Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sadikyo']Wow - have you guys seen all the hate going on in the Steam Forum about the Super Meat Boy sale??? It's ridiculously entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Meat Boy rage is crazy!!! I personally think that what happened is not enough people bought this game. While it has been critically adored by any gamer website you go to the thing that keeps sticking out to me is the difficulty that keeps being mentioned and it is (IMHO) not the best looking game I've seen (I understand it stylized). As I've gotten older I don't necessarily miss the difficulty of the past which was (IMHO again) more a product of bad design choices. This sale gives a guy like me a chance to give it a shot without the higher entry price (See Torchlight which now I am checking that dev for what's next). Then maybe if I'm hooked I'll be more willing to make day one purchases from this dev like I do with Valve. Just my 2 cents *Kanye Shrug*

Tempted to get BC2, but I think it is a game I can wait on since I have a large console backlog and just bought all those other games.

The only deal I am really waiting on is Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate for under $30.

If I didn't already own Fallout 3 and New Vegas for Xbox, that Bethesda Pack would be a really good deal.

[quote name='Lord Jezo']No, not really idiots, it is a sort of known problem, it is just that most people have no idea how to fix it.

It requires some soldering work to fix:

http://blog.chase.net.au/index.php/2009/06/broken-xbox-360-wireless-receiver-for-windows/

Or another link on what to do

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1393388-help_microsoft_xbox_360_wireless

Putting a glob of solder across the two points he has there fixes it right up. I know this because mine stopped working and when I came across the solution and tried it out myself the receiver started working once again.[/QUOTE]

I also had to do this, and I only used mine about 3 times before it stopped working. I caution those that try it to have a fairly steady hand or at least some experience soldering before trying it. Since fixing it, I've had no problems with it.

[quote name='sadikyo']Wow - have you guys seen all the hate going on in the Steam Forum about the Super Meat Boy sale??? It's ridiculously entertaining.[/QUOTE]

haha I know, right? They aren't like us CAGs! :lol:

I bought Super Meat Boy for 800 MSP during the month it was released. While it is brutally hard, there's a certain delight in the clearing a stage. While I can't take that kind of beating regularly, it's amusing to have this super difficult game on my hard drive. I like to tinker with it now and again.

What with all the content, it's absolutely worth 800 MSP, or $9.99 on Steam. At the current promotional price, it's a steal.

Picked up the Penumbra pack. $10 for all three games, not bad in my book.

Tempted to get Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, but it's only $2.50 off. Hard to justify paying $7.50 for one game when I got 3 for $10 just now. Same with Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Super Meat Boy 3.75
Indie Brain Pack 4.99
Indie Future Pack 4.99
Blueberry Garden 0.99
Caster 0.99
Sid Meier's Pirates! 2.49

18.20 for 13 games, not bad (had Uplink already)

[quote name='SilveRaven']Super Meat Boy 3.75
Indie Brain Pack 4.99
Indie Future Pack 4.99
Blueberry Garden 0.99
Caster 0.99
Sid Meier's Pirates! 2.49

18.20 for 13 games, not bad (had Uplink already)[/QUOTE]

If you play them let me know how Blueberry Garden and Caster are.

Really struggling with whether I should pick up fallout 3 goty before the deal expires or save that $20 for new deals.
I'm really hoping for a mass effect bundle . . .

Just pulled the trigger on Fallout GOTY. I already have a backlog of games, but oh well. Hopefully it doesn't go cheaper during this sale.

[quote name='hotwls13']Just pulled the trigger on Fallout GOTY. I already have a backlog of games, but oh well. Hopefully it doesn't go cheaper during this sale.[/QUOTE]

Fallout 3 GOTY? It's a daily deal, so I doubt it's gonna go any cheaper.

Anyone think the THQ pack will have a deal of the day sale?

I really want titan quest, but I am also interested in the shooters (including metro 2033) and the warhammer 40k games. But, I am not a big pc gamer, and am not sure I want to pay 50 for that pack. So, I am thinking of buying titan quest for 5, but if the THQ pack went down I would likely buy it.

Decisions, decisions. Any advice?

[quote name='iso135']Anyone think the THQ pack will have a deal of the day sale?

I really want titan quest, but I am also interested in the shooters (including metro 2033) and the warhammer 40k games. But, I am not a big pc gamer, and am not sure I want to pay 50 for that pack. So, I am thinking of buying titan quest for 5, but if the THQ pack went down I would likely buy it.

Decisions, decisions. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

It's always possible but id say its doubtful. It may have dropped below that but I've never seen it go below $50. It's already very reasonable for the games you get. I can't see them dropping it.

[quote name='hotwls13']Just pulled the trigger on Fallout GOTY. I already have a backlog of games, but oh well. Hopefully it doesn't go cheaper during this sale.[/QUOTE]

It won't, don't worry since Daily deals are the cheapest sale during the Holiday Steam sale. (unless of course you buy the Bethesda bundle which has better value per game)

Enjoy, you'll get at least 80 hrs of quality time from Fallout 3 + DLCs. (I'm @ 150 hrs ;p)

My haul:
Super Meat Boy $3.75
BF Bad Company 2 $10.19 (Higher than the US store but still cheapest I've seen)
Titan Quest Gold $5
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom $.50
Total ~$20 first day.

My initial budget for this sale is $50, ya I'm fucked ;p

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Yeah the Meat Boy rage is crazy!!! I personally think that what happened is not enough people bought this game. While it has been critically adored by any gamer website you go to the thing that keeps sticking out to me is the difficulty that keeps being mentioned and it is (IMHO) not the best looking game I've seen (I understand it stylized). As I've gotten older I don't necessarily miss the difficulty of the past which was (IMHO again) more a product of bad design choices. This sale gives a guy like me a chance to give it a shot without the higher entry price (See Torchlight which now I am checking that dev for what's next). Then maybe if I'm hooked I'll be more willing to make day one purchases from this dev like I do with Valve. Just my 2 cents *Kanye Shrug*[/QUOTE]
The paperwork on marketing stuff like this is generally done pretty far in advance, like months ahead of time. I'd be very surprised if the Meat Boy devs didn't know about this sale before the game was even released on Steam. It's possible, but I doubt it.

[quote name='SilveRaven']
Blueberry Garden 0.99
[/QUOTE]

How is Blueberry Garden? The videos made it look whimsical, but I can't help but think it would quickly lose its appeal and never be played again. Not that I should turn down a 99 cent game ... I'm just worried about the clutter aspect.

Since alot of us bought BFBC2 yesterday I'd like to see a sale on the DLC. I'd like to get Vietnam and the SPECACT DLC for a combined $10. I know it won't happen, but one can dream right?

[quote name='pROvIs']It's always possible but id say its doubtful. It may have dropped below that but I've never seen it go below $50. It's already very reasonable for the games you get. I can't see them dropping it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is very reasonable currently. I am not sure I can convince myself to pull the trigger though..

Anybody want to recommend any daily deals for me? I bought Fear 1 (played 2 quite a bit on console and don't have a desire to get play it again) and SMB, which has been one of the best games I've played this year and for less than four dollars that is INSANE. I'm sort of wondering how good Titan Quest is and BFBC2 would probably not get played much because my multiplayer itch is already being scratched. Any other suggestions? Oh yeah, and I already own Deus EX 1 and 2.

Heh I am kind of in the same position. I really want to see the popcap collection at UNDER $50 but don't expect it will ever happen. Last year they had it for $50 which if you did not own a single popcap game is a nice little price....but for people like myself that already own a lot of the best games like Plants vs Zombies and Peggle it was far too much. If they will put it down around $30 or so id grab it for those like Insanaquarium and Rocket Madness I am missing.

Alright got my BC2 working fine now, if anyone else is having problems with crashing, you may have looked up a fix online, and everyone says to go to C:/ Program Files Steamapps common BC2 etc etc,but what you're looking for should be in Documents (at least it was for me).

It should be a folder called BFBC2 and has "crashreport" game settings and settings.

What you want is settings.

[quote name='iso135']Yeah, it is very reasonable currently. I am not sure I can convince myself to pull the trigger though..[/QUOTE]

Well put it this way, The games are worth:

Metro 2033: $10
DoW + Exp: $5-7
DoW2 + Exp: $10-$15
CoH + exp: $5-$10
Red Faction Games: $5-$10
TQ + Exp: $5
Saint's Row 2: $2.50-$3
STALKER: $7.50

The other games are good but I don't know if I can assign them value. It's a great deal if you are interested in all the games but if you are not interested in even a few of them you are better buying it in pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm looking forward to the next round of deals. As a new PC gamer, I'm highly interested in getting a little collection together to play. As much as I love all these indie games, I'd like some more full-fledged games. King's Bounty looks really great. If it drops sub-$10, I think I'll bite.[/QUOTE]

i started out pc gaming a year ago this time because of the whole steam pack deals that were going on last year. i had a decent laptop and bought stuff it could run. eventually i got into stuff i couldnt run and had to build a new machine. 100+ games later, ive cag'd it all the way. steam will definitely get your great cheap games.

Anybody want to recommend any daily deals for me? I bought Fear 1 (played 2 quite a bit on console and don't have a desire to get play it again) and SMB, which has been one of the best games I've played this year and for less than four dollars that is INSANE. I'm sort of wondering how good Titan Quest is and BFBC2 would probably not get played much because my multiplayer itch is already being scratched. Any other suggestions? Oh yeah, and I already own Deus EX 1 and 2.

[quote name='sotc1988']Anybody want to recommend any daily deals for me? I bought Fear 1 (played 2 quite a bit on console and don't have a desire to get play it again) and SMB, which has been one of the best games I've played this year and for less than four dollars that is INSANE. I'm sort of wondering how good Titan Quest is and BFBC2 would probably not get played much because my multiplayer itch is already being scratched. Any other suggestions? Oh yeah, and I already own Deus EX 1 and 2.[/QUOTE]

The Heavy Hitters pack is awesome if you dont have any of those games.

I gave in and also picked up the Fear Complete pack. I played enough of the first one that even if the second one stinks, I'll still be ok with it.

[quote name='Wargamer']Anyone?:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

I love the SimCities games but considering it is over 6 years old, I was hoping EA would priced it at $4.99

Have you looked at Cities XL?

[quote name='LosMerengues']

My initial budget for this sale is $50, ya I'm fucked ;p[/QUOTE]

I already spent $25 yesterday and I'm already took 25% out of my budget. I think my $100 budget will exceed before Christmas :lol:

[quote name='Monroeski']Any opinions on whether Fallout 3 GotY is worth it at that price if I already own the base game? In other words, is the DLC worth $20 by itself?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely, all of the DLC is good and Point Lookout/Brotherhood of Steel are amazing. This game set the bar for post-release DLC support so you really can't go wrong here.

[quote name='vlv723']I love the SimCities games but considering it is over 6 years old, I was hoping EA would priced it at $4.99

Have you looked at Cities XL?

I already spent $25 yesterday and I'm already took 25% out of my budget. I think my $100 budget will exceed before Christmas :lol:[/QUOTE]

Nope, I haven't. Do you own it? SimCity 4 has had good reviews as I recall, but Cities XL has a 69 Metascore ....

[quote name='Wargamer']Nope, I haven't. Do you own it? SimCity 4 has had good reviews as I recall, but Cities XL has a 69 Metascore ....[/QUOTE]

Sim City 4 is really old. Id wait and see if you get lucky with a daily deal. $10 seems like an awful lot for that. That being said, I doubt they are making a new one any time soon.

[quote name='sotc1988']I'm sort of wondering how good Titan Quest is .[/QUOTE]

There is a demo on steam... It's definately worth the 5 bucks, and you're probably getting a lot of game for the money, I'm going to pass though, the interface is a little basic (for the scrolling text and loot drops) and as an archer, it doesnt seem like you can change targets fast enough (you'll ocassionally fire at your previous target, etc)

Graphically, the game is fantastic for a 4 year old game. And if you'd rather hold out for a 5 dollar torchlight, i'd say get titan quest instead.

For those of you looking at packs, there is a thread over at the Steam Forums showing that some of the games in the pack (when you buy all of them) are cheaper when bought individually rather than via the pack.

Just something to check on to save a bit of money (cents sometimes, dollars for others.)

Steam Pack pricing

[quote name='psunami']For those of you looking at packs, there is a thread over at the Steam Forums showing that some of the games in the pack (when you buy all of them) are cheaper when bought individually rather than via the pack.

Just something to check on to save a bit of money (cents sometimes, dollars for others.)

Steam Pack pricing[/QUOTE]

Its true that some packs that aren't on sale are more than the items individually but I dont know where this guy is getting his prices as most of the comparisons I see are way off. Just from the top of the list PoP and Bethesda Bundles. Maybe its a regional thing?

Most of the price differences are splitting hairs. A few cents, etc.

Just to make sure I'm correctly understanding it, any games that aren't in the "Daily Deals" are at the sale prices until the end of the sale. Is that correct?

[quote name='pROvIs']Its true that some packs that aren't on sale are more than the items individually but I dont know where this guy is getting his prices as most of the comparisons I see are way off. Just from the top of the list PoP and Bethesda Bundles. Maybe its a regional thing?

Most of the price differences are splitting hairs. A few cents, etc.[/QUOTE]

I think there are a few different priced deals for out of the US.

We'll have to get some Aussie or UK steam users to confirm though.

[quote name='shrike4242']Just to make sure I'm correctly understanding it, any games that aren't in the "Daily Deals" are at the sale prices until the end of the sale. Is that correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes unless the publisher pulls the game from the sale or there is a price mistake. For example the Valve pack that went up $25 dollars, most likely due to a pricing mistake.

[quote name='shrike4242']Just to make sure I'm correctly understanding it, any games that aren't in the "Daily Deals" are at the sale prices until the end of the sale. Is that correct?[/QUOTE]Should be, yes.

I'd wait on SimCity 4. I'm smelling a daily deal of $5 sometime during the sale. If not, just nab it at $10 on the last day.

[quote name='momouchi']Yes unless the publisher pulls the game from the sale or there is a price mistake. For example the Valve pack that went up $25 dollars, most likely due to a pricing mistake.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='daroga']Should be, yes.

I'd wait on SimCity 4. I'm smelling a daily deal of $5 sometime during the sale. If not, just nab it at $10 on the last day.[/QUOTE]
Thanks to both of you for that. I'm trying to gauge my purchases appropriately and didn't want to have to make lots of purchases on day 1 if the individual games that are discounted (PB Winterbottom) are going to be that price through the entire sale period. I'll just pick up what I wanted to today and continue on.

EDIT:
Just picked up:
The Oddbox
FEAR complete pack
Deus Ex complete pack

Grabbed the F.E.A.R. Collection. Been wanting to grab the 2nd one for awhile now, and didn't mind repurchasing the 1st one for convenience's sake. Tempted by SMB but I'm sure it'll be cheaper at some point.

[quote name='Ardrid']Tempted by SMB but I'm sure it'll be cheaper at some point.[/QUOTE]

$3.75 though was with SMB as a daily deal. I'm guessing you're not going to see it get any cheaper for the rest of the sale, and who knows the next time a game like that with retail price of $15 would go that low. If you have steam access at the moment, I'd say grab it now if you want it in the least.

[quote name='pROvIs']Sim City 4 is really old. Id wait and see if you get lucky with a daily deal. $10 seems like an awful lot for that. That being said, I doubt they are making a new one any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I guess waiting it is.

[quote name='Ardrid']Tempted by SMB but I'm sure it'll be cheaper at some point.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.... right.... I mean... I guess it will be 75 cents cheaper during the Christmas sale next year....

im not trying to set any one up for failure, but its worth mentioning. last year, the last day was just the best sales reposted. like stalker:soc was a dollar one day, and on the last day it was a dollar again.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Anyone else having issues with Fear 1? It runs fine for awhile, then all of a sudden drops to 10 fps.

Edit: Found my problem: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279444[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. I've got a g15 keyboard, so I'll probably run into some problems.

After spending $10 in the morning yesterday, I went home, and spent $10 more. I really hope I don't end up spending $20/day with this sale.

I bought Bad Company 2, even though I own it for PS3. Does anyone know if my stats will transfer over? I know I had to sign into the game on PS3 with an EA account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back