Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
i know this isn't exactly the right place but anyone got a share of the following four-packs?

looking for the following
1x Hoard
1x Terraria

PM paypal address :) i'll send over.
Steam: wilflare

finally cracked :X

[quote name='Phasher99']Farcry day.
75% off.

$7.49 for Complete Pack.

DAILY DEAL: Evil Genius 50% Off - $4.99[/QUOTE]

They also have it broken up into:

Farcry - $2.50
Farcry 2 - $5.00

if you just want one or the other...

[quote name='Phasher99']

DAILY DEAL: Evil Genius 50% Off - $4.99[/QUOTE]
Awesome game but it's been cheaper.
This isn't a bad price but it's gone lower at holiday sales

[quote name='xxjonoxx']Where's my HAWX 2 for sub $5? :([/QUOTE]

Check your PM's

Anyways, is Far Cry 1 and 2 worth the $7.50? Or just get 2 for $5?

[quote name='SeanTM22']Check your PM's

Anyways, is Far Cry 1 and 2 worth the $7.50? Or just get 2 for $5?[/QUOTE]

Heh, I'm in the opposite boat.

Pretty sold on Far Cry, wondering if 2 is worth the extra $5 (I'm sorry, $4.99 in the combo deal :razz:)

[quote name='SeanTM22']Check your PM's

Anyways, is Far Cry 1 and 2 worth the $7.50? Or just get 2 for $5?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Number 905']Heh, I'm in the opposite boat.

Pretty sold on Far Cry, wondering if 2 is worth the extra $5 (I'm sorry, $4.99 in the combo deal :razz:)[/QUOTE]

I played both. I didn't really care for Far Cry 2 but really enjoyed Far Cry 1. The problem I had with FC2 was not that there was a lot of driving to get to a mission, but more of the fact that on your drive there are guard posts and every fucking time you clear a guard post, it does nothing. They will keep respawning so you will get shot at/chased every time.

For $5, if your on the fence, don't buy FC2 and instead wait for a deal on the original Crysis since it's essentially the true successor to Far Cry.

But $2.50 for Far Cry is a steal. I might need to get in on that tonight.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I played both. I didn't really care for Far Cry 2 but really enjoyed Far Cry 1. The problem I had with FC2 was not that there was a lot of driving to get to a mission, but more of the fact that on your drive there are guard posts and every fucking time you clear a guard post, it does nothing. They will keep respawning so you will get shot at/chased every time.

For $5, if your on the fence, don't buy FC2 and instead wait for a deal on the original Crysis since it's essentially the true successor to Far Cry.[/QUOTE]

So you would say Farcry for $2.50 is better? I think I may be sold on that as well...

[quote name='iso135']So you would say Farcry for $2.50 is better? I think I may be sold on that as well...[/QUOTE]

Well here is the thing. Far Cry is made by Crytek. Far Cry 2 is not. Far Cry is more of a single player fps with a story and not a totally open world. Far Cry is a great game.

Far Cry 2 is a open world type of game (Like a GTA with missions and such). Although Far Cry 2 to me suffers from respawning enemy points that are constant and make it a pain in the ass to drive anywhere. It got too annoying after awhile.

So yes I am saying Far Cry is better, but then again they are made by different developers. So take that into consideration.

[quote name='Rehykja']Just a friendly reminder to note the SecuROM on Farcry 2. Machine activation limit.[/QUOTE]

That SecuROM has been removed. No activation limit now. I've got the DVD version and no longer that or needing the DVD in the drive.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Am I the only one that isn't endeared to Sam & Max? I got the Wii compilation of the first season, and I found the gameplay got old. Maybe because I was playing the episodes back to back? Perhaps these kind of games do better with a nice gap in between episodes.[/QUOTE]

I played Season 1 on Wii and bought the rest directly from Telltale for PC. I wanted to comment that the Wii version is noticeably sluggish compared to the PC versions and the experience was definitely better with a mouse and without choppy audio and visuals, even if they were only slight.

Also, the games become increasingly better in sequence, so long as you are willing to forgive the Moai one in season 2. My favorites are Night of the Raving Dead and They Stole Max's Brain.

Farcry 2 is still a beautiful game with one of the most impressive fire damage and weather physics I have ever seen. But the gameplay sucks due to the things mentioned above (spawns at crossroad points and the downpour of random attacks when you are driving around).

A shame, really. You don't buy a game just for it's looks.

[quote name='usickenme']Maybe I am the rare person that really like FarCry 2. Certainly worth $5.[/QUOTE]

I looooved FarCry2. I'd go so far as to say it's in my top ten list. As with most of the games in my list, I see the problems with the games, but other aspects really overshadow the negative for me. With the shoddy hit detection comes the decent (satisfactory in my case) upgrade system. With the huge map comes varied locations, wonderful scenery, and lots to explore. With the annoying guard posts comes the fear when they do spot you driving. Every single time I hear that engine rev, I always say "shit shit shit..."

So yeah, I am in the minority that really enjoyed the game, but for $5, is it really that big of a problem? The Far Cry complete collection is now mine!

FarCry 2 is definitely worth it for $5 if you don't mind a fair amount of mindless wandering.

Is FC1 still worth looking in to? Or is it showing its age?

[quote name='pROvIs']All of the episodes show up as individual games, so yes.[/QUOTE]

Good to know.

[quote name='pROvIs']I like playing them with my Fiance. You have to like adventure games. I never used to enjoy them when I was younger but I appreciate them now.[/QUOTE]

I do like Adventure games. They tend to be among my favorite games. I think maybe I just played too much Sam & Max all at once. I'm strongly considering the Complete Pack, or at least the second season.

According to some people on the steam forums, Farcry runs fine on Win 7.

Also, for anyone who is curious about Sam & Max (Although it might be a little late cus the sale ends soon)
One episode (their best reviewed one) was made free, so give it a try before buying the complete pack if you want.
http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/lincolnmustdie

Edit: You can install that episode for free through steam here: Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die!

[quote name='etcrane']Is it true Farcry won't run in Windows 7 or has that been fixed?[/QUOTE]

I installed it and played it for about 20 minutes without any problems.

[quote name='Donkosaur']That SecuROM has been removed. No activation limit now. I've got the DVD version and no longer that or needing the DVD in the drive.[/QUOTE]

Correct Securom was completely "patched out" of retail and i believe steam as well. Its not like retail bioshock where they just gave unlimited activations.

Far Cry is definitely the better of the two. Far Cry 2 looks great and has lots of good things go for it, but the nuisances outweigh the good. I appreciate the graphical quality and the amount of content, but I can usually only play it for a couple of hours before uninstalling it.

Cool ... grabbing Far Cry ... loved it on 360 with the map editor, always wanted it on PC but didn't have a PC at the time I originally played it on xbox/360

[quote name='utopianmachine']Good to know.

I do like Adventure games. They tend to be among my favorite games. I think maybe I just played too much Sam & Max all at once. I'm strongly considering the Complete Pack, or at least the second season.[/QUOTE]

Season 1 Episode 4 is free (Abe must die). To see if you like the game.

Thought about getting Sam & Max, but I think I'll hold off for now. I'm really more itching to play the Strong Bad game I have sitting around, so I should probably do that rather than spend money on a series I'm only kinda interested in.

Fine, Steam. You win again with this Far Cry nonsense. Yay backlog.

Definitely getting Terraria next time there's a good sale, after actually checking out some videos and realizing how awesome it looks.

[quote name='KingDox']Am I the only one who found the first Far Cry really hard for some reason?[/QUOTE]

No. The enemies have particularly good aim from far away. Also - this was before everyone started doing regenerating health.

I just re-bought the game two days ago with the 33% off...should have waited and saved four bucks.

[quote name='KingDox']Am I the only one who found the first Far Cry really hard for some reason?[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Far Cry 1 is one of very few games that I started but quit. Even at normal difficulty, the AI just creamed me over and over. I got tired of played the same scenes over and over trying to get through them, and just quit playing. The game is attractive, but the story didn't impress me, and gameplay was repetitive because, well, I kept dying. IIRC you can't save at-will; you have to play scenes over and over.

[quote name='gcorlett']IIRC you can't save at-will; you have to play scenes over and over.[/QUOTE]

That was Far Cry 2, which had save points. It kind of sucked in that sense, because if you failed a mission, you would have to start all over by driving to that mission all over again.

So far I am not impressed with Ubisoft's steam sales.

Not sure if it's worth a new thread, but Steamworks game Dawn of War II: Retribution is $20.07 at GamersGate now (they give you the Steam key). Cheapest I've seen it.

[quote name='j-cart']That was Far Cry 2, which had save points. It kind of sucked in that sense, because if you failed a mission, you would have to start all over by driving to that mission all over again.

So far I am not impressed with Ubisoft's steam sales.[/QUOTE]

Not true, the PC version has quick saving.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Not true, the PC version has quick saving.[/QUOTE]
Yes, that was patched in after release IIRC. (Re: Far Cry 2)

Edit: forgot to mention, don't buy it, it almost works as a game but just doesn't, you can see how there's a good game in there but it's a miserable experience, pain, anguish, suffering, what a horrible game, I hate it, I hate it, don't buy it, and it's from Ubisoft as well, so you shouldn't buy it anyway! With Ubi, if in doubt, go without!

How did I forget to mention that?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back