Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Firvagor']I'm feeling the same thing (also with Oblivion GOTY Deluxe), but I just don't think $20 is enough to justify an impulse buy. I say wait, even if it's another year.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why it double posted, had trouble with the gif. What's the matter? Don't like clowns much?

I was one of the people who pre-ordered SMB for 9.99, oh well still easily worth that price. EVERYONE ELSE IT IS A MUST BUY at 3.75!!!

Painkiller Black at 4.99 is another great buy for a very fun fps with epic boss battles.

Deus Ex pack is another great deal I already got the GOTY during the Thanksgiving sale so I passed.

I'm pacing myself today so I bought:

BFBC2 (own a digital version through EA.COM I got for 19.99 last March but, wanted on Steam)
PB Winterbottom (wanted the game and it was only 49 cents)

I'm considering FEAR and will eventually buy the 2D and Fright indie packs.

Bring it on Valve, I'm ready for Day 2!

I noticed Steam raised the price of some games before they put it on sale.

One of them being CSS. I was looking to buy that but was waiting for the sale. It was $19.99 and always has been. Now it's $14.99 on sale with a strike through the $29.99. What the fuck?

Got meat boy and winterbottom, great buys. More great indie packs to choose from too. Not sure which im going to get, but atleast 2 or 3. Any recommendations?

[quote name='Alex2290']I noticed Steam raised the price of some games before they put it on sale.

One of them being CSS. I was looking to buy that but was waiting for the sale. It was $19.99 and always has been. Now it's $14.99 on sale with a strike through the $29.99. What the fuck?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Counterstrike: Source? http://store.steampowered.com/app/240/

There's two separate package deals on the page (both $29.99 normally, now $14.99 for the sale). Counterstrike: Source isn't on sale individually.

[quote name='Volcynika']Do you mean Counterstrike: Source? http://store.steampowered.com/app/240/

There's two separate package deals on the page (both $29.99 normally, now $14.99 for the sale). Counterstrike: Source isn't on sale individually.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, but it appears to not be apart of the sale. The page I was looking at before did not make it clear that it is a pack on sale and not just the individual game.

Does anyone know how the PSP versions of the PoP games compare to the PC/Console versions? I picked up Warrior Within, Forgotten Sands and Rival Swords from GoHastings. Obviously graphics quality will be different, but more wondering about overall gameplay and storyline.

Figure I'll buy Sands of Time from Steam for $2.50 since I don't already have it and it is hard to go wrong at that price.

What'll be funny is when the same people being smug about only paying $3.75 in the Steam forum for Super Meat Boy are bitching about it being in the Potato pack later on this very sale.

There is more content in that little game at $15 than there is in a ton of $60 games this gen.

[quote name='fell open ian']what'll be funny is when the same people being smug about only paying $3.75 in the steam forum for super meat boy are bitching about it being in the potato pack later on this very sale.

There is more content in that little game at $15 than there is in a ton of $60 games this gen.[/quote]
qft

Just want to mention there's technically a few more hours left for the treasure hunt and some of the objectives are now in the packs.

Chime is part of indie beat pack
Beat hazard in the indie beat pack
Droplitz in the indie smarts pack
Bob came in pieces in indie fantasy pack
Zombie driver in the indie fright pack

Gifting yourself one of the purchases to get day

for those of you who might be one or two short have like 2 hrs to try to finish up something.

Last edited by a moderator:
well broke down and bought the first three Prince of Persia games. Bringing my first day total to around $20. Not a lot but too many of these kinda days will break my wallet. XD

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']What'll be funny is when the same people being smug about only paying $3.75 in the Steam forum for Super Meat Boy are bitching about it being in the Potato pack later on this very sale.

There is more content in that little game at $15 than there is in a ton of $60 games this gen.[/QUOTE]

Is it certain that the Potato Pack is definitely coming out? That pack is the only thing standing in my way of buying SMB right now so any input on the Potato Pack would be lovely.

[quote name='tightclaws']Great first day! I bought Super Meat Boy $3.75, and 2D Indie Pack for $4.99 wow 20 days to go I'm going to pace myself.[/QUOTE]

So glad to hear someone else is getting the 2D pack, but I'm not sure where you're getting the 20 days from. The sale ends the 2nd.

[quote name='Firvagor']I'm feeling the same thing (also with Oblivion GOTY Deluxe), but I just don't think $20 is enough to justify an impulse buy. I say wait, even if it's another year.[/QUOTE]

Oblivion GOTY Deluxe went down to $8.50 back in the summer. No reason to think that it wont go lower next year.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I was one of the people who pre-ordered SMB for 9.99, oh well still easily worth that price. EVERYONE ELSE IT IS A MUST BUY at 3.75!!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I already have it on Xbox - but at $3.75 I had to bite again. Game is SOOOO good it's out of control! I won't even be super pissed if they cut the price again later in the sale. I'll just buy a couple copies for friends!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']For less than 4 dollars I don't see how anyone could not pick up Super meat Boy. [/QUOTE]

For people that don't like to go insane playing a game. :)

[quote name='ZForce']Swords and Soldiers HD is 5 bucks, anybody have any views on that one? The Wii version got a great review.[/QUOTE]

I bought it and have been playing it for the last couple hours, it's a charming and fun side-scrolling RTS. I would recommend grabbing it if you are at all interested, especially for only 5 bucks.

Also, if anyone else is slumming it like me and playing games on an older laptop (and therefore looking for cheap games they can actually run), this game runs great on my computer.

[quote name='youngavatar']Will the indie bundle stay until jan 2 or is it one day only?[/QUOTE]

Which one? If you're talking about the Heavy Hitter one that I believe tha'ts only a daily bundle.

Anyone that's a fan of numbers/logic puzzles should take a look at Everyday Genius: Square Logic.

It's a really slick and well-done game and it's $1.50.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Which one? If you're talking about the Heavy Hitter one that I believe tha'ts only a daily bundle.[/QUOTE]

i want to get the indie future pack but don't know if it will be available tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the individual FEAR games are going up in price tomorrow or is it just the bundle? I only need FEAR 2

[quote name='hal']Anyone that's a fan of numbers/logic puzzles should take a look at Everyday Genius: Square Logic.

It's a really slick and well-done game and it's $1.50.[/QUOTE]

Looks neat. And I'm such a sucker for nerdy number puzzles like that. I think I'll grab it, thanks for the heads up.

Passed on SMB. Read the thread, and the popular opinion is that it's NOT a game you wanna play on the PC.

Love the steam sale, planning to pick up CIV4 collection. I'm limited to Mac steam play games so my wallet should come out relatively intact.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Passed on SMB. Read the thread, and the popular opinion is that it's NOT a game you wanna play on the PC.
[/QUOTE]

True, but if you own a 360 or a similar PC gaming controller it plays well. I'm using my wired 360 controller to play it.

Surprisingly nothing for me today, all the games I thought I was interested in at first glance had some sort of dealbreaking flaw. I'm holding off on Super Meat Boy in case this potato pack actually shows up.

Decided against the Oddbox since I already got the first 2 for $1.25 ea and Strangers Wrath is getting a PSN HD remake, I'll wait for Munch at $2.50 (already played it on xbox).

Won't get Bad Company 2 cause I refuse to buy any EA MP title that doesn't have P2P or end-user ded server hosting, thanks to that stupid 30 days notice retirement clause, which they have exercised in the past.

Won't get the indie fright pack cause the BZB devs promised to patch in local co-op months ago and failed to deliver.

Think I'll be getting the indie kids pack for my sister, gonna wait till the last day to grab any non daily deals though, learned my lesson about that last year.

[quote name='Kuma']Does anyone know if the individual FEAR games are going up in price tomorrow or is it just the bundle? I only need FEAR 2[/QUOTE]

I don't know for sure, but I'm working under the assumption that anything in the "daily deal" category (which includes the Fear Bundle) may not be available at the same discount later. Then again, based on what I recall from last year, you might see some items for less, you never really know for sure with these things.

Also, today's individual price for both games and the price for the complete set are the same, so it wouldn't really make sense for the bundle to go up in price tomorrow w/o each of the games also going up in price.

[quote name='CreepinDeth']True, but if you own a 360 or a similar PC gaming controller it plays well. I'm using my wired 360 controller to play it.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I was just playing it a few minutes ago for the first time and stopped because I was beating the crap out of my laptop's keyboard. Really need to find a good deal on a wired 360 controller.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Passed on SMB. Read the thread, and the popular opinion is that it's NOT a game you wanna play with a mouse/keyboard[/QUOTE]

PC is every platform. It's for every game. You just gotta get a controller (like any other console.)

[quote name='youngavatar']i want to get the indie future pack but don't know if it will be available tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

All the bundles on the right side of page 15 will be there throughout the whole sale, or at least that is what it looks like.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Also, today's individual price for both games and the price for the complete set are the same, so it wouldn't really make sense for the bundle to go up in price tomorrow w/o each of the games also going up in price.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'm basing my guess that they will go up in price tomorrow.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Passed on SMB. Read the thread, and the popular opinion is that it's NOT a game you wanna play on the PC. [/QUOTE]

That's stupid; I played the entire thing on pc, problem-free. Get a 360 controller and you're good to go.

[quote name='Spino']Is it certain that the Potato Pack is definitely coming out? That pack is the only thing standing in my way of buying SMB right now so any input on the Potato Pack would be lovely.[/QUOTE]Haha, I just bought SMB and I completely forgot about the potato pack :roll::lol: But yea I hope it does come out because I want pretty much all of the games in it.

Is anyone else being directed to their Steam wishlist when they try and access the Steam store? Whenever I click the store tab, it just sends me to my wishlist.

[quote name='Ledhed']That's stupid; I played the entire thing on pc, problem-free. Get a 360 controller and you're good to go.[/QUOTE]

Don't own wired 360 controller, and I don't see myself buying one in near future. It doesn't make sense for me, but it is a great deal nonetheless.

Also, the game isn't MAC compatible yet, and that's the only steam format I can play it on.

And so it begins... I got Super Meat Boy and PB Winterbottom for now, lets see what the next few days bring with the daily deals.

[quote name='Muse1011']How well has the original Deus Ex aged? Is it still as enjoyable now as it was in 2000?[/QUOTE]

Theres some mods out there that freshen it up

[quote name='akmgmer']and so it begins... I got super meat boy and pb winterbottom for now, lets see what the next few days bring with the daily deals.[/quote]

qft

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I bit on F.E.A.R. Complete Pack, Super Meat Boy, and P.B. Winterbottom (how can one say no for $0.50?).

Not bad for $14.21 total...I'm happy! So much so, I want to share another clown with you all. :D

clown.gif
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had the same purchases. Just too good to pass up.

Is anyone else having trouble buying things using Paypal? I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a few games today and I get "We are sorry, we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later. If this error occurred while making a payment, avoid duplicate payments by checking your Account Overview before resending a payment."

[quote name='shytface']

Won't get Bad Company 2 cause I refuse to buy any EA MP title that doesn't have P2P or end-user ded server hosting, thanks to that stupid 30 days notice retirement clause, which they have exercised in the past.

[/QUOTE]

While I can understand your stance (I refuse to buy Ubisoft PC games now with that stupid constant connection DRM), I think you are missing out. I played Counter-Strike for 7+ years, and to me BC2 is the best MP shooter I've ever played. It's great fun.

The first two chapters of Super Meat Boy were great. I took the game's advice and used an xbox 360 controller and did pretty well. I ended up shouting fuck a little too much though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back