Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Monroeski']I have Dragon Age: Origins, but I don't have Awakenings or any of the other DLC. Is the $10 extra for the Ultimate edition worth it over Awakenings by itself since I don't own any of the DLC yet?[/QUOTE]

I've spent more than $35 on the DLC alone for DA:O, so yup, definitely worth it to get the Ulimate edition if you currently only have the original game.

[quote name='redline']Yep, I won't even rebuy games on Steam that I have on my old Xbox. I rather just play it on the old Xbox, even if the graphics are worse. Seems like a waste to me, too.[/QUOTE]

That only makes sense to me in a few set circumstances:

1. An enhanced version of the original game is released. Example would be God of War Collection. I own both of the original games on the PS2 but the enhancements made to them made it worthwhile for me to pick it up on the PS3. That's only more poignant now that I sold my backwards compatible 80GB model for a new 160GB.

2. Digital copies of the same game for greater convenience provided that you sell the originals. Example here would be the Kindle. There are a few books I repurchased for my new Kindle because of the convenience factor. I know I'll read them over again but I'd prefer to do it without the heft of the original paperback. That said, I only do that if I can sell the original book. I obviously won't get the full price I initially paid but I'll get enough that I usually break even on the digital version.

3. Same vein as #2 but the original copies were free. Example here would obviously be Steam purchases. I picked up the F.E.A.R. Collection the other day even though I already own the disc copy of the first game. This was done primarily because of the price (I've been waiting for a F.E.A.R. 2 sale for awhile) and because the first game came free with a purchase I made years ago. For me, there was no loss in repurchasing F.E.A.R. because I never spent money the first time around and I ended up with all the DLC and F.E.A.R. 2.

Those are the only real circumstances I can see where repurchase makes sense.

[quote name='Genocidal']I picked up X2 and X3 Reunion last year during the winter sale, and I could never get into the games personally. The controls were a bit obtuse, and the second mission after I started X3, I got lost on my way there and was never able to find where I was going again. Partly my fault I'm sure, but after reading about and wanting to enjoy the series, that first impression really put me off.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I tried the X Series years ago (I think x2 but maybe x3 not sure). I had a really hard time getting into them. I played it for a few hours and really didn't know what I was doing or what to do. I'm sure they are someones cup of tea but for me it seemed like the equivalent of a Flight Simulator for Space trading/smuggling.

On the fence about DA: Ultimate. Never played DA, but I have already picked up FO GOTY and BL GOTY. Those 2 alone can keep me distracted until DA:Ultimate is lower? Right? :lol:

If you want just reckless fun where you laugh all the time due to how you can mangle the human body in car crashes - All Flatout Series are a must! My buddy and I used to pay them all the time on PS2. We couldn't stop repeating some of the mini games due just to the hilarious ways we could mess the driver up in crashes! Its a lot of fun and a good pick up and play during short periods. I plan to pick up all 3 -Can't lose for 3 bucks!

On another note: I have gotten ahead of myself, so I have extra copies of the following to offer via PayPal gift:

Borderlands Vanilla - $7.50
Half-Life 2 - $2.00
King Arthur Complete Pack - $5.00
All Above Bundled - $13

PM if interested and Merry Christmas CAG! You came to me in a desperate time changing my ways and following my morals in stopping to pirate games! Thank you!

if anybody is on the fence on the monkey island pack because they have the first one, i will buy the first one off ya cuz i have the second monkey island but not the first. give me a PM if interested.

For all of the people asking about the Flatout games, I would recommend Flatout Ultimate Carnage. The first two games are both good, fun racing games (and well worth the money) but the third one is the best of the three.

Even if you already own Burnout the Flatout games are still worth getting as they have more of a "arcade racer" feel to them (and you don't crash into your opponents on purpose like on Burnout) Plus you get the fun minigames where you shoot your driver out of the car through flaming hoops, or into a giant dartboard, that alone will kill a couple of hours.

Definitely recommend getting all three at the price, but if you can only afford one, go for Ultimate Carnage, I got a lot of hours of gameplay out of it (and I SUCK at driving games)

[quote name='Tomski5421']if anybody is on the fence on the monkey island pack because they have the first one, i will buy the first one off ya cuz i have the second monkey island but not the first.[/QUOTE]
You can't split bundles when gifting since it's listed as one item, unless there's another process I'm not familiar with.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Oh where oh were is my potato pack.......also tropico 2 intrigues me..... Seems a little like evil genius.[/QUOTE]
I'm with you there waiting on the potato pack.

[quote name='Firvagor']You can't split bundles when gifting since it's listed as one item, unless there's another process I'm not familiar with.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it only works on some bundles and I just checked. You can't give away Monkey Island 1.

Awesome deals today - where is the whole 'meh' mentality of this year's sale coming from? Sometimes I think that there are many CAGs that are extremely pretentious and have incredibly ridiculous expectations for this sale. Just because you already own the game doesn't make it a terrible sale. You just might have to get out and see some sunshine a little more often and game a little bit less.

In for Monkey Island, Red Faction and DA Ultimate today. Considering the Splinter Cell pack....hmmm.

Steam - keep the awesomeness coming.

Today's purchases so far:

Secret of Monkey Island SE Bundle (3.75 is an absolute steal!)

Considering:

Flatout
Blue Toad Murder Files

If anyone has played Blue Toad Murder Files, I would love to hear your thoughts about the game.

So for anyone that got Borderlands GOTY, did you only get 3 key codes? 2 for DLC for Borderlands (not all) and one for Duke Nukem? Is that normal?

[quote name='blitztwn36']Awesome deals today - where is the whole 'meh' mentality of this year's sale coming from? Sometimes I think that there are many CAGs that are extremely pretentious and have incredibly ridiculous expectations for this sale. Just because you already own the game doesn't make it a terrible sale. You just might have to get out and see some sunshine a little more often and game a little bit less.

In for Monkey Island, Red Faction and DA Ultimate today. Considering the Splinter Cell pack....hmmm.

Steam - keep the awesomeness coming.[/QUOTE]
pc gaming isnt as big as it used to BE :(

[quote name='blitztwn36']Awesome deals today - where is the whole 'meh' mentality of this year's sale coming from? Sometimes I think that there are many CAGs that are extremely pretentious and have incredibly ridiculous expectations for this sale. Just because you already own the game doesn't make it a terrible sale. You just might have to get out and see some sunshine a little more often and game a little bit less.

Steam - keep the awesomeness coming.[/QUOTE]

It's generally due to how many repeats there are across these big sales.

Well, barring something incredible, this will probably end my haul for 2010's Steam Sale. Picked up:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - $5
F.E.A.R. Collection - $10
Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition - $25
------
Total $40

Great day for me. DAO Ultimate, been waiting for this to hit half price. Batman AA, I knew it be 75% off daily deal this sale, Monkey Island pack awesome. own X3/TC so no go for that but great games still. Might pick up Tropico 3, always wanted to pick it up, will pick up Flatout UC later today probably and getting Blue Toad, the demo was pretty cool from what I played. Altitude is a fun game I recommend as well.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Today's purchases so far:

Secret of Monkey Island SE Bundle (3.75 is an absolute steal!)

Considering:

Flatout
Blue Toad Murder Files

If anyone has played Blue Toad Murder Files, I would love to hear your thoughts about the game.[/QUOTE]

Played the demo on ps3. Basically, it's alot like a professor layton game but with 4 player couch coop. If you like brain teasers and adventure games it's worth it. It was originally 20-30 on psn at the begining of the year.

[quote name='blitztwn36']Awesome deals today - where is the whole 'meh' mentality of this year's sale coming from? [/QUOTE]

I'm not going to say the sale is disappointing but the 'meh' factor is coming from the fact that certain mainstay titles have been put up as dailies for lesser discounts than they have in the past, e.g., Tales of Monkey Island, Borderlands, Mass Effect, etc. But, such is life -- I'm sure Valve calculated that more people buy at Christmas than the middle of the summer so they would make the same revenue at the higher price points. Not a huge issue for me as I'll just keep waiting them out since I have a large backlog.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I wonder if the Monkey Island pack is still worth it if I own the first game...[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing but remembered that I bought MI:SE1 for $5 and kicked myself for not grabbing MI:SE2 for the same price. Bought the pack knowing it was still cheaper than buying MI:SE2 by itself.

On that note, has anyone else not had MI:SE2 show up in their Library? I bought Blue Toad Murder Files in the same transaction and already owned MI:SE1 and they are visible, but MI:SE2 still won't show up. I've rebooted Steam and going to its Store Page confirmed I own it so I installed from there but it still won't show up. It's simply annoying since what if I wasn't connected online and couldn't reach the Store Page then I wouldn't be able to access it.

[quote name='Cleaner7']

On that note, has anyone else not had MI:SE2 not show up in their Library? I bought Blue Toad Murder Files in the same transaction and already owned MI:SE1 and they are visible, but MI:SE2 still won't show up. I've rebooted Steam and going to its Store Page confirmed I own it so I installed from there but it still won't show up. It's simply annoying since what if I wasn't connected online and couldn't reach the Store Page then I wouldn't be able to access it.[/QUOTE]

Both of mine showed up, but unlike other sequels, these 2 are not paired together on the games list. Original is under S for Secret and sequel is under M for Monkey.

Hopefully you just overlooked it.

Cleaner7: Look for "Monkey Island 2" instead of "The Secret of Monkey Island." Dunno why they decided to switch things up as I'd prefer to have the games 'side by side' in my library, but whatever.

Decided to skip the "Superbox" version of the X series and just get X3:TC after comments here and on other forums. I like slow-paced games . . . but what I've been reading is the previous entries in the series all added up to the latest, which still has a pretty active mod community.

[quote name='sp8001']Both of mine showed up, but unlike other sequels, these 2 are not paired together on the games list. Original is under S for Secret and sequel is under M for Monkey.

Hopefully you just overlooked it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Rohsiph']Cleaner7: Look for "Monkey Island 2" instead of "The Secret of Monkey Island." Dunno why they decided to switch things up as I'd prefer to have the games 'side by side' in my library, but whatever.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! You both were correct and now I feel dumb that I missed it considering I quickly skimmed my library for it before. They really should have put them next to each other for organization and convenience since I prefer having members of a series together. Oh well.

I really love Steam. Before I was an achievement whore on my 360 and would buy almost any game on sale but now I'm more of a cheap ass than before. If an XBLA game is available on Steam I simply pass on the XBLA version since even if it goes on sale it would be for $5-8 anyways where on Steam the same game can be anywhere from $0.50-5 or like Monkey Island $3.75 for BOTH!!! I passed on MI:SE2 for $5 and Puzzle Quest 2 for $10 on XBLA and in comparison to Steam those seem like such a ripoff especially since Microsoft doesn't offer bundled discounts like Steam or even PSN do. Not to mention if your console craps out in the future and is no longer supported then it's a possibility you'll lose access to those games. Steam was originally my backup but now it's my primary.

Everyone should really pick up MI at that price!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='77Pat']If I have not played Monkey Island before, is it worth buying the Special Edition bundle?

I was also thinking of buying Blue Toad, does anyone have any opinions?

Already put the order through for DAO Ultimate[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. No-Brainer deal.
Did you play the classic pixelated version? These special editions are highly updated graphics, or essentially a whole new game experience!
Also include the classic graphics as an option - but you'll have to find out which button activates them. heh heh ;)
actually pretty simple.

The most helpful button in many applications with a menu bar.

[quote name='Cleaner7']Thank you! You both were correct and now I feel dumb that I missed it considering I quickly skimmed my library for it before. They really should have put them next to each other for organization and convenience since I prefer having members of a series together. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I think I tried to buy 2 like three times before I was able to find it in my library. I'm glad they've added a launch button to the store pages for games you own.

Agree with the others in the post....the MI special editions are a STEAL at that price. Going back to the topic "re purchasing" I own both games for Steam and 360. The former because of the price when I got them, and the latter because I enjoyed being able to play them on a big TV with my wife who only knew the last three games in the series. Plus I like to lie to myself and say that I'm supporting more games like them.

Secondly, in my unwanted personal opinion, the disappointment in game prices this year is a combination of higher expectations and historical basis with Steam sales. What's the real difference in 3.75 vs. 5 bucks for a game? Only a 1.25, but if I was expected 3.75 and in the past similar games WERE that price, then I probably wouldn't touch it. I view the Steam sales like Provis - it's going to be a surprise, and I hope that what I wanted is cheapest. Yes some of the game selections haven't been what I was looking for, but then there are games that hit that "Sweet spot" that I would never normally purchase but do anyway. Am I going to be a little disappointed that Divinity 2 isn't on sale for $15? A little, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment of Winterbottom for .50 or Evil Genius for a few bucks.

Hm, it appears my soap box has disappeared.

Awesome day today. Grabbing the X Superbox. If there is nothing else for me the rest of the sale, I'll be happy with this. I love this series, ever since I stumbled across the first one nearly a decade ago, and now I can finally complete my collection, have it all convenient on Steam, and get the bonus content. Awesome deal.

For a split second after today's deals went up, X Superbox was showing as 50% off, which is how much it's been this whole sale, and I knew they must have intended to put it on more discount than that. 75% would have been awesome, but I won't freak out about 3 bucks and change.

I'll think about Tropico 3 a little.

[quote name='crzyboy88']Which of the three FlatOut games do you guys recommend?[/QUOTE]
Flatout 2. Ultimate Carnage is just Flatout 2 with slightly better graphics, but mostly the same content, and worst of all, Games for Windows Live integration.

Flatout 2 has a far more active online community, and even a decently sized mod scene. If you're only gonna get one, get FO2.

[quote name='pROvIs']Is there any reason to pick up a flatout game when you own burnout?[/QUOTE]
Well, they're actually quite different from Burnout, so, yes.

Having a hard time deciding if DAO Ultimate edition is a purchase at this price or if we can expect an even deeper discount on steam in the next six months. I'm in no rush to play it, so I suppose I should wait, but I'd hate to wait and then discover it's not going to drop again till next year's sale... Decisions decisions.

[quote name='Cleaner7'].Not to mention if your console craps out in the future and is no longer supported then it's a possibility you'll lose access to those games. [/QUOTE]

Nope, that's a pretend scenario you just made up in your head
If that's what's motivating you then you're making up excuses that don't happen in real life

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Nope, that's a pretend scenario you just made up in your head
If that's what's motivating you then you're making up excuses that don't happen in real life[/QUOTE]

So you're saying you have never heard of a console dying before? It's actually quite common. Consoles die every day...

[quote name='sp8001']So you're saying you have never heard of a console dying before? It's actually quite common. Consoles die every day...[/QUOTE]

As someone in IT, pcs die everyday... It's actually quite common.

[quote name='sp8001']So you're saying you have never heard of a console dying before? It's actually quite common. Consoles die every day...[/QUOTE]
Zero content is linked to the console
Did you not know that?

[quote name='bigant262']Should I get all 3 Flatouts or just 1 and 2?[/QUOTE]

Ultimate Carnage = Flatout 2 plus slightly better graphics, plus a couple new tracks and cars and I think a new mode, plus annoying Games for Windows LIVE integration, and minus fairly active online community.

For $2, hell, I bought UC just to complete my collection, but you'll be fine without it, unless the above sounds particularly compelling.

From Today:

Red Faction Guerrilla - Really want this and seems fun $5 price point is pretty common

DAO:Ultimate - Man this is the price I was looking for but with all the games in the old backlog should I wait for $20?

Altitude- Really into indie games now and this looks fun anybody have any thoughts on this game? Mad I passed on Tommy Tronic too!!

Shank- Really believe this will go lower and it's getting really mixed reviews from folks that wanted to love it. Any CAG thoughts?

I'll figure it all out by 1:00 tomorrow...lol

ok so i already have Batman on the 360 and i just had to buy the GOTY edition for 7.50 it looks amazing on my PC as well, just played the demo and instant purchase. i freakin love batman arkham asylum. downloading the shank demo now and i might get that as well.

About Flatout Ultimate Carnage: Unless they have fixed it like, today... A lot of people won't be able to launch this game. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, with gtx 480's in SLI. The Steam version will NOT launch for me. I get "Cannot find native resolution", no matter what I do.

It's a known problem, since the LAST sale the game had. The developer is gone, they were apparently closed down.

There is a way to get the game working, but you will have to take upon yourself to find a pirate copy on the internet. Then, just don't bother cracking it. Use the serial you get from Steam, if you buy it... Just plug that into the "Games for Windows Live" dash when you sign in, and it works.

No clue why the Steam version wouldn't work. I was told they could do nothing for me. At least the key is valid, if you get the files some other way.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']
Shank- Really believe this will go lower and it's getting really mixed reviews from folks that wanted to love it. Any CAG thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

Shank only has about 2-4 hours of game play. There's a somewhat separate co-op experience but keep in mind it is local co-op only.

Dragon Age and MI:SE for me. I'm done with the sale now, got pretty much all that I was waiting for. ME2 and DA :) I'm one happy camper. Spent $70 with everything else that I got along the way.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']From Today:

Red Faction Guerrilla - Really want this and seems fun $5 price point is pretty common

DAO:Ultimate - Man this is the price I was looking for but with all the games in the old backlog should I wait for $20?

Altitude- Really into indie games now and this looks fun anybody have any thoughts on this game? Mad I passed on Tommy Tronic too!!

I'll figure it all out by 1:00 tomorrow...lol[/QUOTE]

i can vouch for altitude. its a lot of fun multiplayer. its easy to pick up and you can play it for however long you want, whether it be only 2 minutes or an hour.
theres a demo on steam as well if you want to try it out.

[youtube]q7BoOwtCSjQ[/youtube][youtube]mrNLKNvY2wM[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/25 No reviews today! Busy with Christmas. :)

[youtube]iAbcY66wcL0[/youtube][youtube]Jj104RgxDmo[/youtube]

[quote name='rhettdb2005']Having a hard time deciding if DAO Ultimate edition is a purchase at this price or if we can expect an even deeper discount on steam in the next six months. I'm in no rush to play it, so I suppose I should wait, but I'd hate to wait and then discover it's not going to drop again till next year's sale... Decisions decisions.[/QUOTE]

Considering that its a GOTY sorta deal, I wouldn't expect to drop any lower than $20 too soon, at least for another year. Might be a sale in March when Dragon Age 2 releases.

Does anyone else feel like me?
Every day of the sales, I search for a deal on a game that I don't already own on steam only to realize that steam has had my pocket book all year anyway!

Gotta love Steam!:lol:

[quote name='bigant262']So for anyone that got Borderlands GOTY, did you only get 3 key codes? 2 for DLC for Borderlands (not all) and one for Duke Nukem? Is that normal?[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's exactly what I got as well. Guess it's normal. Weird thing is it shows as Borderlands in my games list and NOT Borderlands GOTY. ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back