Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hilariously torn: I want good deals on games I want, but I think I've spent enough during this sale.

I'm glad I skimped all year for this. 5 minutes left.

So, I passed on SMB the first time it was on sale because I didn't yet have a controller for pc (have since ordered a wired 360 pad). The second time around I said, well, it doesn't necessarily look THAT FUN to me, so I'll wait and see if the potato pack comes. I came across the demo on 360 and downloaded it, and have since played through all 13 demo levels 2 times, and am itching for more.

Why do I do this to myself? I downloaded a demo after I turned down a game, and now we all know this potato pack isn't likely to happen. In the end I will likely buy it for double the price because I couldn't help myself but try that demo....

[quote name='loafing...']I got so caught up in the Grand Ages demo I almost missed cutoff time. Instant purchase for me.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, and with only moments to go. Good job, Mr. Loaf.

Hmm, I might grab Hitman: Blood Money for $2.50. Otherwise, there's not much here for me today.

For those that haven't played it, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin's in an excellent little game.

Holy crap......jedi knight collection, total war collection, stalker... may be my most costly day yet. Anyone have an opinion on the theater of war series?

Anyone tried Graxia ? I generally love games like MtG, Culdcept and such and at least from the pictures this looks similar. Was wondering if it was worth picking up. Otherwise nothing for me today. Same as the last 3 days.

Far Cry 2 Fortune's Edition $4.99
Dawn of Discovery $14.99
Empire & Napoleon Total War - GOTY $24.99, $19.99 if you own Medieval II or Rome
Flight Control HD $1.70
Supreme Commander 2 $3.74
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 75% off all C&C games
Guardians of Graxia $2.49
Hitman Collection $7.49
STALKER bundle $4.99
Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection $5
TF2 $5
Theatre of War 75% off

Sweet, I put Graxia on my wishlist yesterday ^^

Total War sale I've seen for far cheaper this month I believe, just a sad deal.

[quote name='Sufuma']Any opinions on Guardians of Graxia?[/QUOTE]

pretty solid game, based on a board game. Id say well worth the price. Id buy it with the map pack though.. Only downfall is no multiplayer. The developer said they would look into adding multiplayer.... dont know how likely that is though

Any opinions on TF2? I suck at FPS aiming with Mouse/Keyboard and Controllers. I prefer the latter and have a 360 wired pad but will still get clobbered online I bet, just for inferior aiming skills on top of "inferior" control preference. I hear TF2 has gone downhill and is now basically a FPS MMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flight Control HD... you MUST get this game. It is like crack! Paid full price (which wasn't much more granted) and enjoying the hell out of it.

[quote name='Pheace']Sweet, I put Graxia on my wishlist yesterday ^^

Total War sale I've seen for far cheaper this month I believe, just a sad deal.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? It's all the DLCs for both Empire and Napoleon, on top of the games themselves. I never saw that before.

Now that I look at all the offerings, I'm tempted by it >_> I only have Empire, but no DLC. I should skip today though :(

Really wanted Napoleon, but already have Empire... so guess I'm passing. :(

I'll definitely get Far Cry 2. Not sure about the others yet.

[quote name='Wargamer']Any opinions on TF2? I suck at FPS aiming with Mouse/Keyboard and Controllers. I prefer the later and have a 360 wired pad but will still get clobbered online I bet, just for inferior aiming skills on top of "inferior" control preference. I hear TF2 has gone downhill and is now basically a FPS MMO.[/QUOTE]

I personally suck at TF2 but I love it. I usually play with a couple of friends online and we find random servers to play on. I die a lot but I have a blast. There are also great little servers where you can play mods like dodgeball, I have a lot of fun with those. Worth $5... If you don't take yourself or the game too seriously, at least. :)

Well, nothing for me again. I'd love to pick up Call of Pripyat but they keep doing this bundle nonsense. Why can't they just sell both games for $2.50 individually and call it a day? I already grabbed Shadow of Chernobyl last year.

[quote name='Etae']Is any of the Command and Conquer 3:Red Alert games worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

Do you enjoy command and conquer? If so, they are all worth the price of admission. I've played through RA3 and the expansion and they are very solid.

[quote name='Teeheehee']Are you sure about that? It's all the DLCs for both Empire and Napoleon, on top of the games themselves. I never saw that before.

Now that I look at all the offerings, I'm tempted by it >_> I only have Empire, but no DLC. I should skip today though :([/QUOTE]

I *could* be mistaken on the bundle but I thought this bundle was on offer on greenmangaming this month for a lot less.

edit: Quote: "Empire and Napoleon: Total War – Game of the Year Edition for $16.66 for today only"

and the key was usable on steam, so yeah. I've seen better this month.

Far Cry 2 isn't worth it at all.

I'm extremely excited about the Jedi Knight collection - I don't care for Star Wars, but I love Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast. Also picked up the Hitman collection.. I own the discs for them, but owning them digitally will be fantastic.

[quote name='Pheace']I *could* be mistaken on the bundle but I thought this bundle was on offer on greenmangaming this month for a lot less.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, I've never heard of greenmangaming before. Oh well. I already have Rome, so it's $4 more for me. Decisions...

[quote name='therodersabides']I've never played any of the Star Wars games. Is that collection worth picking up??[/QUOTE]If you haven't played it your missing out on the best star wars games off all time, its nothing like the retarded Force Unleashed games, This is one hit with the lightsaber and their dead, or one shot from the blaster rifle there gonna go down.

[quote name='therodersabides']I've never played any of the Star Wars games. Is that collection worth picking up??[/QUOTE]
For $5? Definitely. I paid $13 something last year and love it. If you are going in for high end graphics you'll be disappointed but I really enjoyed these games. Used to play the multiplayer on these games regularly too. There are also some good mods and skin packs for some of the games too.

TF2 is very friendly to casual/new players. Obviously you always have a chance to run into jerks but there are hundreds of servers so you can enter and leave games as you wish. You don't need twitch reflexes. It's a lot of fun if you're like me and don't want to play the serious-as-a-heart-attack, super competitive online FPS games.

Also a word on the indie daily: Madballs. Nice game, good production value/polish, fun little arcade shooter with unlockable, etc. but know that the multi-player has been dead for well over a year and even when it wasn't dead it was still rare to find more than two servers up at once. Additionally, the developers have pretty much abandoned it. They used to keep it updated with weekly and monthly missions/goals to unlock new skins and such but they stopped doing that forever ago. Still for $2.50 it isn't bad if you like the game play.

[quote name='IPeePie']I might bite on the stalker bundle....
Any opinions on the stalker games?[/QUOTE]

The first is fantastic. I haven't played any of the expansions, but I assume they are good as well. For five bucks, you can't go wrong.

[quote name='zillionandnine'][quote name='Wargamer']Any opinions on TF2? I suck at FPS aiming with Mouse/Keyboard and Controllers. I prefer the latter and have a 360 wired pad but will still get clobbered online I bet, just for inferior aiming skills on top of "inferior" control preference. I hear TF2 has gone downhill and is now basically a FPS MMO.[/QUOTE]

I personally suck at TF2 but I love it. I usually play with a couple of friends online and we find random servers to play on. I die a lot but I have a blast. There are also great little servers where you can play mods like dodgeball, I have a lot of fun with those. Worth $5... If you don't take yourself or the game too seriously, at least. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, anyone else?

[quote name='Wargamer']Thanks, anyone else?[/QUOTE]

its an amazing game that I have played 200+ hours, its fast paced fun. for 5 bucks you'd have to be nuts not to buy it

[quote name='Scorch']Far Cry 2 isn't worth it at all.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say that? I have put in five hours or so on the XBox and have enjoyed it. It mixes exploration, missions, with decent FPS gameplay. Is there something different about the PC version?

[quote name='Ardrid']Well, nothing for me again. I'd love to pick up Call of Pripyat but they keep doing this bundle nonsense. Why can't they just sell both games for $2.50 individually and call it a day? I already grabbed Shadow of Chernobyl last year.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I also have the 2nd one, but have yet to touch either of them. I am going to hold out for cheaper on CoP. If I could gift the copy I already own I would be in though. From what I've read though these games are great and there is an active modding community that is updating the games after the devs abandoned them. Complete 2009 is what the mods are called I believe.

The Hitman games are great. I am actually surprised they aren't offering the Hitman bundle @ $5 with each game $2.50 separately. Since I own 1 and 2 on disc and have beaten each of them multiple times I am going to pass on the bundle, but Hitman: Blood Money will be mine :)

Tempted by Flight Control HD. The CAG community seems to like it a lot.

I am going to have to think about Farcry 2. I have read a ton of reviews on it, and I loved the first one to death, but I don't know. I know it will be cheaper in next years sale. I already have Just Cause 2 and they look similar with JC2 in the lead in terms of looking like more fun. Any thoughts on this one?

And the indie daily game Madballs looks pretty fun. I came across it a few months ago and said I'll wait for a sale. Might bite on that one as well. I've read the online community is dead though. The sale might breathe a little life into it but for how long nobody knows.

[quote name='Gycot']whoooo, I planned on buying the Jedi Knight pack no matter what, so its one of those rare cases where "Wait and see" paid off![/QUOTE]I was doing the same thing I was gonna wait but if there were no Jedi Knight deals I was gonna buy it anyways.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Picked up the STALKER pack and Supreme Commander 2. Looks like I'll have to watch the end of the sale from the sidelines :([/QUOTE]

What DRM do the STALKER games use? I saw that the STALKER game that's not in the pack uses TAGES, but that's not listed on the other STALKER games

[quote name='Yanksfan']The first is fantastic. I haven't played any of the expansions, but I assume they are good as well. For five bucks, you can't go wrong.[/QUOTE]

Just another question, are they scary? It's not that i get scared really quickly, but i just don't see the point in horror games/movies.

I'll also add -- on top of my prior comments -- that I generally loathe online FPS games and yet in the past year or so I still managed to log 800+ hours in TF2.

Whew, lots of good stuff today. I'm probably going to pick up Far Cry 2 and the Jedi Knight Collection, and maybe a C&C game. Any recommendations on which one is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back