Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']Nothing to buy today either, would love Batman GOTY for $7.50 on Xbox since I need my achievements[/QUOTE]

The Steam version uses Games For Windows Live, so it gives you real Xbox Live Achievements.

Only Blue Toad Murder Files for me, today.

I kinda want to get Splinter Cell and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory... :whistle2:k

For those worried about Flatout: Ultimate Carnage on Windows 7 64-Bit, it looks like it works fine for me. I am remote from my gaming PC and was able to test it over a VNC connection and it launched and was able to login to windows live etc. Unless the crash is later on it seems like it works for me.

I'm running an i7-860 w/ GTX 470 on Win 7 Enterprise

[quote name='pROvIs']For those worried about Flatout: Ultimate Carnage on Windows 7 64-Bit, it looks like it works fine for me. I am remote from my gaming PC and was able to test it over a VNC connection and it launched and was able to login to windows live etc. Unless the crash is later on it seems like it works for me.

I'm running an i7-860 w/ GTX 470 on Win 7 Enterprise[/QUOTE]

You're lucky. I didn't try to re-download it today, but maybe I should. The steam version never worked for me.

I instantly jumped on Batman AA GOTY because of the awesome price, but I've been largely annoyed by it.

- Securom and GFWL
- They decided to tie a bunch of graphical effects to the proprietary Nvidia PhyX engine, and I have a good ATI card.
- Starting up the game includes about 25 seconds of intro that are not easily skippable, including a Nvidia advertisement.
- No way to customize/remap controls. Not even mouse sensitivity! So I have to bump my DPI down to 400 every time I play, which is a huge hassle given that I've remapped my DPI mouse keys.

So I can only really recommend this to people who don't mind GFWL, have a Nvidia card, and only like to play on a controller. Otherwise, there are a lot of annoyances which really diminished the deal for me.

[quote name='Antipodes']I instantly jumped on Batman AA GOTY because of the awesome price, but I've been largely annoyed by it.

- Securom and GFWL
- They decided to tie a bunch of graphical effects to the proprietary Nvidia PhyX engine, and I have a good ATI card.
- Starting up the game includes about 25 seconds of intro that are not easily skippable, including a Nvidia advertisement.
- No way to customize/remap controls. Not even mouse sensitivity! So I have to bump my DPI down to 400 every time I play, which is a huge hassle given that I've remapped my DPI mouse keys.

So I can only really recommend this to people who don't mind GFWL, have a Nvidia card, and only like to play on a controller. Otherwise, there are a lot of annoyances which really diminished the deal for me.[/QUOTE]

Well, I may have to hear a little bit more about this before I buy.

1. Securom and GFWL do not bother me for this.
but,
2. I have an ATI card.
3. I don't have a controller yet.

Anyone else in this situation have any opinions?

I have an ATI card it plays perfectly fine minus the physx, I don't find the controls to be a problem as well using a KB/M but I could see it being a lot better using a controller.

Nonetheless $7.50 is an AWESOME price for this game

[quote name='forbiddenx']I have an ATI card it plays perfectly fine minus the physx, I don't find the controls to be a problem as well using a KB/M but I could see it being a lot better using a controller.

Nonetheless $7.50 is an AWESOME price for this game[/QUOTE]

Alright, I don't think a graphics thing like that would hold me back on this deal anyways. Also, I am getting more used to kb/m by the day. Although, I may have a controller before I even get around to playing this.

But thank you for your opinion, I was going into today positive I was going to pick it up, but then that other post happened...

I'll Definitely be picking it up now.

[quote name='Antipodes']I instantly jumped on Batman AA GOTY because of the awesome price, but I've been largely annoyed by it.

- Securom and GFWL

So I can only really recommend this to people who don't mind GFWL, have a Nvidia card, and only like to play on a controller. Otherwise, there are a lot of annoyances which really diminished the deal for me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I despise both Securom and GFWL and wowed to avoid all games with them unless *maybe* if they are dirt cheap. I was halfway convincing myself to get the game on account of how great it supposedly is even though it has not one but two awful DRM's on top of Steam. Still, the securom activation has a monthly refresh and the GFWL key is SSA from what I read, so it's somewhat tolerable, but only on account of the supposed greatness of the game.

I'm ordering parts for a new PC this week, including an AMD card, so I won't be able to enjoy the physX goodies, although I don't mind that so much. However I do have an xbox 360 controller to play with.
Unskippable videos at the beginning of games are a huge annoyance, no way of disabling them in a config file or something? Anybody know?

Still on the fence with this one, but mostly because of my dislike for DRM other than Steam.

I'm not sure if I should jump on The Echelon Edition of Splinter Cell. I already have Splinter Cell and Chaos Theory, but I want to try Double Agent and Conviction. I'm not sure if I'm doing my math right, since it's 6AM and I'm tired, but I think it's cheaper to buy the Echelon Edition than to buy DA and Conviction separately?

Can anyone give me input as to whether it is cheaper, and whether those games are worth getting?

Edit:
When going through the checkout, the Echelon Edition goes up in price from $18.39 to 22.99. Read about it earlier, but thought it may have been fixed or some kinda quirk. It's cheaper in the end for me to just buy each separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iso135']Well, I may have to hear a little bit more about this before I buy.

1. Securom and GFWL do not bother me for this.
but,
2. I have an ATI card.
3. I don't have a controller yet.

Anyone else in this situation have any opinions?[/QUOTE]

It's a great game and you would be doing yourself a disservice by not experiencing it.

I don't care about the drm, had no issue with it.
I've got an ATI card,
KB&M worked just fine.

I honestly don't get why people are so "rebellious" against DRM. I mean what are the chances you're going to need to install it on 4 or more machines anyhow?

Grabbed Flatout and Flatout 2 this morning... Loved both of them on Xbox back when it was still alive. Since I just got a 360 wired controller I couldn't pass them up for $1.75

Also about PhysX... I googled it and it seems you can patch it to run on ATI cards. Not 100% sure if you need a nVidia card as well. Let me know if I am mistaken. I haven't tried it, and I'm sure someone will have more information on it. Here is the link I found: http://www.overclock.net/ati/591872-how-run-physx-windows-7-ati.html

Edit: Reread it and it seems you have to have both ATI and nVidia cards installed. Useful when using ATI as primary. Since I only have ATI, sadly it doesn't apply to me.

It'd be a shame for anyone to miss out on Batman at this price - don't let GFWL rob you of the experience.

It does work okay on kb/m, but I ultimately used a controller and enjoyed it much more. The hacking mini-game, for instance, uses the vibration as part of its mechanic. For this type of game it's much less tiring on your fingers and hands to hold the controller and mash combos than it is to keep them in place on your keyboard.

[quote name='Trelow']It's a great game and you would be doing yourself a disservice by not experiencing it.

I don't care about the drm, had no issue with it.
I've got an ATI card,
KB&M worked just fine.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am picking it up.

I am also going to pick up flatout 1 and 2, though I will likely pass on ultimate carnage because I have read that the game may not run on my win 7-64.

Also considering Red Faction Guerilla, but this is the game I am thinking about passing on. This is not because I think it isn't worth 4.99, but because I will have already bought Monkey Island Combo, Batman AA, Flatout 1 and 2 today.

Some SecuROM info: Reformatting will not use up an activation, as you have the same hardware. And upgrading the hardware in more cases will not disrupt SecuROM (eg, only a video card). If you are really worried about using an activation, you can revoke the licence before upgrading or switching computers (it can be used after upgrading too). Batman comes with a revoke tool ... Such a pain I know ... I really prefer Steam DRM. I think of SecuROM as like Steam, but you must do everything manually :(

https://support.securom.com/faq_pa.html

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JDWJ37XYP6NETQMAWW3

BOOM! Wired black Xbox 360 controller. 30 bucks, invest. It works with a lot of games and you aren't going to find a better PC controller. Some games are meant to be played with a controller; especially games built for consoles and put on PC. Arkham Asylum, Shank, Dead Rising 2, Super meat Boy, etc.[/QUOTE]

I can sell you (or trade for games) brand new sealed WIRELESS official Xbox PC controller for a bit more... (I bought 2, only need one)

[quote name='homeland']Just bought Tropico.. . Damn you steam, you win another day.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. Between Steam and Amazon I've bought 23 games in the past two days. I bet Charter is curious as to my unusually high rates of downloads lately

[quote name='TestType']I'm ordering parts for a new PC this week, including an AMD card, so I won't be able to enjoy the physX goodies, although I don't mind that so much. However I do have an xbox 360 controller to play with.

Unskippable videos at the beginning of games are a huge annoyance, no way of disabling them in a config file or something? Anybody know?[/QUOTE]

PhysX isn't really needed, so you'd be perfectly fine with an ATI card. Controls are pretty good with keyboard and mouse and the keyboard/mouse controls can be manually changed via options.

As for unskippable intros, they're skippable but not in the usual launch option way. You need to edit the ini after you set your settings set (As changing options will change it back) or set security on the intro movie files to deny for your computer account or just rename the intro movie files.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JDWJ37XYP6NETQMAWW3

BOOM! Wired black Xbox 360 controller. 30 bucks, invest. It works with a lot of games and you aren't going to find a better PC controller. Some games are meant to be played with a controller; especially games built for consoles and put on PC. Arkham Asylum, Shank, Dead Rising 2, Super meat Boy, etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. So the official xbox 360 WIRED controller works with PC out of box? Should I consider the WIRELESS one with the adapter?

I own an xbox and hate constantly changing the battery packs on my wireless controllers. I don't need a wired controller per se, but I would most certainly use it with the xbox AND the PC gaming.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

I paid $25 for Batman, got it the first time it was on sale for 50% off. I didn't feel ripped off then, and you shouldn't now for less than $10.

I do feel like Civ V is not a deal what so ever. It has been cheaper on at Amazon, Best Buy, and D2D. There isn't any excuse why it is only 25% off. Looks like I won't be getting it late next year when it's cheaper.

I nabbed FO:UC and Tropico 3 Gold. I already got Dragon Age Awakening retail for $10 w/ free shipping. Thanks EA! :D

[quote name='TestType']Thanks for the heads up. I despise both Securom and GFWL and wowed to avoid all games with them unless *maybe* if they are dirt cheap. I was halfway convincing myself to get the game on account of how great it supposedly is even though it has not one but two awful DRM's on top of Steam. Still, the securom activation has a monthly refresh and the GFWL key is SSA from what I read, so it's somewhat tolerable, but only on account of the supposed greatness of the game.

I'm ordering parts for a new PC this week, including an AMD card, so I won't be able to enjoy the physX goodies, although I don't mind that so much. However I do have an xbox 360 controller to play with.
Unskippable videos at the beginning of games are a huge annoyance, no way of disabling them in a config file or something? Anybody know?

Still on the fence with this one, but mostly because of my dislike for DRM other than Steam.[/QUOTE]

the game is fantastic. if you enjoy video games get it. Some people just prefer complaining about largely miniscule issues. The games looks fantiastic and I run an amd card. the pyhx differences arent game changing in the least, theyre mostly extra papers blwoing around and things like that. there are comparitive screen shots floating around the internet.

I preferred the speed of the camera controls when using the mouse, though I played the majority of the game with a controller.

For the price I cant understand not experiencing one of the really great games of the last few years because of some excessivley complained about faults.

I thought Batman was a top 3 game I played last year. I thought it was fantastic and I can't wait to see what's next. SecuROM would be enough to stop me from getting it on PC, so I understand.

[quote name='iso135']Thanks. So the official xbox 360 WIRED controller works with PC out of box? Should I consider the WIRELESS one with the adapter?[/QUOTE]
Yes, the wired one is plug & play on Windows.

[quote name='FurryCurry']How are the first two Red Faction games? Worth it at $2.50 a piece?[/QUOTE]
RF1: Standard FPS from the 90's. The destructive environments aren't very well utilized, and is pretty much forgotten after the first couple of levels. There are some fun vehicle parts to keep things a little fresh, and the boss battles can be a little challenging. It's a short game though (I beat it in around 6 hours on normal)

RF2: It's probably the worst in the series. There's really nothing here except shooting - non-stop shooting. The enemies aren't very varied, and the game's incredibly short (beat it in around 3 hours on medium). It feels very arcade-ish, and you can tell it's a simple console port.

I already have the original Dragon Age, but it is a boxed copy. Is it worth it to re-buy the complete for $24.99 for the extra DLC and to get it all on steam or should i just buy the expansion for $14.99?

Would've gotten Batman, but I picked up a couple Prince Of Persia games earlier in the week, and the gameplay is just too similar....

[quote name='Jorbi']Would've gotten Batman, but I picked up a couple Prince Of Persia games earlier in the week, and the gameplay is just too similar....[/QUOTE]
WTF?
No, if that's what you think then go buy Batman because you're wrong

You might as well have said "I don't need Need for Speed Hot Pursuit because I got Tetris a few days back"

Man still mulling over Dragon Age! This is my price but I wonder if by the time 2 is released (and I play 1) will it get to $20. I really shouldn't quibble over $5 but hey I'm a CAG. Plus I have more than enough games to last me.I can tell you this if I miss it today I probably won't be able to resist an encore if that happens at the end of the sale.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Man still mulling over Dragon Age! This is my price but I wonder if by the time 2 is released (and I play 1) will it get to $20. I really shouldn't quibble over $5 but hey I'm a CAG. Plus I have more than enough games to last me.I can tell you this if I miss it today I probably won't be able to resist an encore if that happens at the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

Except DA is imo better than any of the games you already have. GotY in '10.

I just hit up goHastings and picked up TWO NEW wired black Xbox 360 controllers for 20 each. Was 45 total for two after shipping.

Seemed like a pretty good deal, particularly with Amazon selling them for $30 each!

[quote name='Lanman']I just hit up goHastings and picked up TWO NEW wired black Xbox 360 controllers for 20 each. Was 45 total for two after shipping.

Seemed like a pretty good deal, particularly with Amazon selling them for $30 each![/QUOTE]

GoHastings quite reputable? I need a wired controller myself, and would certainly pick one up for that price.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Man still mulling over Dragon Age! This is my price but I wonder if by the time 2 is released (and I play 1) will it get to $20. I really shouldn't quibble over $5 but hey I'm a CAG. Plus I have more than enough games to last me.I can tell you this if I miss it today I probably won't be able to resist an encore if that happens at the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

wait for the encore then, if its not there then wait it out.

[quote name='fastitocalon']Except DA is imo better than any of the games you already have. GotY in '10.[/QUOTE]
Except it came out in 2009 ;)

Dragon Age too similar to Mass Effect games - gotta play them first.
Grabbed the Flatout collection for $3.75. Done.
New daily deals in 20 mins.

still highly recommend the Monkey Island Pack and Batman: AA if you don't have and haven't played either of those. Batman: AA, if anything from this sale.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']I honestly don't get why people are so "rebellious" against DRM. I mean what are the chances you're going to need to install it on 4 or more machines anyhow?[/QUOTE]

Not four or machines, but 4 or more installations. That means if you reformat your harddrive, or you install a mod that corrupts your game, you gotta reinstall. There are many games that I have installed more than 4 times, over the years, some as many as 10 times. Examples... Duke Nukem, Age of Empires 2, Deus Ex, Quake, Diablo II, Thief. DRM ruins PC gaming, and I refuse to buy games that I don't own. THerefore, I have never bought a game with install limits. I will not buy a game that in a few years I won't be able to play anymore. Its no longer a purchase, but a extended rental.

The worst part about this DRM is that it doesnt work. GO to any torrent site and you will find your favorite DRM less games, many are cracked before their official release dates. DRM... making piracy a better choice than supporting the developers.

[quote name='iso135']GoHastings quite reputable? I need a wired controller myself, and would certainly pick one up for that price.[/QUOTE]

My first order with them was about a week ago for a 360 wired black controller for $20... it came 2 days before Christmas and it was exactly what I ordered and I love it...

Wonder what will pop up today for dirt cheap

i would jump for $15, but i'm not sure it would go that low. and da 2 comes out in march 2011? so thats only like 3 months, and i'm pretty sure i won't even touch da ult if i bought it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back