Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='testisbest']Anyone know if Mass Effect comes with the two DLC packs? Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station?[/QUOTE]
Bring Down the Sky is free on the PC if you register your game on Bioware's site. I believe Pinnacle Station is still $5

[quote name='Pasty']I'm thinking about buying the original Mass Effect but I'm not sure if it will run on my computer. I have little knowledge when it comes to computer specs, so I could use some help. I have a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz with 2.5 GB of RAM and a GeForce 8400 GS graphics card. I looked on the Can you run it? website and it said I could, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Koat']You should have no problem running the ME1 or 2 maybe not on high settings, but you can run it at medium for sure.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but no, you're not. Minimum specs (GPU) calls for a "6800 GT or better". An 8400 GS is significantly worse than a 6800 GT.

Remember, "8" is the generation of the card. "400" is the line within that generation, where 200-400 is entry-level graphics, 500-750 is mid-range, and 800-990 is enthusiast (high-end). An nVidia 8400 card is budget graphics of the 8000 series, which will perform waaay below the enthusiast level of the 6000 series.

I leave it to you confirm with the benchmarks of your choice, but with Passmark, the 8400 GS scores 139, while the 6800 GT scores 407. Not even close. For comparison, something sort of last-gen modern (not bleeding edge) like a GTX 450 scores 1438. Here.

I had one of those nVidia 8400 cards in a laptop at work once, with a modern dual core, and just for kicks, I put L4D2 on it to see how it would perform. With everything turned down to minimum quality, I got about 12 fps standing still at 640x480 resolution. When the screen got busy with a horde attacking, it would go down to about 4-6 fps. And this is on an engine (Source) that is acclaimed for it's ability to scale to your machine. It's simply not enough GPU. Granted, Mass Effect isn't as busy as L4D, but you catch my drift.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :( You might, however, wish to buy at this good price, in anticipation of your next computer.

[quote name='Ethereality']Bring Down the Sky is free on the PC if you register your game on Bioware's site. I believe Pinnacle Station is still $5[/QUOTE]

I believe that this is no longer an option. I tried this in April, and the links to the site to register the game to get Bring Down the Sky are broken.

If you figure out where to go to get BDtS, let me know! I think this is just my punishment for waiting too long to play this game. :(

[quote name='gcorlett']I believe that this is no longer an option. I tried this in April, and the links to the site to register the game to get Bring Down the Sky are broken.

If you figure out where to go to get BDtS, let me know! I think this is just my punishment for waiting too long to play this game. :([/QUOTE]

It worked for me at least. I just registered mass effect on the EA website and got my bring down the sky key and downloaded it.

[quote name='gcorlett']I'm sorry, but no, you're not. Minimum specs (GPU) calls for a "6800 GT or better". An 8400 GS is significantly worse than a 6800 GT.

Remember, "8" is the generation of the card. "400" is the line within that generation, where 200-400 is entry-level graphics, 500-750 is mid-range, and 800-990 is enthusiast (high-end). An nVidia 8400 card is budget graphics of the 8000 series, which will perform waaay below the enthusiast level of the 6000 series.

I leave it to you confirm with the benchmarks of your choice, but with Passmark, the 8400 GS scores 139, while the 6800 GT scores 407. Not even close. For comparison, something sort of last-gen modern (not bleeding edge) like a GTX 450 scores 1438. Here.

I had one of those nVidia 8400 cards in a laptop at work once, with a modern dual core, and just for kicks, I put L4D2 on it to see how it would perform. With everything turned down to minimum quality, I got about 12 fps standing still at 640x480 resolution. When the screen got busy with a horde attacking, it would go down to about 4-6 fps. And this is on an engine (Source) that is acclaimed for it's ability to scale to your machine. It's simply not enough GPU. Granted, Mass Effect isn't as busy as L4D, but you catch my drift.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :( You might, however, wish to buy at this good price, in anticipation of your next computer.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help. I was just about ready to buy this, but I think I will wait.

[quote name='Heavenlywind']It worked for me at least. I just registered mass effect on the EA website and got my bring down the sky key and downloaded it.[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. I went to my EA account and added the game but it never asked me for the serial and never game me an option for the extra content. :cry:

edit: Heads up CAG dogs, Amazon has ME2 for $7.99. I know most of us would rather have it on Steam. Just giving people options. Amazon Digital Download $7.99

[quote name='Pasty']Thanks for the help. I was just about ready to buy this, but I think I will wait.[/QUOTE]

I see you already got some good advice, but I'll concur that what gcorlett said is basically correct. It can be confusing, but if you have a 4 digit Nvidia card, those last 3 digits are more important for gaming (generally!). And now that they've switched to 3 digits it can be trickier still. ;) But generally the 3 digit cards pick up where the highest 4 digit cards left off and climb from there.

I'm jazzed to pick up ME1 for $5. I have an old disc-based copy that I bought ages ago and haven't played. Plus I got ME2 for dirt cheap during a prior Steam sale. But it's my understanding that the two aren't compatible, so choices wouldn't carry over. That sound correct? But with two Steam versions it should be easy-breezy.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I don't get it. I went to my EA account and added the game but it never asked me for the serial and never game me an option for the extra content. :cry:

edit: Heads up CAG dogs, Amazon has ME2 for $7.99. I know most of us would rather have it on Steam. Just giving people options. Amazon Digital Download $7.99[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure, I went to the accounts.bioware.com/my_account/edit.html
and on the right side added my mass effect key. Than it added bring down the skys key. There is a link at the bottom of the bring down the skys cd key and I clicked on it and it brought me to the download.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I don't get it. I went to my EA account and added the game but it never asked me for the serial and never game me an option for the extra content. :cry:

edit: Heads up CAG dogs, Amazon has ME2 for $7.99. I know most of us would rather have it on Steam. Just giving people options. Amazon Digital Download $7.99[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Should I pay the extra 2 dollars to get it on Steam???

ME1 on PC is awesome. Alot better than the 360 cause of the AI controlling. Its like the controlling of ME2 but in ME1.

Also, has Steam always accepted Paypal? I could have swore I tried to buy something a month or two back but thought they didnt accept Paypal.

[quote name='robpe36']in for ME1 and 2. Here's hoping for Crysis day, Dead Space day, and Battlefield day.[/QUOTE]

I'll second this (for Battlefield)!

[quote name='Zippon'] But it's my understanding that the two aren't compatible, so choices wouldn't carry over. That sound correct? But with two Steam versions it should be easy-breezy.[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if anyone else has any info on this?

Do games usually go on sale again? I want to get Mass effect but judging from my results on systemrequirementslab.com I will not be able to run it but I would love to play this game when I get a new computer sometime in the future. Should I just buy it now or wait until I get a new computer (which could be half a year away) and then wait for another sale?

[quote name='Abeja']Thanks for that. Should I pay the extra 2 dollars to get it on Steam???[/QUOTE]

As much as I like saving a buck, I'd say it's worth the extra $2 to get it on Steam, especially if you also have ME1 on Steam.

Hell, if you're at all like me (jumping on a good deal when you see one), it might even save you money in the long run because I've tried to buy games on Steam only to find I had previously bought them and just never got around to playing them yet. If I hadn't been using Steam, I would have had 2 copies of the same game from two different digital stores.

FYI, $5 is as low as I've seen ME1 ever on Steam.

That's what I paid for it several christmas sales ago. (and still haven't played it incidentally, but I'll get to it eventually :p )

There's a big summer sale coming up in about two months where I'm sure it'll be on sale again. That said I doubt you will see ME dip below $5 anytime in the next year or so -- in fact it might only go to $10 in it's next sale (it was only 50% at the Holiday Sale). If you have the cash, I'd just get it now.

[quote name='testisbest']
But it's my understanding that the two aren't compatible, so choices wouldn't carry over. That sound correct? But with two Steam versions it should be easy-breezy.
I'm wondering if anyone else has any info on this?[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that PC Mass Effects could see each other, regardless of being disc based, amazon, or Steam. The only thing changing between different distributors is where your game is stored (if that). If ME2 always points to the same location for saves, then no reason they'd be incompatible. (And even if they do point to different locations for some -very- strange reason, you can always just copy and paste your save files from the ME1 folder to the ME2 import folder)

Point being, I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if ME1 and ME2 were incompatible when differing versions for PC.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Tempted to pick up ME1 on Steam. Did they remove the SecuROM from the Steam version? I have ME1 on 360, but never got around to playing it.[/QUOTE]

I always consult this site when checking on DRM. http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/

Ok I got ME registered on Bioware site and downloaded Bring down the sky but when I try to install BDTS it says "ME not found. Please reistall from original source". Can I not use the BDTS content with ME bought through Steam?

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']I was under the impression that PC Mass Effects could see each other, regardless of being disc based, amazon, or Steam. The only thing changing between different distributors is where your game is stored (if that). If ME2 always points to the same location for saves, then no reason they'd be incompatible. (And even if they do point to different locations for some -very- strange reason, you can always just copy and paste your save files from the ME1 folder to the ME2 import folder)

Point being, I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if ME1 and ME2 were incompatible when differing versions for PC.

I always consult this site when checking on DRM. http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/[/QUOTE]

My ME1 save from the Steam version seemed to work fine with my ME2 Collector's Edition on disc.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Ok I got ME registered on Bioware site and downloaded Bring down the sky but when I try to install BDTS it says "ME not found. Please reistall from original source". Can I not use the BDTS content with ME bought through Steam?[/QUOTE]

The BDTS installer was patched so that it should recognize that you have ME installed to your steam directory. You might find some answers in this thread but I don't remember having any issues getting it to work.

Edit - ninja'd

Hi guys! I've been following this thread since the winter super sales last year around christmas time (iirc). I've decided, since this game keeps on going about new sales, to register and mingle in. Hope you don't mind :p

Christmas sales have been crazy for me. I've bought a shitload of games then. A few of them are Amnesia, DA Ultimate, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, Red Alert 3 and The Witcher. I think we can all agree that Steam = bad for your wallet :p

This sale I bought Sim City 4. I haven't played Sim City since the first one on the SNES but I really liked that so I wonder what this fourth edition will be like :p

Also just bought ME1 for 3,75 euro's! Already played 1 and 2 on :360: but I've always wanted to replay 1 again and I keep on hearing that the PC verion is alot more polished than the console version. So I thought meh for that price I don't mind a double copy ;)

Nice to meet you all btw.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']As much as I like saving a buck, I'd say it's worth the extra $2 to get it on Steam, especially if you also have ME1 on Steam.

Hell, if you're at all like me (jumping on a good deal when you see one), it might even save you money in the long run because I've tried to buy games on Steam only to find I had previously bought them and just never got around to playing them yet. If I hadn't been using Steam, I would have had 2 copies of the same game from two different digital stores.[/QUOTE]

I have ME2 on 360, but might trade it in towards the trade 3 get 10 at Gamestop. IDK. I think Im definitely grabbing ME1 on Steam cause I have money in a paypal account. I might hold off on ME2 and see if it pops up during the Summer sale.

If I do end up getting ME2, Ill do it through Steam.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Tempted to pick up ME1 on Steam. Did they remove the SecuROM from the Steam version? I have ME1 on 360, but never got around to playing it.[/QUOTE]

I feel like everytime I see talk about ME1, I have to give praise for the PC version. Get it on PC.

[quote name='ShadowJT']I wonder there ever be Mass Effect 2 Ultimate edition with all dlc's like DA2 UE?[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine there won't be if it's taken this long.

Even still, the story related DLC is $37 from Bioware, so you might as well just get it on Steam for $10 now.

[quote name='ShadowJT']I wonder there ever be Mass Effect 2 Ultimate edition with all dlc's like DA2 UE?[/QUOTE]
Probably not. The closest version is called the "PS3 version" although it is missing the recent Arrival DLC that came out after launch and all optional gear DLC.

[quote name='Xealot42']My ME1 save from the Steam version seemed to work fine with my ME2 Collector's Edition on disc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that! Even though I have the reverse (disc ME1 and Steam ME2) it should work for me, too. I did find one thread on the Steam forum where one user also says it will work. Since choices carrying over is a huge feature in these games, you'd think they'd mention it in a FAQ or something.

Still may bite for a measly $5. :D

[quote name='Number 905']I'd imagine there won't be if it's taken this long.

Even still, the story related DLC is $37 from Bioware, so you might as well just get it on Steam for $10 now.[/QUOTE]
Don't be too quick to judge. The problem here is that BW is still releasing DLC for ME2. IMO it'd be a waste of an UE if it doesnt truly have *every* DLC.

If all else fails with your guys Mass Effect saves there's that great site that has basically every combination of save states for both games now, since your save really just boils down to these same choices there is really no difference between one of these saves and your own genuine one assuming you grab one with the same choices you picked. It's cool and nice to be able to change your gender or choices up and still get the benefit of a save from the first game, rather than having to replay the games again and again.

That said, I've done at least 5 full playthrough of Mass Effect 2 and I know I'll finish up another one before ME3 definitely, and I think I've played ME1 a few times through also, at least 2-3 times for sure. Why is this series so good?

I know absolutely nothing about computers.

I have this laptop.

Asus Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive

Will most steam games work on this?

OMG this thread 404'd

1247474073211.jpg

[quote name='schuerm26']I know absolutely nothing about computers.

I have this laptop.

Asus Laptop / Intel® Core™ i3 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive

Will most steam games work on this?[/QUOTE]

We also need your video card specs.

[quote name='schuerm26']Onlive works.
[/QUOTE]

Then it's best to stick with that. Onlive doesn't tax your video card like a game that actually runs off of your machine. Your laptop just won't cut it, unfortunately.

[quote name='Khamous']Don't be too quick to judge. The problem here is that BW is still releasing DLC for ME2. IMO it'd be a waste of an UE if it doesnt truly have *every* DLC.[/QUOTE]
Actually they said that Arrival was their last DLC. I can see a GOTY pack for X-Mas at like $50 or $60 to generate hype for ME3.

[quote name='CreepinDeth']Then it's best to stick with that. Onlive doesn't tax your video card like a game that actually runs off of your machine. Your laptop just won't cut it, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I didn't buy it for gaming was just going to have that as a luxury if possible.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Actually they said that Arrival was their last DLC. I can see a GOTY pack for X-Mas at like $50 or $60 to generate hype for ME3.[/QUOTE]

I havent played all the dlc, but theres no way the dlc is worth 5-6 times the base game.

Not only do I have both ME1 and ME2 on Xbox 360, but I've also bought most of the DLC for ME2 from Xbox Live Marketplace without having finished ME1 yet. And still I buy the Steam versions of both games. This is a sickness.

I'm going to pass, this was the same deal from the Christmas sale. Throw me a bone Steam, Shoulda been 7.50 and 15 for ME2 and ME2 Deluxe respectively. I still have enough achievements I haven't gotten on the 360 version to avoid buying this on PC still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back