Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and got Dark Athena just for Butcher Bay. I remember playing back a few years ago but stopped playing half way into it. Maybe this time I will actually finish it.

[quote name='Pheace']When I look at the RPG section the picture for Titan's Quest suspiciously says:

"Tuesday's THQ Sale! Act now to save big on Titan Quest!"

Still 9.99 atm though ... foreboding or something I missed?[/QUOTE]

That's a glitch/oversight, leftover from the THQ Week sale months ago.

I'd love to play King's Bounty, but when I tried a demo, I had major flickering. The Steam forums claim it's a fairly common issue. I tried all the workarounds, but nothing worked.

[quote name='jester55']I assume Dark Athena and Butcher Bay both are Xbox controller compatible? Which is best? Xbox controller or KB/M?[/QUOTE]

It's an FPS. What do you think?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']It's an FPS. What do you think?[/QUOTE]
For starters, you don't have to be a smart ass about it! It's a simple question. Either you know the answer or you don't. Apparently you don't...
Second thing is that it's not clear dark Athena is was a fps from the pics, plus there are a few fps that play better with a controller.
Good thing I'm not a newb or I might be offended. Either way, you need to not be such a rude jackass. I can't help if you didn't know the answer to the question and you wanted to attempt to sound like you knew what you were talking about.

Alright, guess I'm done with my rant!

Go Steelers!

so i already have Butchers Bay on PC from years ago.......should i basically buy it again for dark athena and better graphics?? 5 bucks is chump change but should i?

[quote name='sublime90']so i already have Butchers Bay on PC from years ago.......should i basically buy it again for dark athena and better graphics?? 5 bucks is chump change but should i?[/QUOTE]

Dark Athena isn't as good as Butcher Bay, but it's still pretty good, and the new graphics in Butcher Bay do look really nice. I played it again, anyways.

[quote name='jester55']For starters, you don't have to be a smart ass about it! It's a simple question. Either you know the answer or you don't. Apparently you don't...
Second thing is that it's not clear dark Athena is was a fps from the pics, plus there are a few fps that play better with a controller.
Good thing I'm not a newb or I might be offended. Either way, you need to not be such a rude jackass. I can't help if you didn't know the answer to the question and you wanted to attempt to sound like you knew what you were talking about.

Alright, guess I'm done with my rant!

Go Steelers![/QUOTE]
Don't feed the troll. Gamepad should be just fine if thats the way you wanna play it.

[quote name='jester55']I assume Dark Athena and Butcher Bay both are Xbox controller compatible? Which is best? Xbox controller or KB/M?[/QUOTE]
I've played the PC version with keyboard and mouse, and the console version with an Xbox controller (obviously), and I prefer the controller.

[quote name='lito88']Don't feed the troll. Gamepad should be just fine if thats the way you wanna play it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks and you are right.

[quote name='Brak']I've played the PC version with keyboard and mouse, and the console version with an Xbox controller (obviously), and I prefer the controller.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. You answered what I was curious about.

Just a quick report for those interested. I went ahead and purchased the game. At 5 bucks it was worth the risk. I am very happy I took the risk the demo I played must have been from dark athena and not butcher bay. So far the game is a blast and I'm really enjoying it. Even though I'm usually the opposite, I tried gamepad and kb/mouse and preffered the gamepad.

On another note I did have some initial hardware issues hopefully I save someone the 30 minutes to an hour I went through. First off the game seems to have fairly poor optimization. I have a GTX 470 and a Core i7 processor and whenever I would turn on any kind of AA the game would slow to a crawl. Good news is it looks just fine without it. I am running windows 7 x64 with latest nvidia beta drivers on a 60 inch pioneer plasma tv @ 1080p. I had some initial hardware issues with the game (black screen at launch). I installed the x64 Tages drivers from their site and still had the problem. I hit alt-enter to put it in a window and it launched fine. After I set my video settings the game worked fine full screen. I think it was a refresh rate problem as it kept trying to force very low 26 refresh rate etc.

Both seem problematic for me ssao runs great at medium but the second it goes to high everything goes down to like 10 fps. If I recall it doesn't even let you turn on ssao and aa at the same time.

However, aa the second it is on, everything slows down. It really reeks if poor code. I saw that when this came out nvidia put out a driver release just for this game. However, that is almost 2 years ago and doesn't support 400 series cards. However, I didn't check but nvidia might be forcing aa on in the control panel.

This is the only game I've had any issues, like this with though. Like I said at least it looks good regardless and I haven't noticed jaggies.

Already have Rearmed on PS3, but was thinking about getting it cheap on PC. Didn't play it too much on the PS3, but may need to bite on this.

Wow. Capcom has got some balls, putting the PC version of Bionic Commando Rearmed on sale and drawing attention to it, just two weeks before Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 launches on Xbox 360 and PS3, but not PC (with no plans for a PC release at all). That's a cruel and shameless tease.

"Hey PC fans, Capcom here, we're not ever going to give you the sequel, but hey, why don't you buy the first one anyways? It'll be a great teaser of what you can't have! And it's not like we didn't already rip PC players off enough by initially charging them $15 for the game instead of the $10 it sold for on consoles, and by never releasing the extra PC-exclusive challenge rooms we promised before launch."

And on top of that, I already have a distaste for this thing, because it was developed by Fatshark, who so spectacularly botched the release of their first game, Lead & Gold, resulting in a multiplayer community that fizzled out after just a few weeks, before they abandoned it to work on this game instead. But hey, I'll give them credit, they released ONE whole extra map post-launch, before throwing in the towel. That'd be fine, if they hadn't made so many promises about providing extended post-launch support and new maps and new classes and game-expanding updates and other new content for many months to come. Ugh. These guys suck.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Wow. Capcom has got some balls, putting the PC version of Bionic Commando Rearmed on sale and drawing attention to it, just two weeks before Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 launches on Xbox 360 and PS3, but not PC (with no plans for a PC release at all). That's a cruel and shameless tease.

"Hey PC fans, Capcom here, we're not ever going to give you the sequel, but hey, why don't you buy the first one anyways? It'll be a great teaser of what you can't have! And it's not like we didn't already rip PC players off enough by initially charging them $15 for the game instead of the $10 it sold for on consoles, and by never releasing the extra PC-exclusive challenge rooms we promised before launch."

And on top of that, I already have a distaste for this thing, because it was developed by Fatshark, who so spectacularly botched the release of their first game, Lead & Gold, resulting in a multiplayer community that fizzled out after just a few weeks, before they abandoned it to work on this game instead. But hey, I'll give them credit, they released ONE whole extra map post-launch, before throwing in the towel. That'd be fine, if they hadn't made so many promises about providing extended post-launch support and new maps and new classes and game-expanding updates and other new content for many months to come. Ugh. These guys suck.[/QUOTE]

Did it occur to you that they might be gauging interest by running a reasonable sale on a game to determine how many people are even aware of a sale on its predecessor? Or that getting people NOT to buy the game on a given platform is probably the best way to stop getting ports to said platform?

No? Well, carry on then!

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']Did it occur to you that they might be gauging interest by running a reasonable sale on a game to determine how many people are even aware of a sale on its predecessor? Or that getting people NOT to buy the game on a given platform is probably the best way to stop getting ports to said platform?

No? Well, carry on then![/QUOTE]

I abso-fucking-lutely refuse to give any consideration to the idiotic and inane notion that the past two-and-a-half years of sales data on the PC version aren't enough for them to go on to make that kind of decision, or that the entire decision on whether or not to bring the sequel to PC would be based on this one half-off sale on the first one, two weeks before the sequel launches.

You're not, like, actually implying that anything that Capcom does on the PC market makes any fucking sense or is driven by any discernible reason, are you? This is the outfit that still hasn't given us any RE5 DLC, will never give us Super Street Fighter IV, and who decided it was necessary to impose limited SecuROM activations on a $5 downloadable game. And all the while, of course, their PR mouthpieces go on and on about how in touch they are with their PC users, and how committed they are and how how much they're doing for that market.

Capcom's PC efforts suck. It was looking up for a while, with the spectacular PC versions of DMC4 and SFIV, but since then, it's been all bullshit. MVC3 and SSFIV will never happen on PC, but hey, Capcom made damn sure we got Dark Void on the same day as the console versions! Just what everybody really wanted!

Carry fucking on, indeed.

BC:R actually launched at $15 on PC (when the console versions were $10).

Capcom's strange PC decisions are driven by the Japanese side of the company and various internal conflicts. Capcom USA is extremely levelheaded and run by good people, but they're limited in what they can do by the higher ups in Japanland.

Also, let's keep the language clean!

\
picture.php

[quote name='eastx']BC:R actually launched at $15 on PC (when the console versions were $10).[/quote]
I know. I alluded to that.

Capcom's strange PC decisions are driven by the Japanese side of the company and various internal conflicts. Capcom USA is extremely levelheaded and run by good people, but they're limited in what they can do by the higher ups in Japanland.
That's great, but it doesn't change much to us customers.

Also, let's keep the language clean!
No offense, dude, but who died and made you mod? ;)

Anyways, here's some coming soon crap to ease the mood around here:
  • Drawn: The Painted Tower
  • Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money DLC
  • Post Apocalyptic Mayhem

Also, the destructible-environment-focused multiplayer FPS Breach will be launching on Steam on January 26th, and guess what, PC users will only have to pay $5 more for the PC version, than the nearly-identical XBLA version ($20 versus $15, to be specific). But don't worry, as a concession for the otherwise inexplicably higher price, PC users are getting exclusive "support for larger explosions, particle effects and more through NVIDIA® PhysX® technology."

Truly, it is a marvelous age for PC gaming. What a privilege, to be given the opportunity to have to pay a mere 33% markup over a console version of a game, apparently as a tax for bigger 'splosions and more cheesy particle effects.

Dead Space 1 is 75% off when you pre-order Dead Space 2, but it stayed at the discount rate when added it to my cart without DS2 - including all the way to the last purchase screen. (Didn't actually buy it, though.)

Dead Space is $6.80 this weekend. At this price, all I can say is "why don't you have this yet?"

Meanwhile, GFWL counters with 7 Wonders for for $5. Mysteriously, customers are not flocking over from Steam. It's like some executive somewhere said, "Let's create our own version of Steam, except give it a half-assed client and never put anything good on sale!"

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Also, the destructible-environment-focused multiplayer FPS Breach will be launching on Steam on January 26th, and guess what, PC users will only have to pay $5 more for the PC version, than the nearly-identical XBLA version ($20 versus $15, to be specific). But don't worry, as a concession for the otherwise inexplicably higher price, PC users are getting exclusive "support for larger explosions, particle effects and more through NVIDIA® PhysX® technology."

Truly, it is a marvelous age for PC gaming. What a privilege, to be given the opportunity to have to pay a mere 33% markup over a console version of a game, apparently as a tax for bigger 'splosions and more cheesy particle effects.[/QUOTE]

Instant no-buy from me. Granted, god only knows I need more shooters for Q1 2011 (MNC, Crysis 2, Brink)

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Instant no-buy from me. Granted, god only knows I need more shooters for Q1 2011 (MNC, Crysis 2, Brink)[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, the PC version sounds good, otherwise. It has dedicated servers, and seems to be fully Steamworks-integrated. I'm still keeping my eye on it. If a good community crops up, I might give it another chance.

Ya know...today was a good day. The three games that I regret not getting during the holiday Steam/Digital Download sales was Mass Effect 1 + 2 and Deadspace on PC. Between today's EA sale and this Dead Space sale...very good day.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I abso-fucking-lutely refuse to give any consideration to the idiotic and inane notion that the past two-and-a-half years of sales data on the PC version aren't enough for them to go on to make that kind of decision, or that the entire decision on whether or not to bring the sequel to PC would be based on this one half-off sale on the first one, two weeks before the sequel launches.

You're not, like, actually implying that anything that Capcom does on the PC market makes any fucking sense or is driven by any discernible reason, are you? This is the outfit that still hasn't given us any RE5 DLC, will never give us Super Street Fighter IV, and who decided it was necessary to impose limited SecuROM activations on a $5 downloadable game. And all the while, of course, their PR mouthpieces go on and on about how in touch they are with their PC users, and how committed they are and how how much they're doing for that market.

Capcom's PC efforts suck. It was looking up for a while, with the spectacular PC versions of DMC4 and SFIV, but since then, it's been all bullshit. MVC3 and SSFIV will never happen on PC, but hey, Capcom made damn sure we got Dark Void on the same day as the console versions! Just what everybody really wanted!

Carry fucking on, indeed.[/QUOTE]

It's quite possible that Capcom considers that many gamers own a gaming PC AND one or more consoles? Someone might pick up Rearmed on PC today and then decide they love it and buy 2 on 360 or PS3...

Capcom probably just didn't get enough money from the PC side. Stop whining and buy a 360 or PS3.

If you choose not to that's your choice but it's not Capcom's fault. They don't exist to serve your irrational whims.

^It's logic like that that's going to kill the PC gaming community.

It's pretty obvious that there are way more 360/PS3 owners and they'll always generate more income just because of the volume. It doesn't mean that they should just turn a blind eye to the PC gamers.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm trying to remember, was Dead Space more or less than this during the Holiday Sale? Also will it support a 360 controller?[/QUOTE]
It was the same price.

[quote name='etcrane']I'm trying to remember, was Dead Space more or less than this during the Holiday Sale? Also will it support a 360 controller?[/QUOTE]

yes it was the same price and yes it supports the xbox 360 controller, all you have to do is plug it in

[quote name='spacebooger']Anyone play A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda?
I'm thinking about picking it up.[/QUOTE]

It does look pretty sweet. Apparently it's just the first chapter though. I'm going to hold out for when all of the chapters are out and then there's a deal on that pack.

Nice ... in for Dead Space, thanks for the responses.

Oh, and slightly off topic ... EA is a joke, what the hell is up with that Facebook EA Store promo ... 1st hundred people get DS for 75% off but I'm pretty sure it's +tax and the damn code didn't work when I got to the confirmation page ... would have accidentally paid $20 for it if I hadn't been paying attention. Lame EA ... lame

[quote name='etcrane']Nice ... in for Dead Space, thanks for the responses.

Oh, and slightly off topic ... EA is a joke, what the hell is up with that Facebook EA Store promo ... 1st hundred people get DS for 75% off but I'm pretty sure it's +tax and the damn code didn't work when I got to the confirmation page ... would have accidentally paid $20 for it if I hadn't been paying attention. Lame EA ... lame[/QUOTE]
it's + tax and shipping so it comes out to about $12. should i just get it for the pc?

[quote name='forbiddenx']^At first I thought that was Dungeon Defenders and when i saw the price i was like :O :|[/QUOTE]

Its actually a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper. Which is one of the best pc games of all time!

[quote name='jab1235']it's + tax and shipping so it comes out to about $12. should i just get it for the pc?[/QUOTE]

I just did, and I bought the PS3 version at launch, if your system can handle it then I would say the PC version is the definitive one to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back