Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else hate this thread? I'd rather see individual posts for steam deals with the deal actually in the title. Or maybe I'm just bein a douche.

[quote name='xtheapocx']Does anyone else hate this thread? I'd rather see individual posts for steam deals with the deal actually in the title. Or maybe I'm just bein a douche.[/QUOTE]

No, I agree. I hosted the original steam thread before handing it over to East X and I REALLY do not understand the need for this topic. East X is a very nice guy, but he is far too busy to effectively update the thread fast enough to make it useful to have a single steam deal thread. Besides that fact though is that all the deals could always be organized in the normal steam topic at the PC board if he wanted to. When this came up I said I appreciated his effort, but that this was making things worse not better.

bought:

Half Life 1 pack: Half Life, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Team Fortress Classic- $2.24
Winterbottom- $0.50

total- $2.74

deeply regretting not buying Recettear, guess there will be a next time

[quote name='MSI Magus']No, I agree. I hosted the original steam thread before handing it over to East X and I REALLY do not understand the need for this topic. East X is a very nice guy, but he is far too busy to effectively update the thread fast enough to make it useful to have a single steam deal thread. Besides that fact though is that all the deals could always be organized in the normal steam topic at the PC board if he wanted to. When this came up I said I appreciated his effort, but that this was making things worse not better.[/QUOTE]

I feel that threads like this one are needed during the major sales, such as the holiday/bfriday/summer sales, but I don't think it'll be quite as important during the off time. Without one thread for all major deals, we don't have to wait for eastx to update the thread for just one game on a weekend. and i think having a new thread for each game when there's only one or two games on sale makes game discussion much easier. I think an overly large thread can dissuade people from actually discussing the game because it can be hard to find that actual discussion. That's my two cents, and i thought eastx did a great job with this thread, but I think it should be held off until the huge summer sale.

[quote name='xtheapocx']Does anyone else hate this thread? I'd rather see individual posts for steam deals with the deal actually in the title. Or maybe I'm just bein a douche.[/QUOTE]

I don't hate it. I actually like it for event sales like the Holiday Sale (just as we've done in the past) and find it extremely useful. Well done, EastX.

I don't, however, think it's effective or even necessary for the rest of the year with the exception of any other event sales (Black Friday, E3, Summer, etc).

[quote name='Homerun17']My Haul:
P.J. Winterbottom 0.50

Total: 0.50........I feel ashamed. XD[/QUOTE]

No shame. That makes you the cheapest gamer!

[quote name='Jugglenaut']I feel that threads like this one are needed during the major sales, such as the holiday/bfriday/summer sales, but I don't think it'll be quite as important during the off time. Without one thread for all major deals, we don't have to wait for eastx to update the thread for just one game on a weekend. and i think having a new thread for each game when there's only one or two games on sale makes game discussion much easier. I think an overly large thread can dissuade people from actually discussing the game because it can be hard to find that actual discussion. That's my two cents, and i thought eastx did a great job with this thread, but I think it should be held off until the huge summer sale.[/QUOTE]

I can agree during major sales they are needed, but this was around before the winter sale and it was made clear it was meant to be the only topic where steam deals would be posted. As I said I agree that at the Summer Sale resurrect it, but for now it should be allowed to die unless Steam wants to start doing daily deals and someone can actually up date the topic in a timely manor daily(again no offense to East X who has great style, but not necessarily timing).

I don't see a problem with the thread continuing, it provides a single location for steam related deals to be posted instead of people making new threads when things go on sale. I see no reason it can't continue on.

I think this thread is great and Eastx should continue the thread with the normal deals as well. You guys that are complaining are not seeing the big picture. Some of the best discussions have occurred in threads like the target and reduced guide thread. Why can't this thread do the same? Not to mention this thread can cut down on all the repeat threads when a sale does hit. Along the way other steam fans can discuss games and help other like myself to find out about great sleeper games.

Eastx has done an incredible job! Updating as things happen is not as important as the orginaztion of all the great disussion! If u notice, all the deal threads are updated first by other users and then the op updates. I just don't think it is big deal on update timing. Isn't everyone entitled to a life?

Eastx rulez and he is a extremely nice guy! Keep it up Eastx!

The best way to handle these threads is by making a new account specifically to post these threads, with multiple people who have access to that account that can update the OP with deals in a timely fashion.

[quote name='jester55']I think this thread is great and Eastx should continue the thread with the normal deals as well. You guys that are complaining are not seeing the big picture. Some of the best discussions have occurred in threads like the target and reduced guide thread. Why can't this thread do the same? Not to mention this thread can cut down on all the repeat threads when a sale does hit. Along the way other steam fans can discuss games and help other like myself to find out about great sleeper games.

Eastx has done an incredible job! Updating as things happen is not as important as the orginaztion of all the great disussion! If u notice, all the deal threads are updated first by other users and then the op updates. I just don't think it is big deal on update timing. Isn't everyone entitled to a life?

Eastx rulez and he is a extremely nice guy! Keep it up Eastx![/QUOTE]

The steam topic is for steam related discussion, people can discuss deals there too. The only purpose topics like this should serve(Or at least the main one)is to let people know what is on sale at any given time. East X has shown that while he is a nice guy and has a good lay out, he can not update the topic as fast as other people are finding the deals. This means people are going to have to either constantly be watching the newest posts to see if someone has noticed a deal, or they are going to have to search through pages worth of posts to find what is on sale. This topic only serves to make things more difficult on people vs people just being able to see a headline on the forums that says "Half life on sale $3".

I will drop this now since as I said before, I really have lost any interest in being a part of this community anymore and people will just keep missing the point and insulting each other either way. As I said my view is this just complicates things unless we have someone in control of the topic that can update it in an extremely timely fashion.

As much as I prefer this site to slickdeals, for gaming related stuff anyways, I have to admit they have a much better system with the user updated wiki...

There's no reason this thread shouldn't stick around. It won't get the traffic it does during the big sales, but with constant midweek and weekend specials, it's better to have it all contained in one space.

[quote name='daroga']There's no reason this thread shouldn't stick around. It won't get the traffic it does during the big sales, but with constant midweek and weekend specials, it's better to have it all contained in one space.[/QUOTE]

but it won't get contained. Ppl who find good Steam deal will start new thread.

[quote name='MSI Magus']

I will drop this now since as I said before, I really have lost any interest in being a part of this community anymore and people will just keep missing the point and insulting each other either way. As I said my view is this just complicates things unless we have someone in control of the topic that can update it in an extremely timely fashion.[/QUOTE]cya

Gotta admit there were a few games and packs that I bought just on EastXs' recommendation and links to reviews. He'd be a great choice as a thread-shepard. First post is already in order, I like the idea of a dedicated steam thread. It's easier to find hidden gems and sales in a thread like this rather than 5 steam threads that pop up randomly or a steam thread about a well-reviewed but not-popular game that gets pushed down to page 3.

If you log onto Cheapassgamer to check what the Steam deals are you're doing it wrong, just go to Steam itself and save yourself some trouble. I just come here to talk about the deals, not get breaking news that's easier to get from the source.

[quote name='xHOJUx']If you log onto Cheapassgamer to check what the Steam deals are you're doing it wrong, just go to Steam itself and save yourself some trouble. I just come here to talk about the deals, not get breaking news that's easier to get from the source.[/QUOTE]

Exactly... Who cares if it takes eastx a couple hours to update the original post. He does a great job organizing and posting videos and review links for the games of interest. That alone takes a lot of time. Especially with all the games they had on sale the past 2 weeks. I couldn't have kept up with it all...

I enjoy having his input on sale games as well as coming in the thread and seeing what the community thinks. I have bought items just because he recommend them. Flight Control HD comes to mind. Thanks for the tip :) I'm loving that one.

This thread is great and it should continue. Just log into steam and see what they have going on if you need to be up to the minute. That's what everyone else with a brain does.

Keep it up eastx. You're doing a great job and your work is appreciated. Looking forward to the sales that 2011 brings :)

I agree with sp8001; eastx is awesome. Like so many others here I simply check Steam for the latest deals, but I refer to this thread to get impressions, recommendations, comparisons, etc. In other words, I check Steam for the headline but I read this thread for the real skinny on the deals themselves.

Keep up the good work, eastx!

See... I don't think anyone is questioning how nicely it was formatted or the amount of effort put into maintaining the thread. It's more of an expression of a preference how non-event deals are posted.

When I come to CAG, I'm looking for games and that's what I want (as an end-user) to see in a thread title. I don't come to CAG to visit the many store-themed threads, dig through dozens of pages and hope I come across relevant conversation and interesting deals.

The forum index works quite nicely to display, at a glance, 35 different deals per page. I click one time, scan the index, maybe click to page two if there are new threads - done.
The beauty of a forum is that anyone can update so the information is extremely timely and threads hold only relevant information. CAG has always been very good at that. Turning each store into its own thread where I have to do a virtual hunt is not at all what I want to see.

EVENTS MAKE SENSE. This kind of thread works very well during those because I AM visiting here with interest in that particular sale, knowing that there are far more deals available due to its very nature.

The debate is not how nicely it was formatted nor the value of the additional links provided, but rather a preference of how every day deals are displayed. To be honest with you, I never really re-visited the first page of this thread because I knew I'd find the most current info by viewing the last visited post. I appreciate the recommendations in the OP, but I didn't use any of them because by the time I saw that it had been updated I'd already seen those recommendations and more by a dozen other people.

I'm loathe to post this because I've already posted my opinion. It isn't complaining - it's an opinion.

I'll throw my hat in the ring and say that i think this thread is incredibly useful. It consolidates all of the discussion on a current deal. People's impressions along with eastx's videos and reviews made this sale really easy to deal with. I think it will continue to be useful through all upcoming Steam deals.

I found myself checking this thread instead of Steam's actual site during the sale because of how well done it is. I see no reason not to continue it if eastx is down to. I think if a deal is awesome enough it should get its own thread as well, just like every other deal at a store that has an ongoing thread.

And thanks again eastx.

Agree in that this thread is incredibly useful for discussion on individual games (heck, I would only purchase the Indie deal of the day based on recommendations here alone). If you're looking for up-to-the-second new Steam sales, as said above, just check the front page of Steam. Steam sales (normally) don't sell out (see Prey 2009 sale), so it's not like you're looking to find a deal and act in the first 10 minutes to ensure you save a spot.

We definitely need a discussion thread, and I think eastx has done a great job in maintaining the data here. Great job!

[quote name='blitztwn36']Agree in that this thread is incredibly useful for discussion on individual games (heck, I would only purchase the Indie deal of the day based on recommendations here alone). If you're looking for up-to-the-second new Steam sales, as said above, just check the front page of Steam. Steam sales (normally) don't sell out (see Prey 2009 sale), so it's not like you're looking to find a deal and act in the first 10 minutes to ensure you save a spot.

We definitely need a discussion thread, and I think eastx has done a great job in maintaining the data here. Great job![/QUOTE]

Ditto to the above.

Eastx has done a tremendous job. Every day when I got home from work - first thing I would check was this thread. I can look at Steam, but I wanted to know what people thought. And if EastX recommended it, I gave it a hard look.

Also loved reading others thoughts. Never would have bought King Arthur RPG and other things without the comments.

MASSIVE THANKS!!!

I'm totally loving this "one Steam related thread" thing. I love these massive Steam threads as it's a great place for CAGs to recommend and ask questions about games. I've discovered many gems thanks to the recommendations found in threads like these.

Thanks eastx for all the effort you put in. I came on this thread not for that though, i came here to read what other people had to say on the games that were on sale. But as i'm thinking of it now, maybe your efforts made those people post here in the first place, so if you wouldn't have done that, i couldn't read their opinions!

So thanks again ;)

I like having a consolidated thread for many thing but it comes with just as many cons as pros so it is really just a preference thing.

I find it much easier to find deals on individual threads. On other "store/combined" threads they are so big that is hard to easily see the relevant deals. As much as I appreciate EastX keeping the OP updated and feel like he done an awesome job so far, I know that ultimately everyone burns out and he's not getting paid to do this (at least I dont think :).

It is also easier on individual threads to have relevant discussion to one particular game. However in a combined thread I hear about games I didn't realize I should be interested in.

I don't care enough one way or another to make a big fuss about it and will encourage the community in whichever way they feel is best. My biggest fear with the current structure is not being notified when a Major deal hits. I wish there was a way to be auto emailed when there was an update to a thread by a specific person or the OP was edited etc rather than just most recent post since you last were on the thread.

[quote name='hal']See... I don't think anyone is questioning how nicely it was formatted or the amount of effort put into maintaining the thread. It's more of an expression of a preference how non-event deals are posted.

When I come to CAG, I'm looking for games and that's what I want (as an end-user) to see in a thread title. I don't come to CAG to visit the many store-themed threads, dig through dozens of pages and hope I come across relevant conversation and interesting deals.

The forum index works quite nicely to display, at a glance, 35 different deals per page. I click one time, scan the index, maybe click to page two if there are new threads - done.
The beauty of a forum is that anyone can update so the information is extremely timely and threads hold only relevant information. CAG has always been very good at that. Turning each store into its own thread where I have to do a virtual hunt is not at all what I want to see.

EVENTS MAKE SENSE. This kind of thread works very well during those because I AM visiting here with interest in that particular sale, knowing that there are far more deals available due to its very nature.

The debate is not how nicely it was formatted nor the value of the additional links provided, but rather a preference of how every day deals are displayed. To be honest with you, I never really re-visited the first page of this thread because I knew I'd find the most current info by viewing the last visited post. I appreciate the recommendations in the OP, but I didn't use any of them because by the time I saw that it had been updated I'd already seen those recommendations and more by a dozen other people.

I'm loathe to post this because I've already posted my opinion. It isn't complaining - it's an opinion.[/QUOTE]

I agree with hal. This thread is more of a nuisance than a benefit. I do enjoy the discussion that goes on in here, but no more than I enjoyed the game-centric conversation in the one-game threads, as it was before.

What I don't like is that this thread has soaked up the individual Steam game deals off the forum, making for additional work to find individual titles on sale by flipping through the last couple of pages here.

OP stated up front that he can't update very quickly. Which makes this a better discussion thread than a deal thread. The formatting on page one is very good -I like the 4-pack meetup links. But it's not updated promptly enough to be particularly helpful as a "deal" thread.

The format on the forums has generally been one-thread-per-game. Store-based threads are elevated with Sticky. This thread, if it remains, should definitely be elevated with a sticky. If it remains as a deal thread, then a few more trusted people should be able to edit the front post so it's updated faster.

But I'd prefer to see it locked, until the next major sale that requires a single thread to pull together hundreds of deals.

Thanks in advance for everyone who tells me I'm an idiot and my opinion doesn't count. :-({|= Your majority opinions are just as valid as my minority one. Peace. :D

I support this type of thread for large sales that last days. However when we're not having a Black Friday/Christmas/Summer/Spring/Whatever deal, I like individual threads. I'm more likely to catch new deals from individual threads because then all I need to do is scan the first page or two of the deals forum and not make sure to check all these consolidation threads all the time on top of that. And since EastX isn't very quick on the thread/OP update, all the more reason that I'm likely to miss out on a deal.

And everybody here sounds like they're thinking this thread is any different than a regular deal thread. How is it any different? In any deal thread you have people recommending, asking and commenting about the games in the deal. I don't see how it's any different?

Finally if this is going to turn into a discussion thread, why would it be allowed to stay in the Deal forums and not the PC forums where there's already a Steam discussion thread?

i guess if we were to keep this thread alive, the title should just be "Steam deal thread: " and if there were any specific game sale or holiday sale going on, it should be added after the ":" in the title. but someone would have to be responsible for that. but then if you think about it, it IS the same thing as having another thread all together. meh, either way is fine for me. so long as i get word of any deals that are going on.

whoa - DOUBLE PANDA BEARS ALL THE WAY!!!

lame attempt at humor.

On topic - I do like the suggestions that for mid-week/short duration Steam sales we just have individual threads, but for prolonged deals like the Christmas sales, we have a thread like this. During the holiday sale who isn't sitting on the Steam store site waiting for an update like a kid on Christmas morning? For the mid-week sales I'm not always so anxious/on my mind to check the updated sales, so admittedly some do slip through.

[quote name='Draekon']I support this type of thread for large sales that last days. However when we're not having a Black Friday/Christmas/Summer/Spring/Whatever deal, I like individual threads. I'm more likely to catch new deals from individual threads because then all I need to do is scan the first page or two of the deals forum and not make sure to check all these consolidation threads all the time on top of that. And since EastX isn't very quick on the thread/OP update, all the more reason that I'm likely to miss out on a deal.

And everybody here sounds like they're thinking this thread is any different than a regular deal thread. How is it any different? In any deal thread you have people recommending, asking and commenting about the games in the deal. I don't see how it's any different?

Finally if this is going to turn into a discussion thread, why would it be allowed to stay in the Deal forums and not the PC forums where there's already a Steam discussion thread?[/QUOTE]

eastx does a good job, but I agree with the other points.

[quote name='Draekon']
Finally if this is going to turn into a discussion thread, why would it be allowed to stay in the Deal forums and not the PC forums where there's already a Steam discussion thread?[/QUOTE]

I agree here. MSI Magus has been asking that for a while as well.

Personally, I don't really see why there is a distinguishment and can't think of many topics that would go in one but not the other.

Not only that but Steam does not hold deals regularly unless it is a holiday like Black Friday or the End of Year sales they usually hold.

However when they do, it is usually a small event going on so an individual thread with the deal on the tile will work best for it.

Remember Half Life for 99 cents?
Remember Team Fortress 2 for x.xx [forgot the price] for 2 hours?

That is about it.
This thread served its original purpose but now it is time to let it go.

[quote name='cRodz']Not only that but Steam does not hold deals regularly unless it is a holiday like Black Friday or the End of Year sales they usually hold.

However when they do, it is usually a small event going on so an individual thread with the deal on the tile will work best for it.

That is about it.
This thread served its original purposed but now it is time to let it go.[/QUOTE]

*hugs cRod*

Steam does hold them regularly though, they have the midweek and weekend sales.

Possibly will have developer weeks like always too from time to time.

EastX has put a lot of effort and has continued to for the community. Especially with all the reviews and how everything is laid out. Its good for the discussion and I've asked several times whether or not a game was worth it or not and received good feedback.

Although, I do agree with the surprise sales. Those are the ones that should be getting their own thread. It shouldn't be a problem to merge it later on though? Especially if it's just a short burst sale like $2.50 TF2.

Other than that I don't see a problem with the midweek/weekend deals staying in this thread.

Thanks again EastX for all the effort!

[quote name='cRodz']Not only that but Steam does not hold deals regularly unless it is a holiday like Black Friday or the End of Year sales they usually hold.

That is about it.
This thread served its original purpose but now it is time to let it go.[/QUOTE]

There's two deals per week usually with the midweek and the weekend sale. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Add to that sometimes the special weeks for developers or other events and it's quite a lot. Plenty to keep a single thread going on.

Edit: Forbidden beat me to it xD

That is about it.
This thread served its original purpose but now it is time to let it go.[/QUOTE]

As others have said, there is usually a midweek deal and a weekend deal. Nothing as big as the holiday sale, but enough to keep this thread alive.

Why don't we have this thread for general deal discussion, and individual threads when someone wants to point out specific deals?

I can't think of any reason we can't simply do both.

[quote name='BouncingSoul']I'd like to cast my vote to let the steam deals roam freely in the forum. Not a fan of these massive threads.[/QUOTE]

This.

It's too easy to miss deals buried in these threads.

If we keep this thread this thread needs to chronicle all the deals that steam has had and store them for future reference. I know a lot of people ask if the price for games have ever been cheaper in past sales, and on occasion that has been the case.

[quote name='doodofdoods']If we keep this thread this thread needs to chronicle all the deals that steam has had and store them for future reference. I know a lot of people ask if the price for games have ever been cheaper in past sales, and on occasion that has been the case.[/QUOTE]
They will still ask. Also the thread will be restarted every few months anyway as posts get too heavy.

[quote name='pROvIs']They will still ask. Also the thread will be restarted every few months anyway as posts get too heavy.[/QUOTE]

They will, but they can be directed to the op, where actual answers await.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back