Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fyrtoes']Im willing to get the 4 pack for borderlands. How do the other 3 pay for their share?[/QUOTE]

They pay for their share using paypal to send the money to you. I'm in if you decide to get the pack.

I bought both of the Bit Trip games and Oblivion. I've been meaning to get around to playing those games for a while now. I'm on holiday for a week from tomorrow so I'll have to catch the last few days of deals.

This sale is fucking killer so far. Capsized looks awesome and is $5, Frozen Synapse includes 2 copies of the game for $17, alllll the magicka DLC is on sale for under $2 mostly, the entire Oblivion pack for less than $9, and Section 8: Prejudice is a great game and is a steal at $10.

[quote name='scarhawk']Is Bit.Trip.Beat worth $2.50?

I'm looking at it and oblivion goty right now.

But I don't know.. is Oblivion too dated for me to enjoy.
Plus I heard it has a really annoying disease called vampirism where you have to do a long quest to cure it.[/QUOTE]

I just bought Bit.Trip.Beat. My first thought: It's hard. My second thought: It's really short. If you like Arkanoid/Pong or rhythm games and have the patience, it might be worth it. Also, there seems to be only 3 songs (+1 bonus from the Portal 2 Launch makes 4) at around 15 minutes each. In terms of length, it certainly isn't worth 10 bucks, but 2.5...well, it's your choice.

If you like CRPGs, chances are, you'll like Oblivion. The Elder Scrolls series is one of a kind and there's a reason why Oblivion got a 94 on Metacritic. Oblivion's staying power lies in it's massive sandbox world, hundreds of quests and great lore. Mods also increase replayability. Also, vampirism is incredibly easy to avoid if you cure it when you first contract "Porphyric Hemophilia" (The game will explicitly tell you). If I remember correctly, all you have to do is take a Cure Disease potion or visit a shrine (there's one in every city). Don't let that that small thing stop you from playing one of the greatest CRPGs of the past decade. And, if that's the only negative thing you've heard about Oblivion...well, that says a lot.

Also, I was wondering to the people who bought Section 8: Prejudice and/or Lead and Gold...

Are there more than just a few hundred servers? In other words, does a good number of people still play? Thanks in advance.

I'm a complete Steam noob, so brace yourself ...

If I buy bundle/pack on Steam (example) but I don't want all of the games included in the pack, can I give the unused games to another Steam user? Is the bundle given to me in one code, or individual codes for each game?

[quote name='cheapo72']Garshasp is one of the Summer Camp games. So if you're playing along you'll need it eventually.[/QUOTE]

Where is this listed as being a Summer Camp game? I'm not seeing it on said page.

For those that are curious about the length of time it takes for the Toki Tori achievement, I just did it in just a little less than an hour.

RollingSkull, if you just want to grab the sun beams with ease, there are complete walkthroughs with pictures in the Steam forum for the game. Its under the "Get a Tan" achievement thread.

I agree with the post above me, took me about an hour and I used a walkthrough for a few puzzles to get the sunbeam.

You don't even have to finish the level once you get it, and all the hard mode levels unlock at the same time so you don't have to go level by level like you do on normal.

The Swords and Soldiers ticket is incredibly easy to get too.

[quote name='nCogNeato']I'm a complete Steam noob, so brace yourself ...

If I buy bundle/pack on Steam (example) but I don't want all of the games included in the pack, can I give the unused games to another Steam user? Is the bundle given to me in one code, or individual codes for each game?[/QUOTE]

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656
"Only titles purchased in special promotions as outlined below are eligible for giftable extra copies."

Looks like the answer is no. I'm not sure though, maybe someone else should jump in on this.

[quote name='nCogNeato']I'm a complete Steam noob, so brace yourself ...

If I buy bundle/pack on Steam (example) but I don't want all of the games included in the pack, can I give the unused games to another Steam user? Is the bundle given to me in one code, or individual codes for each game?[/QUOTE]

You cannot cut the pack apart like that sadly, if you buy the pack its all yours.

[quote name='bonobos']guys!!! Is lead and gold any good for that 1 buck price? It look pretty good in the demo. Anybody still play it online, though? I'm thinking to buy the 4 pack so i could play with my friends so they can enjoy this summer sale madness lol.[/quote]

it's one fucking dollar.

Can anyone tell me if Borderlands PC supports the wireless 360 controller? I normally play happy little indie games, so this is probably a newb question. If the game says it's co-op, which it does, would my husband and I be able to play together from our respective Steam accounts if I get two copies of the game?

To those who are wondering about BTTF:

If you enjoyed the trilogy, get it. The voice acting is pretty damn awesome (Michael J. Fox even does some in the game!). The voice for Marty is spot on even though it's another actor. Christopher Lloyd is also part of cast as he voices Doc Brown.

The puzzles are pretty easy, but it's nice to experience a BTTF game that doesn't suck.

[quote name='AstronautAvA']it's one fucking dollar.[/QUOTE]

So what? For some people every dollar counts in this sale, I do recommend the game. It is fun but becomes boring after a few rounds.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Can anyone tell me if Borderlands PC supports the wireless 360 controller? I normally play happy little indie games, so this is probably a newb question. If the game says it's co-op, which it does, would my husband and I be able to play together from our respective Steam accounts if I get two copies of the game?[/QUOTE]

Don't quote me 100% on this, but pretty sure the controller is supported. (The PC version is still rather similar to the console version) And yes, you would be able to co-op with your husband~! The game is pretty much Post Apocalyptic Diablo 2 in an FPS. An awful lot of fun when co-opping with peeps!

Edit -
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868822&highlight=controller
It would appear that Borderlands on PC does support controller!

Should I get Section 8: Prejudice now? or wait to see if it's a daily deal? Decisions, decisions.

Edit: Actually I may not be able to run it. Can You Run It? says I need a better CPU. It says my graphics card isn't up to par either, but I highly doubt that.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']So what? For some people every dollar counts in this sale, I do recommend the game. It is fun but becomes boring after a few rounds.[/QUOTE]

One dollar mispent is seriously going to wreck your Steam budget? Yikes.

Every day during the summer sale there will be DAILY deals. If there is a game you want and is discounted but has not been a DAILY deal yet, wait until the last day to buy it.

Example: NBA 2K11 is $13.39 right now during the summer sale. However, it may be picked as a DAILY deal during the event and be discounted even more. So, if you want NBA 2K11 your best bet is to wait to see if it becomes a daily deal. If it does not by the last day then just pick it up at $13.39.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Can anyone tell me if Borderlands PC supports the wireless 360 controller? I normally play happy little indie games, so this is probably a newb question. If the game says it's co-op, which it does, would my husband and I be able to play together from our respective Steam accounts if I get two copies of the game?[/QUOTE]

Borderlands supports the 360 controller, so I'm assuming it supports wireless as well. I don't have a wireless 360 gamepad so I wouldn't know.

Co-op means multiple people can play from separate computers. Local co-op means multiple people can play from the same computer. Borderlands supports the former. In fact, I recommend that you only play it with someone you know.

[quote name='AstronautAvA']One dollar mispent is seriously going to wreck your Steam budget? Yikes.[/QUOTE]

Over the coarse of a year the attitude of not caring about one dollar could cost you hundreds.

[quote name='AstronautAvA']One dollar mispent is seriously going to wreck your Steam budget? Yikes.[/QUOTE]

For the people with non-refillable pre-paid cards, one buck can make a difference.

[quote name='Lemarfanz']does anyone still play Lead n Gold?[/QUOTE]

I also want to know this.

[quote name='littlebigphallus']For the people with non-refillable pre-paid cards, one buck can make a difference.

I also want to know this.[/QUOTE]

Only the people with $1 to spare play this.

Overall the sale isn't as impressive as the Holiday sale. Yes, yes, it's only day one but I'm talking about the obscure titles that definitely won't be dailies deals: stuff like Loki and Silverfall -- crappy ARPGs I was considering at 75% off during the Holiday sale are now only 33% off. Oh well. Hopefully there will be some decent dailies.

[quote name='bantheradio']Where is this listed as being a Summer Camp game? I'm not seeing it on said page.[/QUOTE]

It was one of the games which have recently had a hidden achievement added to them, which (based on the title/description) is related to Summer.

Look for it on the to-do checklist in the coming days.

[quote name='crzyboy88']To those who are wondering about BTTF:

If you enjoyed the trilogy, get it. The voice acting is pretty damn awesome (Michael J. Fox even does some in the game!). The voice for Marty is spot on even though it's another actor. Christopher Lloyd is also part of cast as he voices Doc Brown.

The puzzles are pretty easy, but it's nice to experience a BTTF game that doesn't suck.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing it on PS3 and love it enough to pick up the Steam version. Now all I gotta is find my credit card.

[quote name='gcorlett']Utopian have you tried Detour? That looks good to me but I can't find anyone who's played it. It's $5 now and I expect bundling later.[/QUOTE]

Afraid not. I don't play war games of any kind.

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Edit -
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868822&highlight=controller
It would appear that Borderlands on PC does support controller![/QUOTE]

That's really great news!

[quote name='littlebigphallus']Co-op means multiple people can play from separate computers. Local co-op means multiple people can play from the same computer. Borderlands supports the former. In fact, I recommend that you only play it with someone you know.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the clarification!

I tried watching some gameplay footage, but I am one of those lucky ducks that gets motion sickness from FPSs. It looks like you can't play the game from the third person.

I also got really excited about Elder Scrolls Oblivion, but it looks like it doesn't support any controller. I'm such a console gamer.

Oblivion looked really cool. :cry:

[quote name='TerboNurd']Every day during the summer sale there will be DAILY deals. If there is a game you want and is discounted but has not been a DAILY deal yet, wait until the last day to buy it.
[/QUOTE]

This. Learned that lesson the hard way. The only exception might be games from devs like Konami who have just discounted all their games by 50% or better. That's usually a sign.

Then again, there's so many good games during the daily's that you might as well enjoy those until the 10th, just to be safe ;)

I've got a job and 1 dollar is not a big deal for me but some maybe students who have a limited budget or a kid with a monthly allowance. Duh.

Today's dailies don't interest me :(

I kind of want MoH but I really don't wanna pay more than $5 for it considering what I've heard.

[quote name='mrsilkunderwear']I've got a job and 1 dollar is not a big deal for me but some maybe students who have a limited budget or a kid with a monthly allowance. Duh.[/QUOTE]

A fair point. It just always amuses me to watch people tear their hair out over the price of a soda. :p but forgive my sarcasm, I admire your frugality sir :)

[quote name='utopianmachine']
I also got really excited about Elder Scrolls Oblivion, but it looks like it doesn't support any controller. I'm such a console gamer.
Oblivion looked really cool. :cry:[/QUOTE]

If you really want to play Oblivion, there are many ways to get the 360 controller working with it. One solution: You can download a separate, fairly easy to use software called XPadder to bind your 360 buttons to keyboard/mouse events. Oblivion is also on the consoles, so the controls are certainly optimized for a console controller.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Today's dailies don't interest me :(

I kind of want MoH but I really don't wanna pay more than $5 for it considering what I've heard.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's not that good. Short SP campaign and crappy MP. Get COD--That's what MOH was trying to copy anyways (and poorly, might I add).

[quote name='fishphoenix']Today's dailies don't interest me :(

I kind of want MoH but I really don't wanna pay more than $5 for it considering what I've heard.[/QUOTE] It's very worth the $10. I got it for $8 from DD a few weeks ago. There's still plenty of people who play online. Getting into a game is a breeze.

So glad someone pointed out the Mawesome Pack - I played the demo on OnLive and thought it was really cool, so for $3 I'm totally in.

Assuming I can manage a few tickets earned, I want the Winter Voices content; other than that, no idea.

So glad someone pointed out the Mawesome Pack - I played the demo on OnLive and thought it was really cool, so for $3 I'm totally in.

Assuming I can manage a few tickets earned, I want the Winter Voices content; other than that, no idea.

Does anyone know if you can get the DLC for borderland from borderland goty if you already own the base game? Like can someone gift me the goty edition and I would receive the dlc?

The Syberia and Still life games are 50% off, in case no one has mentioned it yet. I noticed they weren't on the front page and aren't included in any 'developer discounts' so I thought people might want to know.

They're all worth five dollars, easy.

Yay Steam sale! Unfortunately (or maybe "fortunately"?) today's deals aren't much interest for me and the prices aren't quite low enough as impulse buys for me either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back