Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm stockpiling for the apocalypse.
gamesmf.png

I prefer to ask here because I don't feel that I could determine the reliability of answers on the Steam forum. So if I have AudioSurf already and buy today's Indie Pulse Pack, would I end up with an extra copy to gift?

[quote name='Torakusu']I prefer to ask here because I don't feel that I could determine the reliability of answers on the Steam forum. So if I have AudioSurf already and buy today's Indie Pulse Pack, would I end up with an extra copy to gift?[/QUOTE]
No, it'll just tell you that you already have a copy of the game, and not give it to you.

Aw yea, nice deals! Been wanting to get Lara Croft before it was released, 50% off is great! In for Lara Croft and a King's Bounty Crossworld expansion. Already have the other 2.

Going to skip on the Pulse pack. Already have Audiosurf and Beat Hazard and I barely play them. I remember looking into the other 2 music games in there besides Bit Trip Beat and they don't catch my interest.

[quote name='wafflepacman']No, it'll just tell you that you already have a copy of the game, and not give it to you.[/QUOTE]
Was afraid you were gonna say that. That means I'm probably not getting today's and tomorrow's indie packs.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Anyone expecting Lara Croft to be any cheaper during the Christmas sale?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. I say this because before it was on Steam, I saw yesterday this price and this game (it's built around steamworks, so it would have worked with steam regardless of where you bought it) on Gamestop's digital store for PC games. Same price, same game.

Usually, what happens I think is the studio makes an internal decision what the "low price" of the game is going to be regardless of distribution means. That probably happens because Steam alerts all its publishers that a sale is upcoming and they need games and prices to include. So the publisher is forced to decide what the "lowball" cost is going to be for Steam. Once that's done, they start telling other distribution means what they're offering Steam and those distribution means start getting the same deal, some of them ahead of the weeks (or months) in advance Steam sets theirs up.

That's why it always seems like the same game comes out with the same price right before or right after Steam and usually with the same exact price. I think Steam gets the ball rolling and the other players get the same deal, probably with better royalties going to the publisher than what Steam is offering. Steam offers more volume and more press in exchange for a higher cut of the sale, I imagine.

Anyways, I suspect $7.50 is the price point selected for "now" as the current lowball figure. There have been exceptions to this, but they are rare imo. But you have to ask yourself. If it came out for $5 in two weeks, would you be angrier than if you let it go and it never went on sale again for another year?

How much is the game worth to you? Worth $2.50 to guarantee you have it and sooner rather than later?

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']Anyone expecting Lara Croft to be any cheaper during the Christmas sale?[/QUOTE]

Agree mainly with the post above mine. My guess is we see $5 during the x-mas sale. $2.50 isn't a lot of money usually, but on Steam that might be two games:lol:

[quote name='MSI Magus']Isn't part of the point of Recateer to fail and start over? Like I thought it was like Dead Rising where it lets you carry stuff over to make it easier and easier on each play through?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Fearbeard']Yeah, you keep your Merchant level and item stock when you fail and go back to day 2. I can't imagine loading up my save and trying to reach 30,000 the first time through.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for both of your comments. I was confused by the way things looked when I failed to repay the second loan, what with me still having all the items I just had. Glad to know you're supposed to fail. That'll make things easier.

Also, I can't beat the boss in the Jade Way. That Blue Slime kills me every time so easy.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Thanks for both of your comments. I was confused by the way things looked when I failed to repay the second loan, what with me still having all the items I just had. Glad to know you're supposed to fail. That'll make things easier.

Also, I can't beat the boss in the Jade Way. That Blue Slime kills me every time so easy.[/QUOTE]

make sure you don't let him absorb the little slimes. He eventually decreases in size if he can't take in the little slimes.

On a side not I hate the girl customer. So damn cheap. Everyone else has no problem w/ a 25% mark up but that little girl is so cheap always asking for more discounts.

How much was a buy in of Left 4 Dead 2 the other day?

Also does anyone have any inpressions on Galcon Fusion? I'm at work can can't really check into it now.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Dang it why is audio surf in this pack........I just bout it two days ago...lol[/QUOTE]

Should have read this thread, you would have known it was coming. ;)

[quote name='Ragnorok64']How much was a buy in of Left 4 Dead 2 the other day?

Also does anyone have any inpressions on Galcon Fusion? I'm at work can can't really check into it now.[/QUOTE]

It was like $4.60. And yeah I picked up Audiosurf yesterday for $1.60, it was just to good a deal to pass up; Im waiting for the Air Pack that looks quite interesting.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']How much was a buy in of Left 4 Dead 2 the other day?

Also does anyone have any inpressions on Galcon Fusion? I'm at work can can't really check into it now.[/QUOTE]
I think galcon is worth the money. I really enjoy these simple strategy games. You can play a game in a minute. Nice diversion. I play it at work when I need a quick break. Also, phil the dev is a nice guy and responds to emails etc.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Thanks for both of your comments. I was confused by the way things looked when I failed to repay the second loan, what with me still having all the items I just had. Glad to know you're supposed to fail. That'll make things easier.

Also, I can't beat the boss in the Jade Way. That Blue Slime kills me every time so easy.[/QUOTE]

Kill the smaller blue slimes as they spawn and keep swiping at the King till he's dead. Dodge the big stomp he does, it's easy to predict when he will do it.

[quote name='Meatyflakes']Kings Bounty platinum is up for download @ Amazon for $7.00 if anyone wants to save another $1.75. Don't know if you can use the key is Steam, but hey, it's almost two bucks...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1282259522&pf_rd_i=979455011[/QUOTE]

Can anyone confirm/deny that buying on Amazon would allow Steam activation? I'm interested in saving the extra $2, but if it doesn't activate on Steam, I'll just suck it up and buy it there.

Ugh. I wish I hadn't preordered Lara Croft. I've been holding off for the online patch to beat it, anyways, and I don't feel like TR Legend was worth $7.50. Ugh. Dammit.

[quote name='blitztwn36']Can anyone confirm/deny that buying on Amazon would allow Steam activation? I'm interested in saving the extra $2, but if it doesn't activate on Steam, I'll just suck it up and buy it there.[/QUOTE]

No. Only games on this list allow Steam activation of copies bought elsewhere.

I love Galcon. I had a slow day on Wednesday and I ended up playing it for 4 hours at the office, didn't even realize it.

How do some of the people here know what indie packs will be on sale each day? Did someone post it earlier? I looked through a few pages on this thread but didn't see it.

Nevermind, I just found it. It's on page 13, in case anyone else was wondering the same thing.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']What're the thoughts on Galcon Fusion? Looks interesting, but perhaps too simple for my ultra intellectual tastes.[/QUOTE]

I like it a lot, but it is very simple. It's like a fast paced version of Risk (actually, the iPhone game Strategery is a better example), and while there is some strategy, it's not terribly complex or difficult. I play it 3-5 times a week, but only in 15-30 min. bursts.

[quote name='homeland']On a side not I hate the girl customer. So damn cheap. Everyone else has no problem w/ a 25% mark up but that little girl is so cheap always asking for more discounts.[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine having to deal with a CAG customer in the game? That would be funny

I'm probably going to get all the indie packs except for the puzzle one. Only game in that I know of is shatter and I already have it. If you don't have shatter, that is going to be another pack to pick up. I HIGHLY recommend the game, boss battles in a brick breaker are fun, and it has an amazing soundtrack.

Only getting King's Bounty Crosswinds today. King's Bounty series always seems to be one that gets cheaper and cheaper every sale x.x

Went from $12.50, then to $7.50 for TL and AP. Now another expansion added on for $1.75 extra (or even less on Amazon)

sweet playing through the 1st right now. Was considering getting the expansion, FA, but for $3.75, I'll pick this one up first despite the hardcore RTS gamers' negative reviews.

[quote name='superDESTROYMAN']So I can assume the price for MW is not worth buying?

But hypothetically, if my friend bought the game, is there still lots of people online playing?[/QUOTE]

Yes, MW1 is still one of the most popular and most played shooters for the PC.

Is Episodes from Liberty City games for windows live enabled? Will I be able to get XBL achievements on my PC? I might pick it up then, otherwise wait until the christmas sale.

[quote name='sokmaster']Is Episodes from Liberty City games for windows live enabled? Will I be able to get XBL achievements on my PC? I might pick it up then, otherwise wait until the christmas sale.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is

Has anyone had trouble launching NyxQUest on Win7? Or knows where the cfg file may be? I started it up, my screen went black and nothing would get it back out to the desktop.

Surprised there isn't more comments about Kings Princess. If you have any interest at all in this type of game the purchase is a no brainer. Tons of content in the games and extremely fun. It is certainly the highlight of todays sale

Most people have already picked up the legend and armored princess in other steam sales but I highly suggest Crossworlds. It's the definitive version of Armored Princess (its basically a DLC pack) and adds some interesting content.

So do yourself a favor and dump the $5.00 (sale price) on Crossworlds or if new to the game pick up the whole pack for $8.75. You won't regret it :bouncy:

[quote name='RollingSkull']Nyxquest and Lara Croft are both fantastic games.[/QUOTE]

Lara Croft is indeed terrific. I don't know why many people (which I really think are in the minority -- the vocal kind) whined about it not being "true" to the TR series. If anything, it's just as fun, with clever puzzles, fun action, entertaining (but not constant) battles and lots and lots of stuff to accomplish and discover. If that's not true to the original spirit of the TR games then I don't know what is. I loved it.

Bottom line is just to buy it and enjoy it. I personally think it was one of the most refreshing new takes on a game series I've played in a long time. Hell, buy it and play it even if you didn't like the original TR games or the more modern ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back