Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']I'm thinking about Puzzle Quest, but I'm not a big fan of either puzzle games or RPGs, what makes this game stand out?[/QUOTE]

It is a great puzzle/RPG fusion. If you don't like either of these genres at all though, then I don't know that you would like PQ. For $1.50 though, what do you really have to lose here?

Thanks for the replys guys. Given the mods and the graphics tech thing... and it is a gift, Im going to order the Gold Edition. Love this place!

[quote name='gamez79']whats with the gothic daily deal being 50% off arent all jowood games 50% off for the whole sale?[/QUOTE]

The picture of Gothic IV on the page may be somewhat confusing.

Besides Gothic IV being 50% off, today's deal is for the Gothic Pack (I-IV) being 50% off on top of the original bundle savings.

I thought I would mention Iron Grip: Warlords is on sale for $2.50 for the daily indie deal. Since it is probably only for one day I figured it should be posted in case people don't notice it on the indie packs page.

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']I thought I would mention Iron Grip: Warlords is on sale for $2.50 for the daily indie deal. Since it is probably only for one day I figured it should be posted in case people don't notice it on the indie packs page.[/QUOTE]

And in a 4-pack for $7.49.

Don't know anything about the game though, and the less I know, the less likely I am to buy it. Trying to keep it that way and save money for games I was thinking of getting.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']I'm thinking about Puzzle Quest, but I'm not a big fan of either puzzle games or RPGs, what makes this game stand out?[/QUOTE]

Nothing. It's a puzzle game, and not much of an RPG. It has a story, if you like those.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Anybody have a confirmation on the Bioshock 2 thing? If you get Bioshock 1 AND 2 I would be all over that $10 price.[/QUOTE]

im buying a pack right now, ill post an answer as soon as I find out.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Anybody have a confirmation on the Bioshock 2 thing? If you get Bioshock 1 AND 2 I would be all over that $10 price.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?

[quote name='redline']Nothing. It's a puzzle game, and not much of an RPG. It has a story, if you like those.[/QUOTE]

Ah, okay. I think I'll save myself the $1.50 and spend it on something else in the upcoming few days, thanks!

[quote name='paz9x']im buying a pack right now, ill post an answer as soon as I find out.[/QUOTE]

If it is, can you let me in on one of the copies? I should be getting some paypal money within an hour or so since my ebay auction is ending soon.

Witcher (finally), Puzzle Quest, and TR:Guardians of Light for me today. $10!

[quote name='hotwls13']
Those of you that have the DLC does it add a lot to the game?? I'm figuring worst case, I just get the Base game at the end of the sale cause after watching some gameplay I'm really wanting to play it.[/QUOTE]

In short, if you enjoy the base game then yes.

Knoxx = tons of content, respawning bosses, infinite high-level looting, new guns and vehicles. Despite what I read in a previous comment, I found it to be highly playable solo.
Zombie Island = a great storyline and atmosphere. A reasonable amount of content for the price.
Moxxi = it's an arena. If you like arenas.
Claptrap = the real ending to the main storyline, so it's hard to miss if you want completion. The content isn't too bad, but it's third behind Knoxx and Zombie.

[quote name='paz9x']im buying a pack right now, ill post an answer as soon as I find out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jaredhenry13']If it is, can you let me in on one of the copies? I should be getting some paypal money within an hour or so since my ebay auction is ending soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd be interested too if you get both for $10 (or less if you have an extra slot to sell).

If you only want to buy the base game and DLC separately (as opposed to GOTY), at least get Knoxx. It's incredibly fun.
Claptrap is kinda nice plot-wise, but I was a bit disappointed. Zombie Island is cool with some good content, and it's a decent length. I hated Moxxi, it's basically 12+ hours of arenas if you do them all.

On a random note, for those wanting to buy Metro 2033, it's been dropping down to at least $10 frequently so you'll want to wait.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']No new posts in 10 minutes? WTF?[/QUOTE]
Everyone's too busy buying.

I really really hope BloodBowl Legendary is a daily deal, I'm buying it regardless at the end of the sale though.

Picked up Disciples 3 so far for today. I really really wanted to like Polynomial but I just couldn't get into it at all.

I would pick up Puzzle Quest but it doesn't have the expansion and I've already bought and played it on the DS and my PS3 lol.

Alright guys, it certainly doesnt add a copy of bioshock 1 to my steam library. If there is some other way to redeem it I dont know.

The keys state they are preorder keys and preorders came with bioshock 1, I just dont think its happening (I hope Im wrong).

All copies in my pack have been claimed, sorry guys.

In for Guardian of Light. I own multiple Tomb Raider games, but all outside Steam unfortunately, so no discount.

And I'm a bit dissappointed. I was under the impression that if I bought myself GoL at $5.10, thus adding a TR title to my account, and then made a 2nd seperate purchase, I could gift it at $3.60. But it's still showing me $5.10 for a 2nd copy.

I'm not struck with as much temptation as I was yesterday. I'm kind of tempted to buy multiple copies of Puzzle Quest and gift them to my friends. I own it on the DS already, but I feel like this could be a good way to get my friends playing Puzzle Quest and using Steam. I'm not sure if that plan would actually work though (though consider I can get 6 copies for the same price I bought my DS version for, I feel like I might talk myself into doing it by the end of the night).

[quote name='Angel.9 Rakou Cobra']In for Guardian of Light. I own multiple Tomb Raider games, but all outside Steam unfortunately, so no discount.

And I'm a bit dissappointed. I was under the impression that if I bought myself GoL at $5.10, thus adding a TR title to my account, and then made a 2nd seperate purchase, I could gift it at $3.60. But it's still showing me $5.10 for a 2nd copy.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is why is has to be another TR. I heard some have problems. I actually bit the bullet in the group by thread and bought one and selling copies for 4.25 to offset the cost I incurred. The whole process is a big buggy on steams end.

[quote name='paz9x']Alright guys, it certainly doesnt add a copy of bioshock 1 to my steam library. If there is some other way to redeem it I dont know.

The keys state they are preorder keys and preorders came with bioshock 1, I just dont think its happening (I hope Im wrong).

All copies in my pack have been claimed, sorry guys.[/QUOTE]

that sucks about the bioshock 1 key but expected as much. $7.50 seems like a lot for that game. I feel like I've seen it cheap all over.

Interested in the Gothic games. But with 3&4 being negatively received(and 4 still being pricey), does anyone have any experience playing the first two games and feeling as if 3&4 are helped or more interesting playthroughs because of the universe and storylines that the first games lay out?

Will probably buy the Gothic Universe edition (1,2&3 for $11.49)
The Gothic bundle (1,2,3&4) is $34.99, effectively placing Gothic 4 at $23.50.

[quote name='pROvIs']that sucks about the bioshock 1 key but expected as much. $7.50 seems like a lot for that game. I feel like I've seen it cheap all over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah initially I was wanting to see it at $5. I know its been $10 in the past and I cant recall it ever being lower. Bioshock 1 was $2.50 on gfwl last month. While I was hoping for bioshock 1 & 2 for $10 the additional $2.50 is still a good deal IMO.

For those debating on Bioshock 2, it is a great game IMO. I pre-ordered it with a group of friends. While the game is certainly excellent it is also painfully short. I beat it in about 6 hours on my first playthrough. I wish I had waited to buy it, honestly. For $7.50 it is a steal but for the $32 I paid for it, it was a little overpriced. I mean, I only got about 13 hours of play out of it (2 playthroughs to see the different endings)

Bioshock 1 is currently $4.99 in this sale.
My prediction: It has a chance of becoming a daily deal near the very end and only for $3-ish, but that's it. Steam wouldn't make it $1, nor 2 probably. $5 doesn't leave much room for worry in my opinion :).

Still debating about the Witcher. TR:GoL reminds me of Diablo gameplay. Definately looking at TR:GoL, but wishing steam let us prove we own legit copies of Tomb Raider games from any platform...I got 4 for the Playstation, wtf lol.
PuzzleQuest is one of those games a ton of people will throw in their final check-out cause it's ridiculously cheap with a lot of good reviews and gameplay, but still not play it for atleast a year.

The Witcher questions.

1. What kind of machine does it take to run it? A review I just watched said it chugged their machine and that the load times were unberable. I bought my machine as a gaming machine but did so like 4 years ago. I put some RAM and a new graphics card a year or so ago, but its still an older machine.

2. Is the game exploration, story or combat heavy? I tend to get annoyed with a lot of Western RPGs because it feels like they are big empty worlds. Even the most popular ones like Oblivion tend to bore me to tears because I feel like it takes minutes of running through big empty fields or swamps with only an enemy or two in your way before you really find/do anything.

3. Whats the combat like. Again many Western RPGs fall to weak combat where you click and you lazily swing your sword. The combat just feels loose and dull.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The Witcher questions.

1. What kind of machine does it take to run it? A review I just watched said it chugged their machine and that the load times were unberable. I bought my machine as a gaming machine but did so like 4 years ago. I put some RAM and a new graphics card a year or so ago, but its still an older machine.

2. Is the game exploration, story or combat heavy? I tend to get annoyed with a lot of Western RPGs because it feels like they are big empty worlds. Even the most popular ones like Oblivion tend to bore me to tears because I feel like it takes minutes of running through big empty fields or swamps with only an enemy or two in your way before you really find/do anything.

3. Whats the combat like. Again many Western RPGs fall to weak combat where you click and you lazily swing your sword. The combat just feels loose and dull.[/QUOTE]

1. Definitely heard the load times are a problem on all machines because of the game's design. Patches have probably reduced them, but they only go so far when it comes to the foundational system of loading the game yeah.

2. I've read it's combat heavy from several in-depth reviews and descriptions. Possibly like Diablo 2 combat heavy I suppose? Maybe not that intense.

3. Hack and Slash.

• Visually stunning tactical action
    • Engage in complex yet intuitive real-time combat based on real medieval sword-fighting techniques.
    • Motion capture performed by medieval fighting experts at Frankfurt's renowned Metric.
    • Motion capture performed by medieval fighting experts at Frankfurt's renowned Metric Minds studio, resulting in 600 spectacular and authentic in-game combat animations.
    • Six combat styles, dozens of potions, complex alchemy system, modifiable weapons and powerful magic add tactical depth to the fluid real-time experience.

yesterday's daily deals were better. Can't wait to see what tomorrow offers.

* snip*[/QUOTE]

1. Ran relatively fine on my two+ year old machine that uses an Nvidia 9500 GT card with 512 video ram. The loading times were noticeable but not overly annoying -- maybe in the area of fifteen to twenty seconds.

2. The Witcher is actually somewhat linear in that while there is a world to explore you are limited to certain areas in the acts as you progress and within those areas there are fairly rigid paths of exploration you have to follow (blocked off by artificial walls of growth/wilderness). The game is mostly about combat. There are a few well done RPG vignettes (a murder investigation scene) but overall it is straight up killing and questing.

3. The combat is pretty awful. As mentioned it is hack and slash where you maintain combos by clicking when the appropriate icon pops up basically allowing you to combo-chain most enemies to death in short order. You have four different spells/signs but only one is significantly useful, the rest are borderline overkill/useless.

People rave about it being a great RPG but, in my opinion, it barely passes as an RPG and presents very little in the way of challenge or significant choices and consequences. It has arguably less character customization than Borderlands. Certainly less in the way of looting/gear customization as there are only about three or four different (types) of swords (and you can only really use swords) and three types of armor (the middle tier of which is optional and the latter you don't get until the last chapter). Still, treated as a hack and slash adventure, it's not bad for $5. Overall good story and atmosphere.

3. Whats the combat like. Again many Western RPGs fall to weak combat where you click and you lazily swing your sword. The combat just feels loose and dull.[/QUOTE]

1. I think it runs choppy no matter what machine you have. A friend of mine has a relatively new gaming computer he build about 6 months ago and i runs a bit choppy for him on all high settings. I can run it on medium-high on my laptop with a core i5 and a radeon 5650 and its still slightly choppy. I think that there is a bit of an issue with frame rates regardless of the machine you play it on.

2. There is a lot to do, very good pacing IMO. You have some combat thrown in at solid intervals even in the city settings where there isnt a whole lot to fight. Fetch quests arent too bad because it isnt as wide open as Oblivion.

3. Combat is hack and slash with timing and the ability to dodge.

[quote name='hbluft']1. I think it runs choppy no matter what machine you have. A friend of mine has a relatively new gaming computer he build about 6 months ago and i runs a bit choppy for him on all high settings. I can run it on medium-high on my laptop with a core i5 and a radeon 5650 and its still slightly choppy. I think that there is a bit of an issue with frame rates regardless of the machine you play it on. [/QUOTE]

Runs absolutely fine on mine on high settings. I'm using a Core 2 Duo, 4GB of DDR3 RAM and a Radeon 4870. Ran fine on my last video card too, but I forgot what that card was.

[quote name='hal']Witcher (finally), Puzzle Quest, and TR:Guardians of Light for me today. $10!

In short, if you enjoy the base game then yes.

Knoxx = tons of content, respawning bosses, infinite high-level looting, new guns and vehicles. Despite what I read in a previous comment, I found it to be highly playable solo.
Zombie Island = a great storyline and atmosphere. A reasonable amount of content for the price.
Moxxi = it's an arena. If you like arenas.
Claptrap = the real ending to the main storyline, so it's hard to miss if you want completion. The content isn't too bad, but it's third behind Knoxx and Zombie.[/QUOTE]

Moxxie is worth it if you're a gun collection whore because it has a storage locker system not avilable otherwise. I really hope Claptrap goes on sale, its the only one I'm missing.

I picked up the witcher, the indie fright, and adventure pack and Vegas make it big 16 bucks 11 games not bad. I didn't get gish as i already had it.

[quote name='lordopus99']If I remove a game I purchased from my harddrive, how would I redownload it? Just curious before I remove a game from my harddrive.[/QUOTE]

You go to your library within the client and do so. Just make sure that SHOW ALL GAMES is selected.

[quote name='lordopus99']If I remove a game I purchased from my harddrive, how would I redownload it? Just curious before I remove a game from my harddrive.[/QUOTE]
Assuming "show all games" is checked, when you delete a Steam game or install Steam elsewhere, uninstalled games will be grayed out in your library, so you don't need to hunt them down again.

[quote name='Firvagor']Assuming "show all games" is checked, when you delete a Steam game or install Steam elsewhere, uninstalled games will be grayed out in your library, so you don't need to hunt them down again.[/QUOTE]

The only exceptions to this would be games that were free like Alien Swarm, they will disapper from your library list and you will need to go to the product page to re-download.

I have spare keys for Serious Sam HD: First and Second Encounters. Just $2.50 USD each. (I wanted to get the original versions on Steam). PM me if you're interested.

Patches fixed most of the issues with the Witcher running like a dog.

I got Burnout Paradise as a gift! :D

I also bought GoL (had a TR game, $3.60) and The Polynomial. The latter has more depth than it leads on. Trust me!

I'm hoping for a Dead Rising 2 daily deal. 75% off (or more).

[quote name='TheKbob']Patches fixed most of the issues with the Witcher running like a dog.

I got Burnout Paradise as a gift! :D

I also bought GoL (had a TR game, $3.60) and The Polynomial. The latter has more depth than it leads on. Trust me!

I'm hoping for a Dead Rising 2 daily deal. 75% off (or more).[/QUOTE]

Any chances you would be willing to gift GoL -- I will paypal, of course!!!

Where is Dragon Age Ultimate for $20?! *fingers crossed*

Picked up The Witcher, Puzzle Quest, Indie Fright Pack, Polynomial (awesome!), Blueberry Garden, and Caster today. All for a little over $15. I love Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back