Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='immanewb']You could always gift it to another e-mail account that you own. And when you want to use that game to gift to someone else, you could use the "re-send game" and then send it to the person you desire. I'm not 100% sure about this, but that's about as close as you can get to buying a "gift pass" and hold onto it for later on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing this suggestion. I didn't know you could re-gift a gifted game.

Anyone think Shogun 2 will drop lower than $30 sometime later this year? I played the demo and I really enjoyed it, just don't know if I want to spend $30 on it...

[quote name='utopianmachine']Thanks for sharing this suggestion. I didn't know you could re-gift a gifted game.[/QUOTE]

Even if you gift a game directly to a user through Steam, you can send it to someone else if that person doesn't actually redeem it.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Anyone think Shogun 2 will drop lower than $30 sometime later this year? I played the demo and I really enjoyed it, just don't know if I want to spend $30 on it...[/QUOTE]

It will almost certainly be cheaper during the Christmas sale. So if your not dying to play it you could wait.

[quote name='fishphoenix']Anyone think Shogun 2 will drop lower than $30 sometime later this year? I played the demo and I really enjoyed it, just don't know if I want to spend $30 on it...[/QUOTE]

Shogun 2 Steam Keys go for < $25 on ebay.
I sold mine for 25 bucks the other day.
The keys are totally legit. They come with certain graphics cards for free (came bundled with my Radeon 6870 card)

I know I'm the only one, but I'd love a Daily Deal on Winter Voices. I liked the first game, and picking up the rest for even better than 50% would make me quite happy. Still, the games are already 50% off. I'll get at least two episodes by the end of the sale.

Jumped on Just Cause 2. I was kicking myself for missing out on the D2D promo, so seeing it pop up for $5 on Steam, I had to. I have no regrets at $5.

Aargh, I just *had* to try the demo to Just Cause 2 based on all of your recommendations, didn't I?!

Welp, there goes a few bucks for the game and the discounted DLC (all between $.25 and $.49). I went ahead and picked up the Just Cause 2 + Prima Guide combo which saved me $2.50 (since the guide is on sale for $4.99). So, for under $10 (I get charged tax here in Seattle =P) I got a great new game, all the DLC, and a $2.50 guide (which has terrible reviews, but what the hey). Hm, Steam should just do a fragging bundle for this if you ask me. I think it'd sell even better.

Aargh, I just *had* to try the demo to Just Cause 2 based on all of your recommendations, didn't I?!

Welp, there goes a few bucks for the game and the discounted DLC (all between $.25 and $.49). I went ahead and picked up the Just Cause 2 + Prima Guide combo which saved me $2.50 (since the guide is on sale for $4.99). So, for under $10 (I get charged tax here in Seattle =P) I got a great new game, all the DLC, and a $2.50 guide (which has terrible reviews, but what the hey). Hm, Steam should just do a fragging bundle for this if you ask me. I think it'd sell even better.

I picked up Hydrophobia and Back to the Future the other day.

Playing 15 min of Back to the Future and its GREAT. I would play more, but im going on vacation from July 3rd to the 11th, so dont want to stop playing in the middle. BTW, how long is each episode??

Hydrophobia i heard has awesome water effects/physics.

I want to find a good game for my wife. She likes building crap (like the My Sims games on the Wii). Anything out there like that?

[quote name='Jerry-kun']Jumped on Just Cause 2. I was kicking myself for missing out on the D2D promo, so seeing it pop up for $5 on Steam, I had to. I have no regrets at $5.[/QUOTE]

You know, I actually don't like shooting games in general because I find them chaotic and hard to control (bad vertigo and terrible coordination), but this game I found to be absolutely fresh and wonderful to play. I just picked it up minutes ago based on the demo. While I still kind of stink at it (I think I'll get better - gotta run before I can walk), I was won over by the emphasis on exploration, open world feel, and gorgeous presentation. I half expected for it to be a run-and-gun kind of game but I was so happy it wasn't quite like that at all. I love the 3rd-person point of view and grappling hook mechanic, too.

Oh, and back to why I replied to this post: All the DLC and the strategy guide are half off for today. That's $.25-$.49 for each DLC pack plus $4.99 for the guide. The guide got terrible Amazon reviews, but since I picked up the game + guide combo it only came out to $2.49 extra, so I figured why not.

[quote name='TerboNurd']If the game you want hasn't been a DAILY deal yet, wait til the final day of the summer sale to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Do we still get tickets for the previous day's challenges as long as we compelete it before the end of the sale or no?

[quote name='Morphx2']Playing 15 min of Back to the Future and its GREAT. I would play more, but im going on vacation from July 3rd to the 11th, so dont want to stop playing in the middle. BTW, how long is each episode???[/QUOTE]

Each episode is no longer than a couple of hours, if that, just like most of Telltale's other serialized games. On the whole, however, you're getting a few solid hours of game altogether for just over a dozen bucks, so you still spent your money wisely, friend :)

very tempted by the thq hits collection although i do own a few of those titles. if i only wanted stalker, the titan quests and the dawn of wars is it worth $50 or do you think I can get those for cheaper down the road?

[quote name='mediamixerj']Do we still get tickets for the previous day's challenges as long as we compelete it before the end of the sale or no?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I joined the Steam Group today (Fri) and instantly got the ticket from Thursday's activity (to join the Steam group).

[quote name='hal']First of all, realize that Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is a first-person shooter/action/light rpg. I have no idea why it's part of that bundle (other than simply the name) because it's going to catch more than a few strategy fans off guard.

Having said that, I loved DM M&M because I had no expectations of it going in. The reviews are fairly mediocre, but there's a lot of game there for the price. So much so that I'd recommend it at the standalone $2.50 price for non-strategy fans.[/QUOTE]
I've watched a few walkthrough's of the game on YouTube, and it doesn't look too shabby. I've never really played an action-RPG before, so this might be an interesting experience. Thanks for the reply!

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']If you liked Heroes 2 and 3, it's probably a safe bet to say you'd enjoy 5. Try a demo if you need to, but I found 5 very solid. (Coming from a background of growing up on 2 and 3)[/QUOTE]
Good to know! I might just grab it then.

[quote name='gcorlett']Yes. I joined the Steam Group today (Fri) and instantly got the ticket from Thursday's activity (to join the Steam group).[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's perfect as it'll take a while to install some of these games such as shogun (10 gigabyte download).

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Aargh, I just *had* to try the demo to Just Cause 2 based on all of your recommendations, didn't I?!

Welp, there goes a few bucks for the game and the discounted DLC (all between $.25 and $.49). I went ahead and picked up the Just Cause 2 + Prima Guide combo which saved me $2.50 (since the guide is on sale for $4.99). So, for under $10 (I get charged tax here in Seattle =P) I got a great new game, all the DLC, and a $2.50 guide (which has terrible reviews, but what the hey). Hm, Steam should just do a fragging bundle for this if you ask me. I think it'd sell even better.[/QUOTE]

I am really jelous of you and others like you. Seriously between Borderlands and Just Cause 2 for less then $15 you have purchased dozens if not 100s of hours of fun.

[quote name='BitLooter']It's been cheaper before, I expect to see it for less than $7 before the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I hope so!

[quote name='dmdragon']By the way, Gothic 2 and 3 are 5 bucks each. Gothic games have always been pretty fun.[/QUOTE]

Back in March they were selling a bundle of Gothics 1, 2, and 3 for $6. Given JoWood is being liquidated I think it's a safe bet the Gothics will be one of the dailies so I'd wait it out.

Just tried all the JC2 DLC I picked up today. Totally worth the money. My favorites are the Air Gun (Big Ass Gun that shoots enough air out the equivalent of the exhaust side of an airplanes turbine engine), Cluster Bomb Gun, and the Hovercraft (Great on land AND sea)

[quote name='mediamixerj']the download servers must still being hammered by traffic as its a crawl on a few of the download server areas.[/QUOTE]

/nod iv been downloading Just Cause 2 for like 4 or 5 hours.....its like I am on PSN!

[quote name='MSI Magus']/nod iv been downloading Just Cause 2 for like 4 or 5 hours.....its like I am on PSN![/QUOTE]

During the Welcome Back Package it was even worse because you couldn't even access PSN Store but about the same once you can download.

damnit, i was hoping dmc4 would finally be $5. it was $10 last christmas too when I passed on it. How is capcom gonna put DMC4+Lost Planet2+Dead Rising ALL on sale together for $10 on xbox360, and leave pc gamers paying $10 for ONLY dmc4. you aint gettin MY money today capcom, not today.

[quote name='JakeNome']damnit, i was hoping dmc4 would finally be $5. it was $10 last christmas too when I passed on it. How is capcom gonna put DMC4+Lost Planet2+Dead Rising ALL on sale together for $10 on xbox360, and leave pc gamers paying $10 for ONLY dmc4. you aint gettin MY money today capcom, not today.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I have no idea how or what Capcom is thinking of late. I own the DMC4 Collector's for the PS3 and wouldn't mind buying it for PC also but $10 still especially on sale? They can do better then that.

[quote name='JakeNome']damnit, i was hoping dmc4 would finally be $5. it was $10 last christmas too when I passed on it. How is capcom gonna put DMC4+Lost Planet2+Dead Rising ALL on sale together for $10 on xbox360, and leave pc gamers paying $10 for ONLY dmc4. you aint gettin MY money today capcom, not today.[/QUOTE]

I don't think capcom made that decision, best buy did when they saw it wasn't selling at 19.99

[quote name='aznguyen316']still doing well, no purchases yet. I'm not even sure what I want.. maybe Dragon Age II for $20? lol[/QUOTE]

DA2 is worth that.
Granted - DA2 is definitely no DAO, but DA2 is still good.
It's just....DAO is an absolute masterpiece in just about every regard...

How well does Just Cause 2 run on older hardware? I have a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 256MB ATI 2600 Pro, Win 7. It's a 2007 iMac.

I'm on vacation on my phone otherwise I'd do research elsewhere or try the demo. Thanks!

anyone having trouble checking out? i'm getting an error message:

There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

bah

I have been waiting for Knights of the Old Republic for a while and it goes on sale when I have no money in my paypal :(

[quote name='MysterD']DA2 is worth that.
Granted - DA2 is definitely no DAO, but DA2 is still good.
It's just....DAO is an absolute masterpiece in just about every regard...[/QUOTE]

I found DAO to be an alright game, but DA2 was a disaster in my book. I couldn't pick out anything in that game that really appealed to me. It was a huge step back I thought.

to buy civ 5 off gamersgate uk for 11$ or not hmm, http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/
edit: steam is required for civ 5.
going to wait myself but that's because of all the unplayed games such as civ iv, on the list.

also gave in and bought anomaly enjoying it so far.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I know I'm the only one, but I'd love a Daily Deal on Winter Voices. I liked the first game, and picking up the rest for even better than 50% would make me quite happy. Still, the games are already 50% off. I'll get at least two episodes by the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I'd like one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evantrees']to buy civ 5 off gamersgate uk for 11$ [/QUOTE]

Civ 5 price on gamersgate is steal.

Can it be activated on Steam?

Thanks!!

[quote name='starcow']Civ 5 price on gamersgate is steal.

Can it be activated on Steam?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Civ 5 requires Steam period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back