Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zipomatic2']Sold!

I will take the advice and give it a go, for $3.75, what can I lose? (well... $3.75 I guess)

Thanks for the opinions guys![/QUOTE]

You've made the right decision. Super Meat Boy is so great I've already bought it twice and I'll buy it a third time if someone ever invents a time machine so they can go back and prevent it from never being able to come to PS3!

- SMB $3.75
- Overlord + DLC for $2.25
- Flatout + Flatout 2 for $1.75
- Winterbottom for 49¢
- Deus Ex pack for $2.99

Total: $11.23

I have been buying quite a few games from this sale so far which I had never dreamed I would buy.

King Arthur: the Role Playing Game --- saw it once on a quick look video on Giantbomb.com. Never thought myself as a "Total War" kind of gamer.;)

Flatout: UC --- Never heard of this game before!

What are some of you guys' surprising bought so far?

[quote name='BoringPat']

What are some of you guys' surprising bought so far?[/QUOTE]

Overlord.

It's a Pikmin clone, which is awesome considering how much I love Pikmin.

[quote name='bobphone']Anyone else underwhelmed so far this year after the spectacular 2009 sale?[/QUOTE]

I'm not, picked up plenty of good games so far this sale.

I have been buying about 2-3 games or more a day since sale started.
Now if I have time to play them is another thing...

[quote name='bobphone']Anyone else underwhelmed so far this year after the spectacular 2008 sale?[/QUOTE]

I edited your post to make it sound exactly like what people said last year.

This sale has been spectacular. I've already bought Tropico 3, X Superbox, Burnout Paradise, The Witcher, King Arthur, Railworks 2, and FEAR Complete, and I've got a whole cartload of about a dozen sub-$5 games that I'm waiting until the last day to buy, and we're still only halfway through the daily deals. Not to mention the tons of gifts I've sent to friends. Please, god, don't let this sale get any more "spectacular," or I'll go broke.

[quote name='namster1337']Hmm, I was able to pass on Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher earlier in the sale. But now I kind of want to get them haha[/QUOTE]
Mass Effect 2 is hella better. Worth it! $10 damn good deal. Witcher is absolutely not as good. Mass Effect 2 is essentially one of the best games of 2010!

Might get Fear 2 or Battliefield: BC 2. Which is better? The Ladder? Fear 1 was cool, but short in replay value. Only played it once - DONE. Awesome rollercoaster ride, but no replay value for me.

These 2nd chance deals are great for everyone who missed out on the following fantastic value deals for the money:
"Mass Effect 2"
"Super Meat Boy"
"The Witcher"

many other awesome deals, but these 3 are definitely worth it for sure.

[quote name='jatan11t']Since FEAR is back again, might as well snag it this time.

Anyone have an opinion on Hinterland? Looks interesting[/QUOTE]

In a word: "Good". Not going to set your world on fire, but plenty of fun for $2.50. And picking it up with two of Tilted Mill's best for $8 is great for strategy fans.

Review

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I edited your post to make it sound exactly like what people said last year.

This sale has been spectacular. I've already bought Tropico 3, X Superbox, Burnout Paradise, The Witcher, King Arthur, Railworks 2, and FEAR Complete, and I've got a whole cartload of about a dozen sub-$5 games that I'm waiting until the last day to buy, and we're still only halfway through the daily deals. Not to mention the tons of gifts I've sent to friends. Please, god, don't let this sale get any more "spectacular," or I'll go broke.[/QUOTE]

Seconded, I'm tired of this bullshit "Today's deals are disappointing compared to _____" or "Last sale was better"

[quote name='bobphone']Anyone else underwhelmed so far this year after the spectacular 2009 sale?[/QUOTE]

Not all all. Many games are on sale for prices comparable or less than what I bought them for previously at prices I thought were great, and a few games I don't have were were on sale for great prices, so overall it is a big win for me and for people that are newer to Steam.

I just think some people have been spoiled by so many great deals and have so many games as a result that it seems to raise the bar higher for them because now they expect all the newest games (the ones they don't already have) to be discounted at 70+%. And while some are (SMB as one example) others are "only" discounted by 50%.

So really, it's a matter of perspective. If you have already been through a few cycles of deals with Steam, then it might be underwhelming compared to your earlier experiences, but I don't really think that's Steam's fault as much as a change in your perspective. The more you have and the better the deals you got in the past, the harder it is for Steam and other vendors to offer something that stands out as a "great" deal for you. But other may see the same deals some see as underwhelming as incredible deals because it is their first time seeing such huge discounts on good/classic games.

For myself, any day that goes by without "great" deals is a day I (and my wallet) am thankful for because I've already taken advantage of so many recent and previous great deals that any day to not spend money is a good day :lol:

Total Wallet Bleed thus far

Mass Effect 2 USD10.69 (got it via paypal gift + paypal charges)
Super Meat Boy USD3.75
Defense Grid USD2.00
Puzzle Quest USD1.50
Clones USD2.50
Lara Croft USD5.10
Burnout USD5
Winterbottom USD0.49

I should stop now...

[quote name='Wolfmight']Mass Effect 2 is hella better. Worth it! $10 damn good deal. Witcher is absolutely not as good. Mass Effect 2 is essentially one of the best games of 2010!

Might get Fear 2 or Battliefield: BC 2. Which is better? The Ladder? Fear 1 was cool, but short in replay value. Only played it once - DONE. Awesome rollercoaster ride, but no replay value for me.

These 2nd chance deals are great for everyone who missed out on the following fantastic value deals for the money:
"Mass Effect 2"
"Super Meat Boy"
"The Witcher"

many other awesome deals, but these 3 are definitely worth it for sure.[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 1 and 2 each cost twice as much as The Witcher does on sale. I don't know if I'd say either are twice the game that The Witcher is.

KaOTiK...thank you very much for helping me to appreciate having a non-fucked-up Internet connection. People (like myself) tend to take such things for granted until they don't have them, buy anyone that has to suffer through such extended delays waiting for their games to download has my most sincere sympathies.

If it wereme, it would be a good time to catch up on my console and/or PSP/NDS games. That's one of the great things about having huge backlogs on multiple platforms;)

[quote name='pROvIs']My guess is tomorrow = potato pack. I'm guessing they will swap out heavy hitters for a new week.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking the same thing a few minutes ago.

I think the sale has been great. I'm just upset that I bought BFBC2 six weeks ago for $15 and now it's selling for $7. :)

I'm still debating on Mass Effect 2.

[quote name='Wolfmight']
[/QUOTE]

I own both Fear 2 and Battlefield BC2. I would definitely, without question, say BFBC2 is the better game.

[quote name='TheKbob']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8YTPbwBYo

Inspiration for Super Meat Boy.

Note: SMB is not that hard...
in the beginning.
[/QUOTE]

Can you believe my friend beat the game!?
Yes, he has no life... :lol:

[quote name='KaOTiK']
[/QUOTE]

Epic, just epic! :applause:

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']how do you change the download region?[/QUOTE]
In Steam go to Steam>Settings>Download+Cloud>Download Region
Hope this helped!:bouncy:

Crossing fingers for Valve Pack - $25! :)

Yes. That sale was better by far. So many repeats this year. And less $1 games lol

Picked up Mass Effect 1 the second time around. Hoping this week will have more games under $5... I picked up PuzzleQuest for $1.50 and am having a blast with it! That's the type if investment I'm looking for.

Surprised that games like TF2 and Unreal Tournament haven't been deeply discounted yet. Could probably get quite a few people to bite on those for under $5.

[quote name='jazyje']Any opinions on Darksiders? I don't see any demo to try it out...[/QUOTE]

It's Zelda. Instead of a crossbow, it's a giant gun. Instead of a water temple, it's a flooded subway. Instead of Epona it's a fiery steed that runs on the sky.
But it's still just Zelda, and there's nothing wrong with more Zelda.

[quote name='jazyje']Any opinions on Darksiders? I don't see any demo to try it out...[/QUOTE]

Darksiders is well worth your money. Not sure how it plays on the PC (played it on the 360), but I loved the game. Great Zelda-esque game, I thought the atmosphere/levels/world was quite interesting and well done.

If you search around, you'll find a lot of love for the game, i think. I'd say it's well worth your $10, especially if you like Zelda type games.

If you like Zelda-style dungeons and a wide array of skills and attacks in a hack-n-slasher with a half-decent story that's somewhat short (but you can still screw around after), I'd highly suggest it. I played it on 360 and had a blast, but that also means I don't know how the PC version compares (ie if it's a good/bad port, or considered a port at all).

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']
Surprised that games like TF2 and Unreal Tournament haven't been deeply discounted yet. Could probably get quite a few people to bite on those for under $5.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty confident at least TF2 will be under $5 at some point. There's always a crazy sale for it.

I guess the only reason I feel "underwhelmed" is that most of the things on sale are games I dont want and the games that I do want that are on sale, I already own. I will, however, be picking up that P.B. Winterbottom for 50 cents. I'm just waiting to see if I can pair it with someing as a 50 cent charge to the CC just seems wrong to me.

[quote name='hostyl1']I guess the only reason I feel "underwhelmed" is that most of the things on sale are games I dont want and the games that I do want that are on sale, I already own. I will, however, be picking up that P.B. Winterbottom for 50 cents. I'm just waiting to see if I can pair it with someing as a 50 cent charge to the CC just seems wrong to me.[/QUOTE]
Oh, didn't know that was on sale. 50 cents, yes please!

So far all I've gotten is Meat Boy (totally completely worth it), and that's okay by me. I have (way more than) enough stuff to play as it is!

I was about to get Bad Company 2 for 360 for cheap.. maybe I should get PC instead?

I'm not a graphics snob.. I wonder which will die off online sooner?

[quote name='hostyl1']I guess the only reason I feel "underwhelmed" is that most of the things on sale are games I dont want and the games that I do want that are on sale, I already own. I will, however, be picking up that P.B. Winterbottom for 50 cents. I'm just waiting to see if I can pair it with someing as a 50 cent charge to the CC just seems wrong to me.[/QUOTE]

Shattered Union is 49 cents... I picked it up along with Winterbottom. Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet but it looks like a pretty neat turn based strategy game. Looks a lot like Steel Panthers, just in a different time setting.

For .49, I was willing to take a chance on it.

[quote name='tranceFusion']I was about to get Bad Company 2 for 360 for cheap.. maybe I should get PC instead?

I'm not a graphics snob.. I wonder which will die off online sooner?[/QUOTE]

Can't speak for the Xbox community, but the pc servers seem to be very active. I Love the Battlefield series! Much more depth than COD, I think. Mouse/Keyboard combo is much better to play with as well. For $7 you can't go wrong! :bouncy:

PC also gets map packs........FOR FREE!

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']Picked up Mass Effect 1 the second time around. Hoping this week will have more games under $5....[/QUOTE]

Mass Effect 1 was $5 last year...

this year Steam seems to not be the place to go. The pricing is not as good as last year. Before "pulling the trigger" on a Steam purchase, this year, do the homework first, search for lower pricing around the internets.

Damn second chance sales! Just picked up SMB, Witcher, and Wings of Prey. Also threw in Winterbottom and Shattered Union for $1 and some Borderlands DLC.

[quote name='wilflare']i'm really tempted to get ME1 but sighh...
ME2 is now collecting dust... waiting for me to play ME1 first[/QUOTE]

ME1 at $10 really isn't bad. The only reason people are saying it is, is because its the same price as 2 and because it was $5 last year. Both are well worth $60 each. Probably my favorite franchise this generation.

[quote name='pROvIs']ME1 at $10 really isn't bad. The only reason people are saying it is, is because its the same price as 2 and because it was $5 last year. Both are well worth $60 each. Probably my favorite franchise this generation.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I was convinced of this, bought it a couple days ago for $10. Have already played 10+ hours and love it. I would definitely pick it up for $10 if it is holding you back from playing ME2.

[quote name='iso135']Agreed, I was convinced of this, bought it a couple days ago for $10. Have already played 10+ hours and love it. I would definitely pick it up for $10 if it is holding you back from playing ME2.[/QUOTE]

I've played through ME1 3x already and plan to do it again after ME3 comes out for a ME1-3 run using a female Shepard. I agree with everything people said in this thread. Each game is worth $50+ and my favorite game series this generation

I've been playing it on the PC after getting it on this sale. The main differences that I've read about is that you can't input a code in order to get a reskin of the scythe on the PC. The other difference is that you can actually play this easily on a keyboard which helps in getting one of the achievements, Aerial Predator. There's a flying portion to this game where it's like starfox supposedly, the aiming with a stick on this section is slow and cumbersome, but with a mouse it's a breeze and makes this segment much easier. One other issue with the PC version is that some of the achievements didn't unlock the first time they were accomplished on the PC. I'm not sure of the reason, but generally it would be good to utilize the multiple save slots.

In terms of general gameplay, like most people mentioned it's very much like a zelda type game where you explore, go through dungeons with puzzles and collect power ups (gear,life,"magic"). But also the combat is very similar to god of war where you have multiple enemies coming at you and it employs a fluid combo system that lets you utilize 3 weapons with distinct play styles and also supplemental weaponry like a gun, boomerang, etc.

On the normal setting, the game is pretty easy. The enemies don't do much damage you can mindlessly have fun mashing buttons and get through the stages w/o dying. On the apocalyptic setting, the enemies do more damage, the health gained from drops tends to be less. What this means is that it's a good challenge because you really have to watch what the enemies are doing so that you can avoid/defend against their attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back