Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DirkBelig']Anyone remember Triton Games? If they do, it's only for one reason: They went out of business leaving "owners" of Prey high and dry because the way the DRM worked was they held the .EXE hostage, only feeding it to certified customers. 3D Realms made good on it by shipping a PHYSICAL COPY to all the owners.

Now, Steam is in a great spot with a loyal user base. So effing what? AOL was once so powerful that it bought Time-Warner. That worked out. While watching The Social Network, my girlfriend remarked, "I wonder why the guys who started Friendster think about this?" I replied, "How does Tom [MySpace] feel about it?" Being #1 is only applicable as long as you're #1.

As for Gabe Newell, you're kidding, right? That fat fucking liar PROMISED that Half-Life 2 would ship on Sept. 30, 2003. Bank on it, he said in PC Gamer. I built a new computer in August that year in preparation for the sequel to my favorite game ever. Yes, I did and I'd already upgraded the video TWICE by the time the game actually arrived in November 2004. Newell was lying his fat ass off about the game hitting the deadline up until the day it missed. They tried to use the hacking of their network and the ganking of the code as an excuse, but as the stolen code showed, it was nowhere near finished and years later, Tubby McLiarpantsonfire admitted as much.

While I'm kicking Jabba the Developer in the junk, WHERE THE fuck IS OUR HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE THREE, MOTHERfuckER?!?!? It's been three years since Ep. 2 and Valve hasn't even seen fit to explain why their failed episodic content strategy hasn't been wrapped up with the conclusion yet. They wandered off and made a couple of zombie cash cows and are teasing us with Portal 2: More Cake For You as if that makes the fact that they lied and failed on their flagship franchise go away.

The whole thing was predicated on the idea that they could put out three short episodes in less time than one complete game. Yeah, that worked. They got a whole one more episode done than they did with SiN: Episodes. Remember that rousing success, er, total failure? A game that shipped with a AI bug that made it nearly impossible to beat after the 2/3rds mark. I was reviewing the game for a site and was on a deadline and was forced to God Mode the last third to make it. After filing the review, they announced, "Whoops, we screwed up. Here's a patch," forcing us to yank down the review so I could replay the ending and update the copy. Jerks. They planned nine episodes and came up 8-1/2 short.

It's not that I hate Steam or Valve - though Gabe can choke on a donkey for all I care - but just want to remind people of the veracity of who we're patronizing. Valve are proven, repeated liars, so if you're relying on the word of Gabe "When's lunch?" Newell to keep you from being screwed over, you'd better be making offline backups of everything you bought.[/QUOTE]

While we're on the subject, I'm also mad at McDonald's for re-releasing the McRib. I ate McRibs annually since I was a little kid under the pretense that I would be able to eventually die of a coronary with a McRib on my breath, only to be crushed last year when Ronnie didn't bring back the promise of sweet barbecuey death. I ended up eating my weight in lard (324 lbs!!!!) under the assumption that MickeyD's wouldn't be able to follow through on the promise they only made to me personally in my head, only to find out last week that my Ribby buddy was BACK this year! fucking assholes, NOW IM TOO fuckING FAT TO GET OFF THE COUCH AND GET ONE!!!! fuck YOU MCDONALDS. I made life commitments you had no idea about that relied completely on your unreasonably assumed compliance in, and you betrayed me. BETRAYED ME! fuck YOU FOR MAKING THINGS I LIKE AND TAKING TIME TO MAKE THEM THE RIGHT WAY, MC DONALDS. fuck YOU FOREVER

[quote name='gunstar808']Aren't we all tho ;)

But seriously, how is Gabe's weight relevant to any argument regarding Valve? And why does that always come up?

-[/QUOTE]

Because people realize that they really have no basis for their argument and since Gabe is somewhat the face of Valve, they reduce themselves to name calling as a workaround.

Can everyone just get off their soap box and get back to chatting about deals? We get it some don't like steam, drm, or non-physical copies. Please don't come in and stomp on our sand castle.

Gabe is a Microsoft millionaire from back in the day, Steam is going nowhere.

That being said, Im worried I might not get Metro at a highly discounted price with only 2 days left in the sale

[quote name='Kuma']That being said, Im worried I might not get Metro at a highly discounted price with only 2 days left in the sale[/QUOTE]

I doubt they'll do better than the $10 they had it for a few days ago.

[quote name='DirkBelig']Anyone remember Triton Games? If they do, it's only for one reason: They went out of business leaving "owners" of Prey high and dry because the way the DRM worked was they held the .EXE hostage, only feeding it to certified customers. 3D Realms made good on it by shipping a PHYSICAL COPY to all the owners.

Now, Steam is in a great spot with a loyal user base. So effing what? AOL was once so powerful that it bought Time-Warner. That worked out. While watching The Social Network, my girlfriend remarked, "I wonder why the guys who started Friendster think about this?" I replied, "How does Tom [MySpace] feel about it?" Being #1 is only applicable as long as you're #1.

As for Gabe Newell, you're kidding, right? That fat fucking liar PROMISED that Half-Life 2 would ship on Sept. 30, 2003. Bank on it, he said in PC Gamer. I built a new computer in August that year in preparation for the sequel to my favorite game ever. Yes, I did and I'd already upgraded the video TWICE by the time the game actually arrived in November 2004. Newell was lying his fat ass off about the game hitting the deadline up until the day it missed. They tried to use the hacking of their network and the ganking of the code as an excuse, but as the stolen code showed, it was nowhere near finished and years later, Tubby McLiarpantsonfire admitted as much.

While I'm kicking Jabba the Developer in the junk, WHERE THE fuck IS OUR HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE THREE, MOTHERfuckER?!?!? It's been three years since Ep. 2 and Valve hasn't even seen fit to explain why their failed episodic content strategy hasn't been wrapped up with the conclusion yet. They wandered off and made a couple of zombie cash cows and are teasing us with Portal 2: More Cake For You as if that makes the fact that they lied and failed on their flagship franchise go away.

The whole thing was predicated on the idea that they could put out three short episodes in less time than one complete game. Yeah, that worked. They got a whole one more episode done than they did with SiN: Episodes. Remember that rousing success, er, total failure? A game that shipped with a AI bug that made it nearly impossible to beat after the 2/3rds mark. I was reviewing the game for a site and was on a deadline and was forced to God Mode the last third to make it. After filing the review, they announced, "Whoops, we screwed up. Here's a patch," forcing us to yank down the review so I could replay the ending and update the copy. Jerks. They planned nine episodes and came up 8-1/2 short.

It's not that I hate Steam or Valve - though Gabe can choke on a donkey for all I care - but just want to remind people of the veracity of who we're patronizing. Valve are proven, repeated liars, so if you're relying on the word of Gabe "When's lunch?" Newell to keep you from being screwed over, you'd better be making offline backups of everything you bought.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you really took Steam-hating to the extreme. We get it. Gabe Newell is overweight. I don't think that's relevant to a discussion about Valve or the Steam service. Unless you're trying to connect his supposed overeating with Valve going business in some future scenario? If so, I didn't see the logic. Also, "Jabba the Developer?" Really? Come on, you could have done better, right?

Did you actually blame Valve for Sin Episodes not doing well after the first episode flopped and the developer (re: not Valve) went out of business because they didn't get the money they needed after their first episode was buggy and generic. Believe it or not, making the villainess hot with large breasts against a stereotypical hero aided by a reasonably hot chick assistant is NOT enough to make a game a hit. Not Valve's fault.

I think Half-Life 2 Episodes did not work out as they'd hoped. They were always a slow developer, though. Half-Life, Half-LIfe 2, Team Fortress 2, Episode 1 and 2, they were all delayed. Some heavily. That Episode 3 is nowhere to be seen, well I'm not surprised. If I had my preference, I'd certainly wish them to move onto Half-Life 3. They might have. We won't know, will we? But Valve is hardly the first, only, or even the last developer to miss their target date, even by a year or more. 3dRealms (so far) has been ten years late? More? id's guilty of it. Remedy did it with Max Payne and then with Alan Wake. They miss the release date. That's not a crime. You built a computer around Half-Life 2's release date. Boo hoo. Pity those who built computers for DNF or Alan Wake. Especially the latter.

TL,DR; Valve's actions as a developer are no worse with regards to release dates than other developers in the same industry. Gabe is chubby. Valve didn't make Sin. Hating Steam is fine, but hating Steam because of what Valve did with its games or what its figurehead does with a sandwich, well that's a bias most people aren't going to see the point of.

Steam is the biggest player in digital distribution of PC games. They have done nothing but what they've said they'd do there, adding features over time that people requested. Right now, the possibility that they might shut it all down is far away. If it did happen, they've promised to patch in a way to play the games without Steam. Everything Steam's done for the PC gaming community, I'd say I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Valve being late on delivering titles is NOT them lying to you, despite what you think. That's just business as usual of a game developer for the PC.

[quote name='DirkBelig']As for Gabe Newell, you're kidding, right? That fat fucking liar PROMISED that Half-Life 2 would ship on Sept. 30, 2003. Bank on it, he said in PC Gamer. I built a new computer in August that year in preparation for the sequel to my favorite game ever. Yes, I did and I'd already upgraded the video TWICE by the time the game actually arrived in November 2004.[/QUOTE]
A large company missed the ship date for a major title? Shocking!

[quote name='Firvagor']Ended up getting Arcadia for the awesome music and SquareLogic because I like the sudoku-ness of it.

[/QUOTE]
I got the same two for the same reasons.

[quote name='Sufuma']Just remember folks, every fat joke made about Gabe delays Episode 3 by a day.[/QUOTE]

who care since we will get Left 4 Dead 5 before HL: EP3 comes out anyway! Do more fat joke about Gabe, please! ;)

$0.49 for PB Winterbottom is an insanely good deal. One of my friends gifted me a copy and I'm thinking if one of my other friends that messaged me about it doesn't buy it by the weekend I might gift him it.

[quote name='gunstar808']Aren't we all tho ;)

But seriously, how is Gabe's weight relevant to any argument regarding Valve? And why does that always come up?

-[/QUOTE]

He is pretty nasty though.

I have really been pleased with the quality of certain Indie packs. I've only picked up 2 so far this sale (Fright and Brain) and a few from Thanksgiving (Air, Pulse, Puzzle) I wish I would have grabbed the story one with that item shop game. From what I've read that game is good. Still kicking myself.

I have been eying that 2D pack today... Played both of the demos for VVVVVV and Super Laser Racer. They are a lot of fun.

VVVVVV is like the cheaper, more retro version of Super Meat Boy. Great level design and awesome music. I think this one might be reason alone to grab the pack. I also read that there will be a v2.0 patch coming out spring next year that will add proper joypad support along with other things (possible level editor)

Super Laser Racer is a really fun top down racing game with weapons similar to Mario Kart. I know the steam page says that it has 12 tracks but I read up on it a little bit and found out there was a recently released patch that added in 12 more new tracks, multiplayer and a slew of other stuff. I don't know if the multiplayer is online or local yet. Its possible I could have misunderstood on the total # of tracks...

A lot of the lesser known indie games are still getting great support from the devs.

I like the idea of indie packs in the future. I think I am going to show my support and grab the 2D pack tomorrow.

Still holding out for that mysterious potato pack, lol :) if it ever shows... Not much time left...

[quote name='DirkBelig']
Fundamentally, I'm just bored to death of EVERY fraking thread here for EVERY game mentioned having this question bleated: "What's the DRM?"
[/QUOTE]

Fundamentally, DRM can detract from my enjoyment so it is a very important question me.

I'm fine with Steam because it doesn't have any draconian restrictions, and it adds useful features like cloud based saves/auto updates. What I don't like is when DRM is a) hard to remove b) install limits c) online log in for single player d) online log in and no cloud based saves f) deletes my save games (see people complaining about batman:aa).

It's also annoying/pointless to go through multiple DRM systems to play a single game. Hi Steam + GFWL + SecuRom in Batman: AA.

Really, it's no wonder why consoles are dominating.

This is my grand haul so far from this steam sale assuming ForbiddenX wakes up before the end of the sale to buy me a few US copies of Grand Ages, Genius and GTA IV collection. If not I'll probably pass on the GTA collection for now.

Looking forward to playing about half of them!

Children of the Nile
CivCity: Rome
Patricians and Merchants Box (DarkStar One, Patrician 3, The Great Arts race)
Hinterland
Mirror's Edge
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Overlord Complete Pack
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sim City 4 Deluxe
Sniper Elite
X-Com: UFO Defense
Swords and Soldiers HD
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Grand Ages Rome Complete Pack
Everyday Genius: Square Logic
Grand Theft Auto IV Complete pack

Edit: D: Missed some!

My haul so far:

Amnesia
Swords and Soldiers
Doom Pack
Crysis Complete
Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
Monkey Island:SE Bundle
King Arthur Pack
Humble Indie Bundle
Humble Indie Bundle 2
Recettear
Witcher - EE
Fear Complete Pack
Winterbottom
Titan Quest Gold
Super Meat Boy
Deus Ex Collection

Still on the fence for Shatter and Europa Universalis 3 Complete.

[quote name='oscargrouch']My haul so far:

Humble Indie Bundle
Humble Indie Bundle 2
[/QUOTE]

Cheating! D:

I personally put Universalis aside for the moment becuase more stuff's coming out for it, so it doesn't seem complete to me and I'd rather wait for a good complete deal than have to hope for a sale on an expansion.

[quote name='redshadow']I used to love the jokes about Gabe confusing his donuts with the build discs of HL2 and eating them. Lolololol.[/QUOTE]

The way you worded this, it sounds like he accidentally ate donuts while intending to consume the game discs. This actually makes it amusing. :D "I'll show them! Wait, these are delicious!"

[quote name='DPsycho']The way you worded this, it sounds like he accidentally ate donuts while intending to consume the game discs. This actually makes it amusing. :D "I'll show them! Wait, these are delicious!"[/QUOTE]

That is hilarious.

[quote name='crystalklear64']yea i hope theres nothing else i want, i only have 7gb left on my hdds.[/QUOTE]
You don't have to immediately download and install everything you buy, you know. Or are you just making up an excuse to stop buying stuff? In that case, carry on. :p

Winterbottom
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
SimCity 4 Deluxe
King's Bounty: Collection
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
MI:SE Bundle
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Mass Effect 2
Bully: Scholarship Edition
MLB 2k10
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
Indie Kids Pack
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition
Indie Future Pack

About 29 games for my current haul this year, just a few more days but I doubt I'll really be buying a lot anyways. Already got what I wanted so I'm a happy camper. Overall the deals were really good for me.

[quote name='crystalklear64']yea i hope theres nothing else i want, i only have 7gb left on my hdds.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing musical hard drive space over the course of this sale. I ran out of space on the first day.

My Steam folder alone is now over a TB--good thing I got myself a 2TB drive for games for my new computer. Of course, given my DSL connection and my propensity for impulse purchases, I've been downloading nonstop since the sale started and I still have about 30 gigs of game pending.

As far as the physical vs. digital and more specifically physical vs. Steam debate goes, well, I would think the previous paragraph would say enough about where I fall :)

So far

Simcity 4 Deluxe
Future Pack
Mass Effect 2
both Humble Indie Bundles
Recettear
Oddbox
Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy

Almost bought, but passed up Serious Sam HD Gold, Amnesia, Borderlands goty, and Spore.
Been thinking about the 2k mega pack, though I already have 10 of the games in it, the rest of the games in it interest me except the sports.

I should probably give props for the revelation of Everyday Genius: SquareLogic and its sale price in this thread. Bought it last evening and played it for a few hours while doing other things. It kept pulling my full attention, though. Stopped for the night when I got the 100 puzzles and 100 without mistakes achievements, will likely play it throughout the weekend between other titles.

Similar puzzles were printed in Reader's Digest for a while. I kept tearing out that page to do the 6x6 puzzle between tasks at work. Missed it once they stopped including it. For $1.50, I'm happy to have regained something similar. :D Thanks for the recommendation!

[quote name='forbiddenx']Winterbottom
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
SimCity 4 Deluxe
King's Bounty: Collection
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
Mass Effect 2
Bully: Scholarship Edition
MLB 2k10
Indie Kids Pack
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands - Digital Deluxe Edition
Indie Future Pack

About 29 games for my current haul this year, just a few more days but I doubt I'll really be buying a lot anyways. Already got what I wanted so I'm a happy camper. Overall the deals were really good for me.[/QUOTE]

I see you picked up MLB 2k10. I got it 5 or 6 months ago for the 360, but am considering getting it for pc for that price (I paid like $40). Are there any decent mods or anything?

Also, did you see MLB Front Office Manager? I know it is two years old, and received poor reviews, but for $1.00? I bought it this morning, I am going to give it a go for that price.

I'm actually a little surprised, I feel like I bought way more games than I actually did. Clears up my conscience a little when I click that ADD TO CART button..

Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition
Dead Rising 2
Plants vs. Zombies
Amnesa: The Dark Descent
Killing Floor - Outbreak Character Pack
Battlefield Bad Company 2 Standard Edition
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Mass Effect 2
Indie Fright Pack
OddBoxx
Super Meat Boy

[quote name='DPsycho']I should probably give props for the revelation of Everyday Genius: SquareLogic and its sale price in this thread. Bought it last evening and played it for a few hours while doing other things. It kept pulling my full attention, though. Stopped for the night when I got the 100 puzzles and 100 without mistakes achievements, will likely play it throughout the weekend between other titles.

Similar puzzles were printed in Reader's Digest for a while. I kept tearing out that page to do the 6x6 puzzle between tasks at work. Missed it once they stopped including it. For $1.50, I'm happy to have regained something similar. :D Thanks for the recommendation![/QUOTE]

it look alright but i won't buy it for PC though. Small puzzle game like this best played on your phone while you are on the bus or waiting in line.

While its still there.. how is Oblivion's DLC content?

I've had Oblivion since it came out, and I played it for hundreds of hours, but oddly never any of the main quest and barely any of the side quests (so many mods.. ). Never got around to Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine because after a 6 month Oblivion coma I figured I'd be better off investing my time elsewhere.

I haven't spent too much this sale:

Mafia II - Not technically from Steam sale but for $12.50 from Amazon I had to mention it.
Swords and Soldiers HD
Brothers in Arms Pack
Shank
Deathspank
Mass Effect 2 - Digital Deluxe
Lara Croft GOL
The Polynomial
Puzzle Quest
FEAR Complete Pack (NA)
Peggle Complete Pack
LEGO Batman
Super Meat Boy
JC2 DLC: Black Market Aerial Pack
JC2 Black Market Boom Pack
JC2 DLC - Chevalier Classic
JC2 DLC - Bull's Eye Assault Rifle
JC2 DLC - Monster Truck
JC2 DLC - Rico's Signature Gun

All I got so far was K&L2 and Sniper Ghost Warrior + Map Pack.

K&L2 is supposedly pretty fun in coop according to IATCG.

[quote name='helmet']While its still there.. how is Oblivion's DLC content?[/QUOTE]
Knights of the Nine adds a couple new areas and a few quests. Shivering Isles adds a huge island (accessible via portal of course) with tons of quests and stuff to do. Way more content than KotN.

On a funny side note, when my friend was installing the expansions separately in a non-Steam copy, his Shivering Isles installation messed up so the portal island was a ton of giant floating exclamation marks. A somewhat common glitch, but shouldn't happen with the bundle.

I'm really enjoying Amnesia; this is an indie game right? It's scaring me more than most horror games I've ever played. And I've played every Silent Hill/Resident Evil and a bunch others!

This one REALLY nails the atmosphere.

[quote name='Sufuma']I've been playing musical hard drive space over the course of this sale. I ran out of space on the first day.[/QUOTE]
This. Seriously.

[quote name='helmet']While its still there.. how is Oblivion's DLC content?

I've had Oblivion since it came out, and I played it for hundreds of hours, but oddly never any of the main quest and barely any of the side quests (so many mods.. ). Never got around to Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine because after a 6 month Oblivion coma I figured I'd be better off investing my time elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Since it sounds like you're already familiar with mods, I wouldn't recommend the DLC. Its good but you can get stuff thats just as good or better and with more variety from the mod community. However, the expansion Shivering Isles has some of the best environments I've seen since Morrowind and I would recommend it if you ever feel like playing Oblivion again.

Rented The IT Crowd Season/Series 4 last night. After seeing the animated menus, I immediately bought Windosill for $1.49.

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I'm really enjoying Amnesia; this is an indie game right? It's scaring me more than most horror games I've ever played. And I've played every Silent Hill/Resident Evil and a bunch others!

This one REALLY nails the atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

In Prenumbra: Overture, I waltzed right through like a boss once I figured out that I was a shovel wielding killing machine. Nothing, not even a little jump, the creepy atmosphere was completely gone, I stopped bothering with lights and sneaking. I was really concerned with getting Amnesia.

Its been a completely different experience though, and I think that overall feeling of helplessness really helps maintain the tension for me. Definitely glad I gave it a chance.

I'm was actually a little frightened to continue this morning. D:

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I'm really enjoying Amnesia; this is an indie game right? It's scaring me more than most horror games I've ever played. And I've played every Silent Hill/Resident Evil and a bunch others!

This one REALLY nails the atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to go off topic, but is that Vanquish gameplay in your sig?

You all suck. Everyone of you that recommended SquareLogic: Everyday Genius. Here I was, thinking I had picked up most everything I wanted/needed, and you go and get me to spend another $1.50. And on top of that, I'd like to demand my morning back.

*goes back to playing obsessively*

My haul so far:

Dec 27, 2010
$9.99
Purchase
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum

Dec 25, 2010
$5.39
Purchase
King Arthur Pack

Dec 22, 2010
$5.00
Purchase

Dec 21, 2010
$4.99
Purchase
Titan Quest Gold

Dec 21, 2010
$0.49
Purchase
Winterbottom

Dec 20, 2010
$26.65
Purchase
Greed Corp, Future Wars, Elven Legacy Collection, Indie Fantasy Pack, Puzzle Quest 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back