Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RollingSkull']Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah is actually a good game. I was horrendously surprised.[/QUOTE]

Really?

I've always held back because I assumed it would be one of those indie games with a creative, wacky premise and visualizer graphics that I would get bored of within a few minutes.

Might have to try it out...

[quote name='utopianmachine']I know I'm the only one, but I'd love a Daily Deal on Winter Voices. I liked the first game, and picking up the rest for even better than 50% would make me quite happy. Still, the games are already 50% off. I'll get at least two episodes by the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to give the games a shot, but I'm waiting for a pack to go on sale... very disappointing there isn't one.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Really?

I've always held back because I assumed it would be one of those indie games with a creative, wacky premise and visualizer graphics that I would get bored of within a few minutes.

Might have to try it out...[/QUOTE]

Try the demo.

And yeah, I thought the same thing. At its heart it is definitely one of those stupid wacky indie games but it is satisfying. Basically, first person controls. You walk off a ledge and fall down a huge course, trying to graze close to as many buildings as you can and score long continuous grazes as well, while weaving between obstacles and collecting score plates while you fall. There's not a lot to it but it is satisfying at what it does.

It's amazing how many games I want to like I end up disliking and that I end up liking a few games I'm prepared to hate.

[quote name='Masx']I agree, I have no idea how or what Capcom is thinking of late. I own the DMC4 Collector's for the PS3 and wouldn't mind buying it for PC also but $10 still especially on sale? They can do better then that.[/QUOTE]

I agree.
I wanted to try the DMC series for once but they can do better than $10 for a game that's a couple years old now.
But that's good for me. I can now use my money for other games that I'm more keen to try out :)

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Just tried all the JC2 DLC I picked up today. Totally worth the money. My favorites are the Air Gun (Big Ass Gun that shoots enough air out the equivalent of the exhaust side of an airplanes turbine engine), Cluster Bomb Gun, and the Hovercraft (Great on land AND sea)[/QUOTE]

Good to see. I was considering which DLCs to buy, annnnd I impulse bought them all :). Don't think I can go wrong for $2.23...

Everyone getting slow speeds, try switching servers. American & UK servers are being swamped right now, but probably not so much in, say, Ukraine.

It's not as cheap and I have heard good things about them, there was even a link posted a week or so ago

http://cdkeysdiscount.com/108-the-witcher-2.html

19.99 for the deluxe edition and apparently it should work fine on the us steam. I read a lot of stores from the site, people tend to get the keys within minutes and if you have any problems the site owner usually fixes them very quickly by getting you another key. And I do believe that this is going to be the russian copy, so it would likely be the same one you would get if you got someone from ru to buy it for you, just a little for his trouble :p

It's a bit more but still way cheaper than we even got for the daily deal.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I know I'm the only one, but I'd love a Daily Deal on Winter Voices. I liked the first game, and picking up the rest for even better than 50% would make me quite happy. Still, the games are already 50% off. I'll get at least two episodes by the end of the sale.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm intrigued by Winter Voices, even if I'm not sure I'd love it. It might be a little too slow-paced for me. I'm trying to get the demo, but you know how Steam is these days...

Can anyone say whether Spellforce 1 and 2 is good or not? I'm not big on RPG games but I do like Shining Force style RPG's. Does Spellforce fit that mold where it is part diablo in the real world/turn based RPG in duels? The videos they have for it on steam don't show any of the gameplay, which is absurd.

For what its worth DMC 4 is a good game so while it should be lower than $10 by now, your more than getting a deal on it even at that price.

Holy Crap SpaceChem is a lot of fun, but it is VERY hard to get started.

I loved demon souls though, so I am fine with a game repeatedly making me feel like crap :)

Man I must hvae a big problem with my PC. I bought Amnesia and Penny Arcade at the winter sale and they didnt work and now Just Cause 2 crashes as well....grrrr. PC gaming = cheap for the games but pain in the ass playing them.

at 25% off I decided to go for Terraria, and after watching a youtube video on how to get started, I'm really enjoying this game. Totally worth $7.50 easily.

Also got Jamestown and Bit.Trip Runner which are both really good as well. ..and then got Just Cause 2 but still downloading. I love this sale. :)

[quote name='Dezuria']at 25% off I decided to go for Terraria, and after watching a youtube video on how to get started, I'm really enjoying this game.[/QUOTE]

What's the youtube video? After an hour and half in, I still don't get why it's fun? So far it's just been grinding.

[quote name='justme99z']Holy Crap SpaceChem is a lot of fun, but it is VERY hard to get started.

I loved demon souls though, so I am fine with a game repeatedly making me feel like crap :)[/QUOTE]

I just picked up SpaceChem today and feel the same way. Nice $5 impulse buy.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Actually, I'm intrigued by Winter Voices, even if I'm not sure I'd love it. It might be a little too slow-paced for me. I'm trying to get the demo, but you know how Steam is these days...[/QUOTE]

Winter Voices is on my list as well. I hope it goes daily!

[quote name='fyrtoes']Any word on the gratuitous space battles game?[/QUOTE]

Gratuitous space battles can be best described as a tower defense game with two competing space fleets. You have no control over the battle as it is being fought. Most of the game revolves around choosing the equipment/weapons, battle formation, and AI behavior of your fleet.

I have enjoyed the game so far.

[quote name='JakeNome']damnit, i was hoping dmc4 would finally be $5. it was $10 last christmas too when I passed on it. How is capcom gonna put DMC4+Lost Planet2+Dead Rising ALL on sale together for $10 on xbox360, and leave pc gamers paying $10 for ONLY dmc4. you aint gettin MY money today capcom, not today.[/QUOTE]
If you have a Five Below store near you, it may be worth checking out. I've seen DMC4 being sold there multiple times for your asking price.

[quote name='aznguyen316']still doing well, no purchases yet. I'm not even sure what I want.. maybe Dragon Age II for $20? lol[/QUOTE]
If you're looking to get Dragon Age: Ultimate, I would suggest Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Ultimate-Download/dp/B004APAEHA/

Currently, the download version is being offered at $11.97. I think that's about as low as it might go (with the exception of maybe the EA flash sales they have every now and then). And since Valve and EA aren't playing nice (if you look at games published by EA on Steam, practically none of them are on sale), it might be unlikely that it will be showing up as a daily deal. Granted, though, Steam did have Medal of Honor on the first day, so not all hope is lost. But I definitely wouldn't hold my breath.

As a side note, the offer by Amazon expires on (or before) July 4th. I'm still undecided since I would rather have it on Steam. But, as far as I know, the key provided by Amazon is able to be used to register the game on Origin (EA's digital distribution platform), if that makes you feel any better.

[quote name='paulcalypse']How well does Just Cause 2 run on older hardware? I have a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 256MB ATI 2600 Pro, Win 7. It's a 2007 iMac.

I'm on vacation on my phone otherwise I'd do research elsewhere or try the demo. Thanks![/QUOTE]
I think you meet the -bare- minimum. Here's what it says, according to the store page:

• Processor: Dual-core CPU with SSE3 (Athlon 64 X2 4200 / Pentium D 3GHz)
  • Memory: 2GB System Memory
  • Graphics: DX10 compatible graphics card with 256 MB of memory (Nvidia GeForce 8800 series/ ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro)

Compound with the fact that you're running it on a laptop, you may get less than stellar performance. You may expect it to run, but you just won't get all of the bells and whistles of the beautiful graphics (one of the game's selling points).

[quote name='samuelcole']What's the youtube video? After an hour and half in, I still don't get why it's fun? So far it's just been grinding.[/QUOTE]
Are you playing solo? 'Cause the game's more fun when played with others, especially some buddies. I personally love watching TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox playing. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89fW4MTJvRs

DMC4 was $5 during a daily deal in the Winter sale. Now it's $10? Really?

Thanks, Steam and Capcom. I'll wait until you come to your senses again.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']Gratuitous space battles can be best described as a tower defense game with two competing space fleets. You have no control over the battle as it is being fought. Most of the game revolves around choosing the equipment/weapons, battle formation, and AI behavior of your fleet.

I have enjoyed the game so far.[/QUOTE]
thanks yo

Tower defense FTL with me.

[quote name='paulcalypse']How well does Just Cause 2 run on older hardware? I have a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram, 256MB ATI 2600 Pro, Win 7. It's a 2007 iMac.[/QUOTE]
I have been playing it extensively (over 35% completion, which is a LOT) on my laptop (a 2.1GHz C2D and a passable GT130M). It looks and runs great, and I can even apply 2xAA, although I am limited to 1366x768. If you have any problems, switch the shadows down to 'low' (or even 'off').

Yesterday I bought Bit Trip Runner, Bit Trip Beat, Oblivion GOTY Deluxe, and Back to the Future.

Today I just got Knights of the Old Republic.

Damn you Steam. My wallet hates you :V

Holding out for Terraria and Jamestown to go a bit cheaper. Also got my eye on a couple of other indie games.

No one is really talking about the ARG event. I absolutely loved the Portal 2 one, and this one is almost as great. Even if the items aren't all that amazing, just the idea of it is awesome.

Hopefully Killing Floor comes up soon as a daily, they patched in a new level w/skins and achievements like they did for the Winter sale. Something everyone should at least check out.

[quote name='samuelcole']What's the youtube video? After an hour and half in, I still don't get why it's fun? So far it's just been grinding.[/QUOTE]
You find some artifacts at some point and can explore a bit more and can fight a boss with Terraria's lousy combat, but it's still just grinding and lousy combat.

I am still hideously nerdraged about the fact that Terraria is a top seller on Steam and JAMESTOWN isn't.

Jamestown is just great. But, yeah, it's totally gonna be a daily deal. I would be surprised if it wasn't.

He said he found a video on how to get started, not have fun. I am imagining the game is similar to Minecraft since that is what I have heard (obviously there is a 2d and 3d difference). And if it is then the fun will depend on whether or not you can give yourself a goal that you would find fun, which would ultimately leave you with a lot of grinding until you accomplished it.

At least that was how it is in Minecraft. Want to build Minas Tirith? Have fun grinding that for hours, weeks, or possibly months (depending on scale obviously), but if you want to achieve it then you will most likely be the person that would enjoy the grind. If not, then you probably aren't the person that will enjoy the grind.

[quote name='waatulakula']Has anyone tried Dungeons? It looks interesting, but before today's sale I had never heard of it or the developer.[/QUOTE]

I heard of it because it looked like Dungeon Keeper but then I heard that it was terrible so I just went and played DK2 instead.

I'd probably pick it up if it when cheaply on sale.

[quote name='mediamixerj']is dwarfs worth getting at 4.99? Also picked up a few of the 1.25 to 2 dollar titles.[/QUOTE]
Try the demo http://store.steampowered.com/app/35480/ It's kind of hard to describe. It's kind of a strategy game in that you buy dwarfs to spread out across an underground world and dig. They find good things and bad things and some really, really bad things. The challenge is keeping them out of trouble and managing their messes.

The part I like about the game is that it has a few little bonus games, one of which is a pretty cool tower defense game.

It isn't for everyone, but if you like the genre(s) then it's a great value.

Picked up Back to the Future yesterday and Heroes: Tribes today. Have 10 games in my wishlist that are on sale though, hopefully they'll be a daily deal before long!

Boy I love the Steam sales, but the wallet sure doesn't!

Picked up Back to the Future yesterday and Heroes: Tribes today. Have 10 games in my wishlist that are on sale though, hopefully they'll be a daily deal before long!

Boy I love the Steam sales, but the wallet sure doesn't!

It may have been mentioned already but Penny Arcade Adventures combo pack is dirt cheap ($1.80) - I think I'll have to grab it as it may run on a laptop with integrated graphics.

I picked up the penny arcade combo, Its a complete steal in my mind. Seemed to carry the humor of the comic, and be a decently fun rpg from what I have played so far. Its sad they only made the 2 eps.

this may not be the best place to ask this, but DAO is $12 on amazon, it seems...having never played it (but loving both mass effects) should i get it? i'd prefer it on steam - what are the chances that DAO will be discounted for this sale?

If anyone has the HoMM V pack, could you answer this for me? Why is the game and both expansions all separate executables? I haven't played a Heroes game since 3, but I remember just having to launch the a single executable and all of the expansions would be together.

civ iv is done similarily, heck i have the mac versions of some of it showing up separately, sadly.
apparently you have this option as well.

from someone else earlier,http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8622427&postcount=10523

For those who are looking to trim some fat off today's Heroes pack sale (savings of up to $2.50!
icon_biggrin.gif
) may opt to go for this route in which you only need to purchase "Tribes of the East" to fully experience the HoMM 5 campaign. I'll quote the user who posted about this earlier this year when Steam had the HoMM 5 pack on sale:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeeling
I'm just going to pass along something I found on a Rock, Paper, Shotgun discussion thread that some of you might find interesting, regarding the Ubisoft sale this week. The short and sweet of it is that you can have HOMM5 Complete from just buying HOMM5: TotE.

Dominic White says:
05/25/2011 at 14:30

Ah yes, I almost forgot – if you haven’t already got it, it might be a good time to snag Heroes of Might & Magic 5: Tribes of The East off Steam at the moment. It’s $6.66 at the moment, and it has two mods (of sorts) that make it a much better, more well rounded game.

The first, is the original two campaigns. Tribes of The East is the second expansion for HoMM5, but it’s a standalone game, too. Get these files: http://www.heroes-fr.com/en/original_campaigns.php – and you can play the original HoMM5 and Hammers of Fate campaigns in the upgraded ToTE engine. They don’t even behave like modded-in content. They just appear in the campaign menu as if they’d always meant to be there.

Secondly, a fan-patch which recently surfaced: http://www.bonddisc.com/ref/h5/
UI fixes, smarter AI and much better performance during CPU thinking cycles, especially on large maps. Get the Beta version from near the bottom of the page, as the current ‘stable’ build lacks native widescreen support.

In short, $6.66 gets you a bloody good, huge strategy-RPG with a bunch of improvements. It’s just a pity that Clash of Heroes (the Puzzle Quest-ish spinoff) isn’t coming to PC. Despite various internet tantrums over the cartoonish art-style, it’s a really, really good game.

So, yes. If you're only interested in the HoMM 5 series campaign mode and no interest in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (or if you already own it), then you can opt just for the "Tribes of the East" standalone game at a low, low price of $2.50.
icon_lol.gif

I might grab Back to the Future if it pops back up at the end. Kinda regret not getting Oblivion.

[quote name='solohunter']this may not be the best place to ask this, but DAO is $12 on amazon, it seems...having never played it (but loving both mass effects) should i get it? i'd prefer it on steam - what are the chances that DAO will be discounted for this sale?[/QUOTE]

Id say pretty high. It usually goes on sale. Im sure we will see Mass Effect here too. Honestly, Steam might as well make all the money it can off the games with EA trying to push Origin forward.

[quote name='Abeja']I might grab Back to the Future if it pops back up at the end. Kinda regret not getting Oblivion.

Id say pretty high. It usually goes on sale. Im sure we will see Mass Effect here too. Honestly, Steam might as well make all the money it can off the games with EA trying to push Origin forward.[/QUOTE]

I doubt it is up to Steam to decide the prices on games.

[quote name='Abeja']I might grab Back to the Future if it pops back up at the end. Kinda regret not getting Oblivion.

Id say pretty high. It usually goes on sale. Im sure we will see Mass Effect here too. Honestly, Steam might as well make all the money it can off the games with EA trying to push Origin forward.[/QUOTE]

i should say that it is DAO:ultimate edition that is $12 - do you guys think the steam price will come close to that?

[quote name='FastDontLie']If anyone has the HoMM V pack, could you answer this for me? Why is the game and both expansions all separate executables? I haven't played a Heroes game since 3, but I remember just having to launch the a single executable and all of the expansions would be together.[/QUOTE]

Both of the expansions introduce radical races, and it doesn't go back to the original story.

It's more like a mod pack on the base of the code, you run the other two to get those additions.

It was like that for one or two other games too in the series.

[quote name='FastDontLie']If anyone has the HoMM V pack, could you answer this for me? Why is the game and both expansions all separate executables? I haven't played a Heroes game since 3, but I remember just having to launch the a single executable and all of the expansions would be together.[/QUOTE]

Heroes 3 worked the same way. Each expansion launched on its own. Technically you could launch the last expansion and load up the campaigns from the other games, but they still had their own executable.

anyone could share the Heroes deal? I don't see it on my Steam.
EDIT: found.

are the JC2 DLC worth it?

[quote name='wilflare']anyone could share the Heroes deal? I don't see it on my Steam.
EDIT: found.

are the JC2 DLC worth it?[/QUOTE]

The real question is, if it isn't will you really complain about wasting .25 or .49 cents?

[quote name='Kaltic']The real question is, if it isn't will you really complain about wasting .25 or .49 cents?[/QUOTE]

Amazing how Cheap some of these Gamers are on these forums. :applause:

[quote name='Dalrint']Heroes 3 worked the same way. Each expansion launched on its own. Technically you could launch the last expansion and load up the campaigns from the other games, but they still had their own executable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I meant. I remember just popping in Armageddon's Blade and being able to play the older stuff. So does that mean I can just launch the newest expansion here and be able to play the original campaign maps?

[quote name='Bonobos']Anybody think that the time counter in Steam daily deals act weird?[/QUOTE]

Don't pay attention to the time counter it isnt always correct. The new deals start every day at 1pm EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back