Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Entitled or not, there have been great deals, every day. Even today, we've got games that are just a few months old, catering to all kinds of audiences, on massive discounts, cheaper than you can find anywhere else. Not to mention hundreds of great deals that are available for the duration of the sale. What more do people want?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what people expect, either. I thought the sales have been fantastic... now, whether it's been the games I want or not is another question all together. ;)

The crybabies whining about how supposedly lousy this year's Steam sale is compared to previous years must have been having their nap when the D2D sale was faceplanting this year compared to the awesome D2D is Five sale in 2009.

Today's list is a snore, but $20 FO3 GOTY, $7.50 Bioshock 2, and $3.60 Lara Croft weren't too bad.

[quote name='airwalke']I realize this... not looking to get ME1 transferred to steam for free... I just didn't know if having both installed means that the Steam version of ME2 would be able to read the non-Steam version and allow me to use the same character.[/QUOTE]

Oh! Sorry. That is a good question. I think if you put your save data in the right place it should work, but I got ME 1 from Steam, so I can't test it.

I'm interested in Risen. But I will hold off for $10. Would love to get Divine Divinity Ego Draconis though, as Shipwreck gave the 360 version a thumbs up even if its was a bit glitchy

[quote name='airwalke']I realize this... not looking to get ME1 transferred to steam for free... I just didn't know if having both installed means that the Steam version of ME2 would be able to read the non-Steam version and allow me to use the same character.[/QUOTE]

It should work if you just toss it over Steam's savegame folder, in theory, the savegames aren't supposed to be incompatible.

If for some reason it does not work, head over to http://www.masseffectsaves.com/ and download a savegame similar to yours and start on ME2 :D

[quote name='HeSaveDave']LOL It still surprises me when people are surprised that there are some really CHEAP ASS GAMERS on this website. :bouncy:

But you go girl! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

LOL It still surprises me when people are surprised at the mere mention of common decency and then make assumptions about other people's assumed surprise displaying an unsurprising amount of ignorance and lack of common sense. :bouncy:

But you go tool! :bomb:

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Wings of Prey looks kinda cool. Very pretty. Buy it?[/QUOTE]

Beware: DRM is TAGES - 3 Machine Activation Limit.

This should be posted on the first page imo.

WARNING!!!!!! WINGS OF PREY Comes with Draconian DRM restriction.(Star force I believe) It only allow 3 machine activation and even just uninstalling the game counts as one. It is also pain to get activation back as well.

I almost bought it then I went to its forum. Apparently, the developer of the game publicly claimed that they don't really care for steam customers since they only account for only small portion of their sale. After I saw that, I immediately deleted the game from my carts. I bought prince of persia from Ubisoft so I am not agianst DRM but THis one look really bad from uncaring Russian developer.

BE AWARE !!!! OH and RISEN also have similar DRM I think.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']This sale has been incredible. People bitching are silly. No, not every single game you've ever wanted will be $2.50 or whatever.

Prepare to have your excitement crushed when you play it, because it is the worst port ever.

And unlike Super Meat Boy, it's actually a port.[/QUOTE]
As far as bad PC ports go, I think Bully's gotta be up there.

*still does not understand why people can not have a difference of opinion*

I will not be posting my thoughts on CAG ever again because there are too many people acting like anyone dissapointed in anything is some kind of asshole or something. It makes me not even want to post. Both sides are yelling at the other that CAG has changed because the other....truth is this site is like every other on the internet or any club or other place you would go IRL...full of jerks who all think everyone else is a jerk as well.....none of whom on either side ever try and learn what the other feels or thinks.

I have said my peace and unless I have a question about the worth specific game or issue and google/other net sources cant help me, I do not think I will be posting or even checking the site anymore, I might have better luck posting at gamefaqs these days with the way BOTH sides bicker and name sling here.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Is there a place to see every game on sale? If you click specials it just shows 100 and on the list of advertisements you can not see them all either. I clicked every game I saw they had listed, but I keep randomly seeing people mention stuff like Loki or Pirates that I had no clue was on sale. I just want to make sure I dont miss anything![/QUOTE]

I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Price&sort_order=ASC&specials=1

There are currently 1,275 items on sale right now.

[quote name='MSI Magus']*still does not understand why people can not have a difference of opinion*

I will not be posting my thoughts on CAG ever again because there are too many people acting like anyone dissapointed in anything is some kind of asshole or something. It makes me not even want to post. Both sides are yelling at the other that CAG has changed because the other....truth is this site is like every other on the internet or any club or other place you would go IRL...full of jerks who all think everyone else is a jerk as well.....none of whom on either side ever try and learn what the other feels or thinks.

I have said my peace and unless I have a question about the worth specific game or issue and google/other net sources cant help me, I do not think I will be posting or even checking the site anymore, I might have better luck posting at gamefaqs these days with the way BOTH sides bicker and name sling here.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that, haven't been around in about a year or buying games really, but I remember from last year you were one of the guys in the PC section always willing to lend a hand, answer a question, and engage in good discussion.

[quote name='dabamus']http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=968

Read the second post in the above thread. That's the CEO of the development studio that came up with Wings of Prey.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108642

Read the above thread for more info on the DRM in Wings of Prey and Steam.

Based upon the post in the first thread by their CEO, I wouldn't want to buy any game they make.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I was going to get it but screw it if it only has a 3 machine activation limit and the CEO seems like a dick. I will pass...

[quote name='TraBuch']As far as bad PC ports go, I think Bully's gotta be up there.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the patch for Bully massively improved the performance, for me. In patched form, I think the PC version is fine.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Actually, the patch for Bully massively improved the performance, for me. In patched form, I think the PC version is fine.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree there; Whatever problems Bully had pre-Patch, they're gone now. I personally played through the game without the slightest issue.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I have to agree there; Whatever problems Bully had pre-Patch, they're gone now. I personally played through the game without the slightest issue.[/QUOTE]

Thirded!

I had to wait over a YEAR before I could play Bully (I have vista 64) but when the patch was FINALLY released, the game worked as smoothly as a baby's bottom.

Another meh day for me, which is fine. I haven't even played through Mass Effect 1, which I got for $10 last year, so $10 for ME2 isn't that much of an attraction. The only other thing that is attractive right now is Deathspank and I might still pass.

I think part of it is that I already have plenty of games, so unless something is an outrageous deal or something that I absolutely need to play now, I'm likely to pass on it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Actually, the patch for Bully massively improved the performance, for me. In patched form, I think the PC version is fine.[/QUOTE]
Does that come with steam download or do you have to go download it somewhere externally?

Does anyone have any comments to offer about the Digital Deluxe version of ME2 vs just the normal version? Is any of the extra content really good? I am a sucker for physical deluxe editions but since this is digital I am on the fence.

[quote name='apbeatty']Does anyone have any comments to offer about the Digital Deluxe version of ME2 vs just the normal version? Is any of the extra content really good? I am a sucker for physical deluxe editions but since this is digital I am on the fence.[/QUOTE]

From everything I have read from various places. It is not worth it, instead use the $10 you save from it and use it to buy the DLC called Lair of the Shadow Broker to play after you beat the game.

Mass Effect 2: Digital Deluxe Edition
Collector Armor and Assault Rifle - Two bonus in-game items: advanced regeneration armor and a powerful enemy-shredding assault rifle.
Incisor Rifle - Bonus in-game weapon. Firing three shots with each pull of the trigger, the Incisor Rifle is designed to decimate shields.
Original Soundtrack - The Mass Effect 2 original soundtrack features 12 pieces spanning the entire Mass Effect 2 experience.
Digital Art Book* - The art book contains 48 pages of stunning full color artwork including captions from the Mass Effect 2 team.
Digital Mass Effect Redemption #1 comic* - Redemption follows Liara T’Soni’s dangerous mission to find Commander Shepard.
Documentary Video* - Featuring behind-the-scenes and making-of videos, the Mass Effect 2 documentary takes a look at how the game was made.

so you would be paying 10$ for 3 items. The rest of the stuff doesnt add anything to gameplay. looks like a waste of money to me.

I am pissed I did not pick up that Recetear: Item Shop Tale game yesterday. I did not have time to play the demo yesterday but today I played it while I was getting tires put on my car and at first I was like WTF??, but then I was like :D.

Going to get it for sure before the end of the sale even at $10.

I hate anime so I thought I was going to hate it but it was really fun and the cute little phrases sold me. Capitalism, ho!

[quote name='apbeatty']Does anyone have any comments to offer about the Digital Deluxe version of ME2 vs just the normal version? Is any of the extra content really good? I am a sucker for physical deluxe editions but since this is digital I am on the fence.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking at it from a purely gameplay point of view (don't care about the included soundtrack or anything) then definitely not worth it. The Collector Armor and Collector Assault Rifle are the only exclusive items, so you're effectively paying $10 for them. The Incisor is included with the Aegis pack (iirc), which has that and other items for $2 anyway.

From a not so gameplay point of view. . . well, the soundtrack comes with it, but it's not even the full OST. It's half the tracks or so. =\

No one has asked... how's Darksiders?
I mean... is it a good port? or is it even a port?

I heard there's no option to change the graphic settings/details and that there's no anti-aliasing. Is this true?

I was thinking the same thing until I realized you dont get much more at all compared to standard. Here are the links to the Documentary video that is included with the Digital Deluxe Version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exilAoet3ss

So you would be basically buying it for 3 digital items you are going to replace it with anyways.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Is there a place to see every game on sale? If you click specials it just shows 100 and on the list of advertisements you can not see them all either. I clicked every game I saw they had listed, but I keep randomly seeing people mention stuff like Loki or Pirates that I had no clue was on sale. I just want to make sure I dont miss anything![/QUOTE]

Perhaps you want this page: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1? I have no idea how to find it other than google.

People seem to forget there's an edit button. No need to double post.

[quote name='apbeatty']Does anyone have any comments to offer about the Digital Deluxe version of ME2 vs just the normal version?[/QUOTE]
It looks like it doesn't have any DLC, which to me makes it not worth it at all. The Incisor and Collector armor are great from what I hear, but overall the extra content is meh unless you're the kind of collector that likes artbooks and such.
I'd buy the regular version and use the saved money towards DLC (I'd recommend Shadow Broker, then Overlord).

[quote name='Pollox']Perhaps you want this page: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1? I have no idea how to find it other than google.[/QUOTE]
Usually there's a little box on the right side with a couple deals and a link to the rest. Since this is a massive sale it's not there, but I think that would be the page it links to. Now that I have that direct link, though, I'm hoping I won't end up unintentionally spending more after sorting by price. :p
(EDIT: ok that was a terrible idea. No, I don't want Just Cause 2 or Magic expansions!)

[quote name='timobkg']ME 1 and 2 are a steal for $10. Two of the best RPGs I've played. ME1 has the better story and more RPG elements, while ME2 has the better gameplay. Yes, Gamersgate has them for $8 each, but you and I both know we'd rather keep everything on Steam.

Did anyone really expect ME2 at $5? The Witcher was $5, and that's a 3 year old game from an unknown company. ME2 came out this year, from Bioware. I pre-ordered it for $35 and it was worth every penny.

I'm still on the fence about Alpha Protocol. I like story-based, dialog-driven RPGs. But the backlog is there, looming over me. I guess the upside to buying it now is that it can't drop all that much lower. I feel bad to whoever bought it at full retail 6 months ago.[/QUOTE]

The nice part is that the game flows pretty well. And don't feel bad for me, I still enjoyed what I paid for it (with GS credit, of course :p )

[quote name='sotc1988']I agree, it bums me out when people say how horrible or mediocre the sale is. We have to remember that we are not entitled to ANY of this.[/QUOTE]

You have it backwards: Valve is not "entitled" to my money, especially when the sale price is underwhelming. Maybe you're content to grovel for breadcrumbs at the foot of Valve's table, but I'm not. This is a purely business transaction: Steam offers an item for sale, we decide whether it's worth that price. Obviously for many people it's not a good price, hence disappointment with this sale. And when you compare it to other Steam deals, it looks even worse.

My money stays in my wallet until the deals get better. And since this is a forum for CHEAP ass gamers, I'm not about to "keep quiet" or change my mind just because someone on the Internet told me to. Sorry if that offends you so deeply. But honestly, if you don't work for Valve, what the hell does it matter to you? Is your self-esteem based on how many people validate your purchase decision?

http://www.steamgamesales.com/

[quote name='fester']You have it backwards: Valve is not "entitled" to my money, especially when the sale price is underwhelming. Maybe you're content to grovel for breadcrumbs at the foot of Valve's table, but I'm not. This is a purely business transaction: Steam offers an item for sale, we decide whether it's worth that price. Obviously for many people it's not a good price, hence disappointment with this sale. And when you compare it to other Steam deals, it looks even worse.

My money stays in my wallet until the deals get better. And since this is a forum for CHEAP ass gamers, I'm not about to "keep quiet" or change my mind just because someone on the Internet told me to. Sorry if that offends you so deeply. But honestly, if you don't work for Valve, what the hell does it matter to you? Is your self-esteem based on how many people validate your purchase decision?[/QUOTE]

Co-sign. :applause:

[quote name='MSI Magus']*still does not understand why people can not have a difference of opinion*

I will not be posting my thoughts on CAG ever again because there are too many people acting like anyone dissapointed in anything is some kind of asshole or something.[/QUOTE]

This is too hilarious coming from you, considering you personally attacked me as being stupid when I said most Indie games go to my trash heap... a factual statement. Maybe the issue is you and not everyone else. Food for thought.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']I am pissed I did not pick up that Recetear: Item Shop Tale game yesterday. I did not have time to play the demo yesterday but today I played it while I was getting tires put on my car and at first I was like WTF??, but then I was like :D. [/QUOTE]

Recettear surprised me with its charm, as well. When I bought the indie pack at Thanksgiving that included the game, it was such a treat to find such a gem! It was a steal as part of a $5 indie pack, and yesterday's price was certainly fair. Hope it goes on sale again for you!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Recettear surprised me with its charm, as well. When I bought the indie pack at Thanksgiving that included the game, it was such a treat to find such a gem! It was a steal as part of a $5 indie pack, and yesterday's price was certainly fair. Hope it goes on sale again for you![/QUOTE]

Recettear surprised me also. I bought the Indie Story Pack during Thanksgiving mainly because I wanted Jolly Rover. Finally played Recttear today and wow, its awesome. More then worth what people paid during Thanksgiving and if I didn't have it when it was on a daily deal yesterday... knowing what I know now I would bought it!

I don't remember all the deals from last year, but this Christmas sale still seems pretty good compared to last year considering this year the sales started 2 weeks earlier

I concur. Without the patch, it is unplayable, with the patch it is excellent.

I just checked my account and noticed that I bought Mass Effect for only $4.99 last year on Jan 1. I wonder if they will sell ME2 even cheaper come New Years.

Do I take that risk? My gut is telling me, no...

[quote name='KaOTiK']Was on sale in April of this year. Steam had a Rockstar week. It was $7.49[/QUOTE]

What? I missed that!? =( Guess I'll just keep waiting, not like I don't have other games to play :)

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I just checked my account and noticed that I bought Mass Effect for only $4.99 last year on Jan 1. I wonder if they will sell ME2 even cheaper come New Years.

Do I take that risk? My gut is telling me, no...[/QUOTE]
Personally, I've never seen Steam discount a game at one price [during a single promotion] and then discount it again at an even lower price [during a single promotion].

So, Mass Effect 2 will not get cheaper during this sale.

[quote name='fester']You have it backwards: Valve is not "entitled" to my money, especially when the sale price is underwhelming. Maybe you're content to grovel for breadcrumbs at the foot of Valve's table, but I'm not. This is a purely business transaction: Steam offers an item for sale, we decide whether it's worth that price. Obviously for many people it's not a good price, hence disappointment with this sale. And when you compare it to other Steam deals, it looks even worse.

My money stays in my wallet until the deals get better. And since this is a forum for CHEAP ass gamers, I'm not about to "keep quiet" or change my mind just because someone on the Internet told me to. Sorry if that offends you so deeply. But honestly, if you don't work for Valve, what the hell does it matter to you? Is your self-esteem based on how many people validate your purchase decision?[/QUOTE]
With no due respect, shut it

Steam is one of the best money making companies right now and they don't need to do these sales but they do anyway and they do them in a fashion that makes them fun as well by linking them to other give aways and contests.

Now they don't have to do any of this, they can be the run of the mill company that dishes out sales and that's it but they go the extra mile.

You want to think that you're somehow "above" all of that then super but just realize that it's only working in your mind alone.

[quote name='Covnam']What? I missed that!? =( Guess I'll just keep waiting, not like I don't have other games to play :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah that was a ridiculously good deal. GTA 1-3, Vice City, and San Andreas - all 5 for $7.49. Even though GTA1 is essentially free on Rockstar's website - San Andreas a lone is worth the $7.49 easy.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']I just checked my account and noticed that I bought Mass Effect for only $4.99 last year on Jan 1. I wonder if they will sell ME2 even cheaper come New Years.

Do I take that risk? My gut is telling me, no...[/QUOTE]
Sweet. Sounds like the remaining daily deals in Jan are unpredictable $5 surprises.

Underrated Game pack I found for a measly $13.39

The Stronghold Collection:

• Stronghold: The original castle sim that started it all
  • Stronghold 2: The King, having fled after the defeat of his own armies, now attempts to rule his country from a secret location. Powerful barons now jostle for what is fast becoming a disintegrating kingdom – it is up to you to stem the tides of their ambition and unite the land under the king again!
  • Stronghold Crusader: Journey to distant Arabian lands renowned for brave warriors and fearsome weaponry as you lead a determined group of Crusaders. Now you have the chance to relive the historic Crusades in four campaigns as Richard the Lionheart and Saladin, the Sultan of Syria.
  • Stronghold Crusader Extreme: Extreme adds on 20 new missions, new buildings, and larger armies of 10,000 troops.
  • Stronghold Legends: Lead as fantasy characters throughout history: King Arthur and the forces of Camelot, Siegfried and Dietrich in the German Ice Campaign, and unleash the fury of the forces of evil in Vlad Dracul’s Transylvania.
If this goes on sale. 30-50% off...total no brainer steal. I've played the hell out of all of these except Legends and they are fantastic castle sim games with enduring story campaigns, skirmish trails, etc. Stronghold 2 got lower ratings when it first came out because of bugs, but most of them have all pretty much been cleaned up with some large patches. Runs great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back