Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep me 2, bit on ME1. IDK about 2. Might wait. Told myself I wasnt gonna spend any money with Brink coming out, but 5 dollars is too good for that game. Maybe the Summer sale will have it cheaper than 10? IDK, I might bite on the second.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Ok I got ME registered on Bioware site and downloaded Bring down the sky but when I try to install BDTS it says "ME not found. Please reistall from original source". Can I not use the BDTS content with ME bought through Steam?[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem, even though I followed the link someone provided to answer this and instructions on Bioware's site that the link took me too!

Anyone else have this problem and learn how to fix it?

EDIT: OK, nvm. game had to be run once before it would find the directory, but now it says the code has already been redeemed and is valid on only one computer...anyone know how to get around this?

EDIT 2: Hahahaha had to run as admin. Hopefully helps other people in the same situation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought Mass Effect for $5. Been waiting since the last $5 sale when I missed it. Now I can actually play the entire series straight through with all my decisions mattering and carrying over!

(also, finally something to do while PSN is down)

[quote name='Therapy']
Nice to meet you all btw.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the site! Now go find sales and post them here, and remember to use the "Windows" icon when you start a thread because us PC gamers have to stick together in this new age of consoles. \\:D/

[quote name='schuerm26']Thanks for the info. I didn't buy it for gaming was just going to have that as a luxury if possible.[/QUOTE]

While the majority of games on steam will require a more robust graphics card, you would be OK with some of the casual games they offer.

I would recommend Plants vs Zombies Game of the Year (GOTY) edition, which just came off a sale; it was less than $4 this week, but back up to $10 now. Either way, it's a FANTASTIC game that would play fine on your laptop.

You'd also have no problems with World of Goo, another very popular casual title.

For something meatier, you might try Beyond Good & Evil, which is a more sophisticated, full-scale game. It's older (2003), but it is a very good game and because of its age, it would play well on your computer too.

When in doubt, look for games that offer Free Demos. The first two games I mentioned both have demos, so you can see how well they run before buying.

Finally, check out Good Old Games at GOG.com. It's a digital retail site that specializes in the best games from an earlier era. All games are $6 or $10, and they have regular sales, too. It's a good place to find older games that you may have missed, or something to put on your work laptop when you have to travel. Best of all - no DRM on games purchased at GOG.com.

Good luck!

[quote name='Heavenlywind']I'm not really sure, I went to the accounts.bioware.com/my_account/edit.html
and on the right side added my mass effect key. Than it added bring down the skys key. There is a link at the bottom of the bring down the skys cd key and I clicked on it and it brought me to the download.[/QUOTE]

YOU ARE MY HERO. Thanks for helping me with this.

D2D sent me to a different page to register. It looks similar but there was no function for putting in my ME1 key.

I did it tonight and I've downloaded BDtS! Thanks again!

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I still can't get BDTS to work with my Steam ME. :([/QUOTE]

Open Steam click ME then look to the right of the page where it says cdkey click that and copy to clipboard. Now go to this site and register your account(If you hadn't already) http://accounts.bioware.com/my_account/mepc_cdkey.html . After you register hit edit details look on the right side of the page for "PC Bring Down The Sky CD Key" click on it to register your ME cdkey and it will give you a BDTS cdkey and a download for the DLC. During the DLC setup it will ask for your BDTS cdkey and after the instillation is complete you're done.

[quote name='Koat']Open Steam click ME then look to the right of the page where it says cdkey click that and copy to clipboard. Now go to this site and register your account(If you hadn't already) http://accounts.bioware.com/my_account/mepc_cdkey.html . After you register hit edit details look on the right side of the page for "PC Bring Down The Sky CD Key" click on it to register your ME cdkey and it will give you a BDTS cdkey and a download for the DLC. During the DLC setup it will ask for your BDTS cdkey and after the instillation is complete you're done.[/QUOTE]

I followed these directions exactly and all I get when I enter my CD Key at the first site is this error:

Error Code 102: Unable to verify CD Key as entered, please check key and try again.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']I followed these directions exactly and all I get when I enter my CD Key at the first site is this error:

Error Code 102: Unable to verify CD Key as entered, please check key and try again.[/QUOTE]

Worked fine for me....try just registering Mass Effect first maybe.

[quote name='Koat']Worked fine for me....try just registering Mass Effect first maybe.[/QUOTE]

That is what I am trying to do, but this error loves me :(

[quote name='xxjonoxx']That is what I am trying to do, but this error loves me :([/QUOTE]

Wish I could be more help but I don't know what else to try.:cry:

A question sprung up when I checked out the deluxe edition contents of ME2 more closely:

Digital Deluxe Edition

• Collector Armor and Assault Rifle - Two bonus in-game items: advanced regeneration armor and a powerful enemy-shredding assault rifle.
  • Incisor Rifle - Bonus in-game weapon. Firing three shots with each pull of the trigger, the Incisor Rifle is designed to decimate shields.
  • Original Soundtrack - The Mass Effect 2 original soundtrack features 12 pieces spanning the entire Mass Effect 2 experience.
  • Digital Art Book* - The art book contains 48 pages of stunning full color artwork including captions from the Mass Effect 2 team.
  • Digital Mass Effect Redemption #1 comic* - Redemption follows Liara T’Soni’s dangerous mission to find Commander Shepard.
  • Documentary Video* - Featuring behind-the-scenes and making-of videos, the Mass Effect 2 documentary takes a look at how the game was made.
* These items are only available in English

I wonder... the soundtracks, art book and comic... will you get them in a file or something? Doesn't seem as nice as a physical CD and book/strip to me.

^ You will get digital versions of that stuff when the game installs.

The Digital Art Book, Comic, Documentary Video and Original Soundtrack will be located in your Steam folder for this game after completing installation (default location: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect 2\Bonus\).

I'd get ME2 but I'm probably better off waiting for a goty edition or something since I have it on 360 with the DLC and don't feel like buying it separately again. I wonder if we'll get a ME2 complete sale during the next Steam event?

[quote name='The Nephilim']I'd get ME2 but I'm probably better off waiting for a goty edition or something since I have it on 360 with the DLC and don't feel like buying it separately again. I wonder if we'll get a ME2 complete sale during the next Steam event?[/QUOTE]

That could only happen if Bioware made a complete edition of ME2. The dlc is only available through them.

Do Steam usually put the DLC on sale during their big sales? And are we due for a sale anytime soon?
$10/7$ each for the major DLCs is pretty steep. I got the 360 ones on sale awhile back from MS.

[quote name='Xealot42']^ You will get digital versions of that stuff when the game installs.[/QUOTE]

Ah... need to read more carefully next time. Thanks :)

[quote name='The Nephilim']Do Steam usually put the DLC on sale during their big sales? And are we due for a sale anytime soon?
$10/7$ each for the major DLCs is pretty steep. I got the 360 ones on sale awhile back from MS.[/QUOTE]

No. You can't get these through Steam directly. You download the DLC packs through Bioware's website using your Bioware account and Bioware points. This is different from the way they are distributed for consoles. MS does occasionally put stuff like this on sale through the marketplace (and Sony may as well, but I don't remember seeing this), but I don't think I've ever seen a sale on DLC packs in the Bioware store.

Ahh that sucks then. I'd like to eventually have both versions like I do with ME1 but Bioware charges too much for the DLC on a game that's always on sale.

[quote name='The Nephilim']Ahh that sucks then. I'd like to eventually have both versions like I do with ME1 but Bioware charges too much for the DLC on a game that's always on sale.[/QUOTE]

Well, its the razor blade idea. They will give you a free razor, but then they will charge shit ton of money for the blades.

[quote name='xxjonoxx']I followed these directions exactly and all I get when I enter my CD Key at the first site is this error:

Error Code 102: Unable to verify CD Key as entered, please check key and try again.[/QUOTE]

I think youll need to contact ea support. There was a thread on either the ea or bioware forums about that error and the response was to contact support directly.

That old site is probably having trouble with the traffic from this sale.

[quote name='paz9x']I think youll need to contact ea support. There was a thread on either the ea or bioware forums about that error and the response was to contact support directly.

That old site is probably having trouble with the traffic from this sale.[/QUOTE]

I think that's what I will do. DLC issues aside, I just finished playing Mass Effect 1 for 8 hours straight from this sale. Love it!

Okay, weird question here.... I bought Mass Effect from d2d a year or so ago and when I played it, if something "popped up" on my PC, the game would toggle away from the game to whatever popped up. This happens with all games, no biggie, normally the game goes to standby mode (or pause) and then I toggle back to the game when I have typed in whatever I needed to do.

Except with ME.... when I try to toggle back to the game, it wont let me!!! The game just locks up and will not restart. Is this just the d2d version or would the same thing happen if I bought the steam version too?

Yeah, I know I should stop the whole "pop-up" thing from showing, but I need the info shown so that is not an option.

[quote name='Zipomatic2']Okay, weird question here.... I bought Mass Effect from d2d a year or so ago and when I played it, if something "popped up" on my PC, the game would toggle away from the game to whatever popped up. This happens with all games, no biggie, normally the game goes to standby mode (or pause) and then I toggle back to the game when I have typed in whatever I needed to do.

Except with ME.... when I try to toggle back to the game, it wont let me!!! The game just locks up and will not restart. Is this just the d2d version or would the same thing happen if I bought the steam version too?

Yeah, I know I should stop the whole "pop-up" thing from showing, but I need the info shown so that is not an option.[/QUOTE]

A lot of games don't like priority being taken away from then, and even just Alt+Tabbing out of some causes them to crash. There's no real way around it, though. In full screen. I've got a boxed copy and the Steam version, and though it's been a while, I remember them doing the same.

But...try windowed mode. Set the resolution just a slight bit lower than your desktop resolution and you'll be able to switch windows without worry. Granted, it won't be full screen, but they, popups and browsers and holy crap not another cutscene *gets on RSS feeds* or even wait, where do I plan to put this skill point *check nerdy skill sheet.*

Hope this helps.

[quote name='ForeStorm']A lot of games don't like priority being taken away from then, and even just Alt+Tabbing out of some causes them to crash. There's no real way around it, though. In full screen. I've got a boxed copy and the Steam version, and though it's been a while, I remember them doing the same.

But...try windowed mode. Set the resolution just a slight bit lower than your desktop resolution and you'll be able to switch windows without worry. Granted, it won't be full screen, but they, popups and browsers and holy crap not another cutscene *gets on RSS feeds* or even wait, where do I plan to put this skill point *check nerdy skill sheet.*

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

What a fantastic idea, I have no idea why that did not occur to me, I'll give it a go, thanks mate!

What time do these deals usually go up? Also has Star Wars KOTOR been on sale lately? Never owned an Xbox and heard this game was sick so I really want to play it. One more question, why isn't the second KOTOR on steam?

I had assumed they were never going to put Crysis 2 on sale as part of this due to still featuring it on the main page rotation at full price.

I wish I wouldn't have been right.

They probably won't put Bulletstorm on sale either, if they didn't want to put Crysis 2 on sale.

Wish Crysis 2 was like 50% off. I had picked up the Maximum Edition of Crysis 1 during their Christmas sale in 09 I think. $13.xx, so $10 is solid!

I'm getting the Crysis banner, but the specials list Dead Space -75% and Dead Space 2 -25% as well. Bet they'll fix it to be Crysis and everyone gets a spoiler for one of the next two days!

[quote name='hamjay711']I'm getting the Crysis banner, but the specials list Dead Space -75% and Dead Space 2 -25% as well. Bet they'll fix it to be Crysis and everyone gets a spoiler for one of the next two days![/QUOTE]

Same thing I see. Dead Space for $5 and Dead Space 2 for 29.99.

Just as I was typing this, the discount is removed.

Crysis deal is now live, no discount on Crysis 2 however. Guess tomorrow is Dead Space day?

I see no sale on Crysis, only Deadspace. I wish I had a sick computer cause these sales are freaking awesome

They fixed it; looks like we will know one day this week will be Dead Space day w/ 25% off DS2 and 75% off DS.

Crysis $7.49
Crysis Warhead $4.99

or get both Crysis Maximum $9.99

Yeah, EA games always take forever and an age to get a decent sale price on Steam. I wouldn't expect Crysis 2 to be 50% off until at least the holiday sales.

Anyway, Crysis Maxium bought! Wanted to buy it during the Christmas sale, but had already spent too much by that point.

These deals are so good that it just makes me want to buy for the future since they wont run on my current computer. Should of just bought Sim City 4, I think that was the only game that would of ran on my computer lol.

[quote name='doh23']These deals are so good that it just makes me want to buy for the future since they wont run on my current computer. Should of just bought Sim City 4, I think that was the only game that would of ran on my computer lol.[/QUOTE]

And that, my friend, is how your backlog starts off. :lol:

Good deal on the Crysis Maximum Edition pack. Might plunge since it seems like this will be the lowest it'll be for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back