Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DirkBelig']
I've had S:SoC since it came out and never got too far in it because of the merciless difficulty. I understand the need for some realism to sell the scenario, but enemies with Superman vision and decent guns when you have a rusty pistol and about 7 rounds of ammo equal no damn fun. I hit one part a few hours in where I had to go thru a gate where about eight enemies were waiting with machine guns and could shoot thru the narrowest gaps from 150 yards away and gave up. A challenge is one thing; feeling like the game is cheating is something else.[/QUOTE]

The difficulty actually levels out as you get better weapons and armor. I hit that same wall initially but you can better equip yourself if you play the first part of the game as a rogue-type sniper and basically divide and conquer your enemies. It adds a certain level of realism that alot of fps' lack. At the very start of the game there's a military base to the South, if you can take out those soldiers and grab their gear, you'll find the northern parts where you start running into mutants much easier. Overall it's a really great game with some of the graphic mods that are out there.

[quote name='rhettdb2005']Any thoughts on dawn of discovery. On the fence on this one...[/QUOTE]

It's a really great city building/trading game, I've played the game for weeks when I was really into it (8 hours straight at one point). The only thing lacking is the plain combat system. If you like city building or trading game, there's no reason not to pick it up.

I said I wasn't getting anything today, but hearing about Pripyat some more, I decided for $5 why not?

I have a disc copy of SoC, but oh well. $5 for a full game isn't too bad.

hmmm, trying not to spend money. but should I pick up Jedi Knight Collection for steam? $5 is hard to pass up, but I have original disc copies of all the games and if I pick it up it would be just for the convenience of having it in my steam collection.

how many more days does the holiday sale last, don't know if I could handle it for much longer, lol

I bought almost one game every day last year. This year I only got 3. Either the deals aren't as good this time or its just nothing I want. One more day then the weekly wrap up.

[quote name='rhettdb2005']Any thoughts on dawn of discovery. On the fence on this one...[/QUOTE]

Great game, has the city building, trading, and combat (however somewhat light, from what I've experienced so far) all into one.

Really like the art/graphics of it...for $15 great deal for both the original & expansion....just picked up the expansion for $10.

One thing though, I found the campaign to be a bit slow, so doing the free play mode really inspired me to attempt it again, since its a bit like an extended tutorial, learning more about the game as the campaign wears on (there's a lot to learn in it).

[quote name='TheDevo']I missed out on the Steam deals last year, so I'm wondering if they save the best sales for last?[/QUOTE]
The very last day will be repeats of the top sellers.

Picked up the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bundle, I've been waiting for these games to go on sale for some time and for $5 it was an instant buy. Also grabbed Flight Control HD mostly due to the praise its been getting in this thread and I gotta say you guys were right, really fun and addictive.

Decided to skip Far Cry 2 and the Hitman games since I have already played those on consoles. Still debating the Jedi Knight collection, every Star Wars game I have played (Force Unleashed, Battlefront) thus far has been dissapointing

[quote name='LazyTriangle'] Still debating the Jedi Knight collection, every Star Wars game I have played (Force Unleashed, Battlefront) thus far has been dissapointing[/QUOTE]

You've been playing the wrong SW games...the JK series is one of the best. It's a little bit of nostalgia talking, but for $5 you can't go wrong. DF and DF2 are easily worth the price alone.

[quote name='mrfossey']You've been playing the wrong SW games...the JK series is one of the best. It's a little bit of nostalgia talking, but for $5 you can't go wrong. DF and DF2 are easily worth the price alone.[/QUOTE]

Battlefront was pretty fun, but the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight games are so much better.

Does Far Cry 2 have multiplayer in the open world where you can just goof off with a friend or friends? Or is it limited strictly to Deathmatch, CTF, etc stuff?

Tempted by Call of Pripyat... Already have SoC and barely played it, but would have if my computer was better. I think I'd better give that a better go before I go and get CoP, that would be the smart thing to do.

I'm still tempted to get it just to test the graphics card I've got coming for my new PC build, it's a game that is often used in benchmarks for graphics cards.

I was really considering pulling the trigger on the Dawn of Discovery deal.

Then I noticed this:
3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit

Somehow I went from having Hitman Blood Money in my cart to all the C&C games and the Farcry Complete Pack. Someone talk some sense into me before I hit purchase....

Edit: Thanks to cabhills who acted as the voice of reason until I only bought Hitman Blood Money.

Edit: Wavered again and bought the remaining items. With only two days of the sale left I figured it was worth a splurge.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Commander0Zero']If I buy Empire Total War can I Gift the main game (Empire)? I am actually thinking about it so I can have the Napoleon and all the dlc.[/QUOTE]
no. Hardly any items let you gift the extras. Basically if it's not a valve game and even most of those it's pretty safe to assume you don't get the extra copy.

I stumbled upon Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes ($9.99), and instantly got a hankering for a turn-based strategy RPG. However, after reading some comments about the game (including ones in this thread), it looks like it's not that great of a game.

So! I have a question for you guys. Are there any good turn based SRPGs in the vein of Fire Emblem or FF: Tactics through Steam? I have never had a good enough computer (until recently) to run PC games, so a whole new world of gaming is open to me, and I want to see what I have been missing!

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']I stumbled upon Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes ($9.99), and instantly got a hankering for a turn-based strategy RPG. However, after reading some comments about the game (including ones in this thread), it looks like it's not that great of a game.

So! I have a question for you guys. Are there any good turn based SRPGs in the vein of Fire Emblem or FF: Tactics through Steam? I have never had a good enough computer (until recently) to run PC games, so a whole new world of gaming is open to me, and I want to see what I have been missing![/QUOTE]

It really depends on what you are looking for in the Genre. There are a lot of great Strategy Turn Based RPGs on PC, notably Elven Legacy, and the King's Bounty series but they are both going to be a bit different than the two you mentioned.

I personally passed on Grotesque simply because I have yet to play King's Bounty which looks/sounds much better and much longer for around the same price (Each of the games was about $2.50 each a few days ago).

I'm at the point that it is going to have to be something I really want to play to pull the trigger right now. I mean, the Jedi pack is tempting, so is Graxia and C&C, but considering the long list of games I have yet to play (and those I bought last year that I still haven't gotten to), unless it is something I'm itching to play real soon, there is no point.

[quote name='pROvIs']no. Hardly any items let you gift the extras. Basically if it's not a valve game and even most of those it's pretty safe to assume you don't get the extra copy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I see Republic Commando on sale for $5. Surprised no one has said anything about that. Is it worth the $5? And if you have Empire should I get the total war pack for basically the DLC and Napoleon and it's dlc?

[quote name='Commander0Zero']Thanks for the reply. I see Republic Commando on sale for $5. Surprised no one has said anything about that. Is it worth the $5? And if you have Empire should I get the total war pack for basically the DLC and Napoleon and it's dlc?[/QUOTE]

so you basically paid $20 for Napoleon + dlc then. Hardly worth it ;)

[quote name='agentghost']so you basically paid $20 for Napoleon + dlc then. Hardly worth it ;)[/QUOTE]

Man it could be because I'm crazy tired (Family New Years, On-Call for work, have to work in a hour) but not sure if that is sarcasm or not..lol Anyway I may hold off because Shogun II is coming out in March and it may drop further hmmmmm. Man that Jedi Knight pack is calling me. Never played those games. Are they must plays like KOTOR?

[quote name='DietPoopSoda']I stumbled upon Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes ($9.99), and instantly got a hankering for a turn-based strategy RPG. However, after reading some comments about the game (including ones in this thread), it looks like it's not that great of a game.

So! I have a question for you guys. Are there any good turn based SRPGs in the vein of Fire Emblem or FF: Tactics through Steam? I have never had a good enough computer (until recently) to run PC games, so a whole new world of gaming is open to me, and I want to see what I have been missing![/QUOTE]

Have you checked out GOG?

http://www.gog.com

[quote name='pROvIs']It really depends on what you are looking for in the Genre. There are a lot of great Strategy Turn Based RPGs on PC, notably Elven Legacy, and the King's Bounty series but they are both going to be a bit different than the two you mentioned.

I personally passed on Grotesque simply because I have yet to play King's Bounty which looks/sounds much better and much longer for around the same price (Each of the games was about $2.50 each a few days ago).[/QUOTE]

Awesome, Elven Legacy looks great! Gonna wait till tomorrow (since I have been holding out on everything that isn't a daily deal), but that should scratch that Tactical RPG itch! Thanks! :D

[quote name='doodofdoods']Have you checked out GOG?

http://www.gog.com[/QUOTE]

I have, actually! I have been interested in the older Fallout games for a while, so I may check those out soon, but otherwise there isn't much on that site that I want that isn't either already on Steam (and oft times cheaper) or is an instant purchase for me. I will gladly listen to your recommendations, though! I need them!

Thanks for the responses, guys!

[quote name='icedrake523']Is the Jedi Knight collection worth it? I played Outcast and Academy, liked both. Are the others good, too?[/QUOTE]

They definitely are. Of course if you can't take such dated graphics then you might want to pass. But essentially Dark Forces (1) is the Star Wars version of Doom and Dark Forces 2 (plus expansion) is essentially Outcast but with worse graphics.

EDIT: And I forgot that Dark Forces 2 comes with some nice Live action cut scenes.

Expensive day. I ended up getting all the C&C (except C&C3, already had), the Total War bundle and the Jedi Knight bundle. Oh, and Flight Control HD.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']I just remembered I got Far Cry 2 with my video Card. Is it worth it to pick it up on steam for the DLC?[/QUOTE]

Nah. I think I remember the DLC being exclusively for the multiplayer component.

For all those buying only Blood Money: IMO, Hitman 1&2 not only have some great missions but are essential for understanding who 47 is.

Also, anyone who noticed a much earlier comment on the incomplete status of the Paradox "Complete" Pack - the three missing pieces of DLC have now been added to the pack (the store page has not been updated, however) and if you are able to buy it in GBP, you'll pay around $47 USD (£29.99).

[quote name='supershammy']Nah. I think I remember the DLC being exclusively for the multiplayer component.[/QUOTE]

It also gives 3 weapons & 2 vehicles for SP use (check the store page) but, yes, it seems pretty minimal.

I agree with the above poster: while the AI is a bit wonky in the first game, it's still by all standards an awesome game that is still unique to this day. The plot of it is key to understanding the first mission of Hitman 2 (if I remember correctly), and then Blood Money basically makes no sense if you haven't played either to be quite honest.

Hitman 2 is just an amazing game to this day, it's just that Blood Money refined and built upon the whole concept of playing as a hitman so it's easy to recommend it over Hitman 2. Hitman 2 has some extremely impressive missions and level structure though, so if you like the Hitman idea, 2.50 or whatever is, without question, WORTH IT.

Just to reiterate, all Hitman games are great, but Blood Money is the best game of the bunch in a technical sense.

Went ahead and bought the Indie Kid's Pack. Max and the Magic Marker, Crayon Physics, and Delve Deeper all look like my kinds of games.

Still debating on the Brain Pack. Big Brain Wolf and that other game with the ropes and the objects moving in space looks really cool.

So much for cutting back on game buying this new year, I just impulse bought the Indie Beat Pack. :lol: To be honest, I rarely check the Steam threads as I don't PC game all to often, I'm so glad I did this time around as the pack is well worth the 4.99. Now to figure out if I should pull the trigger on the Indie Kids Pack since Crayon physics is awesome, and I've been meaning to try Max and the Magic Marker (that one being a $20 game by itself makes it seem more than worth it).

*cry* just realized that practically everything I have left on my wishlist has either already been on sale for still unsatisfactory pricing, or is too expensive for me to buy even if it still does go on sale xD

Only thing I have left to hope for is Sword of the Stars Collection/Space Emires xD

Oh well, maybe something new will catch my eye, hopefully :(

[quote name='utopianmachine']Went ahead and bought the Indie Kid's Pack. Max and the Magic Marker, Crayon Physics, and Delve Deeper all look like my kinds of games.

Still debating on the Brain Pack. Big Brain Wolf and that other game with the ropes and the objects moving in space looks really cool.[/QUOTE]

Could you let me know how Max and the Magic Marker is? That's one of the two games I really want from the Kid's Pack.

The only thing that's holding me from buying this is that pretty, pretty pony game. Somehow I think it will stand out in my collection. I guess I could pass it off as an RPG though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back