Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']If I am not mistaken it was $2 before during one of the major sales.[/QUOTE]

It was also $2.50 last Thanksgiving. That's probably what you're thinking of. :)

[quote name='MSI Magus']I loved the indy packs, but two things brought it down from that B+ to B for me. First that they used up slots posting games from the indy pack as their own deals....yet those deals were generally $2.50-$5.00 making them disproportionate in price. I could see selling the games that were packed separtly for $1.50 or something like that, but $2.50-$5.00 for games that were just packed with 4 others for $5...bit ridonkoulous no? The second thing was that quite a few of those later indy packs featured games like Altitude and Dog Fighter which had JUST went on sale in the last month or two.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have a problem with the former. I would expect that a game outside a bundle would be "less" of a value than it would be in the bundle. Course, if you are just interested in the one game and not the other games in the bundle, paying extra for the bundle wouldn't make much sense.

As for the latter, well that comes with the territory. How many times on CAG have people screamed in frustration as a game they just bought got a big price drop? It ihas happened many times.

I'm happy with the sale. I only ended up buying Batman and Dawn of War 2. Both of these games are exceptional and way worth the cheap price I paid.
And if you're unsure what to buy between AvP or Metro, I'd definitely recommend Metro 2033. Very cool and different gameplay and works well most of the time. I found AvP to be underwhelming and short.

Last day of trailers!

[youtube]q-I2wyNNTPA[/youtube][youtube]0p0CyW27ghw[/youtube]
[youtube]KsjsKsicCjY[/youtube][youtube]ZtttvaTjl8U[/youtube]
[youtube]Auv_KM8jK4o[/youtube][youtube]0Jhaz2_NGAI[/youtube]

3332646253cab19cd285d7eafd3b3a00d1e4bf28_full.jpg

Everyone who buys the Indie Flight Pack, please join the CAG DogFighter Steam group!

f7eee273cfbb50e249d2e823780580034a77b09a_full.jpg

Also, people who get Lead & Gold: Gangs of the Wild West should join the CAG Lead & Gold Steam group!

[quote name='spuffin']Copied from my transaction history:

Nov 27, 2009 $2.49 Purchase Star Wars: KOTOR

Still doesn't change the fact that it hasnt been less than $2.49 tho :)[/QUOTE]

Which explains why I didn't see it, since I didn't really follow Steam much until the Christmas deals last year.

They had a lead and gold free weekend about a month ago. After playing over the weekend, I was so hooked, that i bought it for $7.50 (50%) off on steam. I recommend everyone to get it at this price... $2 is worth it for this game.

It's pure multiplayer action, but it's simple and super fun... in some ways reminds me of goldeneye on N64 because if you want to get a clear shot, you need to "aim", so usually you have some still folks on there, but then you need to watch your back, becuase somebody would come up and shoot you down... The four classes on there are pretty well balanced if you asked me.

I love this game for the simplicity. If you gave somebody that never played the game the controller, they'll be able to immediately pick it up, play, and not feel cheated. There's no ducking/crouching.. sometimes you feel like crouching, but in some ways, it works out for the best. The levels are specifically designed so that if you want to just peek and shoot, you could position yourself in such a way without crouching.

I play with an xbox 360 controller, and though sometimes i feel as if others have the advantage with a keyboard, most of the time, i feel quite alright with it...

My two cents. It's worth the $2.

I picked up World of Goo, Trine and AVP today so far. I'm currently still considering Dirt 2 very strongly.

Overall, I have liked this sale. I got a good amount of games I have wanted for awhile.

My haul so far:

My hull thus far:
Deus Ex GOTY
Recettear
Puzzle Agent
Jolly Rover
And Yet It Moves
Gish
Audiosurf
CS Source
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Freedom Force
Just Cause 2
Osmos
Cogs
Shatter
Droplitz
Puzzle Dimension
Tidalis
Trine
World of Goo
AVP

Total 38.57

i missed the real winter sale last year, and everyone is getting me hyped talking about it. so when will the "real" holiday sale be?

[quote name='daroga']Am I right in assuming that the Gratuitous Space Battles in the Indie pack DOESN'T come with all the addons?[/QUOTE]

Your assumption is correct.

This is my complete haul, don't think i'm gonna get anything else:

And Yet it Moves
AudioSurf
Beat HAzard
BIT.TRIP BEAT
Defense Grid: THe Awakening
Deus Ex: GOTY
Eufloria
Freedom Force
Gish
Iron Grip: Warlord
Jolly Rover
Just Cause 2
NyxQuest
Osmos
The Polynomial
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Quest 2
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Rhythm Zone
VVVVVV
World of Goo
Puzzle Dimension
Shatter
Tidalis
Cogs
Droplitz
Altitude
DogFighter
Flotilla
Gratuitous Space Battles
Plain Sight

Total: 42

picked up flotilla during the summer sale after trying the demo loved the sense of humor and trine is by far my favorite pickup from the holiday sale, so much I haven't played still.

this sale finally picked up machinarium and defense grid, also picked up the puzzle pack, for cogs mainly already had shatter. Probably should have picked up the story pack I do like stories.

Here's my haul:

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
Aliens vs Predator
Metro 2033
Star Wars: KOTOR
Altitude
DogFighter
Floatilla
Gratuitous Space Battles
Plain Sight
Just Cause 2
Mount and Blade: Warband
Cogs
Droplitz
Puzzle Dimension
Shatter
Tidalis
Counter-Strike: Source
Red Faction Guerrilla
NyxQuest
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Supreme Commander 2
AudioSurf
Beat Hazard
Bit.Trip Beat
Rhythm Zone
The Polynomial
Dock Clock
Eufloria
Iron Grip: Warlord
VVVVVV
World of Goo
Machinarium

TOTAL $73.04 for 32 games.

Looking at it now I think I went a little overboard. If I'd been paying attention I would have also got the Indie Story Pack, Alpha Protocol and Borderlands. I'm sure all of those will go on sale again before I run out of other things to play though.

I've kept Steam purchases light this BF/CM.

GTA4: EFLC - $10.20
Metro 2033 - $10
AvP - $6.80
Monkey Island 2 - $2.50

Total = $29.50

Not a bad deal at all...and I managed to keep my spending reasonable this year. ;)

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I've kept Steam purchases light this BF/CM.

GTA4: EFLC - $10.20
Metro 2033 - $10
AvP - $6.80
Monkey Island 2 - $2.50

Total = $29.50

Not a bad deal at all...and I managed to keep my spending reasonable this year. ;)[/QUOTE]

you could have saved about $5ish if you had bought AvP and Episodes through the share thread =/

but hey, good prices any way

Heres what I took in...
Indie Story
Indie Puzzle
Indie Air
Portal
Orange Box
Batman AA GotY
Audiosurf
Counterstrike-Source
Grand Theft Auto EFLC
Just Cause 2
Left for dead 2
Metro 2033
Dirt 2
Monkey Island 2(never played one, is this still good for a newbie?
Nyxquest
Supreme Commander 2

I built my first PC like a week or two ago so this was my first steam sale. It was GOOD lol

So I downloaded Dirt 2, and it asks me for a LIVE account so it can save my progress (Though i'll mostly be offline).

I tried signing in using my XBOX LIVE account, and then it asks for an update. I click yes and it downloads the update and the game restarts as usual.

But then it asks for my live account, then I sign in and click "SIGN IN AUTOMATICALLY"....then it asks for another update!

I let it update AGAIN, then the game restarted. THEN IT ASKED TO LOG IN AGAIN, AND AFTER TYPING IT IT WANTED ANOTHER UPDATE

WHAT THE fuck THIS IS STEAM NOT LIVE GFSDSHGDHDHS

AVP is pretty cool and definitely worth the five bucks I paid. The marine campaign is more like survival horror so far. Survivor mode will be fun with friends.

I am trying not to spend too much money... so far I got:

Audiosurf (PC) - 1.67$ (CAG)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2.50$ (Steam)

ended up with..

Gish
And Yet It Moves
Puzzle Agent
Jolly Rover
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
Empire Total War
Machinarium
NyxQuest
Just Cause 2
Mount & Blade Warband
Osmos
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Trine
Lead and Gold

Was fun!

Well, here is my list so far:
Audiosurf
Defense Grid
Freedom Force
Aliens vs Predator
Lead and Gold

Debating picking up Dirt 2 and the Indie Air pack, probably only going to get one of them.

The only thing I bought over the deal period was Metro 2033, and only because it got quite a bit of praise on the CAGcast for being a good single player game with great atmosphere.

Couldn't pass it up for 10 bucks!

This marks my smallest haul since the last Thanksgiving sale:

Indie Story Pack (already had Gish, wanted And Yet It Moves, Reccetear was a bonus)
Kane and Lynch 2
Indie Clever Pack (already had World of Goo, wanted VVVVV, which I beat and was great, challenging fun)
Lara Croft Guardian of Light
King's Bounty: Crossworlds
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition

From group packs:
Mount and Blade: Warband
Just Cause 2
NyxQuest

Good stuff. Eagerly awaiting for Super Meat Boy to unlock tomorrow :)

my regret from this sale was not picking up the indie story pack...really wished i could have gotten in on that, but I'm hoping for a re-run of these packs at the end of December

my wife has been warned to expect me to spend over $100 in the holiday sale...surprisingly enough, she doesn't seem to care

[quote name='rayshon1']So I downloaded Dirt 2, and it asks me for a LIVE account so it can save my progress (Though i'll mostly be offline).

I tried signing in using my XBOX LIVE account, and then it asks for an update. I click yes and it downloads the update and the game restarts as usual.

But then it asks for my live account, then I sign in and click "SIGN IN AUTOMATICALLY"....then it asks for another update!

I let it update AGAIN, then the game restarted. THEN IT ASKED TO LOG IN AGAIN, AND AFTER TYPING IT IT WANTED ANOTHER UPDATE

WHAT THE fuck THIS IS STEAM NOT LIVE GFSDSHGDHDHS[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I passed on it. I was really close to pulling the trigger until I found out it used GFWL, glad Just Cause 2 doesn't, although I will have to upgrade to W7 before I can even play that one lol.

[quote name='shytface']That's exactly why I passed on it. I was really close to pulling the trigger until I found out it used GFWL, glad Just Cause 2 doesn't, although I will have to upgrade to W7 before I can even play that one lol.[/QUOTE]

live achievements might push me into buying it. to each his own.

I am glad I decided to give steam a try finally. Overall, I got 26 games for very cheap. In this last deal of the day, I own none of the games listed, any of them worth the money. Also have Star Wars on xbox.

The three multiplayer games (Altitude, Dogfighter, Plain Sight) are kind of a crapshoot as to if there are enough players. Gratuitous Space Battles is a fun ship building game, design your ships, give them vague orders, hit go and watch the battle unfold. Flotilla is a semi-random coffeebreak sized space adventure with balls-shatteringly hard combat. Unless you figure out the knack better than I did.

I'd say worth it for GSB and Flotilla, and the other three may or may not be good. Well, I know at least Altitude and Plain Sight are fun if you get a good game of 'em going.

[quote name='cmackchase']I am glad I decided to give steam a try finally. Overall, I got 26 games for very cheap. In this last deal of the day, I own none of the games listed, any of them worth the money. Also have Star Wars on xbox.[/QUOTE]

It depends heavily on what you like. Assuming you like the look of the game and genre (and this is where you should look at screenshots, videos and maybe a demo, if available) the following I consider to be worth the money:

- Monkey Island 2 ($2.50): top notch point and click adventure game
- DiRT 2 ($5.00): an absolutely huge racing game with tons of content and extremely high production values.
- Peggle Deluxe ($4.99): A pachinko inspired action puzzler. It's from PopCap, a company with generally very high production values. Loads of content.
- Metro 2033 ($10.00): An extremely atmospheric first-person shooter with very high end graphics. Beware: high hardware requirements
- Trine ($2.50 if you can get in on a group buy): a platform adventure puzzler with gorgeous graphics and solid gameplay

Beat Hazard is good, though it was cheaper in the Indie Pack from a few days ago. Avoid AVP unles you're a diehard fan. Indie Air Pack has some good games but they lean towards quirky-niche. World of Goo, good game but was cheaper in a pack. Mafia 2 still way too high. And you said you already have KOTOR.

[quote name='hal']It depends heavily on what you like. Assuming you like the look of the game and genre (and this is where you should look at screenshots, videos and maybe a demo, if available) the following I consider to be worth the money:

- Monkey Island 2 ($2.50): top notch point and click adventure game
- DiRT 2 ($5.00): an absolutely huge racing game with tons of content and extremely high production values.
- Peggle Deluxe ($4.99): A pachinko inspired action puzzler. It's from PopCap, a company with generally very high production values. Loads of content.
- Metro 2033 ($10.00): An extremely atmospheric first-person shooter with very high end graphics. Beware: high hardware requirements
- Trine ($2.50 if you can get in on a group buy): a platform adventure puzzler with gorgeous graphics and solid gameplay

Beat Hazard is good, though it was cheaper in the Indie Pack from a few days ago. Avoid AVP unles you're a diehard fan. Indie Air Pack has some good games but they lean towards quirky-niche. World of Goo, good game but was cheaper in a pack. Mafia 2 still way too high. And you said you already have KOTOR.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed the packs before today's. So I am tempted to grab today's as well. And after looking at Gratutious and the space ninja game, ill grab the air pack and possibly Dirt 2.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Hmm should I bite for Monkey Island 2 today or wiat for the christmas sale?[/QUOTE]

If you want the game at all, then I don't think the remote possibility that it will somehow be significantly cheaper than $2.50 (is that even possible, really?) is worth the risk that it won't be on as much a discount as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back