Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='frpilot']is this true? there is a chance that some of these $70-80 packs will be cheaper? glad i only bought the thq and valve one so far, but plan to get a few more.[/QUOTE]

Yes - I remember a few packs dropping by an additional 20-even 50%. So if you have an eye on a pack, I'd hold off and keep your fingers crossed. Worst case is you get it for what it's posted at now (unless you wanted the Valve pack which posted at $25 and changed to $50...I think $50 is too much for it with what the individual games have been on sale for separately).

Yes the packs have been daily deals before.

If something isn't a daily deal then it's usually best to wait. (risking it on a single game isn't so bad but I'd advise against purchasing the developer/publisher packs outside of a daily deal until the last day of the holiday sale)

The exception to this rule is when one of those packs is extremely cheap as those are usually mistakes which get quickly corrected. (and Valve tends to honor the purchase price even if it was a mistake)

Picked up PB Winterbottom, SMB, and Deus Ex GOTY for only 7.23 Good deal there, can't wait to see what else is there. Also, is Half Life 1 only $5 today, or for the whole deal?

thanks for the advice guys. i guess i will check every day until jan 2 to wait on the packs (not like i'm going to be able to play all these games anyways).

blitztwn36/fell open ian, both of you are right. worst case, i buy it on the last day for what it is priced at now... unless they raise the price like they did with the valve pack. then i would be pissed...

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Firvagor's right, folks: Titan Quest Gold is aces. The Immortal Throne expansion in Gold really rounds TQ out wonderfully. $4.95 is a steal for many, many, MANY hours of action RPG fun.

Oh, and speaking of Deals of the Day, is the LEGO Batman linkable to Live for achievements?[/QUOTE]

Titan Quest was really a great Diablo Clone. Beautiful game world, long game, large variety of loot and class mods, good story, lots of quests. Its a bargain for $5. Don't forget to download the unofficial patch which fixes a lot of issues.
I also recommend getting the 3rd party vault program, think its just called TQVault, which makes it a lot easier to bounce gear between different characters, as well as stockpile the pieces for all of the different sets. The built in bank fills far to quickly for the crazy amount of unique sets and weapons in the game.

[quote name='Phokis']Some of the best platformers of last generation. The time control allows the devs to make some very difficult jumps and traps without making them too frustrating.

Sands of Time is one of my favorite games of all time. WW is pretty decent (buggy). Two Thrones is also pretty great.

The reboot is "meh". A bit too easy, though going for achievements on the xbox made it very frustrating.

Haven't played the latest title yet.

I'd recommend a controller for them. Not sure how well it'd play with just a kb/m.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! If you only get one, get The Sands of Time. One of the best stories in video games, and is fun to boot. The others (Warrior Within, Two Thrones, Forgotten Sands) just flesh out the larger 'sands' story and the gameplay mechanics.

The $5 reboot is a colorful, cel-shaded re-imaging that's enjoyable and very easy.

All in all, the $17.50 you'll spend is totally justified. Buy Sands of Time first (don't even question it), play it, and if you enjoy it, get the others. Mechanically they're all the same.

[quote name='hellhunde']Titan Quest was really a great Diablo Clone. Beautiful game world, long game, large variety of loot and class mods, good story, lots of quests. Its a bargain for $5. Don't forget to download the unofficial patch which fixes a lot of issues.
I also recommend getting the 3rd party vault program, think its just called TQVault, which makes it a lot easier to bounce gear between different characters, as well as stockpile the pieces for all of the different sets. The built in bank fills far to quickly for the crazy amount of unique sets and weapons in the game.[/QUOTE]

Is TQVault compatible with Steam? I own the DVD copies and am seriously thinking of getting the Steam ones but that's the only thing holding me back.

So us Aussies get screwed again. Bad Company 2 is $13.59 from the Australian Steam store and $6.79 in the US store. Would some kind person with access to the cheaper prices mind gifting it to me and I'll transfer the money through PayPal? Please PM me if you're willing to help out because I'm at work so only casually monitoring this thread at the moment.

Similarly, FEAR 2 is $4.99 in the US and $11.24 here. How is it? Is the first worth $2.49?

Broke down a bought SMB and winterbottom.

Really hoping for a drop on COD:MW2 as I've been waiting over a year for this puppy to be reasonable on PC. I almost bit a few months back when it went for around $33.

its tough holding out.

[quote name='Blade'] And some guy bought my girlfriend the Left 4 Dead games in an attempt to get into her pants [/QUOTE]

My bad... meant to buy them for your girlfriends mom. She's fine...

i wonder if i should hold off on titan quest then. i already decided not to get torchlight (another diablo clone)... i figure, i don't want to get addicted to this type of game again (was hooked diablo 2) and why buy a diablo clone when i i will likely buy diablo 3 next year.

To everyone thinking about getting Deux Ex of any flavor: get the collection because you save more money than getting just one game!! ($3 vs $5)

For those wondering about DX: Invisible War, it's not that bad but I think most of the voice acting is terrible. Still a fun ~15-20 hours, anyway.

[quote name='macschwag14']Is TQVault compatible with Steam? I own the DVD copies and am seriously thinking of getting the Steam ones but that's the only thing holding me back.[/QUOTE]
TQVault, mods, and the fan patch will work with the Steam version.

[quote name='frpilot']i already decided not to get torchlight (another diablo clone)... i figure, i don't want to get addicted to this type of game again (was hooked diablo 2) and why buy a diablo clone when i i will likely buy diablo 3 next year.[/QUOTE]
I bought Torchlight last year and had a blast until I noticed that having a gazillion minions of the end boss on the screen slows down the game even at the lowest settings (well past requirements, mind you, and the rest of the game was perfectly smooth at highest settings). Incredibly frustrating. Plenty of great mods for it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='theGieche']So us Aussies get screwed again. Bad Company 2 is $13.59 from the Australian Steam store and $6.79 in the US store. [/QUOTE]

how does the steam system work in other countries. do they list games and sales at an equivalent US exchange rate so it comes out the same when paypal converts the currency?

Seeing how frustrating SMB is and how i have it for xbox... i'm debating on getting it for PC... Hmmm.... is there anything special that is included in the PC version?

[quote name='Nintendokid54']Seeing how frustrating SMB is and how i have it for xbox... i'm debating on getting it for PC... Hmmm.... is there anything special that is included in the PC version?[/QUOTE]

Steam has the head crab, plus user-made levels.

Can anyone recommend any of the indie game packs?

I'm not looking for anything in particular just something to kill small periods of time.

Grabbed Bad Company 2 (really want Vietnam, but gonna wait until I get used to PC controls and for a hopeful sale), Super Meat Boy (plus a copy for a friend!), and PoP: Two Thrones (only one I haven't played through).

Picked up the Fear collection (been wanting the first game but getting it the sequel and the expansion packs for $10 makes me feel like I'm stealing)
Also in for Super Meat Boy the trailer is hilarious XD

[quote name='AXV1']Can anyone recommend any of the indie game packs?

I'm not looking for anything in particular just something to kill small periods of time.[/QUOTE]

They're all pretty good, really. Just depends on if you're into that genre or not. The mix pack is a decent mix of genres. Defcon and Darwinia are pretty good. The 2D pack has Geometry Wars, VVVVVV, and Galcon Fusion, all good time-wasters (VVVVVV will likely make you angry, though...in a good way)

Argh, I've been reading about the port issues with the Munch and Stranger games in the Oddworld pack. Hopefully I don't run into those problems when I install the games later, but right now I wish I didn't jump on it even with today's daily deal. That coulda been Fallout 3 GOTY money instead :(

Leaning toward Super Meat Boy, PB Winterbottom, Titan's Quest Gold, and Deus Ex Complete.

Still trying to figure out if I should hold off on a couple of other games like Recettear, Amnesia, Swords and Soldiers, Grotesque Tactics, and Ion Assault.

Wow that is alot.

I couldn't avoid F.E.A.R. 1, $2.50 and includes both expansion packs? even at the $9.99 that it's been, that's a steal

Everything else? meh, not as interested/already own

For anyone who is on the fence I can say that F1 2010 is an awesome game, I have it on PS3 and love it. That is a really solid buy for $20.

[quote name='YoUnGKiLlAh']I just bought Black Ops a few days ago, but im still tempted to buy battlefield[/QUOTE]

its a lot of fun and a very different FPS compared to Black Ops because of the vehicles and larger maps. Definitely worth the $6.79

Color me disappointed that Resident Evil 5 didn't get more of a discount. Doesn't look like there's much on there I'm willing to buy. I mean BFBC2 for $6 is incredible but I already have the game. So it doesn't help me out a whole lot.

[quote name='machindo']FYI guys, when you buy something that's on sale you don't need, you're not saving money. On that note, I think I'll be buy OddBoxx, because I'm a hypocrite.[/QUOTE]

Seriously guys...

I'm gonna leave these links here for anyone that it may help:
http://lifehacker.com/5569035/practice-the-halt-method-to-curb-impulse-purchases
http://lifehacker.com/5331634/skip-impulse-buys-with-a-30+day-list

For example, I put PB Winterbottom in my shopping cart, but will wait until the last day to see if I really need to spend the 2 quarters.

[quote name='frpilot']i as well as this guy agrees with you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuY74rpL_hw[/QUOTE]

Bwahahaha! I remember feeling the same way last year. Not so much this year though... =/

[quote name='avwjase']Color me disappointed that Resident Evil 5 didn't get more of a discount. Doesn't look like there's much on there I'm willing to buy. I mean BFBC2 for $6 is incredible but I already have the game. So it doesn't help me out a whole lot.[/QUOTE]

Don't lose hope yet. There are 13 sets of daily deals left to go!

So are they not doing the "handful of daily deals" thing this time around? Just throwing everything all up at once? A lot of the sales are pretty disappointing.

edit: Ok, so they ARE doing daily deals... How do you tell what's the daily and what's not? This "book" format is confusing. I like the previous layouts. Are pages 1-13 the daily deals, and the rest are for the duration of the sale?

[quote name='frpilot']how does the steam system work in other countries. do they list games and sales at an equivalent US exchange rate so it comes out the same when paypal converts the currency?[/QUOTE]

The Australian Steam store uses prices in USD so the conversion rate depends on how you pay. Most games are priced identically to the US store but some items are priced differently. For example, Civ 5 is currently $79.99 here. Some publishers are worse than others. It is common for a game to get the US pricing when it was first released, then have the price bumped up to Australian retail levels fairly quickly.

I'm pretty sure the UK store uses UK pounds. Not sure about anywhere else.

[quote name='Vegan'] Are pages 1-13 the daily deals, and the rest are for the duration of the sale?[/QUOTE]
Yes, barring any mis-pricings or publisher intervention.

[quote name='hal']Yes, barring any mis-pricings or publisher intervention.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I had picked out Tomb Raider Anniversary, Serious Sam Double Pack, and the Indie 2D Pack, and now I know it's safe to wait on those in case they're in any daily deals.

[quote name='Warlock82']Is it wrong that I still don't really want Winterbottom at 50 cents? :p

Oh well, crossing my fingers for some good deals.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm not interested even at 50 cents but will probably buy it much like those GFWL dollar deals. It's just too low to pass up, heh. Low risk, high reward always wins out.

[quote name='Vegan']So are they not doing the "handful of daily deals" thing this time around? Just throwing everything all up at once? A lot of the sales are pretty disappointing.

edit: Ok, so they ARE doing daily deals... How do you tell what's the daily and what's not? This "book" format is confusing. I like the previous layouts. Are pages 1-13 the daily deals, and the rest are for the duration of the sale?[/QUOTE]

The first page is for daily deals

There is a countdown somewhere on it

I picked up The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom and both my bro and me got Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition to play against each other because I got him Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game for Xmas. I passed on SMB due to owning it on my 360 account.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Seriously guys...

I'm gonna leave these links here for anyone that it may help:
http://lifehacker.com/5569035/practice-the-halt-method-to-curb-impulse-purchases
http://lifehacker.com/5331634/skip-impulse-buys-with-a-30+day-list

For example, I put PB Winterbottom in my shopping cart, but will wait until the last day to see if I really need to spend the 2 quarters.

[/QUOTE]

This is so true. I'd wager a large sum of money that greater than 75% of the CAGs in this thread are snagging "deals" when the "deals" they got a few days ago or even last year remain unplayed.

From what I'm seeing in this thread I bet some people could play only the games they have, never purchase something new and still be able to play Steam games for a year or two.

Picked up the following for a total of 9.70-ish

PB Winterbottom
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Prince of Persia Warrior Within

I wanted the third installment of the PoP trilogy and scrolled down the list...WW was the last one so I got it assuming it was the third in the series... not reading descriptions until after check out = FAIL. >.<

Upon further research and looking at reviews and stuff it seems that WW is the gory-er and more combat heavy one, which isn't so bad as I like that type of game. Anyone who's played both WW and Two Thrones have any input on which they liked more and why?

[quote name='ZForce915']From what I'm seeing in this thread I bet some people could play only the games they have, never purchase something new and still be able to play Steam games for a year or two.[/QUOTE]
That would be me.

[quote name='macschwag14']Agreed! If you only get one, get The Sands of Time. One of the best stories in video games, and is fun to boot. The others (Warrior Within, Two Thrones, Forgotten Sands) just flesh out the larger 'sands' story and the gameplay mechanics.

The $5 reboot is a colorful, cel-shaded re-imaging that's enjoyable and very easy.

All in all, the $17.50 you'll spend is totally justified. Buy Sands of Time first (don't even question it), play it, and if you enjoy it, get the others. Mechanically they're all the same.[/QUOTE]
Looks like the deluxe version of Forgotten Sands includes Sands of Time. Keep that in mind if anyone's planning on getting the whole set.

I just spent way too long debating whether I should buy Bioshock and the FEAR collection. Nope, it would just be for collection purposes since I've played through them already elsewhere, but I added Winterbottom anyway.
Kinda the same deal for Oblivion and Fallout 3 GOTY, except I still see replay value in those. Still think I'll wait for lower prices.

[quote name='jedik']Upon further research and looking at reviews and stuff it seems that WW is the gory-er and more combat heavy one, which isn't so bad as I like that type of game. Anyone who's played both WW and Two Thrones have any input on which they liked more and why?[/QUOTE]
Warrior Within and Two Thrones are both gory and combat heavy.

Honestly? WW is a perfectly fine game and I think it's better than SoT. The problem is that SoT was charming, colorful, and pleasant. WW is grim, oppressive, and falls somewhere between B and C movie in plot theme, but tries to create the atmosphere of dread such B and C tripe can't manage.

Gameplay-wise, WW blows SoT completely out of the water, in my opinion. The only problem is that WW is kind of "nonlinear," the entire castle is open, but the entire game is pretty much a linear path with a couple of branches. But GOD HELP YOU if you explore too hard and find yourself going down a branch that leaves you confused and lost, or, hell, begin to doubt yourself in the game's somewhat silly last two acts where you basically go through every area in the game that branched out of the hub, constantly grazing against the hub, but never actually being allowed back into the hub until you have taken what has to be the most circuitous route in video gaming history just to get back for your final battle. If you stray from the path in those areas and can't right yourself that well, you're hosed.

That said, WW's combat and level design are great fun, apart from occasional pitfalls if you get confused.

Two Thrones is the third game and continues off the second game. It's JUST as gory and has just a bit less combat but is still pretty heavy on that. The story attempts to walk back the utterly ridiculous cheese from the second act and barely succeeds. It's linear, and similar in quality to WW, but doesn't add a lot. You could say it doesn't need to, but compared to WW it's almost unmemorable. Definitely worth playing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back