Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PenguinJim']
Edit: forgot to mention, don't buy it, it almost works as a game but just doesn't, you can see how there's a good game in there but it's a miserable experience, pain, anguish, suffering, what a horrible game, I hate it, I hate it, don't buy it, and it's from Ubisoft as well, so you shouldn't buy it anyway! With Ubi, if in doubt, go without!
[/QUOTE]

Far Cry 2 is actually one of the few FPS games I've really enjoyed. It definitely had a whole mess of problems, but I just loved how expansive the world was, it felt so much more open and free than most FPS.

People hate on Far Cry 2, and the reasons they state are valid. But it was still a solid shooter and I had fun for the 20-25 hours I played it. I particularly enjoyed changing my weapon loadouts every few hours and trying out new ways to assault guard posts/bases and wasting fools.

It's one of those games where you have to be creative and kind of create your own fun.

FarCry 2 is basically S.T.A.L.K.E.R. lite. It plays more like a run-and-gun shooter, but you have a pretty damn big playground. I didn't mind the re-spawning baddies, gave me lots to shoot at with the various weapons. The one thing that did disappoint me was that there is actually far less "choice" than the game makes you think you have. Your choices don't really matter in the end and after playing for 35 hours, realizing that, I felt a bit cheated.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']People hate on Far Cry 2, and the reasons they state are valid. But it was still a solid shooter and I had fun for the 20-25 hours I played it. I particularly enjoyed changing my weapon loadouts every few hours and trying out new ways to assault guard posts/bases and wasting fools.

It's one of those games where you have to be creative and kind of create your own fun.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this comment almost entirely. Yes, the game has problems. The main problems for me were the endlessly respawning guard posts and the ridiculous way in which they can see you from a mile away hiding in the bush and then they pursue you like a possessed demon if they spot you. However, the game is fun, the graphics are beautiful, and I had a good experience overall. Far Cry 1 is the superior game though I must say.

[quote name='dmdragon']When is the new deal going to go up? Still says Thursday and Far Cry.[/QUOTE]

For the Daily Deal? There's a timer above the thing on the Steam store page. Should change in about 1:10, at 12 CST, I think.

[quote name='ForeStorm']For the Daily Deal? There's a timer above the thing on the Steam store page. Should change in about 1:10, at 12 CST, I think.[/QUOTE]

He means the ubisoft game. It should be around 10am PST.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']He means the ubisoft game. It should be around 10am PST.[/QUOTE]

Still the same time. Price changes and store updates hit at 10AM PST/11AM MST/12PM CST/1PM EST.

farcry 2 was ok, but it could have been lights out had it been open to modding.
But just changing the respawn rates would have been a huge fix. As it was, I had to use cheats in order to finish the sp game in a fun manner.
and I don't know about the pc lara croft but co-op on the console version was great

[quote name='bvharris']Far Cry 2 is actually one of the few FPS games I've really enjoyed. It definitely had a whole mess of problems, but I just loved how expansive the world was, it felt so much more open and free than most FPS.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, if they got rid of those respawning guard posts, I would of loved FC2. I loved the world, the openness of it. It was just so annoying driving somewhere and every minute having a bunch of people on your ass. The problems of the game just got to me, but it had a lot going for it. In fact if there was a mod to remove those respawning guard posts I would recommend it highly.

Hopefully I can download my copy of Far Cry tonight. Power is fucking out at my place due to storms, no clue when it is coming back on.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']WOW, star trek for 3.75 hmmmmm seems worth just a one month play for the price of a sandwhich lol[/QUOTE]

Has it not gone free to play yet? I might consider trying it out for that price too.

[quote name='bvharris']Has it not gone free to play yet? I might consider trying it out for that price too.[/QUOTE]
It's not free to play yet. When it does (and if it does), I might play it if my GF wants to (She is a big Star Trek fan).

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Yeah, $3.75 for 30 days of STO is probably worth giving a shot. I did the same with LOTRO.[/QUOTE]

They would have to pay me to play LOTRO for a month lol

[quote name='utopianmachine']Think we'll see a Steam Memorial Day Weekend sale? Seems everyone else is having one.[/QUOTE]

Nope, we didn't last year and I doubt it will happen this year. They probably will have their summer sale again that starts late June though I'd imagine.

For anyone who remembers the message in a bottle episode of VOY they just or soon wil release the prometheus class ship. That was one bad mamma jamma. Although they will probably ruin it in STO with class equality crap.

For anyone who buys Star Trek Online, you might want to wait until the next big update before activating it.. Ground combat is supposed to get a significant revamp in July..

Also.. If anyone buying it would be nice enough to allow me to refer them, please send me a PM! Danke!

For folks who like Trek or Sci Fi in general I think they should give STO a shot. Its really improved since launch and if it does go free to play in the future (I expect it eventually will) then chances are you'll keep all the goodies included in steam's "Deluxe" version.

Ground combat is going to get redone in July, but the changes hit test early June. So you always have the option to start playing now and try out the new stuff in on the test servers.

For folks who like Trek or Sci Fi in general I think they should give STO a shot. Its really improved since launch and if it does go free to play in the future (I expect it eventually will) then chances are you'll keep all the goodies included in steam's "Deluxe" version.

Ground combat is going to get redone in July, but the changes hit test early June. So you always have the option to start playing now and try out the new stuff in on the test servers.

Totally in for BiA: Hell's Highway. Been waiting for that to hit $5 for a long time.

I'm also seriously considering STO. I'm a huge Star Trek fan and $3.75 seems like a decent price for 30 days of play and it'll be nice to have for when it goes F2P. The only problem is that it's an MMO and requires more time than your average game.

[quote name='dmdragon']They would have to pay me to play LOTRO for a month lol[/QUOTE]

Why? LOTRO is easily one of the better MMO's out there.

[quote name='saunders45']Why? LOTRO is easily one of the better MMO's out there.[/QUOTE]

I played it years ago and it was terrible, nowhere even close to one of the better ones, but that was years ago so it's possible it's better now.

[quote name='KingDox']For folks who like Trek or Sci Fi in general I think they should give STO a shot. [/QUOTE]

I'm a huge Trek fan but not a huge MMO guy, so the question I would have is whether you can have fun with the game playing solo? I would assume that I could at least get 30 days worth of enjoyment out of it that way.

On the fence about Brothers in Arms. I played through Hell's Highway and found it to be OK. I had previously been interested in Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood, although that interest has waned over the years.

Anyone play these recently who would like to chime in on whether or not they are worth playing through? Do they hold up?

Never played any BiA games; are the three worth $10?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Totally in for BiA: Hell's Highway. Been waiting for that to hit $5 for a long time.

I'm also seriously considering STO. I'm a huge Star Trek fan and $3.75 seems like a decent price for 30 days of play and it'll be nice to have for when it goes F2P. The only problem is that it's an MMO and requires more time than your average game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']Never played any BiA games; are the three worth $10?[/QUOTE]

I've only played Hell's Highway, but it is a fantastic game. I played it on 360, I can only imagine it's even better on the PC. I'm debating getting it myself.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm a huge Trek fan but not a huge MMO guy, so the question I would have is whether you can have fun with the game playing solo? I would assume that I could at least get 30 days worth of enjoyment out of it that way.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much play it solo all the time, there are enough missions there to keep it interesting.

[quote name='jkimrey']Never played any BiA games; are the three worth $10?[/QUOTE]

I've only played Road to Hill 30 (the first of the series) but BiA is basically a WWII FPS but instead of being a generic run-and-gun game (like Medal of Honor/Call of Duty), BiA is more of a tactical combat game with its unique team command menu. Because you can't be a one man army in BiA, it puts you in a more realistic WWII firefight situations where you have to rely on your teammates for firing cover and support; allowing you to flank the enemies.

Overall, the pack is well worth the $10 if you like tactical and/or WWII FPS.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm a huge Trek fan but not a huge MMO guy, so the question I would have is whether you can have fun with the game playing solo? I would assume that I could at least get 30 days worth of enjoyment out of it that way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I solo about 90% of the time. Only the final Max level missions require you to group with people. And even then those missions kinda suck, so even if you are hard core and max level in the 30 days I would run my 30 day sub playing story based foundtry missions over the max level missions.

Loved the Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter series - sounds sort of similar to those games?

[quote name='immanewb']I've only played Road to Hill 30 (the first of the series) but BiA is basically a WWII FPS but instead of being a generic run-and-gun game (like Medal of Honor/Call of Duty), BiA is more of a tactical combat game with its unique team command menu. Because you can't be a one man army in BiA, it puts you in a more realistic WWII firefight situations where you have to rely on your teammates for firing cover and support; allowing you to flank the enemies.

Overall, the pack is well worth the $10 if you like tactical and/or WWII FPS.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']Loved the Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter series - sounds sort of similar to those games?[/QUOTE]

On a much smaller scale. It's a bit more of a corridor shooter, whereas GRAW is very large, open, and outdoorsy.

I would definitely recommend it at $10 for all 3. I haven't played the earlier 2, but Hell's Highway was pretty sweet.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I would definitely recommend it at $10 for all 3. I haven't played the earlier 2, but Hell's Highway was pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

The production values for the BIA games are pretty high, and they bring a different aesthetic to WWII games than found in COD or MOH. BIA's pace is a little slower, more measured. U control a squad leader and direct your teams to assault enemy positions while you try and position yourself for the kill shot. What's nice is that you play the same character thru the whole game, and your partners are recurring characters, not faceless bots. Because you can actually give orders to your team mates, it feels a lot less like an FPS game. The graphics have always been well done, even back on the PS2. I have not played Hell's Highway, but played the 1st two on the PS2 and found them to be a breath of fresh air for the WWII genre. For $10 they are a steal.

Did anyone else notice that BIA: RTH30 and BIA: EIB say "Windows 2000 / XP only" under the system requirements? Did anyone with Vista or Win 7 get those two to install OK?

[quote name='shrike4242']Did anyone else notice that BIA: RTH30 and BIA: EIB say "Windows 2000 / XP only" under the system requirements? Did anyone with Vista or Win 7 get those two to install OK?[/QUOTE]

Played about 30 minutes of RTH30 last night and everything was fine.

[quote name='shrike4242']Did anyone else notice that BIA: RTH30 and BIA: EIB say "Windows 2000 / XP only" under the system requirements? Did anyone with Vista or Win 7 get those two to install OK?[/QUOTE]

I think that's because Vista/7 weren't out when they released the games, and they said that to exclude 98/ME.

Daily Deal - Samorost2 60% off!

Looks like Assassin's Creed day.
33% off Brotherhood (lol)
66% off the other 2 games.

Anyone think IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover will be on sale tomorrow? Hahaha.

Been thinking about getting into the AssCreed series for a looooong time but still harbor concerns about DRM issues and whatnot. Also heard about an Ultimate edition that packs in 1 and 2 coming out?

Should I just play it on consoles instead? Is there going to be an Ultimate edition that's cheaper for consoles? Or should I brave the PC version and jump on this sale?

Gah, AC2 still has DRM even though it's no longer the always on one. Probably still picking it up though.

The ultimate edition is supposedly $20 when it comes out, don't know much about it other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back