Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='radioactivez0r']Has anyone had trouble launching NyxQUest on Win7? Or knows where the cfg file may be? I started it up, my screen went black and nothing would get it back out to the desktop.[/QUOTE]

The demo wouldn't work for me either, using Windows 7. I passed on the game. My interest wasn't that high, and my computer really can't handle much.

Recettear might not be getting an 8 pack after all and the leak may have been wrong.

Taken from Rock Paper Shotgun -

The Recettear guys say that they’ve heard nothing about an 8-pack, and that the next planned discount they have on the game (other than this one happening now) is going to happen in December.” so perhaps Recettear appears on the leak erroneously.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/27/the-rps-bargain-bucket-overflowing/#comment-567716

By "next planned discount in December" it's safe to say they probably mean the Holiday Sale.

[quote name='kilm']I think quite a few people were banking on that pack for just Recettear and not buying that bundle earlier[/QUOTE]

Yep, I've seen people all over the net holding out for the Recettear bundle.

Here is the exact post from a few days ago from Andrew Dice's twitter:

"For what it's worth I know absolutely nothing about plans for a "big gift pack" option for Recettear on Steam."

"We might be doing a little something a bit later next month, but for the pre-holiday sale today's all we've discussed with Steam."

http://twitter.com/spacedrakecf

So it looks like a Recettear 8 pack isn't happening.

Ugh, can we get the damn OP updated? I can't see the U.S. prices here in Italy and I basically rely on CAG so I can know what to ask my wife to buy.

[quote name='superDESTROYMAN']So I can assume the price for MW is not worth buying?

But hypothetically, if my friend bought the game, is there still lots of people online playing?[/QUOTE]

It's so good I bought it again!

Not intentionally however. I saw the cover and price, thought it was MW2 and just clicked buy. Idiot impulses. :roll:

Steam Thanksgiving sale not that great this year. The sale earlier in the year was far better.

[quote name='animalspinners']Recettear might not be getting an 8 pack after all and the leak may have been wrong.

Taken from Rock Paper Shotgun -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/27/the-rps-bargain-bucket-overflowing/#comment-567716

By "next planned discount in December" it's safe to say they probably mean the Holiday Sale.[/QUOTE]

Ah well, at least it's good to know it will show up again in another month. I slacked on getting the Indie pack but now I'm kind of interested :p I can wait though ;)

I really hope they are holding out for Christmas. At this point being apart of STEAM for 2 years I feel like I see the same games on sale.

Seriously though...does anyone that wants Arkham Asylum on PC/STEAM not have it yet? I feel like it's on sale once a month.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Ugh, can we get the damn OP updated? I can't see the U.S. prices here in Italy and I basically rely on CAG so I can know what to ask my wife to buy.[/QUOTE]
Prices for the next ~17 hours:

Left 4 Dead 2 - $5.00
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - $14.99
Wings of Prey - $14.99
Supreme Commander 2 - $3.75
Galcon Fusion - $2.50
King's Bounty Platinum Edition - $8.75
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - $7.49
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City - $10.20
Indie Pulse Pack - $4.99

Packs
Counter-Strike: Source - $24.99 for 6 copies
NyxQuest - $14.99 for 10 copies
Red Faction Guerrilla - $39.99 for 8 copies
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City - $44.99 for 6 copies

Just as a note for those who don't know video game history, the original "King's Bounty" was the predecessor to the "Heroes Of Might & Magic" series. Course, some probably don't know that "Might & Magic" originally was an RPG...

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']

Seriously though...does anyone that wants Arkham Asylum on PC/STEAM not have it yet? I feel like it's on sale once a month.[/QUOTE]

Raises Hand

[quote name='dudejeff22']Ugh, can we get the damn OP updated? I can't see the U.S. prices here in Italy and I basically rely on CAG so I can know what to ask my wife to buy.[/QUOTE]

The OP, eastx if I remember right, had mentioned earlier today he might not be able to update the original post as soon as he normally would.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Seriously though...does anyone that wants Arkham Asylum on PC/STEAM not have it yet? I feel like it's on sale once a month.[/QUOTE]

It's been on sale three times this year. You're exaggerating.

Better late than never! OP updated.

[youtube]q-I2wyNNTPA[/youtube][youtube]_jHscKWWM9M[/youtube]
[youtube]ynejlse2MVo[/youtube][youtube]Vl6jO2-00GE[/youtube]
[youtube]oLFddxK4AbE[/youtube][youtube]XZ5rOykyveo[/youtube]

As usual, the new Indie Pack is absolutely awesome. Beat Hazard and Bit.Trip beat are not to be missed.

OP should also note that the King's Bounty games are available separate as well - Crossworlds is only $5, for instance, and a great deal for those who already own KB and AP through Steam.

Great price considering how recent it is.

Here's a fast question

When Crossworlds was being launched Steam had a deal where you bought Crossworlds and you got a copy of King Bounty that you could use or you could gift.

My question is that with this Platinum pack you cannot gift games in the set if you already own them, correct?

[quote name='eastx']Better late than never! OP updated..[/QUOTE]
Hey, thanks for starting and maintaining the thread! Hope you're enjoying the Thanksgiving weekend (assuming you're also in the US, heh)!

steamgamesales.com shows the sales items and prices in each region. It doesn't seem to handle group buy prices but it does have price history for each game.

There is another site that shows price comparisions across regions but I forget what it's called at the moment.

I just finished playing a bit of BIT.TRIP BEAT from the indie pack! IMO that game ALONE makes it worth the $5 such an awesome game. That an AudioSurf for $5 + 3 other games? HOW CAN YOU SAY NO?!

Thanks to everyone who was patient with my slow updating today. I work graveyards on weekends and it's hard to get up at noon for an update. Thus Sunday's update may be late as well.

Thanks also to Shrike for keeping the thread lean and clean. :)

NeoGutsman, it was a smaller Thanksgiving this year, but I'm always happy to spend time with the family. We played Kinect after eating, then some Boggle, and at night I was off to Old Navy to for a free copy of Dance Central. Busy busy! Hope yours was good too.

[quote name='Nova_01']I passed on Machinarium. It looks like a well done game, but it looks almost too melancholy. One of those things thats fascinating and intriguing, but unsettling all at the same time.

I dont know much about it, so my instincts could be wrong. But it did peak my interest anyway.[/QUOTE]

Machinarium's backgrounds are sort of melancholy, but the story and gameplay really aren't. The animations that play when you solve puzzles are usually amusing and cute, and the story segments are pretty funny too.

Also, here's a Bit.Trip Beat trailer. Today's Indie Pack is pretty great (except maybe for AudioSurf and Rythym Zone, depending on who you ask), people!

[youtube]JPF_f0vOixs[/youtube]

I grabbed Supreme Commander 2 and the indie pack today, from what I am reading, Kings Bounty is also a legit buy, anyone have any games to compare it to other than might and magic(never played it)

It was a good Thanksgiving for me, too, eastx! Glad you had a good one!

I second the recommendation of Machinarium (sadly no longer on sale). Screenshots make the game look dreary and cold, but once you play you'll start to discover just how charming, funny and clever the whole game is. I generally shy away from things that are dark, gritty or "cold," but that's ultimately not what Machinarium is like once you play it. Definitely snag this next time, folks :)

I posted in another thread about Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, but here's the skinny: Buy It! I found the game to be lots of fun and was impressed by just how refreshing it was to play a puzzle platformer of this type. Even if you were put off by any of the original or even modern TR games, at least give the demo to this a try. I say it's still true to the series' roots given the clever puzzles and action variety. Plus, the game looks terrific and controls really well with a good gamepad. Hope that helps some of you make a decision on it! :)

Another Steam sale, another chance to add to my Steam back catalogue of 100+ games I'll never get time to play.

Thankfully I've been able to save money this time around because the deals haven't been as crazy as some of the past ones.

I was pretty restrained up until today. I'd only bought the Indie Clever Pack and Machinarium. Today I picked up the Indie Pulse Pack then caved and went in group buys for all four multi-packs. That that sort of thing can be organised on here with complete strangers with zero hassles shows how good a community CAG is so thanks to everyone involved.

I'm tempted by that Lara Croft game and Armoured Princess but with the Christmas sale just around the corner I'm going to show some restraint for once.

Wasn't planning on getting anything but tried out the Guardian of Light demo and really liked it. Heard the game lasts about 6 hours solo plus a lot of replayability with co-op and finding all the collectibles, so seems like a solid purchase at this price.

[quote name='TheKbob']Sale has been a letdown. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. Good because I only spent $5 on it so far![/QUOTE]

Does not seem most people here agree with you. The indy packs alone seem to please everyone here.

[quote name='PenguinJim']I think TheKbob is confusing this sale with the crazy Christmas sale. This is just the hors d'oeuvres![/QUOTE]

Even if this was the Christmas sale it would not be a bad sale, at least not for anyone not obsessed with only buying the newest most expensive games.

Yeah, anyone who passes on all of these Indie packs is only doing himself a disservice. Each one has been an amazing value.

Compared to the summer sale? Yah, this is pretty tepid. The only thing I purchased was Recettear for $5 w/ 4 free games I may or may not play.

I owned most of what I wanted from the indie packs and none of the prices on things I have wanted have been "what the crap?!" crazy range, again, like the previous summer sale.

Can't decide if I should get the Pulse Indie Pack or not... It looks like an amazing value but I don't know if I would ever get around to playing them...

[quote name='akmgmer']Can't decide if I should get the Pulse Indie Pack or not... It looks like an amazing value but I don't know if I would ever get around to playing them...[/QUOTE]

I just have a hard time getting into these. I've tried two of them because of the rave reviews and just couldn't get into them. Looks like I am finally taking a day off from the indie packs.

[quote name='akmgmer']Can't decide if I should get the Pulse Indie Pack or not... It looks like an amazing value but I don't know if I would ever get around to playing them...[/QUOTE]

Ask yourself, sometimes do you find yourself without anything to do but really wanting to hear some music and relax? If you do, and you can relax by gaming, these games provide a very good experience. If you never listen to music it's not worth it as these games (most) shine the most (or shine at all) when you use your own favorite music with them.

At this point the only game I can think of that I'd love to have is Amnesia at 50% off. Civ 5 would be nice too, but I know they aren't going to want to put that at anything bigger than 33% probably.

i have tried to only buy one game a day and its working, i have not seen any games im interested in other than lfd2 but im not going to buy that one either. cmon steam, make the last day an epic one!

The update is going to be late again today... Somebody please type out the daily deals and post them here (for people who can't visit Steam's website for whatever reason). Thanks!

I wish they'd bring the Deus Ex pack back. I missed it the day it was available. I do have both on PC but I want both on Steam.

[quote name='sotc1988']At this point the only game I can think of that I'd love to have is Amnesia at 50% off. Civ 5 would be nice too, but I know they aren't going to want to put that at anything bigger than 33% probably.[/QUOTE]
amnesia would be great at that price, Ive been waiting for a sale on that.

I wish I had known about the previous indie packs (I really am not a PC gamer). This one isn't calling me but I'm thinking about it anyway for AudioSurf. Anyone want to gift me this in exchange for a gifted Wii game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back