Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
i got dogfighter from that 5 flight game indie pack during thanksgiving i think. it would be an ok game if people actually played it. the servers were completely empty. i didnt realize until 10 minutes in that i was just mowing down bots. also, it sux. altitude is kinda like a 2d version of it, but is SOOO much better. if eltitude is ever on sale again, get that instead.

I got Dogfighter on one of the cheapo deals and gave up almost immediately once I got into the actual game part because the view toggle was a one-way trip. If you switched from the follow view to whatever the alternate was, it couldn't cycle back. Ever. Imagine playing a racing game where pressing the lookback button meant never being able to look forward again and that's what Dogfighter was like. The disconnect between the vintage-looking (a la Crimson Skies) airplanes and the repetitive mook rawk music was awful, too.

I want so badly to be able to like Dogfighter, since I'd love a new multiplayer flight action game, but for some reason, the game literally makes me ill to play. Something about the way it moves makes me feel extremely motion sick, which very, very few games do.

[quote name='TheBomb69']The PC reviews of the Oddworld games are shockingly low. Pass.[/QUOTE]
That's because the initial releases, which those reviews will be based on, were shockingly broken, with terrible performance and nearly no configuration options. Since release, though, they've fixed most of the performance problems, and added a bunch of new options (widescreen, et cetera). They're very playable, now. The Abe games are awesome, and Stranger's Wrath is one of the most insanely creative games ever made.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That's because the initial releases, which those reviews will be based on, were shockingly broken, with terrible performance and nearly no configuration options. Since release, though, they've fixed most of the performance problems, and added a bunch of new options (widescreen, et cetera). They're very playable, now. The Abe games are awesome, and Stranger's Wrath is one of the most insanely creative games ever made.[/QUOTE]

Stranger's is probably in my top 20 best games of all time and I am stoked for an HD update though I may wait for the console version.

Weekend deal is up. Darksiders for $10. I already own it for 360, but am tempted to pick up a Steam copy since my computer is far more beastly than my 360.

I guess the big question is how people feel it compares (in terms of graphics, smoothness, etc) to the 360 version (assuming one has good PC Hardware). Is it going to be noticeably better, or would it have little difference to the 360 version I already own?

I do not know if it is true or not, but someone on the Steam forums said Darksiders was cheaper for people in the UK, £ 5.00 = $ 8.07

Dogfighter - mostly agree with others. I didn't think the controls were that bad with mouse and keyboard, but it was ultimately just not very satisfying. I gave it about 3 or 4 hours. (this was months ago, before recent updates)

Atom Zombie Smasher - Bought it on impulse. A very cool game with a surprising amount of strategy. I played the crap out of it for the last three days, but I probably already exhausted the playtime it'll give me. Worth $9 in my opinion, but might be better off waiting for a 50% off sale or something.

Well, now I'm torn. I was going to pick up the Oddbox, but now Darksiders is $10. I want both, but can only afford one. Decisions, decisions...

[quote name='utopianmachine']The indie game Winter Voices and all it's DLC are on sale 50% off. I've been wanting to try this, so I think I'll buy the first one.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/72900

Edit: It seems the game may be on sale to celebrate the release of the 3rd episode.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up Eps 2 & 3 (got the prologue during winter sale, it's pretty cool).

Also, Darksiders will probably go a little cheaper, but $10 is an amazing deal for one of my favorite games of last year.

Bought MNC, I have no idea if that's actually a good price or not but I want some more multiplayer shooters for my PC. If anyone is interested in playing together this weekend, feel free to add me. SteamID= MrBryson

i hope for your sake that you bought it from a divided up 4 pack to save a few bucks.
also in case anyone didnt already know, Revenge of the Titans has finally been added to our steam accounts (if you added the HiB steam code to steam)

[quote name='JakeNome']also in case anyone didnt already know, Revenge of the Titans has finally been added to our steam accounts (if you added the HiB steam code to steam)[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see that! Thanks for the head's up.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']http://store.steampowered.com/app/63200/?freeweekend

MNC 33% off and a free weekend.

To put it bluntly, BUY MNC. Wonderful game, wonderful developers who are giving it wonderful support. Easily worth the full price I payed.[/QUOTE]

I've read mixed reviews/impressions about the overall balance of the game so that -- combined with me truly being a cheap ass -- is prompting me to wait until a 50% or higher discount which I'm sure it'll eventually hit. Oh and I'm still playing through my dozen or so game back log.

Edit: Also in regards to 'Revenge of the Titans,' I asked the developers if they were putting any of their other games on Steam and one replied they tried in the past but Valve was uninterested although he noted they might change their minds depending on the success of 'Revenge.' He also added that it is their (the developer) policy to give Steam keys to customers who buy through their website directly so if you like the overall style you can check out Puppygames.net where they are selling their three previous games for $10 total.

Revenge of the Titans was my favorite title in the HB2. I hope the game is successful, but I have my doubts on how well it will sell since so many people jumped in on the humble bundle.

I'm trading my spare Steam key for Homefront for a copy of The Dreamcast Collection and Revenge of the Titans.

I have dark siders on PC- it plays really well. A great port and the graphics pop more than the 360 version I think. I played with a 360 controller (native support) so I don't know about keyboard and mouse.

I picked it up for $20 back in December- I'm really happy with it ;)

To all those asking about PC Darksiders:

Just picked it up myself last night, since I'm trying to eventually migrate my console gaming collection over to PC. It (expectedly) did look much better than the 360 version at least, although I have one complaint graphics wise.

There seems to be no way to completely get rid of screen tearing. I'm running what I'd consider a fairly beastly rig. (Phenom II X4, 8 GB of DDR3, and an HD 6950 for graphics.) Now, the game is running at a good solid 60 fps (or high enough for me to not know better) so I don't think it's hardware or driver setup by any means. It's just that no matter what I do, there is some amount of screen tearing on there. (This is with combinations of V-Sync enabled, auto v-sync enabled through Catalyst, and all combinations of the two) While I realize this isn't game breaking, it was my personal biggest beef. (I think one can take that as a good thing if that's my only real complaint with it, technologically. :p )

There's also some other glitches, but there seem to be fixes of em in the Steam Users Forum. The other big one for me is bugged Achievements. Apparently this game has horrid condition detection, because myself and plenty of other users on the Steam forums have reported this game being rather random when it decides to trigger an achievement unlock. I guess just a bit of shoddy coding on THQ's part there.

Now those complaints aside? Great game. I played through this one on the 360 and had a lot of fun with it. I can't vouch for keyboard + mouse controls, but my 360 controller handled. . . well, exactly as the aforementioned console. :p So I guess that's a good thing. Tis a good game though that really just got overshadowed by later releases. If you don't mind a bit of screen tearing (it's not horrendous by any means, I think i'm just picky on said subject) and bugged achievements, it's without a doubt worth the $10 in my mind.

Personally, I'm pretty psyched to be play through again with (for the most part) much better looking visuals.

(The talk earlier in the thread is true btw. The only graphics options you get are a resolution slider and a v-sync button. Don't work too hard there THQ, whatever you do. -.- )

[quote name='tokitoki50']Revenge of the Titans was my favorite title in the HB2. I hope the game is successful, but I have my doubts on how well it will sell since so many people jumped in on the humble bundle.[/QUOTE]

Also - $15? This feels like a high price for a game that was in HB2, and releases without a Demo. Whether it's worth premium indie pricing or not, they've chosen a price point for an indie game that is going to turn a lot of people off. $10 really seems like the sweet spot for getting people to buy casual indie games on release, then $5 in 3 months to get everyone else.

Hope they do well, though. It's a neat looking game. Me, I'm waiting for a demo, because I didn't like the last indie tower defense/action hybrid to come around - Sol Survivor.

[quote name='Clarke']I'm trading my spare Steam key for Homefront for a copy of The Dreamcast Collection and Revenge of the Titans.[/QUOTE]
pm me

Thanks for your input Daedalus. Though my graphics card isn't quite as good as yours I'm going to go for it anyways, hopefully the screen tearing won't be that bad. I'm not too worried about the achievements either. Been wanting to play this one, so why not.

hmm Strangers Wraith and Munch's Oddysee both require a icore 2 + minimum that sucks as they were both orginal Xbox games Lazy programming again I won't be buying as I have a 64 bit single core totally lame. And no I can't afford to upgrade my computer again right now.

try d3doverrider if you are having trouble with the screen tearing it fixed the problem for me with metro 2033 and crysis. its a program included with riva tuner just install riva tuner and remove the d3doverrider folder under tools in the main riva tuner install folder and create a desktop shortcut to the d3doverrider exe

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']There seems to be no way to completely get rid of screen tearing. I'm running what I'd consider a fairly beastly rig. (Phenom II X4, 8 GB of DDR3, and an HD 6950 for graphics.) Now, the game is running at a good solid 60 fps (or high enough for me to not know better) so I don't think it's hardware or driver setup by any means. It's just that no matter what I do, there is some amount of screen tearing on there. (This is with combinations of V-Sync enabled, auto v-sync enabled through Catalyst, and all combinations of the two) While I realize this isn't game breaking, it was my personal biggest beef. (I think one can take that as a good thing if that's my only real complaint with it, technologically. :p )[/QUOTE]

Vsync works fine for me though, maybe it's an ATI card bug? (I'm using nvidia GTS 250, Athlon II X4 640, 4GB RAM)

One thing to note is that for me, if I turn on vsync via in game options, the games seems to stutter, but if I force vsync through the nvidia control panel and turning vsync off in game, it removes the stutter.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']To all those asking about PC Darksiders:

Just picked it up myself last night, since I'm trying to eventually migrate my console gaming collection over to PC. It (expectedly) did look much better than the 360 version at least, although I have one complaint graphics wise.

There seems to be no way to completely get rid of screen tearing. I'm running what I'd consider a fairly beastly rig. (Phenom II X4, 8 GB of DDR3, and an HD 6950 for graphics.) [/QUOTE]

I suspect it's your video card. ATI drivers have always been a bit flakey with regard to vsync...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've always heard talk of "blah blah nvidia better drivers blah" and "blah ati drivers crap blah" but wasn't too worried about it. Also as stated, i've tried every combination of ATI v-sync and darksiders v-sync. (Off off, Off on, On off, On On) While some are better than others, nothing seems to completely clear it. *shrugs* (Also, Riva tuner? What is this? Never heard of it) I'll probably try letting ATI completely handle the v-sync again when i get home, see if that makes it not so bad.

Honestly as said it's not like it breaks the game by any means. Hell, the rest of the graphics are amazing. I'm just stupidly anal when it comes to v-sync. >.> I'd still wholeheartedly recommend this game for the $10 pricetag to anyone remotely interested. Fun game, fun storyline, fun art design, etc. An overall good or great product, despite my whining. ;D

Sorry for the late update. Thanks for keeping the thread alive, everybody.

I'm trying something new organizationally. When multiple games in a series go on sale, I'll group everything together in an unordered list (including DLC).

[youtube]Hu0RpY_nSW0[/youtube][youtube]jggbj3g4iOQ[/youtube]

Steam Games on Sale - Updated 3/18

[youtube]l542tam3R_Y[/youtube][youtube]iTZHURNdy3c[/youtube]

DLC on Sale - Updated 3/18

Anyone know how Darksiders is with keyboard/mouse? Both of my 360 controllers are wireless and buying a wired controller just to play this would defeat the purpose of it being on sale >

[quote name='fishphoenix']Anyone know how Darksiders is with keyboard/mouse? Both of my 360 controllers are wireless and buying a wired controller just to play this would defeat the purpose of it being on sale >

[quote name='TestType']If you play any third person games on PC at all, a controller for your PC would be a highly recommended investment.[/QUOTE]

I'd say this isn't necessarily wrong, but I played through Batman: AA and Ghostbusters on my keyboard and really had no difficulty. I think playing Darksiders with a KB/M would be alright - don't let that stop you from getting this kickass game :D

Can't speak for the PC version but Stranger's Wrath was a great game on the old xbox. Appears to have 360 controller support too.

Was going to pick up Stranger's Wrath when it went on the PSN but the Oddbox is really tempting.

Are they enhanced or just straight up ports?

[quote name='icedrake523']Was going to pick up Stranger's Wrath when it went on the PSN but the Oddbox is really tempting.

Are they enhanced or just straight up ports?[/QUOTE]

They're not really "enhanced" in their present state, but there are plans to back-port in the new graphics and sound from the upgraded PS3 version, after it's complete.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']They're not really "enhanced" in their present state, but there are plans to back-port in the new graphics and sound from the upgraded PS3 version, after it's complete.[/QUOTE]

i appreciate when stuff like that is done.

[quote name='shrike4242']Which people need to use for requests and not clutter up this thread with them.[/QUOTE]

My bad, wasn't aware we had a thread for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back