Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darknight88']When do the current game sales end? Not sure to buy Counter Strike source but I did enjoy the guest pass. Will it end being $5 in an hour?(12am)[/QUOTE]

10am PST

[quote name='darknight88']When do the current game sales end? Not sure to buy Counter Strike source but I did enjoy the guest pass. Will it end being $5 in an hour?(12am)[/QUOTE]

lasts until 1 pm Eastern.

[quote name='mblackwl']Quick Q: BF2 is multiplayer only, correct? They didn't add a campaign in until Bad Company, right?[/QUOTE]

There's no campaign but you can play singleplayer with bots.

I got the indie beat pack with beat hazard and bit.trip, as well as the Misadventrues of P.B. Winterbottom. Thanks for letting me know about this sale!

Just making a guess here but I bet
the Valve complete pack will go back on sell for $25(for the 25th day of December).

lol, I remember Devil May Cry 4 being the worst game of the entire sale last year at like $22.50, and now they double the price halfway through the daily deal. Capcom must be trying to win the award for douchiest PC publisher ever.

[quote name='shytface']lol, I remember Devil May Cry 4 being the worst game of the entire sale last year at like $30, and now they double the price halfway through the daily deal. Capcom must be trying to win the award for douchiest PC publisher ever.[/QUOTE]

I was gonna buy it at $5 also, I would have considered it at $10 if it started there but F that tactic.

Can anyone recommend the ghost recon collection or at least the advanced warfighter games? I'm also leaning towards King Arthur as I like the total war style games, is it worth it as well? Also how active is Battlefield 2 online?

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but Mafia 2 PC download is on sale at Amazon for $12.50 right now, and can be activated on Steam.

It might be cheaper on steam for a daily deal, but based on current trends I highly doubt it.

[quote name='agentghost']is it me or I saw Valve Complete Pack for $24.99 2 days ago and now it appears again? Is the pack any good?[/QUOTE]

The price is showing up as $49.99 for me right now, but others have said it might drop to $25 on X-mas day (I guess it did last year.)

Anyways, if it does drop to $25 then you are unlikely to find a better deal this season, unless of course you hate FPS games.

[quote name='Fearbeard']The price is showing up as $49.99 for me right now, but others have said it might drop to $25 on X-mas day (I guess it did last year.)

Anyways, if it does drop to $25 then you are unlikely to find a better deal this season, unless of course you hate FPS games.[/QUOTE]

I'm preeeeeetty sure it hasn't ever been lower than the current price. My memory is fuzzy though.

[quote name='Fearbeard']The price is showing up as $49.99 for me right now, but others have said it might drop to $25 on X-mas day (I guess it did last year.)

Anyways, if it does drop to $25 then you are unlikely to find a better deal this season, unless of course you hate FPS games.[/QUOTE]

or already have everything in the pack...the only things im missing are l4d1 and halflife source

still, if you are missing more than 1/3rd from the pack, it would be a steal at 25

[quote name='Fearbeard']Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but Mafia 2 PC download is on sale at Amazon for $12.50 right now, and can be activated on Steam.

It might be cheaper on steam for a daily deal, but based on current trends I highly doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Cheers to you, thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']There are two recent examples of games not added to that list yet.

The Ball from Direct2Drive and the free game "Defcon" from Green Man Gaming.[/QUOTE]

Defcon isn't free. I was just at their website and they want $5.99 for it?

[quote name='Etae']Just making a guess here but I bet
the Valve complete pack will go back on sell for $25(for the 25th day of December).[/QUOTE]

That would be a Merry Christmas. :D

[quote name='Volcynika']I'm preeeeeetty sure it hasn't ever been lower than the current price. My memory is fuzzy though.[/QUOTE]

The Valve Pack was up for $25 for like the first 2 hours of Day 1 of this whole sale. But then taken down, most likely because they released it early. So it is likely that, like Etae predicts, that Valve will release it again for $25, and tomorrow seems like a perfect day to do it. :)

[quote name='thetruelokre']still, if you are missing more than 1/3rd from the pack, it would be a steal at 25[/QUOTE]

The only games I own from that pack are Portal and TF2, I would love for it to be $25! :bouncy:

[quote name='M_F_A_H']What are the odds that the Civ 4 pack and Pirates end up being daily deals during the sale?[/QUOTE]

Both games are already at huge discounts (Pirates for $2.50 and Civ IV Complete for $6.24) so I wouldn't expect them to go much lower. Anyways, might as well hold out till the last day just be sure, then pick them up at the current sale prices if they don't. You're gonna get a great deal either way.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']That would be a Merry Christmas. :D

The only games I own from that pack are Portal and TF2, I would love for it to be $25! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

If you don't own and haven't played those games they should be at the top of your list.

Coming from someone that signed up for steam only because I had to when they switched from WON, It's always mind-blowing to hear that. Its so hard to imagine a Steam account without every valve game or at least the HL series and mods.

The only two I don't have on the list is DoD: Source and CS: Condition Zero. A few times I've wondered what the percentage of steam account owners who own HL, HL2, etc. I used to think it was 90% or higher but anymore I wonder if PvZ or Torchlight might have a higher percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mblackwl']Quick Q: BF2 is multiplayer only, correct? They didn't add a campaign in until Bad Company, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah no real campaign can play game with team of bots against a team of bots though

[quote name='Fearbeard']Both games are already at huge discounts (Pirates for $2.50 and Civ IV Complete for $6.24) so I wouldn't expect them to go much lower. Anyways, might as well hold out till the last day just be sure, then pick them up at the current sale prices if they don't. You're gonna get a great deal either way.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

[quote name='pROvIs'] It's always mind-blowing to hear that. Its so hard to imagine a Steam account without every valve game or at least the HL series and mods.
[/QUOTE]

Not really, I don't care for fps, strategy and rpg for me. I bought the orange box several years ago, that was my introduction. play tf2 and portal; I started HL2 several years ago, then I shut it off to go to Barnes and Noble one day, and I havent started it since.

so i got to looking in the system for blood bowl to see if any of the previous versions were still available on steam and found Blood Bowl: "Dark Elves" Edition for $4.99 vs $26.79 for the "Legendary Edition" after comparing the two, it seems that while "Legendary" may have more features, "Dark Elves" is only $5, right at where I know i was wanting to bite

If anyone is interested, Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition can be found at:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/11170/

alternatively, you can just search for "dark elves" and it'll take ya right there

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']Yeah no real campaign can play game with team of bots against a team of bots though[/QUOTE]

For great SP action, get the AIX mod (multiplayer AIX is also fantastic.)

I cannot confirm, however, that it works with the Steam version. I was thinking about picking it up for the convenience of the streamlined install, but the Steam forums didn't seem to hold the answer.

[quote name='pROvIs']If you don't own and haven't played those games they should be at the top of your list.

Coming from someone that signed up for steam only because I had to when they switched from WON, It's always mind-blowing to hear that. Its so hard to imagine a Steam account without every valve game or at least the HL series and mods.

The only two I don't have on the list is DoD: Source and CS: Condition Zero. A few times I've wondered what the percentage of steam account owners who own HL, HL2, etc. I used to think it was 90% or higher but anymore I wonder if PvZ or Torchlight might have a higher percentage.[/QUOTE]

Haha, well I have played The Orange Box on the 360, and never beat either Half-life 1/2 because I got bored, but I suppose I can take another stab at them if it goes on sale.
I just hope my laptop can run them, I know for sure it won't be able to run the L4D's...

I'm also excited to finally see what all this CS hype is all about.

[quote name='Jorbi']I started HL2 several years ago, then I shut it off to go to Barnes and Noble one day, and I havent started it since.[/QUOTE]

I feel ya' on that man, something about the series just doesn't do it for me... =/
But I"m definitely excited for the rest of the pack...IF it does go on sale.

Has the Monkey Island 1 & 2 pack ever been lower than $7.50? I've been enjoying Tales a lot and am interested in the earlier games. It seems like a nice enough price, but I'd hate to buy it and then see it go lower. Also, how different are the special edition versions than the original versions? Are they more like a Super Mario All-Stars graphical makeover or a Resident Evil GCN completely new game with the same plot?

I'm kinda surprised at how weak this year's holiday sale is compared to last year for me. Thus far the only things I've purchased are The Witcher ($5) and F.E.A.R. Collection ($10). Last year I grabbed Prey ($2.25), Osmos ($2.00), Trine ($5.00), Crysis Maximum Edition ($13.60), and Braid ($2.50). Even Mass Effect was cheaper last year at $5 compared to $10 this year.

The funny thing is, the only thing Steam would have to do to make this holiday sale a success for me is price match Impulse's Black Friday sale of Dragon Age Ultimate at $25. Do that and I'm a very happy man.

[quote name='Lost Loser']Has the Monkey Island 1 & 2 pack ever been lower than $7.50? I've been enjoying Tales a lot and am interested in the earlier games. It seems like a nice enough price, but I'd hate to buy it and then see it go lower. Also, how different are the special edition versions than the original versions? Are they more like a Super Mario All-Stars graphical makeover or a Resident Evil GCN completely new game with the same plot?[/QUOTE]

I've seen both games on sale individually for $5 so $7.50 seems like the best price for the pack so far. What's cool about the Special Editions is you can switch from the new HD versions to the original versions with the click of a button. I wish all remakes had this option or contained both versions in a pack.

[quote name='Ardrid']I'm kinda surprised at how weak this year's holiday sale is compared to last year for me. Thus far the only things I've purchased are The Witcher ($5) and F.E.A.R. Collection ($10). Last year I grabbed Prey ($2.25), Osmos ($2.00), Trine ($5.00), Crysis Maximum Edition ($13.60), and Braid ($2.50). Even Mass Effect was cheaper last year at $5 compared to $10 this year.

The funny thing is, the only thing Steam would have to do to make this holiday sale a success for me is price match Impulse's Black Friday sale of Dragon Age Ultimate at $25. Do that and I'm a very happy man.[/QUOTE]

I suspect we'll see Dragon Age in a daily deal...

Though I'm expecting a $30 price tag unfortunately, maybe a lower one if you've purchased a Mass Effect as seems to be the trend.

[quote name='Fearbeard']I suspect we'll see Dragon Age in a daily deal...

Though I'm expecting a $30 price tag unfortunately, maybe a lower one if you've purchased a Mass Effect as seems to be the trend.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind seeing Dragon Age on a daily deal. I already own it on Xbox and played many playthrus so it would take a very nice price for me to purchase it again though.

[quote name='thetruelokre']so i got to looking in the system for blood bowl to see if any of the previous versions were still available on steam and found Blood Bowl: "Dark Elves" Edition for $4.99 vs $26.79 for the "Legendary Edition" after comparing the two, it seems that while "Legendary" may have more features, "Dark Elves" is only $5, right at where I know i was wanting to bite

If anyone is interested, Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition can be found at:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/11170/

alternatively, you can just search for "dark elves" and it'll take ya right there[/QUOTE]

The only problem is that Regular/DE and Legendary are not compatible for Multiplayer.

Which is lame as hell. Still, it's a fantastic board game and a lot of fun. Either game will do you well.

Nothing for me today, I don't think. Two weeks is a long sale and I need to pace myself. Though I *do* need the final Borderlands DLC, that at an indeterminate point in the backlog and I suspect we'll eventually see Sam & Max for less than $10. Again, possibly before I would have gotten to it in the first place.

Restraint is oddly unsatisfying. :)

[quote name='selits']Episode 1 was pretty awesome IMO.. when you finally get it you won't regret it... even at current price![/QUOTE]

You'd say that $22 bucks for all 5 episodes would be good then? How long is the first one?

And any idea if this is just a "first week" sale or if its actuallly part of the holiday sale.

Saw a few posts asking about this ... BF2 runs fine on 7 and (I assume) Vista 64bit. Although I've only personally used 7. Also, you must disable Steam Community Overlay in settings if you don't want to get kicked by Punkbuster.

[quote name='Lost Loser']Has the Monkey Island 1 & 2 pack ever been lower than $7.50? I've been enjoying Tales a lot and am interested in the earlier games. It seems like a nice enough price, but I'd hate to buy it and then see it go lower. Also, how different are the special edition versions than the original versions? Are they more like a Super Mario All-Stars graphical makeover or a Resident Evil GCN completely new game with the same plot?[/QUOTE]

I think it may have been $5 for both during Thanksgiving... I am not 100% sure though. $7.50 is a nice price for both games, but I have a feeling the pack will be part of a upcoming daily deal. I'd wait and see before jumping on it for $7.50

[quote name='sp8001']I think it may have been $5 for both during Thanksgiving... I am not 100% sure though. $7.50 is a nice price for both games, but I have a feeling the pack will be part of a upcoming daily deal. I'd wait and see before jumping on it for $7.50[/QUOTE]

My purchase history says $4.99 on October 15. So, just a few bucks cheaper. (Tales of Monkey Island)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! :D

[quote name='potat4o']Also, you must disable Steam Community Overlay in settings if you don't want to get kicked by Punkbuster.[/QUOTE]
I think Punkbuster just hates any third-party background processes, including FRAPS, Xfire, CPU temp programs, TeamSpeak overlay, etc. I've read about some of these working fine, though, so it could be a bit finicky. I really hate it, but I enjoy BF games too much. >.<

For the sake of others, I'm wondering when TF2 will go to $5 or under. I seem to remember it being $3 during one sale (not during one of those

[quote name='Firvagor']
I think Punkbuster just hates any third-party background processes, including FRAPS, Xfire, CPU temp programs, TeamSpeak overlay, etc. I've read about some of these working fine, though, so it could be a bit finicky. I really hate it, but I enjoy BF games too much. >.<
[/QUOTE]

Most of the time a manual update of punkbuster fixes issues as well. Just go to the punkbuster website and download the newest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back