Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
BC2 is definitely worth $7.. I paid $50 and $15 for vietnam, some of the best PC gaming experiences I've had is with this game. Add me if you have BC2/Vietnam, both steam and BC2 name = Octocamo

Picked up the Deus Ex pack. Always meant to play them since I first tried out the demo for Invisible War so long ago. I guess now is as good as time as any, considering the third is due out next year.

If you don't own BC2 and you have a computer capable of playing it, you need to pick up this game now. It is my favorite FPS in as long as I can remember.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Don't own wired 360 controller, and I don't see myself buying one in near future.[/QUOTE]

Step 1 - Buy the 360 USB dongle
Step 2 - Use wireless 360 controller to play countless games you bought for cheap during a Steam sale
Step 3 - ???
Step 4 - Profit (and laugh at people who overpay for these games on XBLA/PSN)

[quote name='dudejeff22']Step 1 - Buy the 360 USB dongle
Step 2 - Use wireless 360 controller to play countless games you bought for cheap during a Steam sale
Step 3 - ???
Step 4 - Profit (and laugh at people who overpay for these games on XBLA/PSN)[/QUOTE]

Or... just play it with the keyboard like I did. It works fine.

[quote name='Ledhed']That's stupid; I played the entire thing on pc, problem-free. Get a 360 controller and you're good to go.[/QUOTE]

leave him alone... any reason not to spend money on this sale is a welcome

[quote name='supershammy']If you don't own BC2 and you have a computer capable of playing it, you need to pick up this game now. It is my favorite FPS in as long as I can remember.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a computer capable of playing it, you should buy it anyway and worry about upgrading later :)

My haul for today:

SMB
FEAR
Prince of Persia (all of them)
P.B. Winterbottom
Shattered Union (stupid 50 cent games, I know I'll never play it)
CivCity: Rome (ditto)
Fallout 3 GOTY

Never played SMB, but the internet seems to want to marry it and have its babies so I'll give it a shot. I hemmed and hawed about FO3, but besides the base game it has $50 of DLC - I honestly don't see it getting cheaper anytime soon. Maybe next year it'll show up for $15, and I'll hate myself for not waiting just one more year to save five bucks.

Same goes for BF:BC2, but I passed on it instead. While it looks great, I already have enough multiplayer shooters I don't play. Almost went with the Oddboxx, but by that point my wallet ran into the corner and started hissing and snapping at me when I tried to get it back, so I'm giving it a pass until the next sale.

yo I heard Half Life was a good game, and it was only $5 so I bought it.

I played the tutorial level and I feel like throwing up...

seriously how do u guys play all these first person games?!?!

:puke:

I bought...

POP: The Forgotten Sands
POP: The Sands of Time
PB Winterbottom
Fear 1 (w/DLC)
Titan Quest Gold

I also purchased BFBC2 for my brother as a gift. I made out pretty well. I'm still hoping there will be a good sale on Resident Evil 5. The current discount on RE5 is pretty pathetic.

I really can't understand why RE5 is so high on PC. Usually games are higher on console yet you can find RE5 for $15 brand new on both PS3 and 360 but even when on sale it's higher than that on PC. Crazy.

[quote name='JEKKI']yo I heard Half Life was a good game, and it was only $5 so I bought it.

I played the tutorial level and I feel like throwing up...

seriously how do u guys play all these first person games?!?!

:puke:[/QUOTE]

Have you tried changing the FOV to a wider setting in the options menu?

Also, am I the only one disappointed in the Mass Effect 2 pricing as well? I mean heck, it was lower during the Black Friday sale wasn't it?

[quote name='avwjase']Also, am I the only one disappointed in the Mass Effect 2 pricing as well? I mean heck, it was lower during the Black Friday sale wasn't it?[/QUOTE]

Probably going to be one of the dailies discounted further.

[quote name='avwjase']Also, am I the only one disappointed in the Mass Effect 2 pricing as well? I mean heck, it was lower during the Black Friday sale wasn't it?[/QUOTE]

If you're under the impression that it's impossible for any games to ever be on better discount than they are during the holiday sale, at any point during the year before, than you're mistaken. The holiday sale isn't advertised as "absolutely the best prices on every single game in the last 12 months." For most games, yeah, this is the biggest discount they see all year, but not in 100% of cases.

At any rate, hold out and see if it goes on daily deal at some point in the next 11 days.

Dang I only wanted to buy one copy of Super Meat Boy to gift but bought one for myself too (when buying Oddworld) since I forgot about the Potato Pack. Oh well it looks like between these copies on Steam and XBL I'll have bought the game 4 times in the course of 1 month lol.

Couldn't pass on The Oddboxx since it was the exact price of the 2 games I needed since I had the other two. Also gifted a copy of Portal to my cousin along with that copy of SMB.

I've been wanting to pick up the FEAR games and was about to bite but am trying to hold off on bundles where I know a sequel is coming. I honestly don't mind waiting 1-3 years to purchase them all at a discount price. Examples are the THQ and Valve packs since I want to buy them once they include Red Faction Armageddon and Portal 2 respectively. I figured I've waiting this long and don't mind waiting longer.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Step 1 - Buy the 360 USB dongle
[/QUOTE]

Got a link to that product? First time I've considered doing platform gaming on a PC so I'm trying to get up-to-speed on it.

[quote name='didamangi']Have you tried changing the FOV to a wider setting in the options menu?[/QUOTE]

This. Valve games are known for being particularly nausea-inducing. Which is why they include settings to fix it.

[quote name='Antipodes']Got a link to that product? First time I've considered doing platform gaming on a PC so I'm trying to get up-to-speed on it.[/QUOTE]

You might as well just buy a wired 360 controller. It costs the same as the Wireless Dongle.

I picked up that 49¢ Misadventures game, because I love puzzle platformers. I'm really tempted to pick up Oddworld, Deus Ex, and Prince of Persia since those are 3 series I've heard a lot about but which I've never tried. I feel like it's probably a bad idea for me to buy too many games this close to Christmas though.

[quote name='Pollox']Link: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2

Sometimes you can find a good deal from a third-party seller. The black one is $16 used right now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0032A0RBC/?ie=UTF8&qid=1292921449&sr=8-5&condition=used[/QUOTE]

Considering how you can google the receiver and find quite a lot of people that have just had it stop working on then, I think I would completely avoid buying it used. Then again I would avoid buying it. Better off just buying a controller or using keyboard and mouse.

[quote name='Kaltic']Considering how you can google the receiver and find quite a lot of people that have just had it stop working on them.[/QUOTE]

That's because they're idiots.

[quote name='Antipodes']Bleh, was hoping there was something else besides this:
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Black/dp/B0032A0RBC/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_4

At $34, it defeats the purpose of buying SMG on PC rather than 360 :([/QUOTE]Do *NOT* buy the dongle by itself. They used to be $20 standalone but no longer sell them separately. Now your best bet is to buy the "XBox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows" It is a standard wireless controller (will work with your 360) as well as the wireless dongle. It regularly hits the $40 price point: Black or White Just to be clear, I'm saying don't buy the dongle by itself because it is a rip off price wise.

I don't own a 360 and bought a wireless controller + dongle on release and bought the package deal mentioned above as a backup. It really is a great way to play certain games on PC, especially racing games.

Is PB Winterbottom a daily deal? I'm not sure why I'm asking, I can't see it dropping below $.49 LOL

Thankfully didn't see anything else I wanted in today's deals...may end up grabbing a few of those Indie packs before the sale ends...

Also, couldn't you potentially use a controller like this one for SMB? Not sure if its supported but I bought 2 of these for cheap ($6 each) to play MAME with.

http://www.meritline.com/komodo-nxp3-050-wired-usb-controller-ps3---p-47352.aspx

[quote name='spuffin']Do *NOT* buy the dongle by itself. They used to be $20 standalone but no longer sell them separately. Now your best bet is to buy the "XBox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows" It is a standard wireless controller (will work with your 360) as well as the wireless dongle. It regularly hits the $40 price point: Black or White Just to be clear, I'm saying don't buy the dongle by itself because it is a rip off price wise.

I don't own a 360 and bought a wireless controller + dongle on release and bought the package deal mentioned above as a backup. It really is a great way to play certain games on PC, especially racing games.[/QUOTE]

Used one for 11.99 right now http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Just an fyi, The Oddbox is broken, terrible mess of bad ports and rushed games.

Just hit up the Steam forums and see for yourself. Do not buy, in my opinion.

Also, remember fellow CAGs, unless you "gotta have it now," wait out for daily deals!

I was meaning to pick it up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for the PC eventually, so Steam just gave me an excuse to do so now. I already had most of the games in the potato pack, so I bought Super Meat Boy today because I felt I wouldn't want to play the other games in the pack that I don't have.

[quote name='TheKbob']Just an fyi, The Oddbox is broken, terrible mess of bad ports and rushed games.

Just hit up the Steam forums and see for yourself. Do not buy, in my opinion.

Also, remember fellow CAGs, unless you "gotta have it now," wait out for daily deals![/QUOTE]

Good thing I held off on it. Looking forward to the next round of deals in 6 hours.

I'm looking forward to the next round of deals. As a new PC gamer, I'm highly interested in getting a little collection together to play. As much as I love all these indie games, I'd like some more full-fledged games. King's Bounty looks really great. If it drops sub-$10, I think I'll bite.

Goddamn you Steam! You just want ALL of my money, don't you!? Well, you're not getting it! (because I've something else I need to buy. Otherwise, you'd have it.)

[quote name='solisnk']Super Meat Boy is a bitch to play on the keyboard, definitely need to hook up the controller.[/QUOTE]

i was playing it with my Wiimote last night and it was terrific. I didn't even want to attempt that thing on a keyboard.

Bit on SMB, as a $20 price on the Potato Pack will still be good for many of the other games (notably, Amnesia). Hoping the Valve pack comes down again in price, and trying not to bite on the Jedi Knight Pack...

damn it ok Steam you won, happy? I had BF:BC2 in my cart all day and finally bought it before going to sleep. Thing is I already have it for Xbox and doubt I will even play it but couldn't resist

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']damn it ok Steam you won, happy? I had BF:BC2 in my cart all day and finally bought it before going to sleep. Thing is I already have it for Xbox and doubt I will even play it but couldn't resist[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you did not come to the party prepared! Personally I wore a cup because I knew Steam was going to try and grab me by the short hairs from the start.

[quote name='Kaltic']Considering how you can google the receiver and find quite a lot of people that have just had it stop working on then, I think I would completely avoid buying it used. Then again I would avoid buying it. Better off just buying a controller or using keyboard and mouse.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SideSwiped']That's because they're idiots.[/QUOTE]

No, not really idiots, it is a sort of known problem, it is just that most people have no idea how to fix it.

It requires some soldering work to fix:

http://blog.chase.net.au/index.php/2009/06/broken-xbox-360-wireless-receiver-for-windows/

Or another link on what to do

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1393388-help_microsoft_xbox_360_wireless

Putting a glob of solder across the two points he has there fixes it right up. I know this because mine stopped working and when I came across the solution and tried it out myself the receiver started working once again.

Am I sad for doing this?: I have $60 in my "Gaming Fund" right now for this Steam sale and I'm afraid I'm not going to have enough to last me for the whole sale so I'm selling stuff on ebay just to make some quick money to buy steam games with. :lol:

Just became knowledgeable of The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex. From what I've read, it seems pretty interesting and is hailed as being damn good. Instead of replaying Deus Ex, I'm thinking about trying this out. Any CAGs have an opinion on it?

[quote name='sadikyo']Wow - have you guys seen all the hate going on in the Steam Forum about the Super Meat Boy sale??? It's ridiculously entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Just peeked in there. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back