Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='doodofdoods']They will, but they can be directed to the op, where actual answers await.[/QUOTE]

But you are referring to a an entire price tracker/Wiki/DB. It's more than a forum was ever intended to do let alone one person maintaining it.

There are also no less than three websites tracking Steam prices already (ala Camel), so those can be consulted. Alternatively, simply googling the game name + steam sale.

[quote name='xHOJUx']If you log onto Cheapassgamer to check what the Steam deals are you're doing it wrong, just go to Steam itself and save yourself some trouble. I just come here to talk about the deals, not get breaking news that's easier to get from the source.[/QUOTE]

That's my view point as well.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']That's my view point as well.[/QUOTE]

Except your both missing the point of CAG. CAG is a site where you can find all current known video game deals cataloged. If I do it your way it means going to Amazon seeing if they have any deals, then steam and seeing if they have any, then gamestop, then best buy etc etc etc. Yes I could just check steam and then each of those sites individually, but the reason CAG was useful was because I could just come here to the forums browse through the topics and see if anything catches my eye and if it does I buy. I checked CAG randomly a few times through the day and each time it took me all of 30 seconds to scroll through the topics and see if any new deals were posted. As it stands this topic adds an extra step since instead of simply spotting a new steam deal posted on the forums I have to come here and search through the last few pages to see if anything is posted or not, a process that can take a few mins. If we have this topic then why not one for best buy, one for amazon, etc etc? Why not just give every business its own little topic and then we can go through the inconvenience of searching through each topic to try and find what deals are going on. Not trying to be a dick, just being rational and pointing out that this topic complicates things not makes them better. If Steam starts having multiple deals a day then I agree this topic has a very useful purpose, but as it stands its just a pain.

Edit - And btw not all steam deals are always posted on the front page. Lots of pre purchases and temporary sales are available at any given moment that if you just check the steam page you miss.

The thing I love about this site is the fact I will find out about games I have never even heard of before. Just going to Steam doesn't help me in that matter. CAG rocks for this kind of info.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Except your both missing the point of CAG. CAG is a site where you can find all current known video game deals cataloged. If I do it your way it means going to Amazon seeing if they have any deals, then steam and seeing if they have any, then gamestop, then best buy etc etc etc. Yes I could just check steam and then each of those sites individually, but the reason CAG was useful was because I could just come here to the forums browse through the topics and see if anything catches my eye and if it does I buy. I checked CAG randomly a few times through the day and each time it took me all of 30 seconds to scroll through the topics and see if any new deals were posted. As it stands this topic adds an extra step since instead of simply spotting a new steam deal posted on the forums I have to come here and search through the last few pages to see if anything is posted or not, a process that can take a few mins. If we have this topic then why not one for best buy, one for amazon, etc etc? Why not just give every business its own little topic and then we can go through the inconvenience of searching through each topic to try and find what deals are going on. Not trying to be a dick, just being rational and pointing out that this topic complicates things not makes them better. If Steam starts having multiple deals a day then I agree this topic has a very useful purpose, but as it stands its just a pain.

Edit - And btw not all steam deals are always posted on the front page. Lots of pre purchases and temporary sales are available at any given moment that if you just check the steam page you miss.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of this.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Except your both missing the point of CAG. CAG is a site where you can find all current known video game deals cataloged. If I do it your way it means going to Amazon seeing if they have any deals, then steam and seeing if they have any, then gamestop, then best buy etc etc etc. Yes I could just check steam and then each of those sites individually, but the reason CAG was useful was because I could just come here to the forums browse through the topics and see if anything catches my eye and if it does I buy. I checked CAG randomly a few times through the day and each time it took me all of 30 seconds to scroll through the topics and see if any new deals were posted. As it stands this topic adds an extra step since instead of simply spotting a new steam deal posted on the forums I have to come here and search through the last few pages to see if anything is posted or not, a process that can take a few mins. If we have this topic then why not one for best buy, one for amazon, etc etc? Why not just give every business its own little topic and then we can go through the inconvenience of searching through each topic to try and find what deals are going on. Not trying to be a dick, just being rational and pointing out that this topic complicates things not makes them better. If Steam starts having multiple deals a day then I agree this topic has a very useful purpose, but as it stands its just a pain.

Edit - And btw not all steam deals are always posted on the front page. Lots of pre purchases and temporary sales are available at any given moment that if you just check the steam page you miss.[/QUOTE]

This x3.

It takes way more time to scan each thread to see if there are deals relevant to me than to scan the forum.

Also I am much more inclined to value product pages over store pages. Steam is a bit of an exception because no one really offers the service they do but one of my major problems with the target/kmart/etc threads is that those stores by themselves don't interest me its what is on sale that does. In other words, I don't care where I have to buy an item usually as long as it's a good price. It is the item I want and don't care about the store so I don't understand why we group things specifically by store. Are there specific store loyalists that are only interested in deals if they are at their particular vendor? I'm not quite sure.

[quote name='forbiddenx']Steam does hold them regularly though, they have the midweek and weekend sales.

Possibly will have developer weeks like always too from time to time.

EastX has put a lot of effort and has continued to for the community. Especially with all the reviews and how everything is laid out. Its good for the discussion and I've asked several times whether or not a game was worth it or not and received good feedback.

Although, I do agree with the surprise sales. Those are the ones that should be getting their own thread. It shouldn't be a problem to merge it later on though? Especially if it's just a short burst sale like $2.50 TF2.

Other than that I don't see a problem with the midweek/weekend deals staying in this thread.

Thanks again EastX for all the effort![/QUOTE]

:applause: Well put and I agree with this. Major props to Eastx for his contributions and effort in maintaining this thread. It's easy for people to suggest but it's another to keep a thread updated regularly like he does.

I don't want to have to look through many different Steam threads. This main thread is fine for the occasional sale and I think the midweek and weekend sales keep it alive and organized. It's the MAJOR sales like the Holday sale where things get chaotic especially due to their length so those deserve separate threads.

Also Amazon is a different beast than Steam. Steam is focused on selling one product: PC games, and they show the major sales on the Update page when you boot it and on the front page of the Store. Amazon has so many damn departments overall and many inside their Video Game section so I don't think it's a fair comparison even though I know what you are saying. I wish the CAG Price Tracker could include PC games with Steam, D2D, and other digital storefronts but at this point I like that all of the smaller/shorter Steam sales are able to be discussed in one convenient place.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']There are also no less than three websites tracking Steam prices already (ala Camel), so those can be consulted. Alternatively, simply googling the game name + steam sale.[/QUOTE]

Oh really? I'm fairly new to Steam, so I'm not familiar with these sites. Anybody care to name them? I'd like to check them out.

Edit: Never mind. Just googled it.

6/30

7/1

7/4

7/7

7/8

7/09

[quote name='The End']Oh really? I'm fairly new to Steam, so I'm not familiar with these sites. Anybody care to name them? I'd like to check them out.

Edit: Never mind. Just googled it.[/QUOTE]

And that's how it's done. There's no need to catalog every sell, as it most likely cataloged elsewhere. If anything, Eastx can just provide a link to one such site and be done with it.

I use a PC, so I don't know if this will work but I use the Xbox 360 controller emulator and set it up with my PS2 controller. As long as the program works with Mac, then it should work for you.

Wow, some interesting discussion about the future of the thread. We had the exact same debate when I first created the thread, but it went away for a while since Steam had 3 huge sales in a row.

A few people have pointed out that I'm not great at updating the thread in a timely manner. This is due to the fact that I work graveyards several days a week so I'm sometimes asleep at 10 AM PST when the Steam site updates. Also I was sick for the last few days of the Holiday Sale. But you know, when I get up, I sit at the computer for 30-45 minutes updating the thread and researching reviews/videos/etc.

If other people create individual deal threads (and I'm not saying they shouldn't), will those threads be guaranteed to:
  1. Link to professional reviews of the games that are on sale
  2. Post YouTube trailers for those games
  3. Post both the original and sale prices (I find percentages off are not as useful)
  4. Link to relevant CAG Steam groups and group buy threads, and...
  5. Be any kind of organized?

The support from NeoGutsman, ForbiddenX, DukeEdwardI, HeSaveDave, Jesse Dylan, Sp8001, Jester55, Momouchi, Blitzwn, Simpsonps, Pheace, Fearbeard, Jj5206, Terlan, Daroga, xHojuX, Speedracer, and others is really touching. Thanks everyone! I love it when my efforts are appreciated. I won't be getting burned out any time soon. :)

If you like what I do, please continue to support the thread (and the new version I'll create soon because the post count is getting too high) by subscribing to it and posting in it. People who do not see the need for a general Steam deals thread are not obligated to use the thread when big sales aren't going on.

This thread is fine for all the steam deals. I don't understand why there would need to be another thread for those big "chaotic" sales. I don't even know what that means. East just had to update once a day.

If Anything I just think there should have been more in the header outlining the highlights of the day.

[quote name='MSI Magus']

I will drop this now since as I said before, I really have lost any interest in being a part of this community anymore and people will just keep missing the point and insulting each other either way. As I said my view is this just complicates things unless we have someone in control of the topic that can update it in an extremely timely fashion.[/QUOTE]

Thought you were done?

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']This thread is fine for all the steam deals. I don't understand why there would need to be another thread for those big "chaotic" sales. I don't even know what that means. East just had to update once a day.

If Anything I just think there should have been more in the header outlining the highlights of the day.[/QUOTE]

This!!! I don't mind a big thread but the highlights should be in the title when something major is afoot. and the OP should be useful too! (Which it has been Thanks eastx!!!!)

I know the point of CAG is a place where you can find all current video games deals. However, if I'm looking for a Steam deal I don't go to CAG first. I normally check the Steam forums since they typically know before CAG. I'm not really for or against either one, I think the way it's been working in the past is fine. It's been like that for several years and I don't see any reason to change it since it works. As for Amazon and deals like that someone has to search for the deals anyways so they do go to Amazon or Best Buy first and CAG or SD or FW second.

Even if there was a specific Steam deal thread people will still create individual deal threads because they can't be bothered to use the search function. I say eastx can continue doing his thing because he has more front page info than the standard description then "link to said game on sale" post. Nothing is stopping other CAGs from posting an individual thread for each mid week and weekend sale that pops up so I doubt those will go away completely. Both of these can co-exist and please both sides of the discussion.

[quote name='eastx']
If other people create individual deal threads (and I'm not saying they shouldn't), will those threads be guaranteed to:
  1. Link to professional reviews of the games that are on sale
  2. Post YouTube trailers for those games
  3. Post both the original and sale prices (I find percentages off are not as useful)
  4. Link to relevant CAG Steam groups and group buy threads, and...
  5. Be any kind of organized?
[/QUOTE]Respectfully:
None of this interests me on the "deals" board. 20 seconds of work with Google gets me all of that information. I already have to click through to the last page of this thread to get deal info, I almost never click through to the first page to see this work you've done. It's good info when I do see it, but your front page is sort of like a physical newspaper in the age of the internet - good analysis of old news. On Steam holiday sales, where sales last just 24 hours, and some of them only 2 hours (Yes, the Valve Complete pack was briefly $25, I saw it), timeliness is everything.

I see the value of your thread as a place to discuss and recommend Steam games. But I think it's out of place on the "deals" forum. There is another forum here for game discussion. And I would happily visit this thread there, a few times each week. I got a really good recommendation in this thread during the holiday sale. And you do good work in a very restrictive medium. But it's in the wrong place, IMHO.

Also - Someone suggested placing deal "highlights" in your topic. This is not effective. Much like the Kmart thread, I've learned that I have to click into the thread to see ALL of the deals. The down side of "Highlights" is "leaving out some deals for others." It is far more effective to have separate topics for each game. That way, we can see them all at a glance, without having to dig into individual threads.

What you might do is post a time stamp in the topic every time you update the first post. That way, we'd know at a glance if there's new info or not.

I think this debate is heading for a stalemate. Or already there. Your thread is popular and has a purpose, but CAGers who visit here 3-4 times a day looking for deals fine less value in it than CAGers who stop in 2-3 times a week. Obviously no one is going to stop you from producing the fine work you do for your thread, but I think we'll see the re-emergence of the one-topic-per-game method, and the two will co-exist.

[quote name='M_F_A_H']I think everyone reading this is savvy enough to avoid this game.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up when it was $1 on games for windows, and thought it was worth that, but not much more.

Blacklight Tango Down has been the same price ($7.49) for the last couple of days on the Games for Windows Marketplace, with the added benefit of paying with Microsoft Points too, so that deal is only a price-match.

Hopefully midweek madness and Weekend deals start back up this coming week. >_> I can appreciate good prices while ignoring my backlog.

Strong Bad is a decent game, can't say I'd pay $15 for it (I was fortunate to pick it up at BB when it was pennied out).

Anyone have any thoughts on Dark Athena - I thought Butcher Bay was decent but I tired of it quickly?

I really wanted to play Riddick when the original came out and the remake. I tried playing the demo when Dark Athena came out and really didn't like it. This price still makes me want to give it a second shot as many games just have really bad demos. Did anyone here try the demo and hate it only to like the game?

Chroinicles of Riddick is worth it just for Butcher's Bay IMO. I really enjoyed that one. I've meant to give Dark Athena a go but haven't got around to it yet. I also got Strong Bad for a penny. I had to call four different BB stores but it was worth the effort.

[quote name='jorgebaron']Has anyone tried Dark Athena on Windows 7? I'd like to know before i buy it[/QUOTE]

Runs just fine on my Window 7 x64 computer. Well at least the Escape from Butcher Bay part, but I bet the other half of the game works the same.

Butcher's Bay was a really fine game and I'm thinking of biting on it for no other reason than to get the remastered version. If I like Dark Athena too, all the better.

The TAGES policy established by the publisher seems reasonable enough even though I hate the idea of limiting installs even on a temporary basis.

When I look at the RPG section the picture for Titan's Quest suspiciously says:

"Tuesday's THQ Sale! Act now to save big on Titan Quest!"

Still 9.99 atm though ... foreboding or something I missed?

[quote name='jorgebaron']Has anyone tried Dark Athena on Windows 7? I'd like to know before i buy it[/QUOTE]
I have Win7 64 bit and tried to install the disc version of this game. It wouldn't work because I had to update the Tages drivers to the 64 bit version. I really didn't want to do that, so I instead installed it to my Win XP machine.

The Steam version probably already has the 64 bit version of Tages, but if not be prepared to update it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back