Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Cause 2 is AWESOME. Pure video game fun. I'd not bother with the 1st as you don't need to to get the 2nd one, the story is simple and mostly an excuse for missions.

question here guys, I don't use steam very much. I downloaded Amnesia for my Mac and was going to split the price with a buddy and let him login under my username and download it to his PC. He tried it and it's not working, is there any way to do this? I'm not familiar with gameshares and stuff, both of us are mainly console gamers...

[quote name='mr_bungle']question here guys, I don't use steam very much. I downloaded Amnesia for my Mac and was going to split the price with a buddy and let him login under my username and download it to his PC. He tried it and it's not working, is there any way to do this? I'm not familiar with gameshares and stuff, both of us are mainly console gamers...[/QUOTE]

I don't know why that wouldn't work. I use the same steam account between both of my computers and games will download on both just fine. Both of mine are PCs though. Don't know if that would matter.

[quote name='mr_bungle']question here guys, I don't use steam very much. I downloaded Amnesia for my Mac and was going to split the price with a buddy and let him login under my username and download it to his PC. He tried it and it's not working, is there any way to do this? I'm not familiar with gameshares and stuff, both of us are mainly console gamers...[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, you are in violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement (section 1) and can have your account disabled and access to your games revoked, if you're discovered. Might want to reconsider that, for your own good.

I picked up JC 2 during the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale and it was well worth it! Story line is meh but, the fun you can have just running around and trying different stuff on the island was very fun!

7.50 for Just Cause 2 is extremely tempting, although i'd rather get is for my ps3 because i think it'd be alot easier (and a lot more fun) with a controller rather a mouse and keyboard

[quote name='shiny_dante']7.50 for Just Cause 2 is extremely tempting, although i'd rather get is for my ps3 because i think it'd be alot easier (and a lot more fun) with a controller rather a mouse and keyboard[/QUOTE]

Having played it on PS3 and PC, I think it's much, much better on PC. I find that the speed and precision of mouseaim makes it easier to have fun and do more things with the grappling hook.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Congratulations, you are in violation of the Steam Subscriber Agreement (section 1) and can have your account disabled and access to your games revoked, if you're discovered. Might want to reconsider that, for your own good.[/QUOTE]

I have Portal, which was free, and Amnesia...so it's not a big deal to me. I don't see the big deal either in sharing games like that. I know MS is 100% against it, but Sony fully supports this. As a result I've bought several PSOne games I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Sony doesn't actually support game sharing. That's why some games are starting to require an online connection, so that two people can't use a single game's license at the same time. But it would be better not to discuss such topics in this thread.

[quote name='shiny_dante']7.50 for Just Cause 2 is extremely tempting, although i'd rather get is for my ps3 because i think it'd be alot easier (and a lot more fun) with a controller rather a mouse and keyboard[/QUOTE]

Well, you are right. It is a lot more fun and easy to control with a controller (IMO). You can still play it on the computer though. I used a 360 controller and enjoyed the far superior PC graphics.

I got Just Cause 2 last week when that site had the British Pounds price set to 2.50, so it was about $4 USD and as my Steam card show, I've been playing the heck out of it. I've got 13-1/2 hours in and it says I'm only at 9% completion. It looks great on my PC and it's fun blowing sh*t up; I'm using an Xbox 360 controller to play.

However, there's a bit of a learning curve to get the hang of using the grapple and parachute, but when you suss it out, you're like Spiderman. Ammo seems to be in short supply and the black market system isn't well explained. The story is meh compared to the GTA series and the voice acting has to be deliberately terrible to be that bad, but I'm getting my money's worth. Maybe I'll get bored getting around - why the patrol boats are faster than helicopters is a headscratcher - but so far, so good.

So Front Mission today, with all the DLC @ 75% off. For the game and all the DLC, it's at $17.44.

...I kinda wanna see how this is. It's more like Armored Core, I hear, but not as good. But it'd be on the PC!

I like the front mission series and despite it being a departure from its roots I still think it looks decent. Also with a lack of mech games thats enough reason for me to buy it :D . I'm glad they put the DLC on sale. Dunno why they didn't do it with Just Cause 2 (though the dlc for JC2 was only 99 cents)

[quote name='cheapo72']The Prima Guide was dropped to $2.50 last night, as was the Game/Guide pack which brings the price to $1.24.[/QUOTE]The Just Cause 2 one, cuz it's $9.99 now. Drat.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I am willing to bet $5 that Front Mission will be on sale. That game did terribly and is currently sitting at $50. If they can slap a fat 66-80% off, I'm sure they'll draw in a lot of people who think they're getting a great deal, but are really just spending what most sites have it at now.[/QUOTE]

Naiiiiiiled iiiiit. Where's my $5?

I love Front Mission Evolved. It's a travesty to the series and has a silly plot, but I had SO much fun with it. I bought it day one for PC in support of the game.

If anyone wants to split a Portal 2 presale 2-pack, please IM me. I have not been able to locate a posting where these type of meetups should take place outside of this Steam deal thread. I'd prefer to gift paypal payment to another person to avoid sales tax, if possible (I'm a WA resident).

So far I've only touched the single player. Its not mind blowing, as far as story or presentation, but its a solid 3rd person shooter where you pilot a mech with some on foot portions. Kinda sad though to be reading of how dead the online is. Hopefully the sale will breath some life into it.

Man they're putting that game on sale a lot, wasn't it on sale right before the holiday sales, then during them too? At any rate its a fairly good game for those interested.

Hmm I've been wanting to check out supreme commander 2 but I already have Starcraft 2 and Dawn of war 2 and its expansion to get through. That's a lot of RTS on my plate.

Hmm, thinking of getting the Civ4 pack. Haven't played any of them since the very first 3 so any recommendations / detractions for it? 7.50 seems like a great price for the complete pack.

ill probably pass on supreme commander, idk if its a good game or not but it would just be added to the ridiculous backlog i already have.

no point in making it bigger for a game i may never even play.
Hmm, thinking of getting the Civ4 pack. Haven't played any of them since the very first 3 so any recommendations / detractions for it? 7.50 seems like a great price for the complete pack.
uh not really any advice or detractions, it was .75 cents cheaper during the christmas sale but thats about it. pretty amazing value if you like these types of games.

[quote name='Cybolt']Hmm, thinking of getting the Civ4 pack. Haven't played any of them since the very first 3 so any recommendations / detractions for it? 7.50 seems like a great price for the complete pack.[/QUOTE]

Don't hesitate for a second. Totally worth it.

[quote name='Blade3D']Picked up supreme commander 2 and dlc, I have missed it every other time it's been on sale[/QUOTE]

You should of missed it this time too then. You aren't missing anything :D

[quote name='Cybolt']Hmm, thinking of getting the Civ4 pack. Haven't played any of them since the very first 3 so any recommendations / detractions for it? 7.50 seems like a great price for the complete pack.[/QUOTE]

7.50 is great for Civ IV complete. I picked it up at that price a while ago and enjoyed it immensely (although I didn't play Colonization so much).

[quote name='KaOTiK']You should of missed it this time too then. You aren't missing anything :D[/QUOTE]

I'll disagree with you. After the many patches and the inclusion of the latest DLC, the game is now quite fun. While it doesn't live up to SupCom/FA standards, it's still an enjoyable game. At the price, there's quite a lot of value.

[quote name='Terlan']Only 40% off for Civ 5? I was kinda expecting it to be further discounted.[/QUOTE]

On that note:

[quote name='Pheace']For those looking at Civ 5, you might want to take a look at Greenmangaming as well since Saturday the game will be 50% off there:

"Outstanding games from the mighty 2K at great prices. Look out for daily promotions with up to 75% OFF on Mafia, Mafia II, Borderlands and Sid Meier's Civilization® V.

Daily deals:

* Thursday 17th Feb - 75% off Mafia
* Friday 18th Feb - 50% off Borderlands
* Saturday 19th Feb - 50% off Sid Meier's Civilization® V
* Sunday 20th Feb - 50% off Mafia II
"

Considering it's steamworks anyway and I think the base price is already lower than Steam's to begin with this might be a better option.[/quote]

Nice. Considering it, since it has a 90 on metacritic. I couldn't get into Civ Revolution on 360 though. Does that mean I should stay away?

Civ V is a great game, I got it off of Amazon during BF for the same price. You might as well just buy it on steam since you need to activate it on steam anyways.

Really want to pick this up!

I read a lot about bad AI when the game was first reviewed, and remember reading about some patches months ago. Is it a lot better now?

[quote name='fizzywix']Really want to pick this up!

I read a lot about bad AI when the game was first reviewed, and remember reading about some patches months ago. Is it a lot better now?[/QUOTE]

AI is still pretty weak, some spars crashes. A new patch is due to release soon that focuses on balance.

Multiplayer is shot though - don't bother buying this unless you like to play with yourself.

[quote name='youngavatar']I will wait until school over to get this game since i heard how addicting this game is.[/QUOTE]

I'll wait until this year's Christmas Sale because it's pretty much a shoe-in for a low price at that point.

[quote name='eastx']Thread updated with Civ 5 weekend deal. Note that it's apparently only $20 at Greenman Gaming and Steam activatable.[/QUOTE]

$20? Count me in!

Never heard of greenmangaming tho, anyone want to vouch for them?

-

Really tempted to grab Civ5. The only reason I'm holding off is because there will be a "Game of the Year Edition" of the it launching at some point this year, with all the DLC included and whatnot, and I might want to wait to get that. Decisions, decisions.

[quote name='gunstar808']Never heard of greenmangaming tho, anyone want to vouch for them?[/QUOTE]
They're legit. You'll get a Steam key, so the only dealing you'll need to do with Greenmangaming is to buy the game, get the key, activate it on Steam, and then it's all Steam after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back