Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Half Life Source for $1.49 but today was pretty weak as far as sales go. Oh well, leaves me more money to pick up a few non daily deal games I've been eying, so it all works out XD.

Oh and for anyone considering it, Company of Heros is a pretty fun series.

How is Mafia II? I see it only got a 78 from Metacritic. I've only bought two games during this sale, so I have a bit of money left over to play with. And my trigger finger's itchin'...

has anyone played the mafia ii dlc, is it worth the $7.94 extra for the two expansion packs plus content packs? Or at the very least the two expansion packs Jimmy's Vendetta and Joe's Adventure? I have the base game and was just wondering.

EDIT: zillonandnine I found Mafia II to be well worth the money but if you have played the first most people say it does not compare and it ways it does not because of the lack of a true free-roaming open world mode, which is sorely missed, most missions are similar to GTA, drive here, shoot this person, go back home, etc. Nothing super special, but the atmosphere and graphics make up for it in other parts and I find the story rather enjoyable, as well as the soundtrack, I haven't quite finished it yet but for $12.50 it is a good deal I feel.

[quote name='zillionandnine']How is Mafia II? I see it only got a 78 from Metacritic. I've only bought two games during this sale, so I have a bit of money left over to play with. And my trigger finger's itchin'...[/QUOTE]

It's very good.
Definitely worth the $.

The storytelling, shooting, and graphics are outstanding.
Though, the huge world seems to be lacking side quests.

Took me around 13 hours to finish the very linear main quest.

I do not have any of the DLC, by the way.

Kind of amazed that the last day of new sales is so........lackluster.

So, not that I really thought it would come, but the potato pack not being here today means it is not coming, correct? Today is the last day of new sales, and tomorrow will just be repeats.

People seem to be awfully sure about tomorrow being all repeats...

[quote name='zillionandnine']How is Mafia II? I see it only got a 78 from Metacritic. I've only bought two games during this sale, so I have a bit of money left over to play with. And my trigger finger's itchin'...[/QUOTE]

It's okay, as long as you understand that it is not really meant to be played as a GTA-style open-world sandbox game. Yes, there is a big gameworld, but it's just not meant to be played that way, with distracting side-quest stuff. Play it like more of a straightforward action game.

Also, why do people say stuff like "only got a 78"? That's 28 points above average! That's pretty damn good, statistically.

Any idea why Half Life: Opposing Force is only 50% off? Want to get Hali Life: Blue Shift and Opposing Force for $1.48 with the 85% off since I don't really need another copy of Half Life and don't really want Team Fortress Classic

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's okay, as long as you understand that it is not really meant to be played as a GTA-style open-world sandbox game. Yes, there is a big gameworld, but it's just not meant to be played that way. Play it like more of a straightforward action game.

Also, why do people say stuff like "only got a 78"? That's 28 points above average! That's pretty damn good, statistically.[/QUOTE]

Not saying I wouldn't play a game that got a 78, because I have, and I would. But 78 is 28 points above average? I kind of always assumed 70 to 75 was average....and 50 was garbage. That said, I'd play Mafia 2 at a 78 no problem...

Might as well get Half Life 1 Anthology and Source, then I'll have everything except Deathmatch which I don't really care about. If I didn't have the rest I'd be more than willing to pay $10 for the whole pack.
Not a whole lot on the front page for the sub-$10 shoppers.

[quote name='Brak']Tomorrow's the last day.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Firvagor']...the last day of new deals.[/QUOTE]
I'd wouldn't expect any different sales.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']People seem to be awfully sure about tomorrow being all repeats...
[/QUOTE]

Interesting....

If tomorrow does end up being repeats, I will probably pick up SMB that I missed for $7.50.

[quote name='iso135']Kind of amazed that the last day of new sales is so........lackluster.

So, not that I really thought it would come, but the potato pack not being here today means it is not coming, correct? Today is the last day of new sales, and tomorrow will just be repeats.[/QUOTE]

It's possible it will show up tomorrow. Guess we will just wait and see.

Hopefully its not all repeats.

HL1 Source is showing up for the right price now.

Thanks CoffeeEdge & MysterD. I'll probably get Mafia II. It looks like a fun game.

BTW, Half-Life: Source is also on sale for 75% (or 85%, depending on you) off, just not listed. EDIT: ninja'd :)

I've been playing HL2 over my Christmas break, so I'm thinking about getting the first half-life. Which is the better one to get, the original one or the Source version?

I took the plunge and grabbed four Indie packs today:

Smarts
Brain
Adventure
Fantasy

Also picked up Dark Sector for five bucks. I know that game got a lot of flak but I really liked it so for five bucks I figure I can squeeze a couple more playthroughs in and have a blast.

I may pick up a couple more puzzle games like Ziro and Square Logic. For a few bucks those should be fun. I also loved Diner Dash on the DS so maybe I'll even grab all the Dash games they have which are less than two dollars each.

I hope everyone was able to get a good bunch of games they were waiting all year for during this holiday sale. :D

[quote name='sandbag']Divinity II looks interesting.

Wait, what's this?

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit

No sale.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth the developers said that the publisher will eventually remove the SecuRom from it after it's been out for a while. Of course I don't intend on buying it before then... at least not at only 50% off.

And that's another day of nothing for me. Well, if tomorrow is another day of repeats, this will be my final haul for the holiday sale:

F.E.A.R. Complete Pack - $10
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition - $5
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition - $25
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - $2.50
--------
Total - $42.50

Mafia 2 is a must buy, its an amazing game. I would say its one of the best looking games I have played. The detail and atmosphere is amazing. Driving through the city is stunning. The story and voice work are top notch.

The game deserves 90+ on metacritic but too many people were comparing this to GTA, because of the open world. But here while there is a open world the game is a very tight and linear story driven game.

This city is probably the most realized and real feeling city in any game I think.

[quote name='Mooby']For what it's worth the developers said that the publisher will eventually remove the SecuRom from it after it's been out for a while. Of course I don't intend on buying it before then... at least not at only 50% off.[/QUOTE]

That's decent news.
Was that said on Larian's forums?

[quote name='scottc320']Wondering if Medal of Honor is worth it...I don't think it will drop that much more any time soon.[/QUOTE]

I have it for the 360 and its worth it, the Mulitplayer is alot of fun.

i got a free copy of mafia 2 when i purchased a video card a few months ago.

is there away to upgrade to the digital deluxe version? i really only want the made men pack. also, i hear that some of the dlc is already accessible in the game by playing through it and earning it, only if you buy dlc you get it from the start. any truth to that?

Just for clarification, the last day's sale will be from tomorrow (Sunday, 1 PM Eastern) through to Monday at 1 PM Eastern?

Basically I guess my question is, I can still pick up games like Sid Meier's Pirates!, SquareLogic, Civ IV Complete, etc. after the new (or possibly repeats) are unveiled tomorrow?

The "Digital Deluxe" version of Mafia 2 is also 75% off, from $59.99 -> $14.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50460/

It includes:
Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.

Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.

Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.

Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Also, as it was mentioned, all of the Mafia 2 DLC is 75% off and the original Mafia is only $4.99

I guess I should have been spending my money on things I kinda want, instead of saving it for things I really wanted to buy at sale prices.

I highly recommend Company of Heroes though. I'd consider buying tales of valor myself, but its mostly multiplayer, and I don't know if the steam version will integrate with my non-steam versions (new units, etc)

Maybe Company of Heroes. Other than that I'm probably getting Republic Commando and the kids indie pack. after that unless they shock everyone with new deals I'll be done.

Worst day for me, nothing.... Xeno clash looks cool but nah

For those that don't have:

Company of Heroes for 2.49 is worth it.. fun game.

Obviously Half life series for the few that don't have it.

[quote name='Showstoppa42']The "Digital Deluxe" version of Mafia 2 is also 75% off, from $59.99 -> $14.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50460/

It includes:
Made Man Pack: Free access to in-game downloadable pack that lets players get behind the wheel of two different luxury automobiles modeled after classic cars from the period. In addition, Vito will look the part with two new “made man” suits, including a vintage tux.

Digital Art Book: Get to know the families of Empire Bay with a photo album-style Digital art book that takes fans through the artistic design process of the game.

Orchestral Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in Empire Bay’s symphonic masterpiece with the Mafia II score recorded by the Prague FILMHarmonic Orchestra.

Digital Map of Empire Bay: Get familiar with the neighborhoods and own the streets with the Digital map depicting the 10 square miles of Empire Bay and all the hangout spots.

Also, as it was mentioned, all of the Mafia 2 DLC is 75% off and the original Mafia is only $4.99[/QUOTE]

Anybody have an opinions on if it's worth the extra few dollars to get the deluxe version or if I should just go for the regular version.

I have the Half-Life anthology in my cart, but is there any reason I should get HL:Source too (or instead of the original HL)?

Also, the DLC for Mafia II worth getting? I'm looking at the Digital Deluxe edition too... I don't really care about the soundtrack or the art or whatever, but is that stuff & the Made Man pack worth the extra $2.50?

anyone bought mafia 2 digital deluxe and right click to see dlc in steam client? on the store page, it says i already own the digital deluxe, but i'm sure i only have the standard. when i right click to view dlc, it shows i have nothing and steam allows me to purchase the digital deluxe for myself.

[quote name='iso135']If tomorrow does end up being repeats, I will probably pick up SMB that I missed for $7.50.[/QUOTE]
You didn't miss it. It was on sale twice for $3.50. It's still on sale right now for $7.50 through tomorrow.

Picked up Red Alert 3 earlier today, and then HL2 Ep2 for $1.20 to round out my HL2 collection. Played it on 360, but don't own the Orange Box on there anymore.

Company of Heroes Gold seems to be cheapest in the EU for 3,74 euro's.

If anyone needs it hit me up.

Company of Heroes: Gold
Release: 4th March 2008
europeanunion.png
€ 14.99 € 3.74
us.png
$ 29.99 $ 7.49 »
europeanunion.png
€ 5.61 (+50.00%)
gb.png
£ 14.99 £ 3.74 »
europeanunion.png
€ 4.35 (+16.31%)

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Release: 24th September 2007
europeanunion.png
€ 9.99 € 2.49
us.png
$ 19.99 $ 4.99 »
europeanunion.png
€ 3.73 (+49.80%)
gb.png
£ 9.99 £ 2.49 »
europeanunion.png
€ 2.89 (+16.06%)

[quote name='zillionandnine']I have the Half-Life anthology in my cart, but is there any reason I should get HL:Source too (or instead of the original HL)?
[/QUOTE]

The Half-Life Source version was Valve's attempt at updating the original Half-Life with some of Source's physics and such, but it didn't work out too well as I've read it has a lot of bugs that the original does not.

Keep an eye on Black Mesa if it ever gets released, as it looks to be a true version of Half-Life 1 on the Source engine.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

[quote name='u.v.bunny']The UK has some good prices today:

Mafia II £4.99
Medal of Honor £14.99
Settlers 7 £9.99
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor £2.49[/QUOTE]

Now that's more like it!

[quote name='iso135']Just for clarification, the last day's sale will be from tomorrow (Sunday, 1 PM Eastern) through to Monday at 1 PM Eastern?

Basically I guess my question is, I can still pick up games like Sid Meier's Pirates!, SquareLogic, Civ IV Complete, etc. after the new (or possibly repeats) are unveiled tomorrow?[/QUOTE]
The sale banners say "Through Jan 2nd," so I would assume everything will be up until at least 11:59pm on January 2nd.

Well, if Steam ever decides to recognize that I own Left 4 Dead, I'll pick up the Half-Life stuff I don't have. :p

EDIT: PFFT... And as soon as I decide to complain about it. :p Such is the power of the internet, I guess.

After reading on it a little bit, I am going to pass on HL1 Source and just wait for Black Mesa.

HL1 Source was a good idea, just poorly executed from what I have gathered.

Time to pick up an indie pack or 2 :)

Any opinions on AaAaAA! A Reckless Disregard For Gravity?
for 2.50, was thinking of picking it up.

[quote name='Drizzt']The Half-Life Source version was Valve's attempt at updating the original Half-Life with some of Source's physics and such, but it didn't work out too well as I've read it has a lot of bugs that the original does not.

Keep an eye on Black Mesa if it ever gets released, as it looks to be a true version of Half-Life 1 on the Source engine.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll pick up HL1 anthology since I never played HL1.

[quote name='Pheace']Company of Heroes Gold seems to be cheapest in the EU for 3,74 euro's.

europeanunion.png
€ 14.99 € 3.74
us.png
$ 29.99 $ 7.49 »
europeanunion.png
€ 5.61 (+50.00%)
gb.png
£ 14.99 £ 3.74 »
europeanunion.png
€ 4.35 (+16.31%)
[/QUOTE]

Australia is 1¢ cheaper ;)

au.png
AU$ 19.65$ 19.99 AU$ 4.91$ 4.99
gb.png
£ 14.99 £ 3.74 »
au.png
AU$ 5.71$ 5.81 (+16.43%)
europeanunion.png
€ 14.99 € 3.74 »
au.png
AU$ 4.92$ 5.00 (+0.20%)

By the way, it's cool that you can just copy/paste everything from steamprices.com! Didn't realise you could do that until now...

Keep in mind the wait on Black Mesa Source might be longer than you think. They announced last year it would be out before 2010. Not bashing them, it's a labor of love and a lot of hard work but if you have the urge to play HL I'd say just go ahead and grab it now while it's dirt cheap and you can enjoy BM: Source whenever they get to it.

[quote name='u.v.bunny']Australia is 1¢ cheaper ;)

au.png
AU$ 19.65$ 19.99 AU$ 4.91$ 4.99
gb.png
£ 14.99 £ 3.74 »
au.png
AU$ 5.71$ 5.81 (+16.43%)
europeanunion.png
€ 14.99 € 3.74 »
au.png
AU$ 4.92$ 5.00 (+0.20%)

By the way, it's cool that you can just copy/paste everything from steamprices.com! Didn't realise you could do that until now...[/QUOTE]

A cheapshot from down under! :cold:

xD

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Dragon Knight Saga. Larian worked their asses off to vastly remake/improve divinity 2 (along with throwing in an expansion in the pack). The story is stellar, the graphics are great, the voice acting is wonderful. I cannot stress this enough.

Yes I know where is a drm limit atm on the game, but larian pretty much said they understand the frustration and are looking to remove that in a future date.

Of course it is up to everyone's opinion of what they like and what they want to spend their money on, but if you are looking for a great adventure - action RPG with a dev studio that still cares about their customers and the quality of their games, please support these guys so that they can release more high quality games in the future :D

after much deliberation fine steam you win won't pick up the star wars collection,
just grabbed the jedi knight pack instead and flight control. Now sad I passed on kotor. MIght pick up republic commando as well

recomend at least watching the zeno clash trailer

considering picking on half life anthology

if your thinking about company of heros also give the thq pack a look.

Hah. I bought Divinity II: DKS several days ago thinking that it wouldn't show up as a daily. They do this to spite me, I think. At least I only paid $26 for it and not $39.99, though. No regrets at all on the purchase, though. Theres a ton of game here for the price.

Having a blast with the game so far - once your character gets powerful enough, you unlock some of the later talents, get some decent gear, and know what you are doing, it is quite enjoyable. Pretty rough for the first few hours, though. I think I have around 25 hours sunk into the game so far (restarted at the 5 hour mark on my first playthrough after I got a feel for the game). Tons of quests, side quests, multiple ways to complete quests, diablo-esque equipment to loot. And I haven't even reached the really cool parts of the game yet - I'm basically still running around the starting area finishing up my quest log.

Also, Rush Attack is the funnest skill ever. Basically a hyper speed warrior's Charge from WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back