Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Yanksfan']Why do you say that? I have put in five hours or so on the XBox and have enjoyed it. It mixes exploration, missions, with decent FPS gameplay. Is there something different about the PC version?[/QUOTE]

I only played the XBox version. I hated the exploration, the malaria stuff.. it just wasn't for me. Very bland. It's been a few years, maybe I should give it a chance again.

[quote name='Yanksfan']Why do you say that? I have put in five hours or so on the XBox and have enjoyed it. It mixes exploration, missions, with decent FPS gameplay. Is there something different about the PC version?[/QUOTE]

I've owned it since it released and you've put more time into the single player. I will say I probably got my moneys worth from the editor though. Oh and the multiplayer is blah and I don't think many people play it.

I've got over 800 hours in TF2, can't recommend it enough xD

Very easy to pick up and play as well since a lot of classes are rock paper scissors. you WILL be killing stuff even as a newbie.

Picked up Guardians of Graxia and Jedi Knight Collection. Is Jedi Academy the first in the series?
Thinking about Red Alert, though I've never played any of the them. Really hoping for Dawn of War 2 to go on sale.

[quote name='Wargamer']Thanks, anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, TF2 is a game that is just funny and fun, regardless of your FPS ability. It's a no-brainer when it's on sale.

[quote name='Vulgarism']Picked up the STALKER pack and Supreme Commander 2. Looks like I'll have to watch the end of the sale from the sidelines :([/QUOTE]

Anyone picking up SupCom2 today should grab the DLC along with it as it is on sale too. The added maps and units are MUCH needed and if you enjoy playing the game you'll be glad you got them.

- Flight Control HD is an addictive little game that you can pick up and play for a few minutes at a time.

- FarCry 2 isn't the most well thought out game, but at $5, it's a solid enough of a shooter to be a good value.

- Jedi Knight Collection. Good games in here, but they're all 2003 and earlier, so just be aware before you crank some of them up and cringe at the pixels.

TF2 is amazing, more than worth $5. Not only is the basic gameplay awesome, but there are tons of custom game modes and maps. Sometimes the servers I join aren't trying to kill each other, but just screwing around trying to shove all movable objects into one room, making a human totem pole, messing with the gravity (infinitely fun), and all sorts of stuff.
It's just so much fun. I can't possibly recommend it enough.

I'm going to wait until all three STALKER games are in one bundle, since I want them all. I played a bit of Far Cry 2 before and didn't really like it. It's just way too much expansive emptiness.

[quote name='Sufuma']Picked up Guardians of Graxia and Jedi Knight Collection. Is Jedi Academy the first in the series?
Thinking about Red Alert, though I've never played any of the them. Really hoping for Dawn of War 2 to go on sale.[/QUOTE]

academy is the last in the series.

dark forces - jedi knight - jedi outcast - jedi academy

Definately getting TF2. finally. Metascore: 92/100 - 365 achievements! - Addictive Online Play - O.O!

Stalker pack is tempting. 2 solid FPS games. Probably no "Singularity", but nice anyways. Definitely get "Singularity" when it's cheaper in the next sales.

Already have the Hitman collection, but I highly recommend it. Especially Blood Money and Hitman 2. Wish they also included Hitman: Contracts though. I've noticed the other Hitman Collection box had everything but Hitman 1: Codename 47. Now this pack has codename 47, but they left out Contracts. I know they are similar, but they still have their differences.

Man, that Star Wars collection is great for Star Wars fans. $5, that's $1 a game. Steal Deal for star wars fans. Only played Dark Forces before (OLD SkOoL!) and it's actually not too bad. I still recommend that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic more I suppose. Hopefully everyone got that or has given it a try. Fantastic Star Wars RPG. Better than KOTOR 2 as well.

Damn New Vegas has been taking up all my gaming time this break lol. So much to do. The main storyline has so many endings also, but I mean, it's really all about the side quests in my opinion. Haven't even touched Mass Effect yet, but I'm sure that'll be the next consumer of half my free time - sob lol.

Ahh, as for sales I'm kicking myself for passing up now on Steam:
Bully (i'm sure it would have been a lot better than I assumed now - even though it is a port)
Amnesia
Mirror's Edge
DiRt 2

Man they had some good stuff yesterday too, but I already had and played through the best deals.
For those who missed out, they were the "Oblivion IV: GOTY" and "GTA IV+Episodes from Liberty City" packs - both $10 each. No-brainer steal deals. Especially the GTA pack in my opinion. Oblivion IV:GOTY is a long and enduring game for die-hard RPG fans, the GTA pack is more universally suited towards the casual gamer. They really need to bring back some 80s in the next installment now, or try 60s or 70s.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sufuma']Picked up Guardians of Graxia and Jedi Knight Collection. Is Jedi Academy the first in the series?
Thinking about Red Alert, though I've never played any of the them. Really hoping for Dawn of War 2 to go on sale.[/QUOTE]
Jedi Academy is actually the last in the series.

In order:
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Jedi Outcast
Jedi Academy

I know the Orange Box was recently on sale (not during the Christmas sale), but I was thinking of picking up TF2 and HL:E2. I have the rest of the items in the Orange Box from buying retail (and I own it on the 360), but I'd rather play HL on the PC. Anyone remember the Orange Box's price from recent sales? I thought it was around $7ish? Which is lower than TF2 and HL:E2 combined.

Also, does Valve let me gift the games I already have in the Orange Box if I were to just buy it?

Of the games in the pack Dark Forces is technically the first published (I remember playing it a dozen years ago) -- whether or not it comes first the fictional chronology I don't know.

Nah, Jedi Academy is actually the last of the series. Dark forces was one of the first. Never played academy, but hot damn, Jedi Knight 2's multiplayer was awesome!

Red alert 3 was really nice, although not as amazing as red alert 2. C&C 3 was pretty good too. C&C 4 was the weakest of the series.

Jedi knight actually starts out as Dark forces. The order of the games go

Dark Forces

Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith

Jedi Knight 2

Jedi Academy

So what you thought was first, is actually last. Its a fantastic series, every game in it what among the best for their time periods.

People buying the Jedi Knight pack, please be aware that a couple of the games are missing the music. No music in a Star Wars game?! Damn you, Steam! :p

For anyone on the fence for Far Cry 2, I personally recommend not buying it. It's not very good. I've tried to like it, I wanted to like it, and you can see lots of potential when you're playing it, but it's... shit. Sorry.

[quote name='IPeePie']Just another question, are they scary? It's not that i get scared really quickly, but i just don't see the point in horror games/movies.[/QUOTE]
STALKER has made me jump a couple of times (and not from scripted events), but they're not 'scary'. More... tense. :)

[quote name='blitztwn36']I know the Orange Box was recently on sale (not during the Christmas sale), but I was thinking of picking up TF2 and HL:E2. I have the rest of the items in the Orange Box from buying retail (and I own it on the 360), but I'd rather play HL on the PC. Anyone remember the Orange Box's price from recent sales? I thought it was around $7ish? Which is lower than TF2 and HL:E2 combined.

Also, does Valve let me gift the games I already have in the Orange Box if I were to just buy it?[/QUOTE]
It was $7.50.

You can only gift HL2 and Ep1

Nothing for me today, I have TF2 and FC2. The SW Jedi games are all great but I played through them back in the day so I don't need to play them again, especially with all the other games I got.

[quote name='PenguinJim']People buying the Jedi Knight pack, please be aware that a couple of the games are missing the music. No music in a Star Wars game?! Damn you, Steam! :p

For anyone on the fence for Far Cry 2, I personally recommend not buying it. It's not very good. I've tried to like it, I wanted to like it, and you can see lots of potential when you're playing it, but it's... shit. Sorry.

STALKER has made me jump a couple of times (and not from scripted events), but they're not 'scary'. More... tense. :)[/QUOTE]
Which games are missing music? That may be a deal breaker for me.

As far as Far Cry 2, it seemed like a lot of people felt negative to it at launch and the reviews were mediocre but I listen to a few podcasts and they couldn't shut up about how good the game is if you get past those first few hours and invest some time into it. At that point it was like their game of the year. I'm not sure how I feel about it because I typically don't like investing the time to get into those types of games.

I really enjoyed FarCry 2 as well. The environments are pretty, the map is huge (a little too big to be honest, but what can you do?) and the enemies have a few problems (bullet sponges/super-human sight) but taking it at face value, it's a bit fun. Explore an entire African nation and blow stuff up? Hell yeah!

[quote name='IPeePie']What DRM do the STALKER games use? I saw that the STALKER game that's not in the pack uses TAGES, but that's not listed on the other STALKER games

Just another question, are they scary? It's not that i get scared really quickly, but i just don't see the point in horror games/movies.[/QUOTE]

You'll have to get an answer from somebody else on the first question, but as for the second, I'm pretty sure they're terrifying. Maybe check out some Youtube videos?

When you think FPS you think First Person Shooter. By definition, your goal is to kill enemies by shooting at them in the first person perspective. However Team Fortress 2 breaks this mold in some ways.

Team Fortress 2 is an objective based game in most of the modes. To this extent, there are a few classes that differ from the traditional FPS roles.

Scout - a fast moving unit that will usually progress objectives much faster. However they are fragile and die very easily.

Medic - the healer unit that supports all the people on your team by keeping them up and alive in the front lines.

Engineer - the multi purpose passive unit. They support the team by putting down dispensers (one at a time) so that your team can resupply and gradually gain health (slower than medics). They can also put down turrets which can develop into stronger versions that can be insanely strong if placed correctly. Their last unique support role is to create teleport pads which allows the team to get to locations faster.

Spy - cloak/disguise unit that can infiltrate the enemy lines but are still killable by enemies while in cloak/disguise. They can do one hit kills from behind with a melee weapon or sabotage engineering structures.

Demolition - grenade style unit
Heavy - chain gun style unit
Soldier - rocket gun style unit
sniper - single shot style unit with a weak machine gun for skirmishes.
pyro - flamer thrower unit, they added some new tricks to this so I'm not too familiar.

So generally what happens is, that you end up with so many different classes that are all useful that the game can appeal to any one. You don't need fast reflexes with some of the classes, although you would fare better.

[quote name='Teeheehee']For those interested in Guardians of Graxia, not sure if it applies to the Steam purchase, but here's a little bonus from the creators:

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/boardgames

Holiday Special: 50% ANY board game with proof of purchase of Guardians of Graxia PC![/QUOTE]

Any reviews up? I was thinking of picking it up.

Edit: I mean the PC version.

i have no idea why i bought guardians of graxia other than it being cheap and i sort of like the lord of the rings fantasy type units, but i never played a card or board game type before.

Went for the Hitman pack and the Stalker bundle. Too bad I can't gift the first Stalker to someone seeing as how I already have it.

Trying to compare prices.

For C&C It seems EU might be cheaper for

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising 2,49€
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars 4,99€

On other stuff it's either equal (amount in coins) or we're getting royally ripped off:
Tiberian Twilight being 12,49 euro versus 4.99 dollars.
Anno is also 20 euro over here compared to 15 dollars in the US.
Supreme Commander 3.72 dollars, 4.99 euro's.
Farcry 2. 4.99 dollars, 7.49 Euro.

In for a Guardians of Graxia + map pack, it looks like a ton of fun.

Good variety in the steam sale this year - I have bought a lot of games that I never knew existed.

Edit:

Ran the Steam account Value Calculator thing and I'm over 1k. Woohoo or something.

Yet another daily deal I've been waiting for ruined by circumstance. Supreme Commander 2. I missed it during thanksgiving, and now, when I had some money set aside specifically waiting for something I wanted to go on sale, someone went up and spent the damned thing. So, I won't have any cash available to me until Monday evening. Which means even if they repeat this on Sunday, I'm still screwed. God dammit, I hate being poor.

That said! To anyone who wants SC2, I thought the demo was pretty fun, the original game is one of the best strategy games ever, though. Total Annihilation, the basis for these things, is also one of the best strategy games of all time. Good stuff!

With the overwhelming response for TF2, I am now more inclined. Let me explain my situation, my issue with shooters is that I am handicapped and on a wheechair. My hands have slow reflexes which kinda affect my aiming. Mouse/Keyboard is worse because I need arm movement as oppossed to say just fingers. Will using a pad and sucky aiming be a big issue?

Thinking of getting the Jedi Knight pack, still have the disc versions for Dark Knight and MoTS.

Also want to get Hitman Blood Money, my favorite in the series.

But my wallet it cries :(

Can anyone recommend Supreme Commander 2? Would like to just snag the base game and hopefully get the DLC on sale later but sounds like the DLC is pretty much needed.

I was tempted by the STALKER bundle, but seeing as I got SoC in last year's sale and have yet to even install it, I'll probably end up holding out for another sale. If they had the individual games on sale too, that would have been a buy for me. Oh well.

If you don't have TF2 yet, GET IT! I've spent hours and hours on that game, it's an addictive, fun game.

Any thoughts/comments on the Theater of War games? They look interested.
Also for the Hitman games, are they all worth or just 1-2 of them?

Avoid Supreme Commander 2 and Farcry 2 IMO. SC2 is just bad, if you have any other RTS just play that instead and you'll be better off. FC2, I dunno what it was, but I could not get into this game at all, it just felt really BLAH.

Team Fortress 2 is quite awesome and highly recommended. The Stalker gamers are great too, for the first Stalker SoC make sure you download the mod called Stalker complete it fixes and adds a ton of stuff to the game and makes it way better. Stalker Pripyat I haven't played yet but from what I've read it is a very good game, more like Stalker SoC . The second Stalker which isn't part of the pack is Clear Skies, which most consider to be the weakest of the bunch so you aren't missing too much.

Total War games, you either love em or hate them. But Empires is kinda fail overall compared to other TW games, to ambitious, but Napoleon is very good.

Indie Deal of the Day, Madballs in Babo is really fun, there is a demo on Steam and I recommend the game.

[quote name='gruntrebel']Can anyone recommend Supreme Commander 2? Would like to just snag the base game and hopefully get the DLC on sale later but sounds like the DLC is pretty much needed.[/QUOTE]
DLC is only for multiplayer and skirmishes not for the SP campaign.

Decent deal on Far Cry 2, although it gets repetitive pretty quickly and after about 15-20 hours I got pretty bored.

STALKER bundle is a fantastic deal. Really immersive and deep games. Be sure to download the STALKER Complete 2009 mod for Shadow of Chernobyl! (Link) I believe the guy is working on STALKER complete mods for Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat as well.

Ok deals on the C&C games, but why the hell is C&C3 more expensive than RA3? It'd be nicer if the total cost for C&C3+expansion were $10 or less.

Also, Flight Control HD is addictive as hell. Fun gameplay for $1.70.

[quote name='Scorch']Far Cry 2 isn't worth it at all.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate?

[quote name='Otimus']Yet another daily deal I've been waiting for ruined by circumstance. Supreme Commander 2. I missed it during thanksgiving, and now, when I had some money set aside specifically waiting for something I wanted to go on sale, someone went up and spent the damned thing. So, I won't have any cash available to me until Monday evening. Which means even if they repeat this on Sunday, I'm still screwed. God dammit, I hate being poor.

That said! To anyone who wants SC2, I thought the demo was pretty fun, the original game is one of the best strategy games ever, though. Total Annihilation, the basis for these things, is also one of the best strategy games of all time. Good stuff![/QUOTE]

To each his own, I guess, but SC2 flopped so badly they basically give it away now. I can think of at least four or five instances it has been on sale in the past several months -- the latter few for virtual peanuts. I'd wager anything it comes up again for the same if not less within a month.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']
Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

I think you pretty much did for him. As you said yourself, the game gets repetitive after about ten hours and the vanilla game play doesn't make up for said repetition. People are better off getting something like Just Cause 2.

Definitely getting Blood Money. I played the crap out of that on 360 and have really wanted a PC version now for a while. Thinking about getting a command and conquer game so can someone offer recommendations? Thanks.

I'm debating both Far Cry 2 and Jedi Pack.

I loved the Jedi Games but have played all of them at one point in the past. Far Cry 2 I just don't know I would get around to play.

I was a big C&C Fan until the dissolution of West Wood. Last one I really played was Generals. I'm tempted but those prices are bit higher than I would have liked to pay. To get all of them it would be around $27.50. Id be much happier paying $15 or even $20.

You guys should definitely try TF2 if you haven't yet. It's so addictive! I got my friend the Far Cry game around Christmas. I wish I waited.

1. Dark Forces
2. Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight
3. Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith
4. Jedi Knight 2
5. Jedi Academy

[quote name='sotc1988']Definitely getting Blood Money. I played the crap out of that on 360 and have really wanted a PC version now for a while. Thinking about getting a command and conquer game so can someone offer recommendations? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I think Blood Money is the star of the show today @ $2.50

Possibly the best $2.50 I've spent during the whole sale. Maybe that's just because I love the Hitman series so much.

I may cave later and get Guardians of Graxia but I think my wallet is safe today. Promised myself I would stay cheap on this thing (backlog is already huge!) and I gotta hold out for DoW2 Gold dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back