Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Oside_hunter']Did the Orange Box go back to full price for anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I am seeing it for $29.99. Am I too late on the deal?

World of Goo is also back up to $9.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='momouchi']Any thoughts on whether KOTOR will be lower? I know it is only 2.50, but has anyone seen it lower during the Holiday sales?[/QUOTE]

It's $2.50 dude. Even if it's $1.50 during the holiday sale, are you really going to stress over that dollar?

[quote name='momouchi']Any thoughts on whether KOTOR will be lower? I know it is only 2.50, but has anyone seen it lower during the Holiday sales?[/QUOTE]

Nope. 2.5 as low as it's gone and no bundles have included it.

Metro 2033 is a fun game, not really any incentive to replay the campaign after you beat it but it's good experience with some memorable moments.

Make sure you have a pretty good computer though, to run the game at the highest settings, you need one beast of a computer.

@momouchi : $2.50 is the lowest I've seen it on sale on Steam since the LucasArts catalog was introduced. It's a fairly meaty RPG, and unless it ends up in some kind of bundle I don't see how the price could get very much lower on it.

[quote name='Khamous']Need an opinion on Dirt 2, anyone?[/QUOTE]

if you have a controller it is the best 5 dollars youll ever spend. I had it on the 360 it was awesome

Hmm nothing for me today, first day I didn't buy anything from the sale.

Might get Peggle Extreme or Monkey Island.

Was really really hoping for Braid though :(

[quote name='Khamous']Need an opinion on Dirt 2, anyone?[/QUOTE]

It's awesome. And for that price you'd have to be nuts to let it pass (Unless you have absolutely no interest in racing games at all).

So far I've got:

Patrician IV
King's Bounty
Borderlands
Story pack
Puzzle pack
Pulse pack
Trine
Dirt 2
M&B Warband
Puzzle Quest 2

Overall, even though it wasnt mind blowing, I'm pretty happy with this Black Friday.

(Thanks everyone for the DiRT 2 feedback :D)

Yeah, this sale wasnt bad at all. I grabbed Alpha Protocol, Kane & Lynch 2, Metro 2033, Puzzle Quest 2, Kings Bounty, and the Story, Puzzle, and Energy Indie packs all for under $50.

Here's the final tally for my Steam sale purchases this past weekend
ClarkeFinalTotal.png

Didn't grab anything from steam this year.. some good deals but the stuff I don't already have isn't really for me. Metro 2033 has me on the fence but I'd rather play it on 360.

I was really hoping for a cheap id super pack or cheap classic Dooms.

[quote name='Blackshear'] Metro 2033 has me on the fence but I'd rather play it on 360. [/QUOTE]

Doing it wrong, games looks kinda crappy on console, while the PC version if one of the best-looking titles on the platform. If you've got the juice to max it, that is.

I picked up Trine when it last went on sale (when it was released for Mac, I think). Only just started playing it, but so far really enjoying it. Definitely worth picking up if you can get in on a multipack.

No. Last Christmas, it was $5. This is the cheapest I've seen it.

Didn't get too much, but I'm still trying to figure out how I've lived this long without Defense Grid. Holy crap best $1.50 ever spent.

looks like i can't play osmosis =[

i can't see text/definition when blue is layered on a black background, not only are the menus blue on black but the tutorial relies on a blue/black setup

game looked promising from screen shots, but this cripples the game for me =/

[quote name='dudejeff22']Doing it wrong, games looks kinda crappy on console, while the PC version if one of the best-looking titles on the platform. If you've got the juice to max it, that is.[/QUOTE]

You need a really nice computer with the latest graphics card for dx 11 to make it look as nice as it could but yes, it's one of the best looking games on the PC and that's saying a lot.

I'm a little upset that I didn't see the Puzzle Pack yesterday when I checked the deals right at 1:00. Do you think they would offer it to me if I wrote support about it? I really don't think it was shown when I checked. I'm disappointed I missed that pack.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Doing it wrong, games looks kinda crappy on console, while the PC version if one of the best-looking titles on the platform. If you've got the juice to max it, that is.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I doubt I could max it out, but I could probably run it better than it looks on 360.. I just hate being crunched over keyboard for extended period + my tv is a hell of alot better than my monitor.

I mainly use PC for RTS and occasional TF2.

[quote name='celegus']Didn't get too much, but I'm still trying to figure out how I've lived this long without Defense Grid. Holy crap best $1.50 ever spent.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this statement.

[quote name='DBrooks23']does any one know where i could get dragon age origins for direct dl and is on sale? or should i get KOTOR? which is better?[/QUOTE]

da ultimate is on impulse for $25

Nothing for me...Christmas sale is usually better anyway

Oh well, I've got plenty to keep me busy with shooters like Reach, BC2, Black Ops and Killzone 2 arriving from amazon today

[quote name='TheLongshot']No. Last Christmas, it was $5. This is the cheapest I've seen it.[/QUOTE]
If I am not mistaken it was $2 before during one of the major sales.

[quote name='Blackshear']Yeah, I doubt I could max it out, but I could probably run it better than it looks on 360.. I just hate being crunched over keyboard for extended period + my tv is a hell of alot better than my monitor.

I mainly use PC for RTS and occasional TF2.[/QUOTE]

*shrug* That why I have an additional HDMI connection hooking my PC up to my TV. I play PC games like Batman: AA from the couch. :lol:

Just something to consider.

[quote name='DBrooks23']does any one know where i could get dragon age origins for direct dl and is on sale? or should i get KOTOR? which is better?[/QUOTE]
If you haven't played KoTOR yet you really really should. At $2 it's a steal. Especially since it's likely that we'll see DA for sale at some point on Steam in the next month.

Getting Indie Air Pack, Monkey Island 2 and probably Metro 2033 today. All in all I feel it was a great sale. I got a lot of games I'd been wanting for a while for really good prices.

I'll butt in and also say that Trine is a great buy for $2.50. Fun platforming with beautiful visuals and a great soundtrack.

My takeaway: Indie Story Pack, Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising, GTA4: Episodes from Liberty City and then everything from today. $35 total.

[quote name='docvinh']Anyone have any impressions of Lead and Gold? I'm debating whether I want to get it or not.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty fun. The lag was unbearable for a while and even when the dedicated servers came out it was still kind of a mess. I believe they have most everything sorted now, but I haven't played in a few months so I don't know for sure. The basic gameplay is decent enough though. Although sometimes you'll want to pull your hair out: Gunslinger's fan ability, getting one-shotted by the Blaster.

[quote name='TheLongshot']No. Last Christmas, it was $5. This is the cheapest I've seen it.[/QUOTE]
Copied from my transaction history:

Nov 27, 2009 $2.49 Purchase Star Wars: KOTOR

Still doesn't change the fact that it hasnt been less than $2.49 tho :)

[quote name='docvinh']Anyone have any impressions of Lead and Gold? I'm debating whether I want to get it or not.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy in for $2 :)

Anyone having problems with the Dirt 2 demo? I verified the files, but whenever I launch the demo, it just brings me to the game page in the steam browser.

To rank the sale in two different ways

Compared to just other steam Sales C or maybe C+
Compared to non steam sales B

Was a solid sale, but compared to some of the others we have had through Steam it was just ok. Too many games were put on sale twice and too many games we have seen far too many times such as Orange Box and Peggle. Ending on a day better then todays meh fest may have helped!

While there weren't many legendary deals, the Indie packs were all very solid and the bundles provided a nice value for those that could take advantage of them. Every one of the sale games offered today (except AVP which sucks and Mafia 2 with the weak discount) is a solid value at the price they've posted. I think many of the people posting here, including myself, have seen many previous sales and have a lot of the games offered already. I think it was a nice sale that offered something a bit different in concept and is a nice lead up to the inevitable great Holiday Sale.

^Would say the Indie Packs would've brought that grade to maybe a B+. Well that is my opinion though.

Would've loved to see ME or DA on sale for < 10

Also wanted to see the Braid group buy actually happen :(

[quote name='forbiddenx']^Would say the Indie Packs would've brought that grade to maybe a B+. Well that is my opinion though.

Would've loved to see ME or DA on sale for < 10

Also wanted to see the Braid group buy actually happen :([/QUOTE]

I loved the indy packs, but two things brought it down from that B+ to B for me. First that they used up slots posting games from the indy pack as their own deals....yet those deals were generally $2.50-$5.00 making them disproportionate in price. I could see selling the games that were packed separtly for $1.50 or something like that, but $2.50-$5.00 for games that were just packed with 4 others for $5...bit ridonkoulous no? The second thing was that quite a few of those later indy packs featured games like Altitude and Dog Fighter which had JUST went on sale in the last month or two.

Almost all the games you want will be sale come Christmas time. Be glad they were not on sale now so I wouldn't have to hear you whine about it being cheaper then rather than now.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I loved the indy packs, but two things brought it down from that B+ to B for me. First that they used up slots posting games from the indy pack as their own deals....yet those deals were generally $2.50-$5.00 making them disproportionate in price. I could see selling the games that were packed separtly for $1.50 or something like that, but $2.50-$5.00 for games that were just packed with 4 others for $5...bit ridonkoulous no? The second thing was that quite a few of those later indy packs featured games like Altitude and Dog Fighter which had JUST went on sale in the last month or two.[/QUOTE]

Yea I get what you're saying. It's kind of like a slap in the face for people who didn't buy the indy pack.

I didn't buy all of them, just 3/5 so far. Still contemplating for the Indie Air pack.

Also does anyone know how the $5 is distributed between the indie devs? Do they each get $1 each?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back