of games to people here. I have like 150 steam games as it is and a good 50-75 of them I have probably not played. Winning 100 free games means while all of a sudden I could snag a bunch of games I really want....it also means I would have a lot left over and all of it would go unplayed for a long long time.

Like I said, doubtful id win but if I do I will gift a few at least(if possible to gift!)!

[quote name='MSI Magus']I wonder if you can gift any of the 100 games you win or not? I tell you what, if I win(HAHAH!)then I will gift a handful of games to people here. I have like 150 steam games as it is and a good 50-75 of them I have probably not played. Winning 100 free games means while all of a sudden I could snag a bunch of games I really want....it also means I would have a lot left over and all of it would go unplayed for a long long time.

Like I said, doubtful id win but if I do I will gift a few at least(if possible to gift!)![/QUOTE]

I like the idea but I see that turning into people selling the games really fast. Think about the resale of selling 100 copies of COD BO.

I just hope you don't have to use them all right away. Also, I hope you can choose when to use a free game and when to pay cash.

[quote name='pROvIs']I like the idea but I see that turning into people selling the games really fast. Think about the resale of selling 100 copies of COD BO.

I just hope you don't have to use them all right away. Also, I hope you can choose when to use a free game and when to pay cash.[/QUOTE]
I seriously doubt they would let you choose when to get something free. 100 games is a TON of games.

Yeah, I went through and created a wishlist of 100 games. At least I attempted to. About 15 listings are DLC. I mean I have 187 games so another 100 I'll be set for a good while.

[quote name='Monroeski']I seriously doubt they would let you choose when to get something free. 100 games is a TON of games.[/QUOTE]

I agree it probably wont happen but my point was that 100 games all right away isn't nearly as good as spread over to use as you wish. I may only play 8-12 big games per year so 100 all at once is not much different than 10 to me.

[quote name='pROvIs']I agree it probably wont happen but my point was that 100 games all right away isn't nearly as good as spread over to use as you wish. I may only play 8-12 big games per year so 100 all at once is not much different than 10 to me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah if we could pick and choose what games we want then 100 games would last me years.....less Valve is willing to cough up for console games as well! Then I think I could burn through it in 2 or 3 years vs 10 ;)

Personally, all my attention is on the Holiday Sale, which will finally be starting in just a few hours.

Now that I mention it, is Steam's page down for anyone else right now?

EDIT: The page is now loading again. For a moment, I was hoping for another early start.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jaredhenry13']I hope the big deals this sale aren't the 4 packs like they were with the Thanksgiving sale. I like singles![/QUOTE]
As hassle-free as that is, I find that the extra effort of finding a group is worth the additional $1 or so off.

Surely, the simple act of buying and downloading is nice, but one cannot refute the idea of saving extra money through some additional communication.

There's a reason I frequent this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back