Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rcx4']I'm extremely tempted to buy ME2, and also Deathspank..
(I've only bought the Witcher and Puzzle Quest from Steam's Holiday Sale.. so I think I'm doing well :p )[/QUOTE]
Same here, but I've already got The Witcher, Recettear , New Vegas (got the retail for $25), Lara Croft, and 10 other games to play ATM. The Humble Bundle #2 Deal was a major steal for donating a few bucks.

I hear both ME:1 and ME:2 are fantastic epic games well worth over $10 each, but I'll sleep on it before the final decision. Getting equally enjoyable games for $5 is still possible in this sale at the rate things have been going.
One thing is for sure though, I'll only buy one of the ME games...and most likely the ME:2 - even though I haven't played either. I can go back and replay ME:1 when it's $5 again someday.

Luckily I'm sharing all my games with family and friends, so they are getting some good play on this computer.

How's The Witcher going for ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in for Mass Effect 2 at $10.

That along with the Jedi Knight Collection was on my wishlist. If it's not a daily I'll get it for $10 the last day.

[quote name='dkl415']Ditto. Last year I bought $30 worth of games I played four of for a total of about an hour or two. This time around I got PQ and Winterbottom. I figure $2 is progress.[/QUOTE]

Heck yeah.. We still have over a week of steam sales though, so we're not out of the woods yet :p

[quote name='Wolfmight']Same here, but I've already got The Witcher, Recettear , New Vegas (got the retail for $25), Lara Croft, and 10 other games to play ATM. The Humble Bundle #2 Deal was a major steal for donating a few bucks.

I hear both ME:1 and ME:2 are fantastic epic games well worth over $10 each, but I'll sleep on it before the final decision. Getting equally enjoyable games for $5 is still possible in this sale at the rate things have been going.
One thing is for sure though, I'll only buy one of the ME games...and most likely the ME:2 - even though I haven't played either. I can go back and replay ME:1 when it's $5 again someday.

Luckily I'm sharing all my games with family and friends, so they are getting some good play on this computer.

How's The Witcher going for ya?[/QUOTE]

I agree.. I'm keeping an eye out for ME1 for $5 too..

As for the Witcher? Admittedly, I haven't installed/played it yet; I've been spending my time playing TF2 (trying to get that medic bow hehe)

[quote name='dkl415']Bigfishgames apparently has it for $3.50
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/44099/bigfishgames.com-plants-vs-zombies-pc-game
[/QUOTE]

It's a better idea to get the Steam version of Plants vs Zombies IMO. It has Steam Achievements, giving you more incentive to finish the extra modes, and Steam Cloud support, which is great if you have more than one computer.

So yeah, I think he should wait and see if it becomes a daily deal.

Quick question on ME2: Does your save file still carry over like in the console versions? That'll be a deciding factor on whether or not I finally jump on it.

So far I have gotten:
P.B. Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy
Indie Beat Pack

I wanted Just Cause 2 but my computer couldn't run it...
I guess I'll pick it up for PS3.

I'm hoping to get through the rest of the sale without spending too much.

[quote name='hpv']Because your console has a bigger monitor, is in front of the couch, and it's a heck of a lot more comfortable to play? Why would you want to play a game on your PC if you had the choice?[/QUOTE]

A 24" monitor at true 1080p/60fps/16xAF/4xAA a foot away from my face is preferable to a 42" TV across the room at upscaled 1080p/30fps/no filters. I like my games clean and responsive. I'll give you comfort, but since I'm at college, staying in my room to play something is a hell of a lot better than going out to the common room and bothering everybody else, and everybody else can bother me. Doubly so when I have a nice set of noise-canceling headphones.

Was going to have Wings of Prey join Railworks 2 on my "Sims I'll Give a Chance for 6 Bucks" list until I saw the "3 install then call" DRM. OFP2 will do for today.

someone got it nailed..
we are hardly a week in and most of our wallets are bleeding

guess it's a blessing in disguise that ME2 is USD25 on my acc...

[quote name='hpv']Because your console has a bigger monitor, is in front of the couch, and it's a heck of a lot more comfortable to play? Why would you want to play a game on your PC if you had the choice?[/QUOTE]

My console has a standard def tv that's not that much bigger than my high resolution monitor, and certainly looks smaller from couch distance. If I had an hdtv, I'd probably plug the pc into that and it would be a moot point. There are a number of other differences between pc and console versions of games. Some vary from person to person (like the tv) and some vary from game to game. I'm sure you can think of more examples. For the purposes of this thread, people just want to know if they should buy the steam version or some other version. There was a nice pc vs console comparison thread somewhere around here (I don't know where it went though).

Debating over selling my unopened 360 copy of darksiders to get the PC version. Anyone know if they added anything or if its much better?

Anyone know anything about X:3 The Reunion and the related games? I read online that its considered a very good and unique game, but at the same time complex.

Actually my 360 and PC are hooked up to the same monitor and are at the same desk.

[quote name='Mikerrrr']A 24" monitor at true 1080p/60fps/16xAF/4xAA a foot away from my face is preferable to a 42" TV across the room at upscaled 1080p/30fps/no filters. I like my games clean and responsive. I'll give you comfort, but since I'm at college, staying in my room to play something is a hell of a lot better than going out to the common room and bothering everybody else, and everybody else can bother me. Doubly so when I have a nice set of noise-canceling headphones.[/QUOTE]

Yay for being in college!

But in the end, I'm on a crappy laptop, that can barely run 3D games because of it's Intel Integrated graphics card, so my 360 is usually the better option for me for big games.

Finally bit the bullet and got ME1/2. Sure, maybe I could get ME for $5 six months from now. Maybe. I'm of the opinion that it's worth $20 for both games.

I was tempted by the deluxe version, but decided against it after reading the comments in this thread. A few guns I'll probably replace right away, a documentary I can already watch free, a comic book that as near as I can tell is only the first issue of a larger series anyways, an incomplete soundtrack, and an artbook I'll never look at is not worth $10 IMO.

[quote name='yuffiestrife']I hate it when people still use the comfy couch argument when most video cards hook right up to televisions and projectors.[/QUOTE]

As a new PC gamer here, I would love to sit on my comfy couch for extended playing, but when games require mouse and keyboard, the couch doesn't seem so comfy after all.

[quote name='Two Headed Boy']I support people playing games however they like to. Unfortunately it seems I'm in the minority in this respect.[/QUOTE]

This is so correct. People can have their own opinions on how they like to play. I have good reasons why I would like to play certain games on each...it is a give and take for me.

Hey eastx thanks for the reviews for the daily deals got defense grid thanks to you great game also picked up lara croft and darksiders I appreciate your reconmendations

[quote name='BitLooter']Finally bit the bullet and got ME1/2. Sure, maybe I could get ME for $5 six months from now. Maybe. I'm of the opinion that it's worth $20 for both games.

I was tempted by the deluxe version, but decided against it after reading the comments in this thread. A few guns I'll probably replace right away, a documentary I can already watch free, a comic book that as near as I can tell is only the first issue of a larger series anyways, an incomplete soundtrack, and an artbook I'll never look at is not worth $10 IMO.[/QUOTE]

I plan on doing the same thing. In fact I am going to buy them right now. I'm on break from school, and being able to play the games over break is well worth the 5 dollars I may have wasted on ME1. But, I guess that puts you and I in the minority of not REALLY being full blown CAGs.

[quote name='iso135']I plan on doing the same thing. In fact I am going to buy them right now. I'm on break from school, and being able to play the games over break is well worth the 5 dollars I may have wasted on ME1. But, I guess that puts you and I in the minority of not REALLY being full blown CAGs.[/QUOTE]

Eh, CAGs know the value of their money, and the smart ones realize that being able to enjoy playing the game you really want over vacation is worth a $5 premium.

Because I have the option to do everything and more a console could do with a game. Maybe I don't use all the options available to me, but with a console you don't get the choice.

My PC is hooked up to my TV and when I feel like it solo or want to play some local multiplayer I just plug in some 360 controllers/bust out a tv tray for kb/mouse and chill on the couch. "Comfortable" is personal preference, but it doesn't matter when you're a PC user, you get all the options a console has and more.

If somethings fucked with a game on a console, you have to wait for the devs to do something about it if they ever do. On a PC you have things like community patches. On a PC I can force AA and a myriad of other options. I can take advantage of any custom texture packs or any number of mods that become available for the game. I can remap the controls for a game as I see fit, even if the game itself doesn't allow it. I don't have to pay extra for playing online. I can run a variety of programs at the same time as my game to enhance the experience.

Even when a game is a "bad" port, that usually means its pretty close to how it was on a console. Its just that the glorious master race is used to so much better and STILL if your hardware is good enough, we can even power through a shitty port with brute force.

[quote name='Two Headed Boy']I support people playing games however they like to. Unfortunately it seems I'm in the minority in this respect.[/QUOTE]
And the platform that gives you the largest variety of options so you can play as you like is...

[quote name='cmackchase']Anyone know anything about X:3 The Reunion and the related games? I read online that its considered a very good and unique game, but at the same time complex.[/QUOTE]

Unique, good, and complex aren't mutually exclusive, and yes, the X series is all of those things. They're absolutely fantastic spacesim/4X games, very freeform, that let you do pretty much whatever you want. It's a very "PC" series, as in, the kind of game you only find on PC. I've been playing the series ever since the very first one, which I bought on a whim when I saw it's beautiful box art at a Gamestop nearly a decade ago.

There are demos on Egosoft's website, if you'd like to try the games out.

[quote name='contej85']Eh, CAGs know the value of their money, and the smart ones realize that being able to enjoy playing the game you really want over vacation is worth a $5 premium.[/QUOTE]

Eh... I doubt it. See how many people complain about a price drop a few weeks or even months after they bought it? I don't think they realize that they paid a little extra to play it earlier.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Quick question on ME2: Does your save file still carry over like in the console versions? That'll be a deciding factor on whether or not I finally jump on it.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The game launcher has a utility that scans your system for ME1 save files and imports them into the game.

Just from the demo, I know DeathSpank is awesome. If you like a kind of Diablo style of play with goofy humor and dialog choices similar to Monkey Island, I think you'll like it. If you're concerned about length, Wikipedia says 8-12 hours, so take that as you will.

[quote name='iso135']
1. I didn't realize the spy in NBC's Chuck voiced a main character, that is kind of cool if you like the show.[/QUOTE]
If you mean Joker, Seth Green isn't on Chuck, but I think I know who you're referring to. Although, saying "the spy" covers most of the cast. :p
(Adam Baldwin's a side character, if you were perusing through the credits, but I'd refer to him as "that guy from Firefly")

You're trying to describe a stereotypical environment. So you know everyone has a couch and a big(ger)-screen TV? There's more to decision making than screen size or subjective comfort. You'll always find people who prefer PC versions because they prefer better graphics (eg Mass Effect 1) or hate controllers/prefer a keyboard. Some might have everything hooked up to a TV or monitor, so there's only one screen.
[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Actually my 360 and PC are hooked up to the same monitor and are at the same desk.[/QUOTE]
Case in point, despite it being one environment among others in this case.

Anyway, this isn't the place for platform wars. No one cares, let people make their own decisions, for better or worse.

[quote name='eastx']It's a better idea to get the Steam version of Plants vs Zombies IMO. It has Steam Achievements, giving you more incentive to finish the extra modes, and Steam Cloud support, which is great if you have more than one computer.

So yeah, I think he should wait and see if it becomes a daily deal.[/QUOTE]

Do you think it's worth the wait over the D2D Sale? It can be had for $4 with D2D coupon along with a bunch of other good indie games. I'm not sure when the coupon ends but the D2D sale ends on Monday. I would perhaps see if Steam beats the price over the weekend and maybe jump on the D2D version on Monday if steam doesn't. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282417

Today's haul consists of: Mass Effect 2, Darksiders, and Alpha Protocol.

I might as well join the "fuck DRM" movement and didn't buy Wings of Prey and Risen

I want to get Blur but does the PC port have a good online community? I got 90 minutes left to decide if I want to spend the $15 on it.

[quote name='vlv723']Today's haul consists of: Mass Effect 2, Darksiders, and Alpha Protocol.

I might as well join the "fuck DRM" movement and didn't buy Wings of Prey and Risen

I want to get Blur but does the PC port have a good online community? I got 90 minutes left to decide if I want to spend the $15 on it.[/QUOTE]

I very much doubt that Blur has any kind of community. It's one of those games that Activision left to die while they drove Bizarre into the ground by making them develop the Bond game.

Well, gave it a lot of thought and went ahead and became the Mass Effect gamer. Got the ME1 and ME2 in the last hour of the 4th day sale.

I figure the most I could still lose is only $5-10 in the future - which is really not a lot compared to how much is already being ridiculously saved. Surprised that ME:2 even went under $20 seeing how it was only released at the beginning of this year. Got some RPG fans in the family and friends, so they will definitely enjoy these.

Great holiday party addition: Hook your rig up to a nice tv in the main den or living room area where most potential gamers will be at and keep the steam list open for the gamer guests.

Happy holidays everyone. Take the time to share your stuff AND take a break from the games later today to be with those that truly matter to you. :)

Meh, wanted to get ME1 and 2 but I'll wait. If it comes back in the end of the sale it'll be v hard to control but now I think I have enough games to wait a bit.

THe main thing that put me off was ME1 being $10 and not $5, i.e. not lowest price ever. Also the gap betwenn deluxe and regular ME2 is $10, meaning normally is $20? doesn't really make much sense which makes me feel a bit iffy about this pricing in specific. (And yeah, I want the Deluxe, just cuz I like the fact that it is deluxe, lol).

C'moon X-mas eve! Haven't bought anything since day 2!

Still debating selling darksiders for 360 and picking it up on pc. Both are hooked up to my plasma so couch argument doesn't work.

[quote name='vlv723']Unless you hate DRM, buy the game.[/QUOTE]

Don't give a rip about DRM, it's a non-issue for me.

The console version was ripped to shreds... and I read some reviews of it that mention compared to the "great other RPG's" on the PC it's lacks.

There really has been a whole lot of great PC RPG's in years. The glory days of the PC centric RPG has passed, and it's almost as barren as consoles.

I love when people resort to stuff like King's Bounty to prove the point, that's not an RPG, it's as much an RPG as Heroes of Might and Magic was.. and that's strategy with RPG elements.

Only thing I've bought so far this sale has been Recettear. Not a huge fan of Japanese games, but the concept behind this one, (getting to be the item shop in an RPG for a change), sold me. That, and the $6.90 price tag.

Hoping they have some decent AAA game deals on games that I don't already have.

arg... 15 mins to decide on ME1 and ME2 DD.... don't really want to spend $30 on them.. has me2 dd been cheaper?

how often has me1 been 5 dollars? will i have to wait 6months to a year? same questions with deathspank, bloodbowl, and silent hunter.

[quote name='jazyje']IS Wings of Prey not worth $6? Reviews are OK, but game gets no love from users.... ????[/QUOTE]

I have been playing it for awhile now and to me it's worth the price. It's a certain style of game that one has to like and enjoy. Found that the Xbox 360 Controller works well for this game.

Picked up AVP for $5 two days ago and Dead Rising 2 yesterday, but each one has had problems. I got the DX10 shuttering issue with AVP, and I couldn't get DR2 to load without downloading the Games for Windows client.

[quote name='frpilot']arg... 15 mins to decide on ME1 and ME2 DD.... don't really want to spend $30 on them.. has me2 dd been cheaper?

how often has me1 been 5 dollars? will i have to wait 6months to a year?[/QUOTE]
I don't remember seeing ME1 for $5. I bought it for $20 a year ago, and it was money well spent. Just get the regular version of ME2, and it's $20 for both. Honestly, there's nothing in the DD version that justifies doubling the price.

IMO, ME1 and ME2 are STEALS at $10 each. Though be warned, if you get both of them and play them, you may end up pre-ordering ME3. That's what happened to me after playing ME1 just before ME2 came out. ;)

I finally caved and bought Alpha Protocol. Who knows, maybe with enough sales, they'll be able to put out a content patch, or even make a sequel that fixes the issues with the original.

[quote name='timobkg']I don't remember seeing ME1 for $5. I bought it for $20 a year ago, and it was money well spent. Just get the regular version of ME2, and it's $20 for both. Honestly, there's nothing in the DD version that justifies doubling the price.

IMO, ME1 and ME2 are STEALS at $10 each. Though be warned, if you get both of them and play them, you may end up pre-ordering ME3. That's what happened to me after playing ME1 just before ME2 came out. ;)

I finally caved and bought Alpha Protocol. Who knows, maybe with enough sales, they'll be able to put out a content patch, or even make a sequel that fixes the issues with the original.[/QUOTE]

Didn't care much for Alpha Protocol. It's like they took Splinter Cell: Conviction, and neutered it. Mass Effect 3 is going to be awesome though.

Wait... no daily deals today? I thought this was through Jan 2.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like there was a slight delay in getting the new ones up today... we are go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back