Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sublime90']i have both FEAR games and for 5 bucks you cant go wrong. there pretty fun shooters.

i see lara croft is only $5.10!!! i was literally about to buy it earlier for $7.50, im buying it now.

im wondering about AC2 for $15......should i?[/QUOTE]

I think the game itself is worth $15 but you may want to do some research about the atrocious DRM before you buy it.

[quote name='sublime90']i have both FEAR games and for 5 bucks you cant go wrong. there pretty fun shooters.

i see lara croft is only $5.10!!! i was literally about to buy it earlier for $7.50, im buying it now.

im wondering about AC2 for $15......should i?[/QUOTE]

I loved AC2 for the 360, playing through Brotherhood right now. Good series, I'd say buy it. :)

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Is anybody else's steam downloading at retarded speeds? I'm downloading the Wings of Prey demo and it's topping out at 350 kbps whereas I usually get 1.5 mbps.[/QUOTE]

That will happen many times when there are sales. I usually switch to another country under Steam > settings > Downloads + cloud > Download Region

Currently using Ireland I think? Not getting a great speed so I will probably switch to UK Manchester or London.

I know this is off the wall but has anyone ever seen a Pop Cap pack or Plants vs Zombies go below 5 bucks? I have a decision to make on the D2D deal on PvZ for $4 but was trying to hold out for Steam. D2D sale ends tomorrow.

hmmmmm for $17.50 i can get AC2 deluxe edition. im very tempted. is it the crappy DRM where you need a constant internet connection to play? i have AC1 and only played like 20% of it and stopped but i hear great things about AC2. Gamefly has AC2 on the 360 for 20 bucks free shipping but id love to be playing it in like an hour. choices choices

[quote name='sublime90']hmmmmm for $17.50 i can get AC2 deluxe edition. im very tempted. is it the crappy DRM where you need a constant internet connection to play? i have AC1 and only played like 20% of it and stopped but i hear great things about AC2. Gamefly has AC2 on the 360 for 20 bucks free shipping but id love to be playing it in like an hour. choices choices[/QUOTE]

Yes it's that DRM.

Is it worth it to rebuy Battlefield BC2 when I bought the digital copy from the EA Store for $20 a month after launch so that it's tied to my steam account?

Hmm...tempted by SMB again. Any recommendations considering that I'll be playing with the keyboard and not a 360 controller? Bit upset there isn't a demo I can check out.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I know this is off the wall but has anyone ever seen a Pop Cap pack or Plants vs Zombies go below 5 bucks? I have a decision to make on the D2D deal on PvZ for $4 but was trying to hold out for Steam. D2D sale ends tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure PvZ has never gone below $5 on sale through Steam. So if you're interested in it, go for it. It's a very fun game, even though I prefer Defense Grid now for my Tower Defense tastes :)

Would have been nice to get some new deals but I'm glad I got a second chance on Super Meatboy for 3.75. I passed on it previously since I had it on 360 but regretted it when the sale ended.

The game is so timeless, glad to lock it on my steam account for so cheap.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I know this is off the wall but has anyone ever seen a Pop Cap pack or Plants vs Zombies go below 5 bucks? I have a decision to make on the D2D deal on PvZ for $4 but was trying to hold out for Steam. D2D sale ends tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing but I decided to get it from D2D rather than waiting to see if it would be cheaper on steam worth the 5 bucks great game.

[quote name='bigant262']Is the Fear pack worth 10 bucks? I played the 1st Fear multiplayer and really liked it. Does anyone still play it?[/QUOTE]

Never played multiplayer for the FEAR games so I can't comment on the community size. However, you may want to check the FEAR steam forum, because there was something I recalled reading on there about how Steam users who purchased the first game with its two expansions couldn't play with other users who had purchased the retail box version. IIRC, this mainly applied to the perseus mandate weapons on multiplayer. That's all I can remember.

For single player, I really enjoyed both the first game and the second one. I never played the expansions since they weren't made by the same studio as the original and its sequel, and thus their storylines aren't considered part of the cannon, so I can't comment on their quality. The only weakness that the first game has is that it can get a little bit boring constantly going through offices for each level, although it really ramps up at the end. The second one was a little bit easier in terms of weapons and ammo, but nonetheless, I enjoyed both for the creepy atmosphere they provide and how you will sometimes question what's real and what's not.

They are probably doing a best of for the previous weeks sales cause this holiday sale goes for 2 weeks instead of the 10 days it was last year.

[quote name='The Nephilim']What's going on? Why is it a repeat of stuff? *sad*[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually refreshed the webpage, wondering if my browser was hung up.

[quote name='RavenousBear']Does anyone know if you can still purchase LC&TGoL for $3.60 (instead of $5.10) if you already own a Tomb Raider game?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you cannot.

Does anyone have an opinion on tank universal? Its one of the 150+ indie games, its got a heavy tron feel, but I wanted to know if any had the full game to give an opinion on.

Since no one answered this a few pages ago, I was wondering if the FEAR games had subtitles? The first one doesn't on the 360, so I was wondering if it was any different on the PC. Thanks to anyone that can answer this question.

[quote name='eagles5769']Is it worth it to rebuy Battlefield BC2 when I bought the digital copy from the EA Store for $20 a month after launch so that it's tied to my steam account?[/QUOTE]

IMHO no. You can add the Executable to your BC2 in steam so your steam friends can see when you are on and the game can be launched in the Steam browser.There aren't any steam achievements either. I bought this game Day 1 retail price and no way am I paying just to have it in Steam.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Does anyone have an opinion on tank universal? Its one of the 150+ indie games, its got a heavy tron feel, but I wanted to know if any had the full game to give an opinion on.[/QUOTE]

I didn't find it to be very fun.

I hope the rest isn't all repeats. It's great for those who missed the first round, but the rest of us get tempted again. >.<

Looking through the specials list...
I noticed MDK2 is $5. It's awesome, for those on the fence. Never played the first one, but the 2-pack is $7.49.
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble...WTF!? The "trailer" is atrocious.

Of course there are repeats. It's Sunday. This is for those people who didn't realize how great a deal BFBC2, Lara Croft, SMB, or even the ME if you don't already own them were. I admit, this is an appropriate sale for the day after Christmas, when you wake up and you mosey around and you realize you've got no presents left to unwrap.

Then you come to Steam and you realize you've gotten all the great deals you wanted and you've got no presents to unwrap.

Then you go to the fridge and you realize, you've got lots of awesome food left to eat. And you forget all about those presents and those Steam sales you already bought. Cuz you're stuffin' your face.

i did some reading up and i bit on AC2 DE. seeing that i rarely lose my internet connection that DRM shouldnt be to much of an issue at all. plus it comes with both the DLC's i just couldn't resist. i love steam

Anyone know of any cheap / on sale games that don't require a lot to run? If it can use controllers, even better.
My laptop is just above a regular netbook. I got SMB and both Humble Bundles if you suggest anything from it.

[quote name='selits']convinced myself not to buy BC2 the first time it was up but knew if it went up as a repeat I'd purchase it..

damn you steam![/QUOTE]
same here with SMB

[quote name='Wargamer']Anyone know of any cheap / on sale games that don't require a lot to run? If it can use controllers, even better.
My laptop is just above a regular netbook. I got SMB and both Humble Bundles if you suggest anything from it.[/QUOTE]
Torchlight
It's 4.99, has a notebook mode, and it's fantastic

For anyone still on the fence:

Borderlands GOTY, if FPS with a splash of RPG is your thing, is totally worth $25.
The Witcher, for good, good story (the combat mechanics aren't too bad), is easily worth $5.
Mass Effect 2, should you also not have it, is also a good deal for $10. (More shooter.)
Mass Effect (1), though decent at $10, was $5 last New Years - still good, though. :p (More RPG.)
Modern Warfare 2 costs too much. $30? The lowest I've seen on it, though, on Steam. :/

Last but not least...

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH $7.

I played through the campaign, and it was alright. Decent mechanics, lackluster story - pretty on par for a shooter story.

But go online. Play ranked matches (unranked doesn't save exp and unlocks). It's *fantastic* online, and so far as I can see, still have a pretty vibrant community. I've sunk six hours in the past two days (also splitting time between it and WoW... :p) and it's been a blast the entire time.

So...hooray! Super Meat Boy for me, since my friend recommended it for the humor.

[quote name='aeris']This is sad, repeat deals on boxing day, really, and no cricket bundle? Wow...[/QUOTE]

It makes sense, Boxing day is supposed to be when you play all of your acquired booty. :bouncy:

To anyone considering the mass effect series:

Lucky for me, there were multiple people here recommending buying both ME's for $20 a few days ago for that sale. My thought is this, if you plan on playing the games anytime soon you might as well pay the 5 extra dollars for ME1 and play it. If however, you are adding it to a backlog I suppose I would recommend waiting.

Nonetheless, I bought both for 20, and have already sunk 7 hours into ME1. It is awesome, and I have NO regrets on spending 10 for it. I am happy as could be to be playing both for 20, and can already say that game-play wise ME1 is worth retail in my opinion, let alone 10 dollars.

[quote name='Jaysonguy'][quote name='Wargamer']Anyone know of any cheap / on sale games that don't require a lot to run? If it can use controllers, even better.
My laptop is just above a regular netbook. I got SMB and both Humble Bundles if you suggest anything from it.[/QUOTE]Torchlight
It's 4.99, has a notebook mode, and it's fantastic[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've played the demo. But with the sequel coming in the summer, I am on the fence.

Damn you Steam. I decided to skip SMB the first time because I figured I would just get the potato pack, but now it's up on sale again. So are we sure the potato pack is going to be up sometime before the sale ends? Could someone please just telll me to calm down and wait it out? I don't know if I can keep waiting much longer.

[quote name='ericpol']same here with SMB[/QUOTE]

I want to get SMB but I'm more then willing to wait and see if there really is a Indie Potato Pack as I am in no rush to play SMB with my backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back