Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='voken']Does anyone know if you can get the DLC for borderland from borderland goty if you already own the base game? Like can someone gift me the goty edition and I would receive the dlc?[/QUOTE]

I can't answer for sure -- it's a good question though. But another option you may not have considered: The Borderlands DLC Pack (all 4 DLC at once) is on sale for $7.49, too. This might get around your problem, although i suspect you're trying to be a part of a GOTY 4-pack.

[quote name='GregSal1']Has anyone played Jamestown? It's on sale for $6.69, and I was wondering if it was any good. http://store.steampowered.com/app/94200/[/QUOTE]

Rockpapershotgun:
About the only problem with Jamestown, and this depends entirely on your perspective, is its length. While it boasts some twenty nightmarish little remixed bonus levels, the main campaign is only five levels long, and each of those can be completed in about four minutes. Of course, this is a game designed around the attraction of going back and mastering those levels on higher difficulites and only one credit, on more nuanced ships, but it still might come as a nasty shock to anybody expecting something that might take them even an hour to play through.

[quote name='littlebigphallus']Rockpapershotgun:
About the only problem with Jamestown, and this depends entirely on your perspective, is its length. While it boasts some twenty nightmarish little remixed bonus levels, the main campaign is only five levels long, and each of those can be completed in about four minutes. Of course, this is a game designed around the attraction of going back and mastering those levels on higher difficulites and only one credit, on more nuanced ships, but it still might come as a nasty shock to anybody expecting something that might take them even an hour to play through.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, sounds decidely oldschool.

Side note: anyone else find that title to be the most misleading name ever? Haha.

[quote name='AstronautAvA']it's one fucking dollar.[/QUOTE]

Well, I just wanna know whether is that game good enough because I heard many bad review about it. When it comes to a sale why not asking for the lowest price if its possible, no?

I skipped that LnG game by the way. I wish there some mistake in the pricelist so they gonna give that Dungeon Siege 3 for a $1.50 :applause:

[quote name='utopianmachine']

I also got really excited about Elder Scrolls Oblivion, but it looks like it doesn't support any controller. I'm such a console gamer.

Oblivion looked really cool. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Here's a link that explains how to set up the 360 controller on Oblivion. Oh...the 360 controller works fantastic with Borderlands...just a few quirks like you have to use the keyboard to scroll the map in the pause menu.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Controls

Couldn't help myself on Lead n Gold, if I just play it tonight and never again it is worth that to me.

Nothing else forced me to bite, yet...

Edit: I will also throw my endorsement on Borderlands: GOTY, and Oblivion: GOTY. I must have close to 200 hours combined on those for the 360. Almost tempted to buy them on pc at that price, but I have a backlog and a half...

[quote name='GregSal1']Has anyone played Jamestown? It's on sale for $6.69, and I was wondering if it was any good. http://store.steampowered.com/app/94200/[/QUOTE]

I hate to use cliches, but it is indeed a steal at that price. It's about as old-school in length as it gets, but the levels are designed nicely and the gameplay is fun so it's not that big a deal for me. Highly recommended.

One thing to note is that you should, for now, use a gamepad or keyboard if you have a high-end mouse. There's a problem with high-polling mice where the control is sluggish during gameplay (but not the main menus). The devs are actively working on this per the forum thread, but I figured I'd let you know now just in case. I have a Logitech G500 and I have this problem. Don't let this stop you from getting the game, though ;)

[quote name='jagdeep820']Just bought the thq pack which conveniently had a lot of the games i wanted at a great price[/QUOTE]
Yup, me too.

[quote name='GregSal1']Has anyone played Jamestown?[/QUOTE]

Its a good game if you're a fans of bullet hell kinda like arcade top-down shooter. But the length of the game is not that long, the only way to keep it more interesting is the score system and the unlockable ingame contents which need hour by hour of playing to be completed.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']I hate to use cliches, but it is indeed a steal at that price. It's about as old-school in length as it gets, but the levels are designed nicely and the gameplay is fun so it's not that big a deal for me. Highly recommended.
[/QUOTE]

Well said. I love it too. Highly recommended! It's possible it could be a daily deal though...

I use a gamepad so I don't know anything about the mouse problems.

Have you played on Judgment yet? I can beat the first stage but after that I'm toast lol. Need a lot more practice ;)

Hey does Borderlands have 4 player co op offline on the PC version???? Also even though i'm on a tight budget this sale. Feels good man! lol

[quote name='Dalrint']The Syberia and Still life games are 50% off, in case no one has mentioned it yet. I noticed they weren't on the front page and aren't included in any 'developer discounts' so I thought people might want to know.

They're all worth five dollars, easy.[/QUOTE]

Don't bite just yet though, there's supposed to be that Meridian4 Adventure pack coming.

[quote name='VindictiveGnome']What are these tickets everyone is talking about? Do you get tickets for buying games on sale, then you are entered into a raffle?[/QUOTE]

Under the banner is something called Day 1 Camp Activities. Click that for things to do to earn tickets. You can redeem tickets for items. Also, each ticket earns enters you into a raffle to get your top 10 games in your wishlist.

Just a heads-up, lots of games that aren't listed in the Specials section are also on sale. I checked my wishlist and saw all but one were on sale for 50% off.

Saira (developed by the maker of Knytt Stories) - $2.50
Anomaly: Warzone Earth - $5

Take a look!

[quote name='supershammy']Just a heads-up, lots of games that aren't listed in the Specials section are also on sale. I checked my wishlist and saw all but one were on sale for 50% off.

Saira (developed by the maker of Knytt Stories) - $5
Anomaly: Warzone Earth - $5

Take a look![/QUOTE]

That's because the Specials section is capped at 100 games. Best just to search the entire catalog.

[quote name='danh920']will my regular retail pc version of borderlands activate on steam?[/QUOTE]
Nope, the retail version cannot be activated on Steam.

[quote name='lito88']the witcher 2 worth it at that price?[/QUOTE]
It's the lowest price to date for The Witcher 2. IIRC, Direct2Drive also had it on sale for $34 when it was on pre-order. If you want it for cheaper and don't mind no Steam, CML

[quote name='sp8001']Well said. I love it too. Highly recommended! It's possible it could be a daily deal though...

I use a gamepad so I don't know anything about the mouse problems.

Have you played on Judgment yet? I can beat the first stage but after that I'm toast lol. Need a lot more practice ;)[/QUOTE]

Haven't gotten to that yet in Jamestown, but I'm looking forward to it, friend :)

Weeee! Been waiting a while for this. DoWII Retribution, Jagged Alliance 2 gold, Recettear, Spellforce Ultimate for me. What a steal.

[quote name='Dalrint']The Syberia and Still life games are 50% off, in case no one has mentioned it yet. I noticed they weren't on the front page and aren't included in any 'developer discounts' so I thought people might want to know.

They're all worth five dollars, easy.[/QUOTE]

I tried playing the Syberia DS game, but it was a horrible port. I'm thinking of trying the Steam version. Looked like a really promising game, and the reviews are good.

The Valve pack is a pretty good deal, but I honestly just want the stuff that's in the Orange Box. I just want Half-Life 2, the episodes and Portal 1. Just give me the Orange Box for like $7, that would be sweet.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I tried playing the Syberia DS game, but it was a horrible port. I'm thinking of trying the Steam version. Looked like a really promising game, and the reviews are good.[/QUOTE]

I played it way back in the day when It was released. Very good game and I enjoyed it from start to finish.

How can you tell when you can gift extra copies of a game? For example, my husband owns Spectromancer. He wants the DLC. I can buy the full game with DLC for $4.99, or the DLC is $5.00 by itself. If he gets Spectromancer+DLC, can he gift me the core game?

How can you tell when you can do things like this?

FYI, the Sega Genesis Collections (all four) are on sale for $5.02 each (or $2.00 each individual game, down from $2.99).

SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 1
SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 2
SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 3
SEGA Genesis Classics Pack 4

I would recommend picking up the fourth pack if only for the RPG's contained within. There aren't any Phantasy Star games on Steam as far as I can tell (search is failing on my bit time today), but the Shining games are well worth it.

I should also note that these games use a small, thin client to run, so you launch Steam, choose the Sega Genesis Collection from your library and away you go. There are resolution options galore as well as controller configurations.

The best part of this client is the ability to hit Esc to pause your current game state and then click Resume to pick up where you left off. You're also given the option of saving your current game session, too. GreenManGaming uses the same mini-client for their Genesis/MegaDrive games in case you're wondering. I for one welcome save states with these classic games; there is no way in hell I would ever beat Kid Chameleon in one sitting these days (or even when I was younger) ;)

Hope that helps, gang!

FYI, the Sega Genesis Collections (all four) are on sale for $5.02 each (or $2.00 each individual game, down from $2.99).

I would recommend picking up the fourth pack if only for the RPG's contained within. There aren't any Phantasy Star games on Steam as far as I can tell (search is failing on my bit time today), but the Shining games are well worth it.

I should also note that these games use a small, thin client to run, so you launch Steam, choose the Sega Genesis Collection from your library and away you go. There are resolution options galore as well as controller configurations.

The best part of this client is the ability to hit Esc to pause your current game state and then click Resume to pick up where you left off. You're also given the option of saving your current game session, too. GreenManGaming uses the same mini-client for their Genesis/MegaDrive games in case you're wondering. I for one welcome save states with these classic games; there is no way in hell I would ever beat Kid Chameleon in one sitting these days (or even when I was younger) ;)

Hope that helps, gang!

[quote name='utopianmachine']How can you tell when you can gift extra copies of a game? For example, my husband owns Spectromancer. He wants the DLC. I can buy the full game with DLC for $4.99, or the DLC is $5.00 by itself. If he gets Spectromancer+DLC, can he gift me the core game?

How can you tell when you can do things like this?[/QUOTE]

in steam, go to games > Manage Gifts and Guest Passes

If you have a giftable game it will be in there.

I'm pretty sure that one is not giftable. I believe the halflife games and the episodes for it, portal 1, and left for dead 1 are the only giftable ones.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']FYI, the Sega Genesis Collections (all four) are on sale for $5.02 each (or $2.00 each individual game, down from $2.99).

Hope that helps, gang![/QUOTE]

So it's the Gens emulator basically :D

And yes, Kid chameleon is hard as shit, but extremely fun.

[quote name='dmdragon']in steam, go to games > Manage Gifts and Guest Passes

If you have a giftable game it will be in there.

I'm pretty sure that one is not giftable. I believe the halflife games and the episodes for it, portal 1, and left for dead 1 are the only giftable ones.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for the advice. I googled an answer (which I probably should have done in the first place), and got this.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

Sounds like virtually nothing is giftable on Steam, unless it's Valve or was in a multi-pack. Good to know.

For Today's Deals:

Borderlands - It's been out awhile, this seems like a standard daily deal price for the GOTY. Tough call, i'd read some reviews then make the choice. $7.50 isn't too bad from what I've heard about this game so far.

Back to the Future - No idea what it's like but it's a game based off a movie so it's more likely to not be fantastic. 12 is a bit steep for a deal.

Recettear - cheaper in the Indie pack i got it in. Tried to play it once and ran away scared cause of the anime splotion of graphics and what not. hah, not a big anime fan but I've heard some people really like this if they are. Personally it's $5 well spent if you really like animes and rpgs.

Lead and Gold - Damn cheap, 70/100 metascore, 7.0 gamespot. Looks like a steal for $1.50. I'd grab it if your into shooters.

Oblivion GOTY edition (that includes Shivering Isles...a massive beautiful expansion) - who "hasn't" played this? If you still have not played this and like RPGs, GTA sandbox open ended gameplay, etc - This is a NO BRAINIER buy immediately deal. Fantastic Epic Game for the price. Many people who already own it on disc will probably buy this just to have a steam backup that can be downloaded instead of installed. Ah it's such a wonderful game for such a little wee $6.80 price...*sigh* Hell for 2 more bucks you can get the GOTY deluxe edition for $8.50... GET THAT. No really, the full deal is best. No holding back here. Absolutely a no brainer.

Witcher 2 - I got the Witcher 1 for $5 last winter sales and never really played it but a few times. Seemed alright, I might go back to it, but this certainly isn't much of a deal for $33.49! Only hardcore fans perhaps?. This game is popular in steam deals, it "will" be cheaper in the next round. Those videos and pictures are pretty damn sweet though anyways - am I right? haha

Medal of Honor - I've heard good things and seen the reviews. $10 perhaps makes it a decent deal.

Flashpoint Red River - No idea, but with that price I'm not even gonna check the ratings either. I like shooting games, but these are supposed to be daily deals so noo thank yous lol.

personally, I say Oblivion GOTY Deluxe Edition is the best bang for the buck hands down - great game if you haven't played it yet or only have a cd that has to be installed or only have the pira- nevermind that last one lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='gage006']Ugh, what a terrible day to get laid off. Probably gonna have to skip the whole sale now.[/QUOTE]

That sucks man, but you probably have bigger fish to fry anyways, just be glad it didn't happen AFTER you spent 100 bucks, then you might really be screwed

Oh, and borderlands is amazing, the game alone is worth 7.50 with all the xpacks makes it the best deal of the day, and maybe the whole sale. I have bought this game so many times in different forms that 2k needs to give me stock options

I got 3 tickets from the camp activities, now what should I spend them on? TF2 Shades, Portal 2 Snorkels, a Magicka map or Alien Breed 2:Assault. Do the tickets roll over to the next day if I don't use them or do they expire at the end of each day or at the end of the sale

[quote name='dmdragon']Oh, and borderlands is amazing, the game alone is worth 7.50 with all the xpacks makes it the best deal of the day, and maybe the whole sale. I have bought this game so many times in different forms that 2k needs to give me stock options[/QUOTE]

+1
if you dont have it and dont HATE shooters, buy it.

[quote name='paz9x']+1
if you dont have it and dont HATE shooters, buy it.[/QUOTE]

Even if you dislike shooters you may like this game. I mean I am not a big shooter guy, but Borderlands just has the awesome loot grind/loot pinata happiness that games like Diablo do. I feel like even though iv bought the PS3 and the Steam version(and paid seperatly for all the Steam DLC)that I owe them money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back