Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Khamous']can you get the GOTY pack gifted if you already own the vanilla version? (GOTY is cheaper than the whole dlc in the 4pack, so yeah, lol)[/QUOTE]

The promotion doesn't mention anything about making an exception and allowing the extra copy to be gifted. Gifting extra copies is something that's rarely available.

[quote name='keroppilee']which dlc for borderlands are good? Riot dome looks stupid but if i buy 3/4 i might as well buy the whole set for 7.50 instead of just 3 x 2.50 = 7.50[/QUOTE]

Most people seem to say that Mad Moxxi was the worst DLC but like you said if you don't have any of them you might as well get the GOTY edition.

[quote name='Khamous']can you get the GOTY pack gifted if you already own the vanilla version? (GOTY is cheaper than the whole dlc in the 4pack, so yeah, lol)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='The Smilkman']The promotion doesn't mention anything about making an exception and allowing the extra copy to be gifted. Gifting extra copies is something that's rarely available.[/QUOTE]

i believe hes asking if someone who already owns the vanilla game could have the goty gifted to them as its cheaper than buying the dlc.

i own vanilla and all the dlc. it says i already own goty on the store page but will allow me to buy it for myself, whereas it wont allow me to buy the vanilla for myself.

hope that helps a little.

[quote name='Xealot42']Most people seem to say that Mad Moxxi was the worst DLC...[/QUOTE]

Holy flying monkey crap, ain't that the truth. Bad enough that the expansion is absolutely nothing more wave after wave of enemies, but after you finish the first main quest (5 battles of 5 waves each in 3 different arenas) they let you have more fun doing the same thing but for 20 stupid battles of 5 waves each...with absolutely no reward for wasting hours of your life that you'll never get back. Mad Moxxi would be crappy deal even if they paid me to play it.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Honestly, I really liked Mad Moxxi. I had a lot of fun playing it on local co-op on PS3, anyways.[/QUOTE]

LOL...and for every opinion, there will be someone that thinks the exact opposite ;-)

[quote name='LazyTriangle']Borderlands GOTY is also available in a 4-Pack for $22.49 which is $5.63 each, that is the best deal your ever gonna get on this game[/QUOTE]

that is IMO one of the best deals in gaming youre going to see.

Pity that I still can't get Borderlands. I want it complete, but I still refuse to deal with SecuROM on the DLC. How insanely stupid.

[quote name='Slappybob']Did Bioshock 2 go back up to regular price?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Pity that I still can't get Borderlands. I want it complete, but I still refuse to deal with SecuROM on the DLC. How insanely stupid.
[/QUOTE]

It's the reason I avoided Moxxi and Dr. Ned DLC. Not that I think I'm missing much. I got Knoxx for $3 a while back and didn't finish it so even at $2.50 I'm still on the fence over Clap Trap Revolution. Doesn't help when I see mainstream review sites opine that it is 'short' - to me that translates into about an hour or two.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Pity that I still can't get Borderlands. I want it complete, but I still refuse to deal with SecuROM on the DLC. How insanely stupid.[/QUOTE]

You can get it, you are choosing not to. You could always get the goty and choose not to deal with the securom dlc and maybe they get patched out or play the original.

Though id guess you dont care enough to play it if 2 of the dlc using securom is enough to keep you from buying any part of the game.

I don't have a single game (much less a piece of DLC) anywhere on my Steam account that uses limited-activation SecuROM (or any other limited-activation DRM), and I intend to keep it that way. Call me obsessive or idealistic or whatever, but that's my stance and I'm sticking to it.

Though id guess you dont care enough to play it if 2 of the dlc using securom is enough to keep you from buying any part of the game.

Gee, ya don't say? Why do you rephrase the exact same things I say, and repeat them back to me as if you're telling me something new that I hadn't realized before, like you've got me figured out or something? You say "you can get it, you are choosing not to" as if it's insightful or clever or something. No shit I'm choosing not to, because I'm not going to pollute my Steam account with that garbage.

I saw another post on the steam forums though that stated that the 2 pieces of DLC in the GOTY edition DID still have the extra DRM. Steam is enough DRM IMO. If it doesn't have secure rom anymore I'd snatch it up even though I have the 360 version and all the DLC. Its just that great of a game.

[quote name='Terlan']I Heard the Game of the year version doesn't have any securom in it on the steam forums. Don't know if thats true or not.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='powersurge']I saw another post on the steam forums though that stated that the 2 pieces of DLC in the GOTY edition DID still have the extra DRM. Steam is enough DRM IMO. If it doesn't have secure rom anymore I'd snatch it up even though I have the 360 version and all the DLC. Its just that great of a game.[/QUOTE]

This. As far as i'm aware, the first two DLC packs still have limited installs. The game itself though and the later two DLC packs should be completely clean of it. (Though i would love to simply be mistaken, and for all DLC to be removed from the GOTY version)

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Gee, ya don't say? Why do you rephrase the exact same things I say, and repeat them back to me as if you're telling me something new that I hadn't realized before, like you've got me figured out or something? You say "you can get it, you are choosing not to" as if it's insightful or clever or something. No shit I'm choosing not to, because I'm not going to pollute my Steam account with that garbage.[/QUOTE]

lol what a tool.

I bought borderlands on 360 on release day and played all the DLC except Claptrap.

Dr. Ned was fun but it had its problems. My biggest gripe is not getting the brain quest at the beginning of the mission and not having the brains I collected be retroactive. This is a fairly contained area and didn't add to the level cap so it felt a bit tacked on. However it came early enough in Borderlands release that it felt much more fun to get to LVL 50 playing new content than replaying the main game.

Mad Moxxi was the worst of the batch. It didn't give you much for loot, and doesn't give you XP. It was boring and I had a hard time getting through it even with friends.

Knoxx raised the level cap and seemed the largest of the first three but it has no fast travel and isn't very friendly to playing in short bursts like my friends and I would do as working adults. It would take us 30 minutes just to gather and get to a destination before even doing the quest item.

By the time claptrap came out I was burned out on Borderlands because of the other three and never played it. It may have fixed the issues above but not sure. With all that said the game was great and worth every penny. I would have passed on Mad Moxxi though. At this price you can't go wrong. Do yourself a favor though and grab a buddy to play it with.

Damnit! I've been so good about not adding to my backlog but in the past 24 hours I've bought the Humble Indie Pack, Bioshock 2, and now Borderlands GOTY. I'm such a sucker for sales...

[quote name='pROvIs'] I would have passed on Mad Moxxi though. At this price you can't go wrong. Do yourself a favor though and grab a buddy to play it with.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, my experience with Mad Moxxi wasn't typical. I hosted the game and played with a friend that was Lvl 60+ while I was only about Lvl 20, so I was in a bit over my head while he was able to run around and kick everyone's ass w/o struggling too much. We got through everything pretty quickly, but even still I was thinking "Is this supposed to be fun?"

Challenging yes, but fun? Not so much. But the 3 areas with 5 battles of 5 waves each, it gold old real quick. And really, that's all there was too it. While you unlocked the "20 battle" challenges, you don't get anything out of doing these, so unless you really enjoy doing the same fights over and over, there's really no point.

That said, it wasn't that much different than playing something like Killing Floor, but at least with KF there's more variety and you can mix things up better to keep it interesting.

The biggest problem with Moxxi is the length of time you have to commit to make it through. It's inexcusable. However, I enjoyed all of the arena battles throughout all of Borderlands so I did get some enjoyment out of Moxxi in the end, though not as much as I could have hadn't the developers been sadists.

General Knoxx is by far the best in terms of content. It's funny, it's fairly long, and the loot is far and away the best you'll find in Borderlands. As a bonus you can always glitch the armory and there's an infinitely respawning super-boss that allows for great co-op loot sessions.

Dr. Ned is pretty funny and it's different from the rest. It's worth a play for sure. Plus there are zombies and zombies are good.

Claptrap closes the storyline very neatly, so it's worth a play if you enjoyed the rest of the game. It's not spectacular, but there are good moments.

I am mixed about the DLC. I guess it depends it has good replayability or not.

Question: When does Steam change the price of Bioshock 2 to $5? It is still $20 right now as of 5:25pm EST (2:25pm PST).

[quote name='aosora13']I am mixed about the DLC. I guess it depends it has good replayability or not.

Question: When does Steam change the price of Bioshock 2 to $5? It is still $20 right now as of 5:25pm EST (2:25pm PST).[/QUOTE]

it was 5 yesterday, op hasn't updated thread.

[quote name='aosora13']
Question: When does Steam change the price of Bioshock 2 to $5? It is still $20 right now as of 5:25pm EST (2:25pm PST).[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you missed it. It was the 1-day 2Kgames sale yesterday (Tuesday), from 10AM Pacific until 10AM Pacific today.

However, you're in luck. Bioshock 2 will be the deal of the day tomorrow (Thursday) at Direct2Drive.com, starting at 9:00AM Pacific. It will be $5, and less if their 20% off coupon code "showers" is still working.

So...even the $7.50 GotY single pack is a ridiculous price for the game. If you enjoy shooting things and collecting guns (...first person Diablo II, without nearly as many skills) and buying rocket launchers out of vending machines - or think you will - buy this. Now.

Also,

[quote name='Decker']I've heard some really mixed things about Magicka. Do people here enjoy it?[/QUOTE]
I picked it up last night and played some coop with a friend. (Hint: use Steam's join friend's game feature, save yourself a headache.) It seems pretty fun in the two hours or so we played, but things feel a bit slow at times (movement, text/talking, cutscenes); I understand that you're not supposed to be Ryu Hayubasa or anything, but I still wish it were more...reactive.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']I hope Amazon price matches GotY![/QUOTE]

I just noticed Amazon IS price matching it now. Oh well, I have Amazon credit, I'll give their system a whirl with this one.

EDIT - Correction! Even though its not listed on Steam's retail CD-Key list, you CAN in fact active this with Steam using Amazon's CD-Key

http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-G...5G/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1302733703&sr=8-10

[quote name='Angelhood']I just noticed Amazon IS price matching it now. Oh well, I have Amazon credit, I'll give their system a whirl with this one.

EDIT - Correction! Even though its not listed on Steam's retail CD-Key list, you CAN in fact active this with Steam using Amazon's CD-Key

http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-G...5G/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1302733703&sr=8-10[/QUOTE]

Does this Amazon.com download version REQUIRE Steam?
Or is Steam an OPTION here?

If Steam is an OPTION, that's the better deal. :)

Grabbed Robot Revolution dlc for $2.49, it was the only dlc I didn't have for pc.

Got Magicka complete pack for $7.99. I hesitated at first since the demo would crash about a second after launch on my MacBook Pro running bootcamp Win 7, but the full version runs perfectly. They should keep the demo updated, I almost didn't buy it.

Seriously, if you don't have Borderlands, grab the GotY edition. If you don't mind the SecuRom on the first two DLCs, it's a fantastic deal on a great game and you'll get at least 30-50 hours out of it.

I think the only reason to get the Mad Moxxi DLC is for the loot bank they give you.

I think I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Claptrap DLC. It was definitely NOT 1-2 hours long, but more like 5-6 for me. But I did every quest.

[quote name='Angelhood']I just noticed Amazon IS price matching it now. Oh well, I have Amazon credit, I'll give their system a whirl with this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-G...5G/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1302733703&sr=8-10[/QUOTE]

Really?
Geez, I wonder if my old BL Retail DVD Keys will work and activate on Steam...

EDIT:
Oh, Original BL doesn't have a DVD Key.
DLC Double Pack Retail does.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't have a single game (much less a piece of DLC) anywhere on my Steam account that uses limited-activation SecuROM (or any other limited-activation DRM), and I intend to keep it that way. Call me obsessive or idealistic or whatever, but that's my stance and I'm sticking to it.

Gee, ya don't say? Why do you rephrase the exact same things I say, and repeat them back to me as if you're telling me something new that I hadn't realized before, like you've got me figured out or something? You say "you can get it, you are choosing not to" as if it's insightful or clever or something. No shit I'm choosing not to, because I'm not going to pollute my Steam account with that garbage.[/QUOTE]

Why are you telling the world your personal proclivities then complaining when somebody comments ? Is this your blog, or a game deals forum ?

[quote name='semifast']Why are you telling the world your personal proclivities then complaining when somebody comments ? Is this your blog, or a game deals forum ?[/QUOTE]

Hi, welcome to the internet. There are many different places on the internet. We call these "websites." You are currently on a particular kind of website called a "forum." On such "forums," people can say things, and sometimes other people will say something in response to to something specific someone else has said, and occasionally, the first person will reply back the the second one, and so on and so forth. This can go on for quite some time. This is what we refer to as a "discussion," in internet parlance. This is somewhat similar to the real-world practice known as "discussion" or "conversation."

Now that you have a basic understanding of the internet, I hope you enjoy your trip down the information superhighway. Have fun surfing the net! :D

title needs changed, but I did my good deed for the day this morning, an australian wanted the $5 deal of Bioshock 2 so I gifted it to him. Good price on Borderlands, if I was going to be honest with myself I wouldn't be able to play/complete this, esp with Portal 2 coming up and I have Crysis 2 to play. So yeah I won't bother.

[quote name='Angelhood']Yup, works fine.[/QUOTE]

Does the Amazon download version require Steam straight-up?

Or is Steam registration for that Amazon download version optional?

Bought the Magicka pacakge for $7.99, I remember playing the demo, game is pretty fun, and I'm glad I got the DLC with it too.

I watched TB + Yogscast play through both versions, seems like good fun.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Hi, welcome to the internet. There are many different places on the internet. We call these "websites." You are currently on a particular kind of website called a "forum." On such "forums," people can say things, and sometimes other people will say something in response to to something specific someone else has said, and occasionally, the first person will reply back the the second one, and so on and so forth. This can go on for quite some time. This is what we refer to as a "discussion," in internet parlance. This is somewhat similar to the real-world practice known as "discussion" or "conversation."

Now that you have a basic understanding of the internet, I hope you enjoy your trip down the information superhighway. Have fun surfing the net! :D[/QUOTE]

in addition it is also a place where all-knowing individuals preach down to those below them instead of partake in the above described discussions.

thanks for the heads up had credit and key registered just fine on steam :D

[quote name='paz9x']in addition it is also a place where all-knowing individuals preach down to those below them instead of partake in the above described discussions.[/QUOTE]

It's also a place where people without anything to say repeat things other people have said right back at them in a way meant to be argumentative and contrary and make the person's comments seem irrational or silly, even though they haven't done anything other than repeat what the person said in the first place, and then when the person calls them out on it, they get all freaked out and, lacking a good response or actual reply or any ability to actually hold their own in a conversation, say something stupid like "lol what a tool." That's just an example though, totally hypothetical.

Seriously, I still don't get the point you were trying to make with that first post. You replied to me saying that I choose not to buy the game (because I'd only want it with all the DLC, but the DRM in the DLC prevents me from getting it; yes, I could avoid the DLC with DRM, but like I said, I'd only want the complete game, without DRM, which is impossible in this situation), by literally saying "but you're CHOOSING not to buy the game," and nothing else of substance, as though you'd made some new counter-point that should either get me to reconsider, or make me look silly. All you did was reiterate exactly what I said. I ask again: what the hell was your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back