Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought EU3. Promptly got destroyed in the game. :) Easy to see 2 things.
1. replay value is HUGE.
2. You need to print a manual out for this thing.... WOW.

This isn't my thing but it looks like there is a new Sims 3 Ultimate bundle on sale for $89.97

It gets you:

The Sims 3
The Sims 3: Fast Lane Stuff
The Sims 3: High-End Loft Stuff
The Sims 3: Late Night
The Sims 3: World Adventures
The Sims 3: Ambitions

[quote name='pROvIs']This isn't my thing but it looks like there is a new Sims 3 Ultimate bundle on sale for $89.97

It gets you:

The Sims 3
The Sims 3: Fast Lane Stuff
The Sims 3: High-End Loft Stuff
The Sims 3: Late Night
The Sims 3: World Adventures
The Sims 3: Ambitions[/QUOTE]

And that's already half price btw xD

I'd buy it for $30, but not $90. :)

I'm kind of looking forward to Sims 3 Medieval or whatever it's called. I hope they don't eff it up. Don't see that on Steam yet, but I hope if it's a decent game, it gets on there and they have a deal for it. Sims 3 Medieval triggers my nerd reflex the way the very first Sims did, when it was a nerdy Will Wright game and not a pop-culture phenomenon that housewives played dress-up with (no offense).

Could anybody help and buy for me Penny Arcade pack ? I will refund immediately. I'm form Europe and I'm not supporting the 1$=1€ thing

Has anyone on here ever bought a steam gift from someone online such as from ebay for example. And do you think steam will close my account if I redeem it?

Probably going to pick up PA games, its too bad it isn't nearly this cheap on XBLA (would rather play it on there), and also too bad they didn't continue them.

[quote name='Cornkrise']Has anyone on here ever bought a steam gift from someone online such as from ebay for example. And do you think steam will close my account if I redeem it?[/QUOTE]

depends if it was bought with stolen credit card or not ;p

Direct2Drive has a coupon for 20% off anything (wetkitty) that's good through Monday. There are two new titles that are Steamworks enabled:
Magicka - $7.96 after coupon
Breach - $9.56 after coupon (from already discounted price)

Personally, I'm going to pass on Breach since I've many excellent FPS games already. Magicka looks like Gauntlet of sorts, but this Ali G parody sealed the deal for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFKqYU36Krc

[quote name='fr9']depends if it was bought with stolen credit card or not ;p[/QUOTE]

If it was then you can contest it with paypal/ebay and get the seller banned as well as a refund.

[quote name='Bloodbooger']Hmm.. Magicka review on IGN is positive but states it's buggy as hell.[/QUOTE]

On the bright side, the developer has already released FOUR patches for the game fixing a lot of bugs. It sucks the game was released in the state that it was, but to have released four patches in less than a week after release (where many other developers would take weeks or even months to release a single patch) is quite commendable.

[quote name='jimbodan']Is Europa III complete no longer on sale?[/QUOTE]

This game and the third expansion are still on sale for the same price over at direct2drive.com. Use the wetkitty code to get 20% off on top of that!

I don't know if the expansion will work if you bought the full game on steam, though.

QUESTION: Can I buy a game through D2D and gift it to a friend? I want to buy Magicka for a buddy. Can he just activate it to his account on Steam by using the key?

EDIT: nevermind, found the "buy as gift" option available in the cart.

[quote name='supershammy']This game and the third expansion are still on sale for the same price over at direct2drive.com. Use the wetkitty code to get 20% off on top of that!

I don't know if the expansion will work if you bought the full game on steam, though.

QUESTION: Can I buy a game through D2D and gift it to a friend? I want to buy Magicka for a buddy. Can he just activate it to his account on Steam by using the key?

EDIT: nevermind, found the "buy as gift" option available in the cart.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? I just went there and made an account and it looks like it's $19.99 and the expansion also looks to be full price.

Yep, PA combo pack for me as well. I'm going to wait a bit on Magicka to see if they can iron out more bugs - oh... and for a better sale. ;)

[quote name='Guerrilla']Direct2Drive has a coupon for 20% off anything (wetkitty) that's good through Monday. There are two new titles that are Steamworks enabled:
Magicka - $7.96 after coupon
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Used this to get Magicka. I took the Breach stuff out of your quote, because..... well..... ew yuck.

[quote name='hal']I'm going to wait a bit on Magicka to see if they can iron out more bugs - oh... and for a better sale. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'd be fine paying the full 10 for it if it worked, not worth the hassle at this point is seems like. Although, they've been patching the shit out of the game already, so hopefully it won't be too long.

[quote name='jimbodan']Are you sure? I just went there and made an account and it looks like it's $19.99 and the expansion also looks to be full price.[/QUOTE]

It was when I posted, yeah. I picked up the expansion for $1.80. On a side note, it installed fine on my Steam copy of Universalis III complete.

A note about Blue Toad: I picked it up during the winter sale and while I liked the episode I played, I really recommend playing with someone else. It has a very clear goal of having players compete against each other.

[quote name='Blade']Rather on the fence about Numen. Sure, it's $2, but it doesn't have any Steam achievements and I could only find one review for it -- a C+ from GamingNexus:

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Numen-Contest-of-Heroes/Item2773.aspx[/QUOTE]

I am a HUGE fan of Diablo style games and still thought Numen was very eh. Not enough items, far too much backtracking, far too much empty spaces, repetitive etc etc. I got it for around $2 as well and to be honest id rather have had 2 KFC Snackers ;(

Its not horrible, but its a C- title at best and with Torchlight 2 right around the corner I say skip it.

[quote name='Kurina']Didn't see this posted yet, but to be fair it's early and I don't have much time to skim the entire thread. I saw the title of the thread about Fallen Earth for $10. No point paying that, as Alienware is giving away free product keys.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/fallen-earth[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this tip!

Before anyone gets too excited, know that this is a monthly subscription game. Still, 30 days free with a key is a good deal.

[quote name='Kurina']Didn't see this posted yet, but to be fair it's early and I don't have much time to skim the entire thread. I saw the title of the thread about Fallen Earth for $10. No point paying that, as Alienware is giving away free product keys.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/fallen-earth[/QUOTE]

Damn, I jumped on this before I saw that it was $14.99/month to play it. If this key includes the free month that the purchased version does, I may try it for that, but I don't see myself getting into a monthly fee for it.

Hey guys I think that I purchased Day of Defeat:Source before but its not in my games catalog thing. Is there a page that shows me all the games I have purchased ?

There is a list that shows what you have purchased. I am not entirely sure where it was but I am pretty sure it was under "my account" or equivalent button on the steam client. Sorry that I can't be of more help since I am at work but wanted to tell you that it does exist.

[quote name='topplehat']Is Global Agenda any good though? Sounds kinda interesting.[/QUOTE]

There is a demo that walks you through character creation and basic combat and navigation. It's actually an excellent demo, but it doesn't give you any of the multiplayer flavor.

This is a game that I've never bought (did the demo tho), but I really admire it. I signed up for the newsletter way back when they were in pre-beta stages, and I've watched it grow through the beta, through that early phase where there was a free model and a subscription model, then they abandoned the subscription and just made it all free. And all the while, they pump out update after update with lots of new content. TF2 comes to mind when thinking of games that get this much continual free love from it's developers. It's really impressive. Maybe it's time I ponied up.

I've said this every time GA goes on sale and I'll continue to. GA is a pretty good game. I bought it for the beta and have logged about 60 hours with it. If you're looking for an MMO like WoW that you can pour yourself in to though, look elsewhere.

The game started off marketed as an action-MMO, but they quickly started dropping most of the MMO talk. The game, at its heart, is a 3rd person tribes-style shooter with a lobby. There's really nothing exceptionally MMO about it aside from its PvE area which no one uses.

The combat is pretty good, like I said, fairly tribesish. Objective based gameplay with your standard archetypes of classes (Tank, healer, sniper, builder etc.). Each class has 2 specified talent trees that vastly differ, practically making it 8 classes. They also share a 'general' tree. As you level, you unlock a variety of weapons, not necessarily better or worse than the previous ones (Not until the really high levels though, but they keep people in a similar level bracket) which is nice because a level 1 can still easily kill a level 15 if they're a genuinely better player.

There's some instanced PvE which is fun, but nothing ground breaking. You fight AI robots and top it off with a boss. This is useful for getting money and materials for crafting. There're also clan matches which are fought for spaces on a map. This is where the game shines most, but unfortunately suffers from people making 300+ player clans just to control the map. If you find a decent sized tight-knit group to stake your claim in the map though, it's a blast.

All in all, it was worth the 40 I payed for it, it's most definitely worth the 7.50 it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back