Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cleaner7']I'm tempted to pickup Torchlight for $5 but I've repeatedly seen it at that price before so I know it will be there again. Has it ever been cheaper than $5?[/QUOTE]

Not that I've seen, unless you could use a coupon at D2D or something. But Steam is just so much more handy. Also make sure you get Torchleech for mods. Insanely easy to use, improves the game.

Yeah, sans coupons at other websites, Torchlight has never dipped under $5 nor would I expect it to until Torchlight 2 is out this upcoming April/May. Heck you might even get a free copy of it if you preorder the sequel but that's just a total guess on my part.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Even played that Onimusha which was the eastern samari style DMC game basically.[/QUOTE]
Actually, Onimusha came first. DMC came into existence due to an bug in an Onimusha game being developed. You could attack an enemy and keep hitting him, juggling him in the air while you kept racking up damage. This was a bug and not intended, but someone walked in on a developer working on the issue and basically said, "Hey, that looks cool! Let's make a game like that!". And thus DMC was born.

I'm thinking about picking it up myself. Will it be a problem if I've never played DMC before? If there's some sort of continuing plot I'll wait until I've played them, I have plenty of other games to keep me occupied until the next time it goes on sale. But if it's standalone I may just pick it up and play it now.

Borderlands is my current favorite game, ever since the last sale, but I'm probably going to pass on this one. The GOTY edition already down to just under $20 in a four-pack, by the time I'm ready for the DLC I think it'll be on sale again.

Finally, I realize I'm repeating everyone else when I say this, but Overlord is steal at $0.75. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pikmin yet, sometimes it seems just like it with different graphics.

[quote name='schuerm26']Ok. I know nothing about computers. Is there any way I can tell which games will work on my computer? If I try to download something will it tell me if it will work or not? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
One sure-fire way to know is to download the demo and see if it works. Obviously this only works for games that have demos.

[quote name='Steggy']seems like a good deal on that valve pack... has it ever been lower?[/QUOTE]

Yep, it was glitched to $25 on day one!

Can anyone sell me on ClapTrap's robolution or whatever? Is it worth going back to Borderlands over? I see 7 main missions and 14 sidequests, how long does it take to beat?

[quote name='Isurus']Not that I've seen, unless you could use a coupon at D2D or something. But Steam is just so much more handy. Also make sure you get Torchleech for mods. Insanely easy to use, improves the game.[/QUOTE]
The Steam version also has cloud saves :)

Yessss! Counter Strike Source! What I was after :D

Everything else looks awesome!
Battlefield 2 Complete for £3.75
Ghost Recon Complete for £7.49
Devil May Cry 4 for £3.49
Sam and Max Devils Playhouse for £8.99
Saints Row 2 for £2.50

Not sure what else to get from that...

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']
Can anyone sell me on ClapTrap's robolution or whatever? Is it worth going back to Borderlands over? I see 7 main missions and 14 sidequests, how long does it take to beat?[/QUOTE]
It finishes up the storyline in terms of the post-credits portion of the original game, if you're a story person. It took me and three other people about 4-5 hours to complete everything from start to finish, but then again one had a modded shotgun. It'll take quite a bit longer for one person. I found it fun but disappointing in length.

[quote name='lilman']The Steam version also has cloud saves :)[/QUOTE]
There are mixed opinions on this aspect. It's great for syncing saves, but I've read about saves occasionally getting overwritten with older versions, maybe because they didn't sync the other system's saves or something. There's a backup anyway and it can be turned off, but it shouldn't deter anyone from buying it on Steam.

Just finished the overlord 2 demo. Seemed like all you do is click for what you want your minions to destroy. Don't get me wrong...this was fun enough. But, is there anything else to this game, like rpg elements, or upgrades...etc.? I would say it seemed fun, and for that price a steal. But, I just bought ME 1 and 2 yesterday...so I will probably hold off if there is nothing more than pointing and clicking controlling your minions.

Next demo to try is king arthur!

[quote name='devwild']*grumble*, I was just looking at DMC 4, and it jumped to $10 now :([/QUOTE]

oh that sucks, i was going to get it, too =/

I bought Recettear, The Witcher and PB Winterbottom so far. Looks like my money is safe for today, but I fear the rest of the sales....

I was trying to buy DMC4...I'd click the add to cart right next to $4.99, but it would end up in my cart at $9.99. A few minutes later they updated the main page to show the new price.

Oh well, Steam saved me some money...it's not worth $9.99 to me.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Yep, it was glitched to $25 on day one!

Can anyone sell me on ClapTrap's robolution or whatever? Is it worth going back to Borderlands over? I see 7 main missions and 14 sidequests, how long does it take to beat?[/QUOTE]

damnit... knew I missed out. :(

Geez, if it wasn't for Steam having the entire pack cheaper than the King's Arther Saxon DLC, my order would have been all DLC.

Picked up the ^^ above.... and slapped up BL: Claptrap DLC. Only one I didn't have when I picked everything else up for $20 on the last sale. :/

So far... I've only spent $25... but there are just tooo many days to hold out and now buy everything!!!

I got Overlord Complete Pack and Torchlight from today's deals making my total spent $63.xx so far. I got pace myself but Steam is making it hard with these incredible deals, those indie packs really add up

[quote name='iso135']Just finished the overlord 2 demo. Seemed like all you do is click for what you want your minions to destroy. Don't get me wrong...this was fun enough. But, is there anything else to this game, like rpg elements, or upgrades...etc.? I would say it seemed fun, and for that price a steal. But, I just bought ME 1 and 2 yesterday...so I will probably hold off if there is nothing more than pointing and clicking controlling your minions.
[/QUOTE]

Not really -- there are a few puzzles you solve by sending your minions in various places but it is mostly just a click-fest. You can get upgrades and such but they aren't significantly noticeable.

glad i picked up dmc4 for $5.. i guess it's a really good idea to shop at 10am pct when they put up the new deal of the days and pick up good deals before they changed the price. got the valve pack for 25 also

Tempted to drop another $15 today, so I checked my habits:

Last year I was financially secure and spent ~$260 on what amounted to ~40 unique games. The year before that (the first big Steam Holiday sale) I was still in college and spent ~110 on ~16 games.

If we count the indie packs minus the games I already owned, this year I've spent just under $58 for 25 new games. But . . . I moved last month and still haven't found a job. Not hurting for money just yet, but I will be in two or three months if I still haven't found a new regular paycheck.

My grandma is cool and sent me $75 for Christmas. I'm aiming to avoid spending more than that; my current cart will bring my total right up to that 'limit.'

December Steam purchases:
Alpha Protocol
The Ball (Steam activated, purchased for $4.24 on D2D, thanks to CAG)
Lara Croft: GoL (with the extra 10% off)
Indie Fantasy
Indie Fright
Indie Future
Indie Brain
AI War: Children of Neinzul
PoP: Sands of Time
Delve Deeper (bought it for $4.99 during their 100% steam sales to Child's Play promo; half-annoyed it appeared in the Indie Children's pack since I didn't have Max and the Magic Marker yet, but the extra $ went to charity)
Amnesia
Chime
Poker Night at the Inventory

Current cart:
Culpa Innata
Fatale
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Shattered Union
King Arthur Complete

I threw the non-daily-deal items in there this afternoon to do my calculating . . . but I really doubt any of them will show up as a daily, as Fatale is the most expensive at a whopping $3.49. Not gonna push the 'purchase' trigger til tonight, though probably will get the King Arthur deal.

Keeping up with this thread almost drove me to pick up Darksiders but I figured $10 is too much for something that I won't reasonably get around to for another 3 months at least, but $7.50 was just good enough to pick up Alpha Protocol--which was more tempting anyway because I almost preordered the game a year ago being a big Obsidian fan.

Comments about Saints Row 2 are pretty compelling, but Amazon has a Prime-elligible store listing a disc copy for like $6.34 or something. The mod comments make it sound really fun, but I don't want to pay more than $5 for gangsta sillies.

Super Meat Boy was an awesome deal, except I've already logged 30 hours into the XBL version. I've done quite a bit of researching on some of the daily's, but it's harder than ever for me to justify entertainment purchases. Wings of Prey, Silent Hunter 3, Blood Bowl, Death Spank, Assasin's Creed 2, Trials 2, Polynomial, Lego Batman, and The Oddbox were all tempting. So far a pretty good sale.

What's the point of such a long post? Meh, I've been following the thread pretty closely since the start of the new sale and felt like it's a good a time as any to 'contribute' -- half the fun for me is scrutinizing fellow CAGers' gaming tastes :)

wtf steam. Chalk up another lost dmc sale unless they drop it back down in price. That's complete bs false advertising since they didn't list it as a limited time offer. And don't give me this "pricing error" bs. You had the whole year figure out the pricing and get it right.

Dang as others have noted DMC4 has gone up to $9.99. I was just about to get that and Torchlight too. Guess it's just Torchlight for me today(at least it's good for my wallet). Why am I always just a little bit to late? I missed out on the Valve complete pack on the first day too.
Edit: I just got Overlord. Wow, I save myself spending $5 because of a pricing error then decide to get a different game for $3.

Last edited by a moderator:
BF2 Complete is finally on sale! I was waiting for this to be cheap to get a digital copy even though I already have every version of BF2 on CD. I just hate installing them because of the whole swapping discs and patching required. Hopefully there's still a decent sized community online. I've enjoyed BC2 but every time I play it, I miss the feeling of a non-console ported Battlefield game.

Steam always fucks up prices...every single sale without fail...like clockwork.

If a price is too good to be true then it probably is so you should just mash 'buy'.

M'mm.. I kind of want Fallout New Vegas. I previously beat it up until around the end (completing most of the faction side quests), but I had to sell my Xbox 360 copy because of some financial issues. I'd like to complete it.. but its also highly likely that its going to be on sale several more times throughout the year.

Decisions. :(

I may just end up either jumping on Fallout 3 GOTY instead to hold me off until I can get a better price.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Steam always fucks up prices...every single sale without fail...like clockwork.

If a price is too good to be true then it probably is so you should just mash 'buy'.[/QUOTE]

True but 75% off a game that came out in 2008 doesn't seem to be a pricing error. Probably what happened was Capcom gave them a limited number of keys towards the game to sell at that price.

Picked up Sam and Max Season 3, King Arthur Complete, Ghost Recon Complete and the last DLC I needed for Borderlands. I'm going to wait on Fallout NV for the complete version next year, still haven't played the original, and steam usually discounts complete packs but not dlc as much.

[quote name='heavymetalking']I'm probably in the same boat as most people who were going to buy DMC and decided not to after the price jump. Any chance it will go back down?[/QUOTE]

no chance. just about to buy it too. crap.

Anyone know any good Diablo-esque clones on sale other than Torchlight or Titan Quest? Also is the Unreal Pack a good deal at $14.99 or will it likely get cheaper? Thanks!

Interested in Borderlands, but I can wait until it goes on sale again because of my backlog.

Seems like Torchlight and Overlord are getting a lot of mention, but I don't know much about them. I do not think I would be able to play the demo, since I am on a laptop with integrated graphics for now. Going to build my first computer in January (Sandy Bridge+ 6850).

[quote name='potat4o']Punkbuster kicks me when I play more than 1 minute of BF2 ... I think I need to disable steam community overlay.[/QUOTE]
Do you have FRAPS or Xfire running?
You might also be able to download PBSetup to check if Punkbuster is up to date. Not sure how effective that is.

[quote name='77Pat']
Seems like Torchlight and Overlord are getting a lot of mention, but I don't know much about them. I do not think I would be able to play the demo, since I am on a laptop with integrated graphics for now.[/QUOTE]
Torchlight has a netbook mode that puts the game on absolute minimum settings. It's great and doesn't look too bad. I ran it on my old Gateway with integrated graphics, runs fairly smoothly but with pretty long load times.
If you've played Diablo at all, it's pretty much the same isometric style of play with somewhat similar skill trees and click-to-attack basic gameplay.

[quote name='77Pat']Seems like Torchlight and Overlord are getting a lot of mention, but I don't know much about them. I do not think I would be able to play the demo, since I am on a laptop with integrated graphics for now. Going to build my first computer in January (Sandy Bridge+ 6850).[/QUOTE]
Torchlight is a game like Diablo. It's not as good, but it's fun and cheap, and the graphics look so much better now (if cartoony). If you enjoyed Diablo, you'll probably like Torchlight.

Torchlight also has a Netbook mode, where you can play it on a netbook. I've tried it on a cheap netbook, and it works. It's not great, but it's playable. If you can play it on a netbook, you can definitely play it on your laptop.

[quote name='PnoyChillin']Anyone have any thoughts on ArmA 2?
im kinda on the fence on it[/QUOTE]

alot of people have said wait, because it's cheaper on amazon.

I'm hoping a complete ArmA pack goes on sale......

[quote name='JustinBeiberMustDie!']Also is the Unreal Pack a good deal at $14.99 or will it likely get cheaper? Thanks![/QUOTE]
It was $12.50 last year on Steam, IIRC. I haven't seen it that low anywhere else, so I think this is likely as good as you're going to see until next year's sale.

[quote name='JustinBeiberMustDie!']Anyone know any good Diablo-esque clones on sale other than Torchlight or Titan Quest? Also is the Unreal Pack a good deal at $14.99 or will it likely get cheaper? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm probably scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but someone recommended Loki as a coop diablo clone on sale but I can't vouch for it personally. It's probably mediocre though. If you don't mind reaching back into ancient history, I had a lot of fun with Darsktone. I even played it again semi-recently on gametap and had fun in LAN coop.

Picked up DMC4 (at the $5 price) and Sam and Max 3 for my mom.

Contemplating Saints Row 2 and ARMA 2 on Amazon, but I've already spent a lot and we're nowhere near done.

It has probably been asked, but is there any point in owning Overlord 1 or the expansion over just Overlord 2? I know it is only $3 versus $1.50, but with the way my backlog is already, I would rather just buy the best one of the three and save the $1.50.

[quote name='t-nutz']I'm probably scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but someone recommended Loki as a coop diablo clone on sale but I can't vouch for it personally. It's probably mediocre though. If you don't mind reaching back into ancient history, I had a lot of fun with Darsktone. I even played it again semi-recently on gametap and had fun in LAN coop.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, Darkstone looks cool, the graphics remind me of the old Myth games! I'll check out Loki as well, it looks pretty neat from the preview, but I'll have to see. Any other suggestions guys?

Was gonna grab DMC4 at the 5 price point, but by the time I got home it was 10.

Ended up getting Overlord Complete, King Arthur Complete, and Torchlight.

Only thing really tempting me is Fallout: NV, though I think I'm going to wait for $20-25 or the inevitable GotY version. I would also get Claptrap's Revenge, but considering that I got Borderlands DLC for $3 last year, I'll wait until they slash it to under $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back