Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='1Swat2KillThemAll']The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom ;)[/QUOTE]

Got it a long time ago. Anything else that was under $1 I also instana bought.

[quote name='MSI Magus']
Right now on my list of games to buy as the sale goes on are Tiki Tori, Railroad Tycoon and Geomatry wars but not much else, hoping to find some of those amazing under the radar games I did not know I wanted but end up loving to death.[/QUOTE]

Toki Tori is a great puzzle game. It's also packaged in an indie pack with Delve Deeper and Crayon Physics and two other titles for $5 (of course you have to suffer the indignity of having a magical unicorn game in your games list!). The current indie daily 'Clones' is also nice for $2.50 if you like Lemmings types of games. Really high production value and it also has multiplayer.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Asked before but want to ask again(and probably again later!), does anyone have any recommendations for lesser known titles? My fav part of last years Steam sale was not games like Borderlands that I already knew I wanted to buy, but the games like Nation Red and Evil Genius which had flown under my radar up till the sale.

Right now on my list of games to buy as the sale goes on are Tiki Tori, Railroad Tycoon and Geomatry wars but not much else, hoping to find some of those amazing under the radar games I did not know I wanted but end up loving to death.[/QUOTE]

Well, if I didn't already own The Path and I hadn't already played on the PS3 and figured out how dumb Burn Zombie Burn is, the Fright Pack would be a good buy. As it is, I think I would only be somewhat interested in Zombie Driver and that's been cheaper than $5 before.

Although it's not very manly, I'll probably end up grabbing the Fantasy pack before the sale ends because Nyxquest and Spectromancer look good (I suppose I could go play a football game on the PS3 to offset the fact that I'll have something called Faerie Solitaire in my Steam library. ;))

[quote name='MSI Magus']Because your a CAG same as me and many others. At $5 id have bought it today as well but at $7.50 its a no go. Same with RE5 yesterday which if it would have been $7.50 id have bought. Thing is with the big name releases I always feel better having them on a console both because I feel more like I own it and because the online communities and trophy/achievement systems mean more.[/QUOTE]

RE5 for PC is GFWL, so it has real Xbox Live Achievements. The only downside is it won't get the DLC that the 360 and PS3 versions have.

Somebody please stop me- I'm thinking about purchasing the Paradox pack. My backlog is already ridiculous and I can't imagine how many hours all of these games would add to the list.

I'm beginning to think the only reason I'm even considering the pack is its the only pack where I don't already own most of the games. The only game I have from that pack is Lead & Gold. Anybody have have any thoughts on the games and if they are worth the $75?

I have already done most of the indy packs for those suggesting them. I did them day 1 figuring they aint getting much cheaper(Watch steam now role them into one massive "Indy God pack" or something like that for $13).

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']Is Recettear turn based like Final Fantasy or real time like Zelda?[/QUOTE]

The combat is real time.

[quote name='nny']Is there an indie deal everyday separate from the other daily deals? What was it the past 2 days?[/QUOTE]

First day was Sol Survivor, second was Iron Grip. Not sure on the prices.

I don't think there's anything for me today. When I first logged on I swear the little news window that pops up said Tales of Monkey Island was 75% and I was totally willing to buy it for that price, but then I saw it was only 50% off and I was like, "That's too much."

Here's hoping Mass Effect 1/2 get bundled and sold for $15-20. Already own both on Xbox, but I wouldn't mind buying them again.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Again, can anybody recommend Bully or should I pass?[/QUOTE]
I've heard mixed things, but it's only $3.75. I'd get it.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Also does AC2 on Steam use Ubisoft's DRM? I might pay the higher steam price if it doesn't have that "Have to constantly be online" DRM.[/QUOTE]

It says on the game description page that it does use Ubisoft's DRM.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Again, can anybody recommend Bully or should I pass?[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the PC version but I loved it on 360. I usually don't care so much for RockStar games and never usually finish the GTA games. With Bully I not only finished it but got 100%.

I just picked up the PC copy because it is so cheap and I'm sure I'll want to play through it again at some point.

[quote name='Lost Loser']First day was Sol Survivor, second was Iron Grip. Not sure on the prices.[/QUOTE]

Sol Survivor was $5 and Iron Grip was $2.50.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Nice! Thanks!

I wish the actual "backup" utility worked though...you'd think they would have fixed it by now :(

I guess I'll print this out and start trying to back up Steam stuff with your method instead.[/QUOTE]

Note: In the steamapps folder there are also GCF files that need to be copied for some games.

[quote name='FFBlitzace']

I'm hoping for a daily deal on Puzzle Quest 2 at some point.[/QUOTE]

Me as well, especially after picking up the first one for $1.50 and playing it way too long last night during a fit of insomnia.

[quote name='Lost Loser']First day was Sol Survivor, second was Iron Grip. Not sure on the prices."[/QUOTE]

Sol Survivor was $4.99 and Iron Grip was $2.50 - Both had 4-packs for even cheaper.

Just a little heads up to anyone thinking of getting Lead and Gold while its on sale, next month Playstation Plus members are going to get it for free. I know this will not effect most of you, but I know I have seen at least a few people post here and in the Playstation + topic so I wanted to give warning for those who are + members.

Any thoughts on the Sherlock Holmes collection? I can't help but laugh at some of you guys who won't buy a game you are interested in because it's a dollar or two more than you want to pay. :D

[quote name='Killbomb']Any thoughts on the Sherlock Holmes collection? I can't help but laugh at some of you guys who won't buy a game you are interested in because it's a dollar or two more than you want to pay. :D[/QUOTE]

Umm. What is this site called? Remind me again.

Aussies get screwed again. Bully isn't available here and the base Spore game is $10 instead of the $7.50 it's going for in the US store.

Can anyone help me out and buy one or both of these for me? Please PM me and let me know where to send the money.

Luke

[quote name='MSI Magus']Just a little heads up to anyone thinking of getting Lead and Gold while its on sale, next month Playstation Plus members are going to get it for free. I know this will not effect most of you, but I know I have seen at least a few people post here and in the Playstation + topic so I wanted to give warning for those who are + members.[/QUOTE]

Also, the PC version is practically dead. Nobody plays.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Asked before but want to ask again(and probably again later!), does anyone have any recommendations for lesser known titles? My fav part of last years Steam sale was not games like Borderlands that I already knew I wanted to buy, but the games like Nation Red and Evil Genius which had flown under my radar up till the sale.

It really all depends how long you have been a PC gamer and what type of games you enjoy.

I would recommend Painkiller Black Edition for 4.99, it's a very intense FPS with epic boss battles.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3200/

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Umm. What is this site called? Remind me again.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is a difference between looking for cheap deals and being cheap. We are all CAGs, but some of us take it to different levels than others.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Umm. What is this site called? Remind me again.[/QUOTE]

If a dollar makes a difference then maybe it should be called Broke Ass Gamer instead. :D

some lesser known titles I've enjoyed:

winterbottom
machinarium
bob came in pieces
nimbus
delve deeper
amnesia
the ball
elven legacy
eufloria
osmos
nyxquest
max/crayon physics
vvvvv

[quote name='evildeadjedi']It really all depends how long you have been a PC gamer and what type of games you enjoy.

I would recommend Painkiller Black Edition for 4.99, it's a very intense FPS with epic boss battles.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/3200/[/QUOTE]

I may grab it. I have always wanted to play that game but every year I wait for it to go even cheaper for some reason.

I noticed on the Steam update window for today's sales, Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack was listed at 75% off, but it's only 50% off right now. I would make sense since Telltale games are 50% already, so at 50%, it wouldn't really be a daily deal.

[quote name='cmackchase']Is Plants vs Zombies GOTY worth $7?[/QUOTE]

I'd hold out til the end of the sale. :)

Its definitely worth it, but unless its already been a daily deal it can only (potentially) get cheaper.

I paid $10 for PvZ way back when it came out. I've put something like 102 hours into it. I'd say its worth $7. However go try the free trial on the website. If you like that, you'll like the game. There are lots of mini games too, you can replay the game with all the plants you've collected, and achievements and a garden.

PvZ is worth $20 in my book easily. If you haven't played it, its worth $7 definitely. I just wish they would bring the xbox features to PC

Anybody got any experience with Trials 2 on Steam? Worth it? Honestly, it's the only game I'm interested in (I already own JC2, AvP, CoD: MW).

I still can't believe the "daily deal" price on CoD: MW. Haha, that's crazy. Crazy Kotick strikes again.

[quote name='nny']Is there an indie deal everyday separate from the other daily deals? What was it the past 2 days?[/QUOTE]

Yes there has been a daily indie deal that you have to separately click over to (i.e. not highlighted in the main daily deals summary). Sorry, I can't remember what they were... I didn't get either.

Point being, everyone should check the indie daily deals as well as there can be some good stuff that pops up. I went ahead and got Clone today.

Again, friendly CAG reminder on steam sales:
If it is not a daily sale, wait until the last day to buy! You can and will get burned on a daily price!

That being said, I already paid $30 for JC2 when it first came out. That was totally worth it, so for $7.50? Steal. So is the DLC, at least the bigger packs.

Already own AC2 for PS3, would never buy it on PC. Got Recettear in the $5 indie story pack a bit back. So worth it! :bouncy:

[quote name='Killbomb']If a dollar makes a difference then maybe it should be called Broke Ass Gamer instead. :D[/QUOTE]

Waiting for a perfect price point is only natural if you're a frequent CAGer. Mostly because your game backlog is so ridiculous that its pointless to overpay for a game you might not get to until next year's sale.

Case in point, I've got about 6 Wii, 8 360, 10 PS3 and 45 PC games yet to play. I don't need to spend any extra dollars to add games to that pile. Pretty much, I'm only getting more when I find a price that is unlikely to be beaten, only matched at best.

[quote name='Etae']Clones is the indie daily deal btw.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rhettdb2005']
Point being, everyone should check the indie daily deals as well as there can be some good stuff that pops up. I went ahead and got Clone today.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Don't forget the Daily Indie deals, people! Clones looks like a decent Lemmings game with achievements so I snapped it up.

[quote name='vherub']some lesser known titles I've enjoyed:

winterbottom
machinarium
bob came in pieces
nimbus
delve deeper
amnesia
the ball
elven legacy
eufloria
osmos
nyxquest
max/crayon physics
vvvvv[/QUOTE]

I hope they have amnesia and the ball on sell. Those look cool to me

[quote name='TheKbob']Again, friendly CAG reminder on steam sales:
If it is not a daily sale, wait until the last day to buy! You can and will get burned on a daily price!

That being said, I already paid $30 for JC2 when it first came out. That was totally worth it, so for $7.50? Steal. So is the DLC, at least the bigger packs.

Already own AC2 for PS3, would never buy it on PC. Got Recettear in the $5 indie story pack a bit back. So worth it! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I was awfully tempted by the indie story pack.

anyone know if the Just Cause 2 DLC is worth buying? I bought the game during the thanksgiving sale and haven't played yet but considering getting DLC now.

[quote name='hellhunde']Waiting for a perfect price point is only natural if you're a frequent CAGer. Mostly because your game backlog is so ridiculous that its pointless to overpay for a game you might not get to until next year's sale.

Case in point, I've got about 6 Wii, 8 360, 10 PS3 and 45 PC games yet to play. I don't need to spend any extra dollars to add games to that pile. Pretty much, I'm only getting more when I find a price that is unlikely to be beaten, only matched at best.[/QUOTE]

Good point but to me if a game I am interested in but did not want to pay full price for goes below $10, I will jump on it. If I buy a game for $8.99 then it drops to $4.99 later on, I wouldn't be that upset. Then again, my backlog is not quite as big as yours either. :D

IMO it's worth $7, but don't pull the trigger yet like others have said. I've seen it for as low as $5, and there's a very good chance it will be a daily deal and will be less than the current discount.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I may grab it. I have always wanted to play that game but every year I wait for it to go even cheaper for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about waiting but, I don't believe Painkiller Black has ever been cheaper than 4.99 on Steam. It seems like one of those older titles like Vampires The Masquerade: Bloodlines that rarely goes on sale and if it does, it is always at the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back