Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']What are the mods for Oblivion that make it so great? I tried playing the console version awhile back and found it horribly overated. The combat seemed sluggish, I hated that I was so limited on what I could carry and that the game did not make it clear enough whats important/valuable to keep, your charcter moved boringly slow and the world seemed empty despite claims of it being bustling with things to do(yes there is lots to do, but first you spend 10 mins running through a huge dull empty field).

What do the mods do to make it so much better?[/QUOTE]

Completely overhaul game mechanics, make the world a much more interesting place to interact with. I wouldn't play Oblivion without mods, they really fill out the low points in the experience. Check out tesnexus for an idea on whats available.

Then again, I haven't played it in several months, so I have no idea what new is available. I can only think that it has gotten even better.

The Ball and Magicka just finished updating themselves on my computer, I guess we can look forward to Camp activities on those two games, which mean they'll have a daily deal on both of them

[quote name='MSI Magus']What are the mods for Oblivion that make it so great? I tried playing the console version awhile back and found it horribly overated. The combat seemed sluggish, I hated that I was so limited on what I could carry and that the game did not make it clear enough whats important/valuable to keep, your charcter moved boringly slow and the world seemed empty despite claims of it being bustling with things to do(yes there is lots to do, but first you spend 10 mins running through a huge dull empty field).

You need to play more RPGs, lawl.

Mods can fix all those "problems" you just mentioned (and other balancing/tweaks in general), add thousands of spells, monsters, items, houses, quests, races, nude textures and most importantly, sex animations. On top of that, many people have spent years making professional-grade stand-alone campaigns that span tens if not hundreds of hours apiece.

If anyone is interested, the biggest Elder Scrolls mod sites are:
TESNexus
Planet Elder Scrolls

[quote name='helmet']Completely overhaul game mechanics, make the world a much more interesting place to interact with. I wouldn't play Oblivion without mods, they really fill out the low points in the experience. Check out tesnexus for an idea on whats available.

Then again, I haven't played it in several months, so I have no idea what new is available. I can only think that it has gotten even better.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Ill look in to it and might try and bite based on mods. Iv tried the actual game on consoles a few times and as I said I just got sick of spending 10 mins running up a mountain only encoutering 2 or 3 wolves along the way.

[quote name='helmet']Completely overhaul game mechanics, make the world a much more interesting place to interact with. I wouldn't play Oblivion without mods, they really fill out the low points in the experience. Check out tesnexus for an idea on whats available.

Then again, I haven't played it in several months, so I have no idea what new is available. I can only think that it has gotten even better.[/QUOTE]

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/cat.php?id=79

Took me awhile to find a link but here it is for everyone else.

If anyone has a good list of "must-have" Oblivion mods, sharing would be wonderful.

[quote name='AstronautAvA']Anyone want to take a guess on the likelihood of any of these games getting cheaper than they already are?:

Silent Hill: Homecoming (50% off)

Vampire: Masquerade (33%)

Dead Space 2 (15 dollars if you get the 2 pack)

since Konami just has all of their games at 50% off, I feel like that is gonna just stay there and I'm not so sure about Vampire. Any guesses?

edit: Jk on the dead space bit, I misread the "you save" part.... I always do that.[/QUOTE]

Vampire: Masquerade was 50% off ($10) a couple months ago on D2D. Game occasionally goes for sale for that price over there (believe it's usually around Halloween).

[quote name='scarhawk']Looks like GW Trilogy is 33% off and Terraria is 25%.
Was hoping that GW Trilogy would be at least 50% off :([/QUOTE]
GW Trilogy isn't terrible for $20. You do basically get three complete games.

Terrarria is worth the $7.50. My Girlfriend spent like close to 100 hours in it already :lol:.

I asked the same question a while back.
Let me help both of you. While this is not all the great mods out there, it greatly enhances the game.

OOO is highly recommended, 1.33 is the latest stable version but there is also a 1.34 beta version on TES Nexus, I tried it and didn't notice any adverse effects. I also recommend the Unofficial Oblivion Patch and the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch as these fix a lot of issues that aren't covered by the official patches.

Some other mods I like are the Darnified UI, which makes the interface a little more PC-like and the Keychain (avoids inventory clutter by attaching all your keys to a keychain). I also use Exnem's Female EyeCandy and Male Fullbody which get rid of the permanent underwear and replace the models by more detailed ones (you need to register at TES Nexus to see them, as they contain nudity).

On the graphics side, I use the "redimized" (reduced and optimized) version of Quarl's Texture Pack 3 for Oblivion and Bomret's Texture Pack for Shivering Isles. Good additions to these texture packs are the BTQ Lods (which replaces the faraway textures) and some textures for doors and flora, ingredients, signs, trees and more trees. There is also a nice mod for more atmospheric weather. Very nice, but also very demanding in terms of performance is RAEVWD (also available are a Shivering Isles version als well as addons for compatibility with the texture packs). This cryptic abbreviation means "really almost everything visible when distant" and the mod adds low resolution meshes for most of the dungeons and structures, which are visible from the distance, so they don't pop up suddenly. Natural Environments also gives a nice touch, except for the weather component, which is a little bugged.

For the characters, I recommend Beautiful People and TNR.

Since these are a lot of mods, I recommend using Wyre Bash (to easily add and remove mods) and BOSS (which automatically arranges the mods in the optimal load order) for managing them. It may take some time to set up all of this, but once you are done, the reward is a much better looking and playing game.

[quote name='bantheradio']http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/cat.php?id=79

Took me awhile to find a link but here it is for everyone else.

If anyone has a good list of "must-have" Oblivion mods, sharing would be wonderful.[/QUOTE]

Sweeeet. Thanks for putting that together! I know what I'll be doing tonight!

.... Actually, I'll just play more Minecraft. They added pistons today! But I've bookmarked this post and you made my life a lot easier for putting it together like this.

[quote name='zico']I asked the same question a while back.
Let me help both of you. While this is not all the great mods out there, it greatly enhances the game.

OOO is highly recommended, 1.33 is the latest stable version but there is also a 1.34 beta version on TES Nexus, I tried it and didn't notice any adverse effects. I also recommend the Unofficial Oblivion Patch and the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch as these fix a lot of issues that aren't covered by the official patches.

Some other mods I like are the Darnified UI, which makes the interface a little more PC-like and the Keychain (avoids inventory clutter by attaching all your keys to a keychain). I also use Exnem's Female EyeCandy and Male Fullbody which get rid of the permanent underwear and replace the models by more detailed ones (you need to register at TES Nexus to see them, as they contain nudity).

On the graphics side, I use the "redimized" (reduced and optimized) version of Quarl's Texture Pack 3 for Oblivion and Bomret's Texture Pack for Shivering Isles. Good additions to these texture packs are the BTQ Lods (which replaces the faraway textures) and some textures for doors and flora, ingredients, signs, trees and more trees. There is also a nice mod for more atmospheric weather. Very nice, but also very demanding in terms of performance is RAEVWD (also available are a Shivering Isles version als well as addons for compatibility with the texture packs). This cryptic abbreviation means "really almost everything visible when distant" and the mod adds low resolution meshes for most of the dungeons and structures, which are visible from the distance, so they don't pop up suddenly. Natural Environments also gives a nice touch, except for the weather component, which is a little bugged.

For the characters, I recommend Beautiful People and TNR.

Since these are a lot of mods, I recommend using Wyre Bash (to easily add and remove mods) and BOSS (which automatically arranges the mods in the optimal load order) for managing them. It may take some time to set up all of this, but once you are done, the reward is a much better looking and playing game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bantheradio']
If anyone has a good list of "must-have" Oblivion mods, sharing would be wonderful.[/QUOTE]

I've playing Elder Scroll Series since Morrowind and I really recommended it when you want to play it with mods.

Here the list of my essential modls for Oblivion:
  • Unique landscape
  • FCOM (this gonna make the vanila one goes insane and you need to download another gameplay mods like Obscuro Oblivion to make it complete)
  • Midas Magic Spell Aurum
  • Blood and Gore (need more blood)
  • Open cities (hell yeah... no loading.. get it if your PC got a good processor)
  • Natural Environment + Improved texture (its a photogragic Oblivion)
  • Kvatch Aftermatch, Elder Council, Lost Spires, and many of guest mods
  • The res you can find it in tesnexus :)

To the mod talk I would HIGHLY recommend you play the game first mod-free. For me mods are a bit like the old Game Genie or something, if you go too buck-wild right away you ruin the game.

It appears tomorrow's paycheck has already been accounted for, thanks steam!

Question about the valve pack. As I have many of the games thanks to past steam sales, would I be able to gift the ones I already have? Or is it a all or nothing deal. Me loves me some Portal 2

shid.png

Patience, Samus. You've waited nearly a year for this to be in an indie pack again. Patience.

Also, Call of Cthulhu, y u no 50-75% off?

Ok guys, I went ahead and got the 4 pack of Borderlands GOTY so I have 3 copies to gift. The price for them is 5.62 each since it was a total of 22.49 for the 4 pack. First 3 to pm me get them for 5.62 each. Must be done paypal gift after payment I will send the invite to your email :)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm hoping for more of those indie packs. They're generally little creative goldmines.[/QUOTE]

Hardest thing about the Indie bundles is that once you start accumulating indie games in your library, the value of the bundles goes down. Instead of 5 new great indie games for $10, suddenly you're looking at a bundle with 2 games you own and 3 you don't.

Guess I shouldn't complain. But Valve has conditioned me to pay just $2.50 or less for those indie games, starting with Osmos for $2.00 back in the day. So I get grumpy about the bundles sometimes. But they are good for the developers, there's always that.

Utopian have you tried Detour? That looks good to me but I can't find anyone who's played it. It's $5 now and I expect bundling later.

[quote name='JKSonic']To the mod talk I would HIGHLY recommend you play the game first mod-free. For me mods are a bit like the old Game Genie or something, if you go too buck-wild right away you ruin the game.[/QUOTE]

It depends. I wouldn't recommend completely game changing mods (like the bullet time mod or something), but the one that essentially makes the UI usable I think is required from the start.

And then maybe a couple visual or weather mods on top of the UI mod and that is all I would recommend for a first time play through. It isn't going to drastically change the experience (besides maybe making you not hate the game for the inventory screen), but they will improve the experience a bit.

[quote name='bs000']Why did it go back up I was going to get it :cry:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I actually put it in my cart when it was at like 27 or something, but then the store kept going off and on so I went out and did some stuff. Came back and bam, full price. I'm hoping that they'll discount it sometime during the summer sale after it comes out.

[quote name='Glomerate']Don't you dare![/QUOTE]

Garshasp is one of the Summer Camp games. So if you're playing along you'll need it eventually.

[quote name='SamusXtreme']
shid.png

Patience, Samus. You've waited nearly a year for this to be in an indie pack again. Patience.

Also, Call of Cthulhu, y u no 50-75% off?[/QUOTE]
Recettear in that last indie bundle with a bunch of lousy games was a fluke. Recettear's staying power is obvious even to Steam. I doubt you'll see it in a $5 bundle any time soon. Or ever again.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']So, apparently the Bit.Trip.Beat ticket is actually for Runner. BTB is a pretty cool game that I was looking to get anyhow, but it still bugs me that they mismarked it. I hope they remedy this by either just giving me the ticket, or giving me BTR.[/QUOTE]

The Bit.Trip.Beat ticket is for Bit.Trip.Beat, not Runner.

The game didn't update correctly when the sale launched... it just updated a few minutes ago and is now working correctly. You have to get a perfect up until the giant rainbow squares, which is very simple.

I just got the ticket myself.

Edit: Swords and Soldiers ticket has been fixed, so all games work. Well, I can't speak for Lead and Gold, no interest in the game even for $1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Bit.Trip.Beat worth $2.50?

I'm looking at it and oblivion goty right now.

But I don't know.. is Oblivion too dated for me to enjoy.
Plus I heard it has a really annoying disease called vampirism where you have to do a long quest to cure it.

since limbo was announced today for steam & ps3 with a "very soon" release date. Im guessing the last day of the steam sale will be limbo on a 24hour sale.

Oh good grief. To get that Spacechem campaign and whatever other prizes look good, I'm gonna have to suck down a lot of lousy indie games, aren't I?

EDIT: Limbo for PC? Good news. Means I can get it cheap.

Bit Trip Beat is a decent sort of pong-rhythm game. I've played better Flash games but you could probably do a lot worse.

Vampirism in Oblivion is hard to contract. So long as you pay attention, you will be fine and not have to worry about it. (Spoilers: The disease is called Porphyric Hemophilia. When you fight a vampire and it says you contracted Porphyric Hemophilia, you might want to chug a Cure Disease potion. Just saying...) The problem is that Oblivion's "level scaling" is stupid to the nth degree. By the end of the game, even with 100 blade, most enemies were lasting longer than MY SWORDS in a fight. Still, great fun if you like freeform exploring dungeoneering stealing RPGing.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Oh good grief. To get that Spacechem campaign and whatever other prizes look good, I'm gonna have to suck down a lot of lousy indie games, aren't I?[/QUOTE]

Looks that way lol. I did the Bit.Trip.Beat one and the Toki Tori one so far... Had a lot of fun playing both of them. I am going to have to dive deeper into Toki Tori, some really clever puzzles in there.

What are you guys gonna spend your tickets on? I think I will go ahead and grab the only game available as a prize, Alien Breed 2...

Pretty cool concept.

I'm interested in getting in on a Borderlands GOTY pack as well, feel free to pm if any of you have slots or want to get a group together.

Toki Tori is great fun, but how many sun beams are there? I don't really want to spend all day prancing through those. It's a great game but not THAT good.

I think the only thing I want is the SpaceChem campaign.

[quote name='BREVITY']I got Dawn of War II Retribution & several of the Magicka DLC add-ons for me and my son. We love co-op games.[/QUOTE]

I want to pick those up as well but will probably wait on Magicka to see if its a daily deal.

It seems like a lot of good deals but not great ones here. I am back and forth about:

Back to the Future
Medal of Honor
DoW II Retribution
Witcher II but still way out of my price range

Also of note the Gratuitous Space Battles game and DLC are all 75% off and in a bundle for $10. Great deal there. I doubt it will get below that but may wait in case it does.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Toki Tori is great fun, but how many sun beams are there? I don't really want to spend all day prancing through those. It's a great game but not THAT good.

I think the only thing I want is the SpaceChem campaign.[/QUOTE]

There are 10 of them. All spaced out within the 1st world (forest). There is a guide on the steam forums if you need a little help. Levels they are on:

Normal: 6, 8, 11
Hard: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Bonus: 3

Have fun. You don't have to even complete the level, once you get credit for the tan exit to menu and go to the next level.

Yea it's a good game. Nothing amazing but the graphics are slick and the puzzles are tough... And you can't argue with the price :)

SpaceChem looks pretty sweet. I haven't tried it yet. If it were a little deeper discounted I think I would impulse buy it. Maybe if it's a daily deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back