Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='thetruelokre']so, would 2 make a decent blind buy? i picked up 1, and will probably buy iron aces 3 before the end of the sale since the save can transfer from victoria into iron aces. But if 2 seems like a decent deal at 12, i may "bite the bullet" and pick it up[/QUOTE]

Victoria 2 has been refined since release, definitely worth owning at this point. At that price it's a steal. Game is beautiful, and the gameplay is engrossing. I can't wait for the first expansion. :)

[quote name='Wargamer']I have 64 bit Windows 7, care to explain this? I am downloading the game now.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, interestingly enough - The movies now work fine on my Windows 7 64-bit OS. 100% full game working for me without movies disabled. Maybe Bioware released a patch for Steam. ? Whatever happened, it's working great now.

If it's still not working for you, here's how to fix it:

KOTOR has a graphical options dialog outside of the game. You have to access it from the startmenu selection for KOTOR. You check "Disable Movies" there.

I don't know, I won Killing Floor in a contest somewhere and I never could get into it. I don't know why people think it's better than the L4D's... =/

Maybe I'm not in the right type of lobby or something...someone want to suggest me something to play in that game?

Also, I have a prediction: one of these days there is going to be a massive blowout sale and it's going to include that Potato Pack that everyone keeps mentioning, Valve pack for $25, and all sorts of other awesome deals.

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']Victoria 2 has been refined since release, definitely worth owning at this point. At that price it's a steal. Game is beautiful, and the gameplay is engrossing. I can't wait for the first expansion. :)[/QUOTE]

aaaaaand this makes the 5th or 6th massive strategy game i've bought in this sale

heh, i watched a video review and i was hooked. skipping serious sam and will probably skip hearts of iron 3 at this point, thanks for the heads up though

[quote name='jazyje']KOTOR is a must at this price. Machinarium is a rip-off considering it's just a tiny FLASH-based game..... Not buying anything today, going to spend $12 on Mafia II from amazon instead... :)[/QUOTE]

I agree on KOTOR..and for the record, I have played it for an hour or two on Windows 7 with no problems at all. I cannot remember if I put in a batch file that kills explorer when the game boots or not, but I know that would be the extent of what I did to boot the game. I may not have done anything at all. I do not own it on Steam though, but am considering picking it up for the sale price so I have it on Steam. I doubt there is any real Steam integration, but it will be nice to have it tied to my account at least.

I can't agree on your view of Machinarium though. Flash or not, it is worth $3 easily. It's three bucks people, it is hard to classify a quality game as a rip-off at this price point, regardless of your views on Flash games or not.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Yup. It was originally meant to come out on Steam years ago, and I believe in even publicly appeared in the "coming soon" section for a while, but it got caught up in the legal problems between Wizards of the Coast and Atari. That's all finally been sorted now (which also cleared the way for all the D&D releases on GOG), hence, the game is finally on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Have you heard anything about:
1) Why GOG has NWN 1, Baldur's 1/2 and Icewind Dale 1/2 but not Steam?
2) Why Steam has NWN 2 but not GOG?

I bought NWN 1 from GOG and would like to wait to get NWN 2 from them also, but if Steam has an exclusive on NWN 2 for a while then might just pick it up now while it is 50% off (which is the same as the GOG normal prices).

[quote name='Wolfmight']Hmmm, interestingly enough - The movies now work fine on my Windows 7 64-bit OS. 100% full game working for me without movies disabled. Maybe Bioware released a patch for Steam. ? Whatever happened, it's working great now.

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear that, since I have yet to install it on Win 7 64 bit. :)

Echoing some comments about KOTOR:

The only reason to skip at this price is if...
a) You already own it.
b) You are waiting for a Lucasarts Complete Pack.

I suppose there may be a "c)" if you're some self-hating CAG who insists on playing an hour of "Big Mutha Truckers" as punishment for every dollar spent above "free".

But there is only one of those unfortunate souls in existence. (Yes, I'm looking at you.)

I played KOTOR on Vista without any movie problems. This was a from a retail disc, not Steam, and I did use a no-cd patch so I wouldn't have to disc-swap all the time. I'm pretty sure I ran it once before applying the patch and didn't have any problems, so some people just get lucky.

How compatible is KOTOR with the 360 controller? Or is it one of those games where PC versions are just keyboard/mouse focused unlike their console counterparts.

[quote name='Takeda Kenshi']Well those reviews suck ass. Trust me, it's well worth getting to know the games. Excellent mods available for the first Victoria, and Victoria 2 is coming along nicely. Very deep and fun games to play. Highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

The reviews all said the game is amazing, they just pointed out that it takes 2 or 3 hours to learn how to play the game. They look like amazing games id love...but not sure I want to go through that much of a tutorial.

[quote name='Wolfmight']Hmmm, interestingly enough - The movies now work fine on my Windows 7 64-bit OS. 100% full game working for me without movies disabled. Maybe Bioware released a patch for Steam. ? Whatever happened, it's working great now.[/QUOTE]

I can also vouch for this. Installed and played just fine on Win 7 x64 here a couple months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wargamer']How compatible is KOTOR with the 360 controller? Or is it one of those games where PC versions are just keyboard/mouse focused unlike their console counterparts.[/QUOTE]

I played it with a keyboard and mouse and couldn't imagine it being played any other way (I know it came out for the Xbox, but you'd definitely want to be playing it on KB/M for the version on the PC - not sure what interface tweaks were made for Xbox).

I got Machinarium as part of the humble indie bundle and i've got to say it's def worth the 3 bucks. The controls are a tad wonky but I think you'll get used to it. The scenery and music, just the whole atmosphere of it makes it worth it. If you want to call it a "rip-off flash based game" then what about super meat boy or limbo?

I found machinarium to be a fantastic game, an improvement over samorost 1/2, with better puzzles than most point and click adventures and a surprisingly well told story.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']1) Why GOG has NWN 1, Baldur's 1/2 and Icewind Dale 1/2 but not Steam?[/quote]
I dunno, ask Atari.

2) Why Steam has NWN 2 but not GOG?
Because Atari wants to sell it for more than $10, which is the maximum price on GOG.

[quote name='Newl']I got Machinarium as part of the humble indie bundle and i've got to say it's def worth the 3 bucks. The controls are a tad wonky but I think you'll get used to it. The scenery and music, just the whole atmosphere of it makes it worth it. If you want to call it a "rip-off flash based game" then what about super meat boy or limbo?[/QUOTE]

Machinarium is composed of a lot of really great artistic elements, I would say that the the soundtrack alone is easily worth $3. I think I paid $15 for the game + OST from their website, and I was more than happy to buy it again from steam. Now if only steam would keep track of my OST too.

So for my past couple days...

I do love monkey island, but I passed on buying what would probably be like my fifth copy of part 1, and I already have 1 and 2 in SE anyhow.

They pulled a classic move on me today though. Maybe 12 hours before it went on daily deal, I bought Serious Sam: Second Encounter HD. I don't know if I'd want to play all the single player stuff, so I can see why it might feel like a chore in that context, but they're terrific LAN party games. They were back in the day when they were new, and they're still pretty great now - No regrets here about paying an extra dollar to spend 8 hours this morning playing through SS:SE with pals.

I idly considered getting bad company 2 on sale, or blue murders, but came home and fell asleep and doubt I'll really miss having yet another title in my steam catalog I'm not playing.

As for today, nothing new for me. I'd totally recommend sam if you've got folks to play with (obviously), and I've already got the other items I'd find tempting today.

Hey fellas. I have three copies of Serious Sam HD the First Encounter that I need to get rid of. If you're interested, PM me so we can arrange some sort of deal or trade.

[quote name='rybrad']How is Neverwinter Nights 2? If you don't understand all the D&D ruleset crap does the game suck?[/QUOTE]
No, the D&D rules are streamlined and behind the scenes, so you don't need to understand any of it. You just do your typical leveling up, skill assigning, etc, although there might be some unfamiliar/slightly different aspects. It's easy to get used to, anyway.
If you've ever played Baldur's Gate (NWN was originally planned as a sequel), it's a little like that but full 3D and third person, as opposed to isometric.

[quote name='rybrad']How is Neverwinter Nights 2? If you don't understand all the D&D ruleset crap does the game suck?[/QUOTE]

NWN2 is a decent game. Not the best, but even if you're not totally familiar with the rule sets, you might find it enjoyable. At the beginning, it'll just amount to "What is this and what does it do?" eventually, you'll figure out the most important parts.

What exactly is this Potato pack that everyone keeps mentioning? I haven't been keeping up with the SPUF or this thread the past few days.

Finally pulled the trigger on Killing Floor, and glad I did.
Great little game, and a great community; they were handing me money, weapons, and advice. Had a good time.
Well worth the $5.

[quote name='Genocidal']What exactly is this Potato pack that everyone keeps mentioning? I haven't been keeping up with the SPUF or this thread the past few days.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']...
Indie Potato Pack (yes, that's what it's called, don't ask me): AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Audiosurf, Bit.Trip Beat, Braid, Cogs, Defense Grid, Killing Floor, Red Orchestra, Super Meat Boy, The Ball, The Wonderful End of the world, Toki Tori...[/QUOTE]

So, I feel like I have heard mixed things about Mirror's Edge. The only two games I am considering today are Mirror's Edge and Serious Sam (already own KotOR and Machinarium).

Any more input on Mirror's Edge? A good pick up for a quick 5 dollar game?

[quote name='Genocidal']Thanks, shame that I already own 9 games out of it :\[/QUOTE]

I only own one, Braid. If that pack comes for $20 as has been speculated, would you recommend it?

Nothing for me today. Already own the ones I'm interested in. (Mirror's Edge, KOTOR, Mechanarium, Street Fighter IV) BTW, SFIV is much more than last year. I think it was $10.

I know it's not exactly in the festive spirit, but I've been waiting forever for a deal on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Anyone know if it's been on sale before?

[quote name='wedge119']Finally pulled the trigger on Killing Floor, and glad I did.
Great little game, and a great community; they were handing me money, weapons, and advice. Had a good time.
Well worth the $5.[/QUOTE]

You said it, I've had the game for a few weeks and regret not picking it up a long time ago...

[quote name='iso135']So, I feel like I have heard mixed things about Mirror's Edge. The only two games I am considering today are Mirror's Edge and Serious Sam (already own KotOR and Machinarium).

Any more input on Mirror's Edge? A good pick up for a quick 5 dollar game?[/QUOTE]

I'll just reiterate what I've said before in the thread. There are some big things that bring down Mirror's Edge (combat is a bit awkward, story is a little light, cutscenes are... Distracting...) but aside from that, it's in my top ten games of all time list. The city-scape is so beautiful and vibrant, which helps drive the idea that the government in the game is trying to hide all the dirt and grime and life which makes a world real. The free-running is amazing and you get a great sense of speed. It's a bit biased since I love the game so much and look past it's flaws, but for $5, it's definitely worth it in my eyes.

[quote name='darjeeling']I know it's not exactly in the festive spirit, but I've been waiting forever for a deal on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Anyone know if it's been on sale before?[/QUOTE]

Once, not this past Halloween but the one before it. I was a bit miffed it wasn't on sale this last Halloween as I missed it before.

[quote name='Vulgarism']I'll just reiterate what I've said before in the thread. There are some big things that bring down Mirror's Edge (combat is a bit awkward, story is a little light, cutscenes are... Distracting...) but aside from that, it's in my top ten games of all time list. The city-scape is so beautiful and vibrant, which helps drive the idea that the government in the game is trying to hide all the dirt and grime and life which makes a world real. The free-running is amazing and you get a great sense of speed. It's a bit biased since I love the game so much and look past it's flaws, but for $5, it's definitely worth it in my eyes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, even if you are biased, your "top ten of all-time" has to be equal to my "worth 5 bucks". I watched a couple of game-play vids, and it looks like a good change of pace.

[quote name='darjeeling']I know it's not exactly in the festive spirit, but I've been waiting forever for a deal on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Anyone know if it's been on sale before?[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting on this as well so I can stop using my disc copy.

[quote name='AXV1']I'm thinking about getting KOTOR[/QUOTE]

Buy it man you won't regret it 2.49 is a steal for that game!

Still heavily considering NWN 2 I just want to make sure it's not a mess like the Oddbox.

Has anyone been able to install and play the Steam version yet?

Torn on NWN2. On one hand, I bought it AND MotB retail when they first came out (never beat MotB due to...laptop issues). On the other hand, I can't seem to find either key.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Is KOTOR worth playing if I mainly like RPGs in the style of Fallout 3/NV, Oblivion, and Mass Effect?[/QUOTE]

OMG yes! It's a no brainer. Pull the trigger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back