Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stalker SOC is fun once you get into it. (need to give it another go with my new comp) Also for those seeing the stalker pack and considering it and Clear sky. From what I've read on the steam forum, despite Clear sky being listed as having Tages, its apparently been deactivated in the game. So while the files are still downloaded when you install the game, they never actually do anything. But as I said I only read it on the steam forums so you may want to look into it yourself. Sadly nothing for me today. I'd like some of the C&C games but they're a bit to pricey for my taste, same with the Theater of war collection.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Is there a difference between TF2 and TF2 Beta? I can download both but should i?[/QUOTE]

Don't need the beta :)

Thanks, thread, for making me spend another $20 today. I actually wasn't going to buy TF2, Stalker or Jedi pack until reading all the good things about them here. Arghh!! Must. Stop. Buying. Games!!!

For those upset Clear Sky isn't part of the Stalker bundle, it probably never will be. It's from a completely different publisher and generally considered the worst in the series.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Command and Conquer 4 for $5? Yes Pls.[/QUOTE]

Man, you'd have to pay me to play that POS known as C&C 4. Totally bastardized game in the C&C franchise that should have never been made. They tried to go the DoW route (no base building) and failed big time. And there's also the Ubisoft style DRM which requires you to have a net connection while playing the single player campaign.

C&C 3 and it's expansion are good picks. Red Alert 3 is kinda weak, but at $5 sure why not.

[quote name='Wargamer']Will using a pad and sucky aiming be a big issue?[/QUOTE]
Among everyone else I don't think anyone will notice (plus you'll be having too much fun to care depending on your play style and ease of frustration). :p

[quote name='gbpackers94']Is there a difference between TF2 and TF2 Beta? I can download both but should i?[/QUOTE]
The beta is a game clone dedicated to testing new features so it doesn't mess up the retail version.

For anyone thinking of the Total War pack... wait on it. Green Man Gaming had it for $16 a few weeks back.

It does activate through steam, so if you buy it elsewhere it will activate there.

I was wondering when somebody would get around to some C&C4 bashing. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who actually liked it during the beta, despite the fact that all the other players at the time were total asshats. Then again, I've never been big on C&C, so I would feel differently than actual fans.

I want to get Guardians of Graxia, but I'd swear I once saw something about that game having some kind of shitty SecuROM DRM. Can anybody with the Steam version comment on this? Does it require activation or anything, or is there evidence of SecuROM files in the game directory (paul.dll files, etc)?

[quote name='BitLooter']I was wondering when somebody would get around to some C&C4 bashing. Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who actually liked it during the beta, despite the fact that all the other players at the time were total asshats. Then again, I've never been big on C&C, so I would feel differently than actual fans.[/QUOTE]

It's not just bashing, the game is horrid. Just look at the metacritic score and various reviews on the net.

For Guardians of Graxia, based upon two reviews I've read linked from gamerankings (IGN and Gamers Daily News). It's a turn based affair that's very convoluted. 10 missions in total, 6 of them being one campaign and 4 of them being skirmish maps (skirmish w/o multiplayer??). The basics seems to be to move units on land to hold onto them for mana so you can summon more units and do other things with cards on hand. The rulesets seem to be convoluted though, the lands have properties that affect units a lot, such as powering up specific types of units, providing differing amounts of mana, etc.

There are two common flaws that are listed for this game. The difficulty of this game, either due to lack of information on what things do or information overload in terms of what must be tracked. The time required. There's no way to speed up the animations and apparently you have to watch through everything that happens for the enemy side so that can take a while.

I'm personally still on the fence for this, the price seems to be cheap enough to warrant a try.

[quote name='Pheace']If I were to get only one of the Hitman games which would you guys recommend? Blood Money?[/QUOTE]
Yep. That's the best one in my opinion.

[quote name='wolve']It's not just bashing, the game is horrid. Just look at the metacritic score and various reviews on the net.[/QUOTE]
Critical reviews are mixed, user reviews are overwhelmingly negative - but most of those seem to be "dude, this is totally different from C&C3!!1!1! It must suck because it's not the same!!11!!!".

Like I said, I was never a fan of C&C, so a drastic change in gameplay would mean something different to me. Some people hate it, but I enjoyed it.

[quote name='PenguinJim']People buying the Jedi Knight pack, please be aware that a couple of the games are missing the music. No music in a Star Wars game?! Damn you, Steam! :p

)[/QUOTE]

WTF.. no music.. that blows

[quote name='Firvagor']Among everyone else I don't think anyone will notice (plus you'll be having too much fun to care depending on your play style and ease of frustration)[/QUOTE]

I am very calm, so that is a good thing. Before plunging 5 bucks, more replies would be helpful...[quote name='Wargamer']With the overwhelming response for TF2, I am now more inclined. Let me explain my situation, my issue with shooters is that I am handicapped and on a wheechair. My hands have slow reflexes which kinda affect my aiming. Mouse/Keyboard is worse because I need arm movement as oppossed to say just fingers. Will using a pad and sucky aiming be a big issue?[/QUOTE]

What's the opinion on this Guardian's of Graxia game? I love FFT, Tactics Ogre, etc, but can't tell how similar it is, or if the game is even worth giving a look.

[quote name='Pheace']If I were to get only one of the Hitman games which would you guys recommend? Blood Money?[/QUOTE]

Silent Assassin is my personal favorite.

[quote name='PenguinJim']People buying the Jedi Knight pack, please be aware that a couple of the games are missing the music. No music in a Star Wars game?! Damn you, Steam! :p[/QUOTE]

There's fixes for that. Check the Steam forums for those games.

I am very calm, so that is a good thing. Before plunging 5 bucks, more replies would be helpful...

I can honestly say that TF2 is the only online shooter I have ever played where doing badly was in no way frustrating because of how much fun I was still having. It is a great game with a great sense of humor. Unless it is just going to ruin your day to not be in the top rankings for your team every match, I wouldn't worry about wether it is worth the money or not. I don't play it often any more (kinda out of shooters atm) but I know it is a game I can throw on and have a good time and not have to worry about relearning anything.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I'm still kind of torn - Do I grab Hitman 2 (Already played it on the PS2) or Blood Money?

What are your reviews, CAG's? Which one is worth the money?[/QUOTE]

I played bits of the other Hitman games and didn't really like them too much. Blood Money however is freaking awesome. I'd get that one over the others.

I just bought TF2 because of the glowing recommendations.
I'm thinking about the Jedi Knight collection because i loved the series when i was younger but i have no idea how it has held up.

Wasn't Stalker one of the GFWL deals several weeks ago?

If so, would it be worth picking up the bundle just for the second game at $5? Still a good deal? How is the second game in relation to the first?

Also, regarding the Star Wars bundle - since these games have been out awhile, will they run fine on most laptops?

TIA.

Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection is win. Stalker pack is win. Bought and paid for instantly.

Also, I've been on the edge about buying the Unreal Pack for 14.99, but have been wondering if you can still play any of those games still online through Steam? I'd love to play Unreal Tourny 1 again, my favorite fps of all time!

[quote name='jkimrey']Also, regarding the Star Wars bundle - since these games have been out awhile, will they run fine on most laptops?[/QUOTE]
The ones I've tried run great on my HP Mini 311 Netbook. I figure if it runs good on this thing you should be pretty good on most other laptops.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']One other thing I'd like to put in for TF2 is that it is constantly being updated by Valve...for free![/QUOTE]

just thinking, based on last night's discussion regarding the possibility of gabe and steam going down... is this even possible based on valve originally intending to use steam to distribute hl2. if they keep making video games, they will likely keep using steam to distribute them

i don't think steam was planned as a money making endeavor, but obviously it has become profitable in the last few years. i think unless valve stops developing games completely and goes fully into the digitial distribution business, i can see that MAYBE there's a slight possibility that steam can fail, but as long as they make games steam will support steam to distribute their games.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I want to get Guardians of Graxia, but I'd swear I once saw something about that game having some kind of shitty SecuROM DRM. Can anybody with the Steam version comment on this? Does it require activation or anything, or is there evidence of SecuROM files in the game directory (paul.dll files, etc)?[/QUOTE]

no securom on the steam version (Gamersgate verson had it but I think it got removed once the game was released everywhere else)

[quote name='kaply']For Guardians of Graxia, based upon two reviews I've read linked from gamerankings (IGN and Gamers Daily News). It's a turn based affair that's very convoluted. 10 missions in total, 6 of them being one campaign and 4 of them being skirmish maps (skirmish w/o multiplayer??). The basics seems to be to move units on land to hold onto them for mana so you can summon more units and do other things with cards on hand. The rulesets seem to be convoluted though, the lands have properties that affect units a lot, such as powering up specific types of units, providing differing amounts of mana, etc.

There are two common flaws that are listed for this game. The difficulty of this game, either due to lack of information on what things do or information overload in terms of what must be tracked. The time required. There's no way to speed up the animations and apparently you have to watch through everything that happens for the enemy side so that can take a while.

I'm personally still on the fence for this, the price seems to be cheap enough to warrant a try.[/QUOTE]

as long as you pay attention, it's not that difficult to get the hang of it (it honestly plays a lot like their entry in the Panzer General series with Magic thrown in IMO). As for the animation part, you do have to watch it but it's really quick and it gives you a bit more time to figure out which spells to use and which cards to sacrifice. As for multiplayer, it would be pretty hard to implement it but they are looking into it and they've been pretty active in listening to the community and tend to do bi-weekly updates (so far). Oh and buy the map pack as it adds about double maps.

And keep in mind that in the next week or so there is an expansion pack that they are releasing.

[quote name='jkimrey']Wasn't Stalker one of the GFWL deals several weeks ago?

If so, would it be worth picking up the bundle just for the second game at $5? Still a good deal? How is the second game in relation to the first?

Also, regarding the Star Wars bundle - since these games have been out awhile, will they run fine on most laptops?

TIA.[/QUOTE]

It was for 99 cents a few weeks ago on GFWL. I bought it then.

FYI, Call of Pripyat - Expansion digital download was reduced to $2.50 on Amazon. I think it is the loyalty edition. Downloading it now.

The IGN review of Guardians of Graxia is pretty brutal. It's a game sort of like Culducept, except most of the cards you get don't matter, you can't pick the deck you use, some of maps take up to 4 hours to beat, and you could get to the 4 hour mark only to realize that you made a mistake at the very beginning and now have to replay it from the beginning.

Far Cry 2 and Just Cause 2 are very different. FC2 is an FPS game, JC2 is a pretty ridiculous action game.

Thanks. I'm thinking of gifting this to my brother in law who isn't on steam yet. He only has a laptop, and his internet is through a verizon card. How often will he need to be connected to steam (online) in order to play the games?

[quote name='JP']The ones I've tried run great on my HP Mini 311 Netbook. I figure if it runs good on this thing you should be pretty good on most other laptops.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who wants Far Cry 1 to go with 2...the complete pack is $7.50
The Supcom DLC is also on sale this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gnargnargnar']
Ran the Steam account Value Calculator thing and I'm over 1k. Woohoo or something.[/QUOTE]

I just ran it too, but some of the prices seem way off. Gratituous Space Battles at $54.95? Eufloria at $59.95? GTA 1 and 2 at $29.99 each? Unreal Tournament 3 Black $69.95? Wallace & Gromit episodes at $29.99 each? I wonder where they get their pricing information from.

Okay, I *thought* that was the one I bought, just haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Thanks for the info on Call of Pripyat - I'll pick it up on Amazon too.

[quote name='bigdbo622']It was for 99 cents a few weeks ago on GFWL. I bought it then.

FYI, Call of Pripyat - Expansion digital download was reduced to $2.50 on Amazon. I think it is the loyalty edition. Downloading it now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I want to get Guardians of Graxia, but I'd swear I once saw something about that game having some kind of shitty SecuROM DRM. Can anybody with the Steam version comment on this? Does it require activation or anything, or is there evidence of SecuROM files in the game directory (paul.dll files, etc)?[/QUOTE]

According to this there's no DRM of any kind on it.

[quote name='Wargamer']I am very calm, so that is a good thing. Before plunging 5 bucks, more replies would be helpful...[/QUOTE]

You've gotten around half a dozen replies. Never mind the wealth of reviews, videos, etc. floating around out there.

[quote name='jkimrey']Thanks. I'm thinking of gifting this to my brother in law who isn't on steam yet. He only has a laptop, and his internet is through a verizon card. How often will he need to be connected to steam (online) in order to play the games?[/QUOTE]
If I remember correctly, and don't quote me on this, all that you need to be online for is the initial download and launching the game for the first time. As long as credentials are saved you can play the games in offline mode.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']I just ran it too, but some of the prices seem way off. Gratituous Space Battles at $54.95? Eufloria at $59.95? GTA 1 and 2 at $29.99 each? Unreal Tournament 3 Black $69.95? Wallace & Gromit episodes at $29.99 each? I wonder where they get their pricing information from.[/QUOTE]
I think they pull it off of MSRP. Mine is listing at $2944.36 and I know for a fact that I haven't paid anywhere near that much.

[quote name='Wargamer']With the overwhelming response for TF2, I am now more inclined. Let me explain my situation, my issue with shooters is that I am handicapped and on a wheechair. My hands have slow reflexes which kinda affect my aiming. Mouse/Keyboard is worse because I need arm movement as oppossed to say just fingers. Will using a pad and sucky aiming be a big issue?[/QUOTE]
It's a class based fighter, so you'd probably have real trouble being and fighting a scout, which are based solely on speed and harassment. At the same time, the game is so amazingly balanced that I can think of 3 other classes you could use with a slow response issue and still pwn scouts. Medics, engineers, and heavies are the three most important classes (and most under played (for some strange reason) relative to their force multiplying effect except the engi) for team victory and you would probably fit those roles well.

A quality medic needs no quick click response or reflexes and is probably most able to turn the tide of a battle or make it completely one sided in your favor. A great medic pwns all and good players will flock to you.

My brother had never played before. I put him on as a medic and ran as a heavy. We had an 18 kill streak his very first life. It can be done.

[quote name='Mooby']According to this there's no DRM of any kind on it.

You've gotten around half a dozen replies. Never mind the wealth of reviews, videos, etc. floating around out there.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to problems with pad use and my handicapped issues. The game is an easy sell to the average player, which I am not.

$3.75 was attractive enough for me to get Supreme Commander 2.

Also glad that Steam agreed to refund my Oblivion GOTY confusion with purchase of Oblivion GOTY Deluxe.. Steam support was very quick responding!

[quote name='speedracer']It's a class based fighter, so you'd probably have real trouble being and fighting a scout, which are based solely on speed and harassment. At the same time, the game is so amazingly balanced that I can think of 3 other classes you could use with a slow response issue and still pwn scouts. Medics, engineers, and heavies are the three most important classes (and most under played (for some strange reason) relative to their force multiplying effect except the engi) for team victory and you would probably fit those roles well.

A quality medic needs no quick click response or reflexes and is probably most able to turn the tide of a battle or make it completely one sided in your favor. A great medic pwns all and good players will flock to you.

My brother had never played before. I put him on as a medic and ran as a heavy. We had an 18 kill streak his very first life. It can be done.[/QUOTE]
Very insightful post, thanks.

[quote name='JP']If I remember correctly, and don't quote me on this, all that you need to be online for is the initial download and launching the game for the first time. As long as credentials are saved you can play the games in offline mode.

I think they pull it off of MSRP. Mine is listing at $2944.36 and I know for a fact that I haven't paid anywhere near that much.[/QUOTE]

They pull it off of Steam I think... GTA isn't on sale by itself, and comes in a bundle with 1,2,3,VC,SA, which is why Steam lists the price as $29.99.

Same with Eufloria. It's $59.99 because it says so on Steam if you search for it (which is actually the price of the Indie bundle that it appears in).

Debating whether I should get the STALKER bundle even though I already have the first game. Would the loyalty edition from Amazon work if I have Shadow of Chernobyl through Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back