Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GoingIncognito']So what does everyone think about the Civ 5 price? Do you think they'll put it on sale again during the Christmas sale? I want to maximize my limited year-end gaming budget, of course ;).[/QUOTE]

It depends on how much you like civ and how patient you are. I don't think we will see it below 30 in the next 6 months, maybe 25. That being said 37.50 is nothing special but its not bad either, its pretty mediocre. Remember though that its a steamworks game so you can buy it anywhere and activate on steam. Target has in on sale for $39.99 this week and 5% off with target card puts it around the same before tax.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Why am I doing these? I don't even play TF2 let alone keep it installed.

I'm earning in-game hats for a game that I don't even fucking play but I can't stop...it's gotta be the underlying free games contest right? RIGHT?!

I'm going to go cry now.[/QUOTE]

This.

The contest has been a clever way to get people like me to actually play the games and not just stash them away in the backlog.

I wonder if their was any jostling amongst the publishers to have their games go on sale early in this thing, because I'm sure the impulse purchases drop off once people reach 10-15 objectives by the middle of the event.

[quote name='pROvIs']Try running the debug.exe in the steamapps folder. That made it run great for me at least today. It looks like the developer recommends this a lot for users having issues.[/QUOTE]

Ermmmm not seeing any such file.

If you are running x64 version of windows its probably located somewhere like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\zombie driver\RelWithDebInfo

[quote name='pROvIs']If you are running x64 version of windows its probably located somewhere like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\zombie driver\RelWithDebInfo[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm thanks, but does not seem to want to run for me.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hmmmm thanks, but does not seem to want to run for me.[/QUOTE]

you probably have Windows UAC turned on. try holding shift then right clicking and click run as administrator.

[quote name='GoingIncognito']So what does everyone think about the Civ 5 price? Do you think they'll put it on sale again during the Christmas sale? I want to maximize my limited year-end gaming budget, of course ;).[/QUOTE]

It was $29.99 several times at Amazon during Thanksgiving week (USA). That's when I bought my copy.

It's shown steady drop at Amazon: 10% after 1 month, 20% after 2 months. It's presently $39.99, so $37.50 from Steam is not particularly impressive.

I suspect it will be represented as one of the daily deals during the Steam Christmas/Year-End sale, which begins on Monday. Last year, they seemed to have quite a few games in the 3-6-month-old range for 33-50% off. Me, I'm hoping to get some of the DLC maps at a discount. :)

I am pleased to see that it's not getting the "gold star" treatment that most games with it's pedigree get. Like the Blizzard games that never *ever* get a discount worth a damn for years and years. (The stupid Diablo 2 Battlechest sold for $40 for almost 10 years.)

I told myself when Civ 5 was released that $30 would be my breaking point; I was pleased that it only took a couple of months to get there.

As the other commenter stated, you'll get a Steam code with any purchase, no matter where you buy it, even D2D. So look for the best deal without drawing a distinction between physical or digital copy. This is, effectively, a digital-only game, as you must install/use Steam to play.

I found a little bit of information about the Steam Holiday Sale in this article about Oddworld's "Oddbox":

[quote name='Oddworld.com'](...)

The release of Oddboxx will also coincide with the first day of the Annual Steam Holiday Sale, meaning that during the first 24 hours of release, the game will be sold with 50% of its marked price discounted.

After this and until January 3rd, a 25% discount will apply to the marked price.

The Steam Holiday Sale runs from the 20th of December, through to January 3rd, as do the discounts above, exclusively through Steam.

(...)

[/quote]

The Oddbox's base price is supposedly $25, meaning the sale price should be $12.50 :hot:

For any Oddworld fans that don't know, the Oddbox is a compilation of all 4 Oddworld games. The first two games have already been on PC (and on Steam), but Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath were ported specifically to be part of the Oddbox.

[quote name='Viper45']I found a little bit of information about the Steam Holiday Sale in this article about Oddworld's "Oddbox":

The Oddbox's base price is supposedly $25, meaning the sale price should be $12.50 :hot:

For any Oddworld fans that don't know, the Oddbox is a compilation of all 4 Oddworld games. The first two games have already been on PC (and on Steam), but Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath were ported specifically to be part of the Oddbox.[/QUOTE]

Sneaky. The normal safe way of going through the Xmas sales is waiting till the last day to make sure whatever you're buying does not end up on one of the daily sales for even higher discounts.

This way they're kinding of forcing you to buy it on the first day.

Not saying it'll show up, because they certainly don't mention it but wow that would be bloody sneaky if it did.

[quote name='Viper45']I found a little bit of information about the Steam Holiday Sale in this article about Oddworld's "Oddbox":

For any Oddworld fans that don't know, the Oddbox is a compilation of all 4 Oddworld games. The first two games have already been on PC (and on Steam), but Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath were ported specifically to be part of the Oddbox.[/QUOTE]
Cool. I've been wanting to play Munch's and Stranger's for a long time.
Edit: Any word on the resolution or textures or anything that's been updated for the games?

[quote name='Pheace']Sneaky. The normal safe way of going through the Xmas sales is waiting till the last day to make sure whatever you're buying does not end up on one of the daily sales for even higher discounts.

This way they're kinding of forcing you to buy it on the first day.

Not saying it'll show up, because they certainly don't mention it but wow that would be bloody sneaky if it did.[/QUOTE]

Well I think what's happening is the Oddbox will be one of the daily deals on the first day for -50%, then sit at its "normal holiday discount" price of -25% for the rest of the sale.

[quote name='Viper45']Well I think what's happening is the Oddbox will be one of the daily deals on the first day for -50%, then sit at its "normal holiday discount" price of -25% for the rest of the sale.[/QUOTE]

Ah good point, that could be the case xD

[quote name='gcorlett']It was $29.99 several times at Amazon during Thanksgiving week (USA). That's when I bought my copy.

It's shown steady drop at Amazon: 10% after 1 month, 20% after 2 months. It's presently $39.99, so $37.50 from Steam is not particularly impressive.

I suspect it will be represented as one of the daily deals during the Steam Christmas/Year-End sale, which begins on Monday. Last year, they seemed to have quite a few games in the 3-6-month-old range for 33-50% off. Me, I'm hoping to get some of the DLC maps at a discount. :)

I am pleased to see that it's not getting the "gold star" treatment that most games with it's pedigree get. Like the Blizzard games that never *ever* get a discount worth a damn for years and years. (The stupid Diablo 2 Battlechest sold for $40 for almost 10 years.)

I told myself when Civ 5 was released that $30 would be my breaking point; I was pleased that it only took a couple of months to get there.

As the other commenter stated, you'll get a Steam code with any purchase, no matter where you buy it, even D2D. So look for the best deal without drawing a distinction between physical or digital copy. This is, effectively, a digital-only game, as you must install/use Steam to play.[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for $30, too. I'd rather buy it from Steam, though, as I was under the impression that the other download services didn't offer the Windows/Mac version, and the boxed copies only contain the Windows version. I play on both a Mac and PC, so I'd prefer to get both versions at once without having to pay extra. Unless when you activate it on Steam you become eligible to download the Mac version for free, too. I am wondering if they'd put it up for sale with the Christmas sale, and was thinking that if they have it for sale right now would they have it for sale again so soon, or have it for sale for a greater discount. I may just hold off and see. I know there will be plenty of other games during these upcoming sales that I want, and it's not like I'm starving for games.

Sweet!

You guys don't deserve this, because of the way my last leak got fucking reposted all over the place, but here, here's the packs that are coming up for the Holiday Sale:

Indie 2D Pack: Bullet Candy, Galcon Fusion, Geometry Wars, Super Laser Racer, VVVVVV
Indie Adventure Pack: And Yet It Moves, Gish, Jolly Rover, Mr Robot, Samorost2
Indie Beat Pack: Beat Hazard, Bit.Trip Beat, Chime, Rhythm Zone, Turba
Indie Brain Pack: Big Brain Wolf, Diamond Dan, Puzzle Bots, Windowsill, Zen Bound 2
Indie Fantasy Pack: Bob Came in Pieces, Fairie Solitaire, Fortix, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, Spectromancer
Indie Flight Pack: Dogfighter, Everyday Shooter, Flotilla, Gratuitious Space Battles, Guns of Icarus
Indie Fright Pack: Burn Zombie Burn, The Path, The Scourge Project, The Void, Zombie Driver
Indie Future Pack: Hacker Evolution, Hammerfight, System Protocol One, Twin Sector, Uplink
Indie Heavy Hitters Pack: Audiosurf, Shattered Horizon, World of Goo, Zeno Clash
Indie Kids Pack: Delve Deeper, Crayon Physics, Max & Magic Marker, Secret of Magic Crystal, Toki Tori
Indie Mix Pack: Cogs, Darwinia, Defcon, Eufloria, Plain Sight
Indie Smart Pack: Droplitz, Lumines, Puzzle Agent, Quantz

Indie Potato Pack (yes, that's what it's called, don't ask me): AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori

All of these except the Potato Pack should be $5.

Also, there will be massively discounted Holiday-Sale-only packs of all of Eidos/Square-Enix's games, and all of 2K's games.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You guys don't deserve this, because of the way my last leak got fucking reposted all over the place, but here, here's the packs that are coming up for the Holiday Sale:

Indie 2D Pack: Bullet Candy, Galcon Fusion, Geometry Wars, Super Laser Racer, VVVVVV
Indie Brain Pack: Big Brain Wolf, Diamond Dan, Puzzle Bots, Windowsill, Zen Bound 2
Indie Fantasy Pack: Bob Came in Pieces, Fairie Solitaire, Fortix, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, Spectromancer
Indie Flight Pack: Dogfighter, Everyday Shooter, Flotilla, Gratuitious Space Battles, Guns of Icarus
Indie Fright Pack: Burn Zombie Burn, The Path, The Scourge Project, The Void, Zombie Driver
Indie Future Pack: Hacker Evolution, Hammerfight, System Protocol One, Twin Sector, Uplink
Indie Heavy Hitters Pack: Audiosurf, Shattered Horizon, World of Goo, Zeno Clash
Indie Kids Pack: Delve Deeper, Crayon Physics, Max & Magic Marker, Secret of Magic Crystal, Toki Tori

Indie Potato Pack (yes, that's what it's called, don't ask me): AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori

Also, there will be massively discounted Holiday-Sale-only packs of all of Eidos/Square-Enix's games, and all of 2K's games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, posted on SD ;)

[quote name='etcrane']Thanks, posted on SD ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually what fucking makes me the angriest is fucking idiots who think it's smart to post this shit ON THE OFFICIAL STEAM FORUMS.

These leaks are going to get closed down if people keep doing that.

[quote name='FrankTheTank3388']Toki Tori in the kid's pack? That game was pretty damn challenging for me![/QUOTE]

The only actual "kid's" game in the kids pack is Secret of Magic Crystal. It's weird, I know.

I'll be damned if I don't have at least one game in each of those packs. That would be neat if you could pick five games for a mix and match pack. Thanks for the heads up CE.

Thanks for the info. If I already own games that are part of the pack? I guess I can't gift those extra copies to someone else ** edit Aww crap someone spilled the beans. List will probably change now

wow those packs are...meh

I don't know if it's that i just have an insane library or what, but i own at least 1 out of each of those. I'm at the point where i refuse to double dip on digital titles that i can't gift =/ If i pay for a second copy i should be able to pass the second on to a friend or family member.

[quote name='thetruelokre']wow those packs are...meh

I don't know if it's that i just have an insane library or what, but i own at least 1 out of each of those. I'm at the point where i refuse to double dip on digital titles that i can't gift =/ If i pay for a second copy i should be able to pass the second on to a friend or family member.[/QUOTE]

Owning a game does not make for a poor pack. First off if those packs are also $5 then even if you own a game the others work out to $1.25 each which aint bad. But second even if you owned all 5 there are plenty of people out there that do not and it will be awsome for them.

As for the potato pack I am with whoever said they should have waited on Super Meat Boy. I really wanted to wait for a sale on it, but people here convinced me the developer behind the game never has sales and that $10 is the best price it will be for years....should have known better then to listen to that!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Owning a game does not make for a poor pack. First off if those packs are also $5 then even if you own a game the others work out to $1.25 each which aint bad. But second even if you owned all 5 there are plenty of people out there that do not and it will be awsome for them.

As for the potato pack I am with whoever said they should have waited on Super Meat Boy. I really wanted to wait for a sale on it, but people here convinced me the developer behind the game never has sales and that $10 is the best price it will be for years....should have known better then to listen to that![/QUOTE]

I have no regrets with SMB. Possibly my GotY for $10, that makes me very happy.

Nice catch! I'll go for it, even though I bought the first 2 Oddworld games on Steam last year >_>

Giant holiday update for Team Fortress 2 today adding many items and a new all-melee game mode. Important to note that for anyone who isn't against micropayments in games but thinks certain items are overpriced, there's a sale going on in the store on most of the items, but not the newest ones.

CoffeeEdge, you're the man. Thanks :)

only pack I'll likely pick up:

[quote name='CodeDealer']To get "Smack Talker" you need to set your profile and comment privileges public and then post on friends wall. It then will unlock and you can delete your comment after you get it. [/QUOTE]
Maybe not, on the deleting part. I just found out that I lost the 10 friends objective when I pruned my friends list. ARG!

Being new to shopping Steam and all these indie games, all these packs are going to be super tempting. Very excited. Input on which I should take the closest look at would be appreciated, as I know next to nothing about a lot of these games.

[quote name='pROvIs']As it is I feel like I am dying more often because the controls performed in a way I didn't want them to then because of bad skill.[/QUOTE]

Then just buy a controller. It's not like Zombie Driver is the only PC game that supports them. I think the controls are really great with a controller, except for the menu controls which show a lack of thought on the developer's fault.

[quote name='contej85']Being new to shopping Steam and all these indie games, all these packs are going to be super tempting. Very excited. Input on which I should take the closest look at would be appreciated, as I know next to nothing about a lot of these games.[/QUOTE]

Outside of the "Potato Pack" which just looks amazing (depending on the price...), I highly recommend the "Adventure" pack, if you're into that sort of thing.

[quote name='mrfossey']Outside of the "Potato Pack" which just looks amazing (depending on the price...), I highly recommend the "Adventure" pack, if you're into that sort of thing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm awaiting a price on that pack, if it's decent I'll double dip for me and the g/f.

Those packs look nice. If they are $5 each I will pick up 3 or 4 of them :) Fright Pack for sure

Love buying these indie games that I have never heard of at a buck each. Some of them are really fun.

Bummer, I already own most of the games in those packs. Bit disappointed that SMB and Amnesia are ending up in a pack this soon since I bought them not that long ago, but such is the way of Steam. Should never trust those 50% off weekend deals.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Indie 2D Pack: Bullet Candy, Galcon Fusion, Geometry Wars, Super Laser Racer, VVVVVV
Indie Kids Pack: Delve Deeper, Crayon Physics, Max & Magic Marker, Secret of Magic Crystal, Toki Tori[/QUOTE]

Already own a few games in some of these packs, but assuming the $5 price remains, there are still a few games that make them tempting.

2D: Getting it for VVVVVV and Galcon Fusion
Beat: Already own Chime, but Bit.trip Beat and Beat Hazard might make it worth it. Need to check up on the other two
Fantasy: Probably for Bob and Nyxquest
Future: Already own Uplink, but I'm interested in Hacker Evolution, which sounds like a similar concept.
Heavy Hitters: Already own Audiosurf in Steam and World of Goo on disk, but Zeno Clash interests me.
Kids: Crayon Physics and Toki Tori are the interesting parts of this one.

No fucking way had no idea about this the oddbox is MINE.

I suggest you go over to D2D, use Ignbest or whatever, get your steam key, then input it into Steam and get yer Civ V for $29.99 + tax (if applicable). For me, that went to $32.xx. I consider that too rich for my blood, given I JUST know this'll be on sale at $20 (or less) in a few months and I've got plenty of games to tide me over, including especially those from this upcoming sale on Steam (and other places). Plus, I own Civ IV, which is rather good. (Look at the average user review score for Civ V over at D2D, then read the reviews on Amazon. There are a LOT of disgruntled players.)

The Amazon BF sale had it for $30 for a time. D2D has it for $29.99+tax. I doubt (though never guarantee) that Steam'll beat that through the end of 2010. Everything seems to suggest that Steamplay works the same for games purchased through Steam as those that are purchased elsewhere, including cross-platform (PC+Mac) compatibility for those that include it (like Civ V). However, I had no luck googling it in the five minutes I took to try. I did not look on the steampowered forums though.

As far as those gaming PACKS go...

So far, I'm planning on Oddbox, Fright Pack, and--depending on the price--the Potato Pack. I just hope they don't overprice the Tater. Taters are delicious, but they aren't the main course.

The Beat Pack would be more tempting to me if I didn't already have Beat Hazard and if the Tater did not include Bit.Trip Beat. I figured Chime would be part of a pack, but sadly only part of a pack of games I mostly have or plan to get as part of the Tater.

Would anyone recommend any of those packs after I remove the games I already own?

Indie 2D Pack: Bullet Candy, Galcon Fusion, Geometry Wars, Super Laser Racer
Indie Adventure Pack: Mr Robot
Indie Beat Pack: Turba
Indie Flight Pack:Everyday Shooter, Guns of Icarus
Indie Fright Pack: Burn Zombie Burn, The Path, The Scourge Project, The Void
Indie Heavy Hitters Pack: Shattered Horizon Zeno Clash
Indie Mix Pack: Darwinia, Defcon, Eufloria
Indie Smart Pack: Lumines, Quantz
Indie Potato Pack: AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Braid, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori

I'm interested somewhat in the Brain Pack for Puzzle Bots.
Kind of interested in the Fantasy Pack for Bob and NyxQuest but I'm tempted to pick up Bob today for the objective before the sale ends. Probably won't.
Indie Fright Pack sounds neat for The Path but BZB looked like a high score twin stick shooter which I don't really care for and the others I don't know any of.
Future Pack I have no idea.
Heavy Hitters I'd rather pick up Zeno Clash for cheaper than $5 since I don't care for SH at all.
Kids Pack maybe? Max and the Magic Marker and Crayon Physics maybe?
Mix Pack Darwinia and Eufloria look interesting, not sure of Defcon.

I hope the Potato Pack is cheapish, although I see them charging $50 for it. Amnesia, Super Meat Boy, and the Ball are really really tempting.

Those are some AMAZING Indie packs. As my husband just recently put together a gaming computer for me, I'm looking forward to getting a couple of these packs to enjoy.

The most annoying part will probably be that we're going to see Daily deal slots being taken by indie games we already know will be in a pack later ... and get frustrated over what might have been there instead xD

[quote name='Pheace']The most annoying part will probably be that we're going to see Daily deal slots being taken by indie games we already know will be in a pack later ... and get frustrated over what might have been there instead xD[/QUOTE]

This I can agree with. If they bundle a game they should then not sell it separate(Or vice versa).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You guys don't deserve this, because of the way my last leak got fucking reposted all over the place, but here, here's the packs that are coming up for the Holiday Sale:

Also, there will be massively discounted Holiday-Sale-only packs of all of Eidos/Square-Enix's games, and all of 2K's games.[/QUOTE]

Of course i just bought red orchasta. that is the one thing i dislike about steam. Plus i already have most of the major indie games, there from the indie game pack 1 and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back