Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Terlan']So is the force unleashed II not worth it? I know its short and the story is supposed to be kinda meh, but the games not any fun at all?[/QUOTE]

Oh it's fun. Just that it's short and the story is kinda meh (or even bad). Doesn't mean it's not fun though. :D

For those who are looking to trim some fat off today's Heroes pack sale (savings of up to $2.50! :D) may opt to go for this route in which you only need to purchase "Tribes of the East" to fully experience the HoMM 5 campaign. I'll quote the user who posted about this earlier this year when Steam had the HoMM 5 pack on sale:

[quote name='darjeeling']I'm just going to pass along something I found on a Rock, Paper, Shotgun discussion thread that some of you might find interesting, regarding the Ubisoft sale this week. The short and sweet of it is that you can have HOMM5 Complete from just buying HOMM5: TotE.

Dominic White says:
05/25/2011 at 14:30

Ah yes, I almost forgot – if you haven’t already got it, it might be a good time to snag Heroes of Might & Magic 5: Tribes of The East off Steam at the moment. It’s $6.66 at the moment, and it has two mods (of sorts) that make it a much better, more well rounded game.

The first, is the original two campaigns. Tribes of The East is the second expansion for HoMM5, but it’s a standalone game, too. Get these files: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php – and you can play the original HoMM5 and Hammers of Fate campaigns in the upgraded ToTE engine. They don’t even behave like modded-in content. They just appear in the campaign menu as if they’d always meant to be there.

Secondly, a fan-patch which recently surfaced: http://www.bonddisc.com/ref/h5/
UI fixes, smarter AI and much better performance during CPU thinking cycles, especially on large maps. Get the Beta version from near the bottom of the page, as the current ‘stable’ build lacks native widescreen support.

In short, $6.66 gets you a bloody good, huge strategy-RPG with a bunch of improvements. It’s just a pity that Clash of Heroes (the Puzzle Quest-ish spinoff) isn’t coming to PC. Despite various internet tantrums over the cartoonish art-style, it’s a really, really good game.

[/QUOTE]

So, yes. If you're only interested in the HoMM 5 series campaign mode and no interest in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (or if you already own it), then you can opt just for the "Tribes of the East" standalone game at a low, low price of $2.50. :lol:

Hopefully tomorrow brings some epic sales.
I'm at 2 games right now.
Only $11.80 spent.

Please Steam
Put
Crysis/Terraria/GW Trilogy/Arkham Asylum and Dead Rising 2

[quote name='scarhawk']Hopefully tomorrow brings some epic sales.
I'm at 2 games right now.
Only $11.80 spent.

Please Steam
Put
Crysis/Terraria/GW Trilogy/Arkham Asylum and Dead Rising 2[/QUOTE]

Terraria is on sale already....

theres a ton more than just the daily deals

search harder

I beat the first Dead Rising twice, and I even did DR2: Case Zero on the 360. I'm still setting my buy price at $5 though, mostly because I'm not sure if it would run on my computer and I'm too lazy to get a "demo" for it.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Terraria is on sale already....

theres a ton more than just the daily deals

search harder[/QUOTE]

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Option B; Wait for said games to become daily deals ;)

[quote name='TerboNurd']considering dungeons. what say you all?[/QUOTE]

Play the demo.... Only took me 15 minutes to decide to move on.

[quote name='TerboNurd']considering dungeons. what say you all?[/QUOTE]

Play the demo.... Only took me 15 minutes to decide to move on.

Thanks for the impressions on SW:TFU2, guys. I'll probably give it a shot. $9.99 is the cheapest I've seen it so far and I don't really expect to find it cheaper any time soon.

So all of my downloads keep pausing and going suspended, wtf is up with that?

I can't restart them, they keep going immediately back to suspended.

[quote name='immanewb']On one hand, they're hardly required DLC's as they don't add additional game story but just a few neat guns and vehicles. On the other, some of them seem kind of neat to have as an option when you use your beacon (I'm looking at the hovercraft :drool:; reminds me one of Jackie Chan's movie xD) and they're dirt cheap (a grand total of $2.23 for all of the DLC's). It's really your call if you want to "pimp" your game up.

Personally, I use the "Everything Unlocked & Available Through the Black Market" mod. It slightly cheapens your experience since the mod reduces the prices of everything to free or near free. However, since you usually have to cover a lot ground to get from one area to the next in JC2, it's very helpful to be able to call down a free jet plane.

Or if you want to avoid the Black Market mod, you could just install the "Increased Grapple Range & Speed" mod which will help you get from one point to the next a lot faster. I haven't used this mod personally, but it got decent votes among the community.

And modding Just Cause 2 is extremely easy since you just have to drag-n-drop a few files into a folder (or two). Easiest modding experiences I've had (compared to, say, Fallout 3; which could be a total nightmare).[/QUOTE]
So wait, are those vehicles exclusive to the DLC or just modded/upgraded versions of something already in the game? As in, without buying the Jet/Hovercraft do those vehicles already exist in some form in the game for you to hi-jack? Still waiting on this to finish downloading, so I can't check it out.

Believe me Scarhawk I know T_T but I got to at least try to stay strong and do it. Maybe I will get lucky and they won't daily anything else I want. After all I am really only looking at getting Killing Floor at this point.

[quote name='Jodou']So wait, are those vehicles exclusive to the DLC or just modded/upgraded versions of something already in the game? As in, without buying the Jet/Hovercraft do those vehicles already exist in some form in the game for you to hi-jack? Still waiting on this to finish downloading, so I can't check it out.[/QUOTE]

All the Black Market mod does is enable you to call down ANY vehicles that are already part of the base game. It CANNOT unlock weapons/vehicles from DLCs that you do not own. And, as far as I can tell, the mod doesn't modify the Black Market prices of DLC goods. So a $5,000 Chaos Parachute would still be $5,000 after the mod.

In general, yes: the DLCs will unlock exclusive weapons/vehicles in-game for you to call down from the Black Market.

[quote name='Jodou']So wait, are those vehicles exclusive to the DLC or just modded/upgraded versions of something already in the game? As in, without buying the Jet/Hovercraft do those vehicles already exist in some form in the game for you to hi-jack? Still waiting on this to finish downloading, so I can't check it out.[/QUOTE]

The vehicles are DLC exclusive. There are other planes, but they don't take off in the space of 50 ft. when upgraded. :p

The problem with the DLC items? You have to buy them every time you want to use them. Like with the motorcycle: use it to get around, do a mission, and then you may have to buy another one to get around to the next mission/area. It wouldn't be so bad (the game gives you A LOT of money) if the damn cutscenes didn't take so long.

I remember for the Quad Rocket Launcher (Boom DLC), it could use regular rockets. But Rico's gun thing? Special ammo. You could only get it from the black market. Ugh. Lame.

It's definitely worth the $5, though, if only to run around and blow shit up. Once you complete all the missions, you get a %complete text plastered on the bottom of the screen after every little thing done, like an armor pickup or that gas station you blew up.

...that part is highly annoying.

The dlc is super cheap now though Jodou so it might just be worth it to pick it up. I would say at least get the one that has the boosters for the parachute.

[quote name='Zenphic']Any opinions on The Heroes Pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sale/HeroesSale)? I enjoyed Heroes of M&M 2 and 3 back in the days.[/QUOTE]
First of all, realize that Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is a first-person shooter/action/light rpg. I have no idea why it's part of that bundle (other than simply the name) because it's going to catch more than a few strategy fans off guard.

Having said that, I loved DM M&M because I had no expectations of it going in. The reviews are fairly mediocre, but there's a lot of game there for the price. So much so that I'd recommend it at the standalone $2.50 price for non-strategy fans.

[quote name='ForeStorm']The vehicles are DLC exclusive. There are other planes, but they don't take off in the space of 50 ft. when upgraded. :p

The problem with the DLC items? You have to buy them every time you want to use them. Like with the motorcycle: use it to get around, do a mission, and then you may have to buy another one to get around to the next mission/area. It wouldn't be so bad (the game gives you A LOT of money) if the damn cutscenes didn't take so long.

I remember for the Quad Rocket Launcher (Boom DLC), it could use regular rockets. But Rico's gun thing? Special ammo. You could only get it from the black market. Ugh. Lame.[/QUOTE]
That's the feedback I was looking for, thanks.
[quote name='Terlan']The dlc is super cheap now though Jodou so it might just be worth it to pick it up. I would say at least get the one that has the boosters for the parachute.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, being a quarter each I figure it's worth the investment for some good times. I just wanted to make sure they weren't some re-skinned garbage that sounds fancy. Horse armor, if you will. :lol:

[quote name='dmdragon']So all of my downloads keep pausing and going suspended, wtf is up with that?

I can't restart them, they keep going immediately back to suspended.[/QUOTE]
Steam auto-suspends downloads if you start a game. However, you can start them again by clicking the pause/resume key twice (once to set the download from suspended to paused, then once to set it from paused to resumed) while playing a game.

Managed to get in on a Borderlands GOTY 4-pack, and I also got Heroes of Might and Magic V. Both are for my husband's account.

Know what the great thing about my husband's account is? I can play his games too. :cool:

Back to the Future so far for my account. I have about 6 games on my wishlist I tend to get by the end of the sale if there are no daily deals for them. :D

you guys. MOD THE SHIT OUT OF JUST CAUSE 2.

There is a Superman Mod. (This is now leading to an Iron Man mod)

There is a Mounted Jetpack Mod for your parachute.

There is a NO CUTSCENES mod.

There is a FPS mod.

There is infinite money.

There are incredibly massive explosions.

There is everything you want (except online co-op, Eidos cut that one down just as it was about to release.)

http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/top-50-mods.html

Is it possible to buy a gift pass for a game but to hold onto it for a later date? Or do you have to gift it right then. I think you can only gift it immediately.

"Complete 3 researchnet assignments on SpaceChem"
HAHAHA IM TOO STUPID TO EVEN HANDLE THE BASIC ASSIGNMENTS UP TO WHAT WOULD UNLOCK RESEARCHNET

SpaceChem is insanely humbling

[quote name='utopianmachine']Is it possible to buy a gift pass for a game but to hold onto it for a later date? Or do you have to gift it right then. I think you can only gift it immediately.[/QUOTE]

You could always gift it to another e-mail account that you own. And when you want to use that game to gift to someone else, you could use the "re-send game" and then send it to the person you desire. I'm not 100% sure about this, but that's about as close as you can get to buying a "gift pass" and hold onto it for later on.

[quote name='supershammy']you guys. MOD THE SHIT OUT OF JUST CAUSE 2.

[snip]

http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/top-50-mods.html[/QUOTE]

Yes, there's a lot of mods. But the base game is fine on its own. My only complaint is the amount of traveling needed to get from one place to the next (the place is pretty huge). Installing too many mods may end up cheapening your experience with the game (ie: making it too easy).

[quote name='rust in peace']damn missed Borderlands. Does Steam have all the titles on sale last day or am I SOL on the day 1 sales.[/QUOTE]

It's likely for games that sold well during the daily sale to be featured again on the last day of the sale. You could always try and find 3 others to split the 4 pack on the last day if it doesn't show up.

Just Cause 2's base shooting is kinda lousy and the gameplay is nothing special as a result, but for beautiful graphics and zipping around, I say it's totally worth it.

[quote name='immanewb']My only complaint is the amount of traveling needed to get from one place to the next (the place is pretty huge).[/QUOTE]
You just reminded me why I became interested in JC2 to begin with:
large-video-game-worlds2.jpg

Tagged the mods for later, as they always add longevity to games like this. I played Crysis for a year straight just trying different mods/maps.

[quote name='Jodou']You just reminded me why I became interested in JC2 to begin with:
large-video-game-worlds2.jpg

Tagged the mods for later, as they always add longevity to games like this. I played Crysis for a year straight just trying different mods/maps.[/QUOTE]

Nice pic. :applause: But, indeed. It becomes quite a pain when you're at one end of the island when the next mission you want to undertake is on the opposite side. Then on your way there, you get a bit trigger happy and end up with maximum heat on your tail. Good times. :lol:

And as a side note, I wonder how the world of Guild Wars compare in all of this. :eek:

[quote name='fyrtoes']They need to make the civ IV complete edition be on sale for 9.99. gamestop has it http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/sid-meiers-civilization-iv-complete-edition/74585[/QUOTE]

Patience. I believe they had it for as low as $4.99 for the complete pack at one point. Steam usually comes through.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Just Cause 2's base shooting is kinda lousy and the gameplay is nothing special as a result, but for beautiful graphics and zipping around, I say it's totally worth it.[/QUOTE]

The shooting, or rather aiming/auto-aiming, had to be very forgiving otherwise it'd be nigh impossible to effectively hit things when you're doing stuff like riding on top of a jet tethered to a jeep while shooting at the driver of a speeding boat.

[quote name='RollingSkull']"Complete 3 researchnet assignments on SpaceChem"
HAHAHA IM TOO STUPID TO EVEN HANDLE THE BASIC ASSIGNMENTS UP TO WHAT WOULD UNLOCK RESEARCHNET

SpaceChem is insanely humbling[/QUOTE]

I'm playing the demo now and it seems awfully complicated, but really cool.

Contemplating picking it up, even if I do end up spending an hour on every puzzle.

Picked up Just Cause 2 even though I own it on 360 because the game is extremely fun especially with simultaneously using the grapple and a weapon. It's what JC1 should've been and puts that game to shame. Now I can try out the DLC and mods. Also, I've been wanting to play all the Alien Breed games but they were too expensive on XBLA so I grabbed the trilogy for $11.xx too.

[quote name='supershammy']you guys. MOD THE SHIT OUT OF JUST CAUSE 2.

There is a Superman Mod. (This is now leading to an Iron Man mod)

There is a Mounted Jetpack Mod for your parachute.

There is a NO CUTSCENES mod.

There is a FPS mod.

There is infinite money.

There are incredibly massive explosions.

There is everything you want (except online co-op, Eidos cut that one down just as it was about to release.)

http://www.justcause2mods.com/mods/top-50-mods.html[/QUOTE]

I actually was like 30% of the way through Just Cause 2 on my PS3 when I bumped in to a topic at NEOGAF about modding the game. As soon as I saw the abilty to grapple across an infinite amount of distance I was sold. I traded in my PS3 copy to Amazon for $10 and assumed Steam would have a sale within the next few months. A week later I am downloading the steam version and checking out mods!

SpaceChem is probably one of the best puzzle games ever made. Each puzzle doesn't just have one answer, it has multiple *solutions*, so that each puzzle has its own replayability, if you're interested in bettering your reactions. It is seriously brilliant, and I can't think of any other puzzle games out there that reward synthesis as much as SpaceChem.

[quote name='jester55']

Anyway, can anyone tell me if Railworks 2 any good?

It looks totally different than SMR. Trains is the only common theme...
[/QUOTE]
Railworks 2 is the spiritual successor to Microsoft Train Simulator. It is about driving and simulating trains, not creating train routes. Many people also enjoy taking screenshots and sharing them. You can create routes in Railworks 2 with the included editor but there is a very steep learning curve. It is not a strategy game like Sid Mier's Railroads.

If you want more train strategy, Railroad Tycoon 2 and 3 are basically the adult versions of Sid Mier's Railroads.

They seem to have some good deals so far. I can't wait to see what they have on sale come July 4th. Here's what I've bought so far:

Order #1:

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete 3.34 USD
I-Fluid 1.25 USD
Penny Arcade Combo Pack 1.80 USD
Time Gentlemen, Please! 1.24 USD
Port Royale 2 1.24 USD
========================
Subtotal 8.87 USD
Tax 0.00 USD
========================
Total 8.87 USD

Order #2

Madballs in... Babo:Invasion - Four Pack 7.49 USD (sold three; $1.88 total)
Booster Trooper Four Pack 7.49 USD (sold three; $1.88 total)
========================
Subtotal 14.98 USD
Tax 0.00 USD
========================
Total 14.98 USD

woah. First time I've seen Drakensang and Dreamfall on sale. I'll have to get those at the end.

Also, looks like The Heroes Pack is only $2.50 USD in Canada and Australia? Can anyone in those regions confirm? Absolute steal at that price

woah. First time I've seen Drakensang and Dreamfall on sale. I'll have to get those at the end.

Also, looks like the Heroes of Might and Magic V pack is only $2.50 USD in Canada and Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back